Country Club Malt Liquor - Pabst Brewing Company

Country Club Malt LiquorCountry Club Malt Liquor

awful

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  5.86% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 04-03-2003)
mwa423

1.3/5  rDev -42.7%

A - Very light golden color, almost thought it was water watching it to come out of the can. A finger of very thin white head quickly disappear. Shake up a can of sprite and and pour it, it'll hold head longer.

S - Cereal, bready, some alcohol...I'm dreading drinking this

T - I was expecting horrible, so when it hit the tongue with all the flavor of Natural Light, I was pleasantly surprised...but then it hit me. It was like a shot of vodka that had been bombed into the beer. Gah, the alcohol made my face twist.

M/D - Mouthfeel worked, until the alcohol burn hit. Blech. Drinkability? You have to be kidding. If you want to imagine Popov vodka and bad beer, that's how drinkable it is.

02-12-2010 04:27:39 | More by mwa423
illidurit

1.4/5  rDev -38.3%

My housemate bought me this because it was literally the cheapest beer per ounce at Safeway.

Appearance is like post-asparagus urine. A slimy white froth sits atop the column of liquid.

Doesn't smell really like anything, maybe a bit mealy and corn syrupy.

Taste is pretty clean but still unappealing. Standard malt liquor corn sweetness with no hops whatsoever. Towards the end it degrades into basically sugary spritzer water.

Mouthfeel is too carbonated, paper thin, dirty.

This gave me a headache. Even for novelty's sake I won't be drinking this again.

11-08-2007 20:41:31 | More by illidurit
jjkatter

Australia

12-29-2011 15:03:49 | More by jjkatter
Sonofalime

06-19-2014 22:59:47 | More by Sonofalime
Overlord

1.5/5  rDev -33.9%

Now this is one atrocious beer, even for its type.

Pours the same sickly yellow color we come to expect. Not much head.

Just a disgusting skunky corn taste. No redeeming quality. I used to reject this regularly in favor of more palatable malt liquors.

Cool name, and that's about it.

05-03-2008 08:48:47 | More by Overlord
mrfrancis

Kentucky

1.55/5  rDev -31.7%

A: From the can, this beer pours a clear yellow with a big, rocky white head. Head retention is much better than I would normally expect from a beer of this style.

S: Very sterile on the nose, with aromas of roasted corn, grain husks, and an odd fruity smell reminiscent of green apple. The aromas present are a bit repellent, but I don't think that any malt liquor is designed to smell good, so it doesn't really matter.

T: This beer starts off sweet with definite fruity accents. I'm picking up green apple, as well as grain husks, roasted corn, minerals, wet straw, and a touch of grassy hops. As the beer warms a bit, cooked vegetable, lemon, and alcohol notes creep out of the woodwork. The finish is short and simple with grain husk and corn notes.

M: Light bodied and dry. The beer has a flabby, lethargic feel to it despite the presence of relatively active, crisp carbonation. Not drinkable at all.

O: Well, it is a typical American malt liquor, which is to say that this beer was probably never intended to be all that great. Compared to other examples of the style, it's not absolutely wretched, but it is extremely close. Actually, scratch that. It's wretched.

11-30-2011 15:26:39 | More by mrfrancis

01-17-2013 06:33:13 | More by spycow
TWebb

South Carolina

1.99/5  rDev -12.3%

Cheap, moderately harsh, and associated with certain reviled demographics, this is everything I seek in a beer. Livin' high with Country Club! Pouring a pale yellow with plenty of carbonation, it comes out of the can the same way it comes out of me. The aroma is of a fine industrial quality. I take a draught and immediately notice that unnamed, cryptic harshness of mysterious origins common to all malt liquors. Not much else hits me. Are hops used in this? I don't know. Are lawn trimmings used in this? Not sure, but if so, they are used stingily so as not to impart much flavor. As I swirl it around in my facial beer receptacle, pondering on the vagaries of brewing this fine beverage, I wonder if I am tasting a faint hint of malt. But malted what? Can sorrow be malted? Perhaps not. Perhaps it was just my imagination. But the harshness returns in the finish. That much I am not imagining. Ahh, good stuff! (But seriously, if the alternative is Leffe Blonde or some such rotten skunk, I will happily drink Country Club all day.)

09-26-2013 20:22:05 | More by TWebb

11-23-2011 01:09:23 | More by djrn2
rrob311

New Hampshire

2.15/5  rDev -5.3%

I bought a 40 of this at Safeway many years ago.

A- Looks like normal beer to me, very clear.

S- Didnt smell all too great from what I remember, not terribly bad though.

T- This is probably my least favorite malt liquor that I can think of.

M- Mouthfeel is very bubbly.

D- I probably will not buy this again, I might drink a glass if someone had some that was cold.

12-31-2007 21:25:46 | More by rrob311
BEERchitect

Kentucky

2.17/5  rDev -4.4%

I had no real justification for buying or drinking this beer, I just saw it on the shelf and said, "what the heck".

Appearance certainly fit the bill with a brilliant straw sheen and fared quite well in the head formation and retention catagory despite seeming fizzy at times. Actually left some lacing on the glass and had some foam left when I finished the glass... yes I poured it into a glass, but did feel like I should have wrapped the glass in a papper bag.

Aromas, yea not so well. The beer has a wet grain scent with mild pilsner malts lying closely behind. No real hop character to mention in the nose.

Tastes the same grain-forawrd maltiness with only a subtle hint of delicate pilzn malts--does it save the beer? Well no, but it keeps it from pure disaster. A serious pang of alcohol (ethanol) and lends a sharp bitterness aside from the hops.

Textures are thin because of the lack of meaningful maltiness and the over-use of simple sugars to boost alcohol. Somehow the beer strives to acheive a balance that keeps the beer from becoming a total drain-pour. A bit less than clean in the finish but, again, this is a malt liquor.

Ultimately a tolerable beer if you like most ice-beers. I was able to finish the foudy, but barely.

01-24-2009 04:14:56 | More by BEERchitect
PintOHops

2.2/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured some from a 40oz bottle into a pint glass, drank the rest from the bottle.

Appearance/Smell - Appears pale straw yellow with about half and inch of frothy head, and surprisingly, it retains very well and even leaves soapy lacing. Highly carbonated, lots of little strings of never ending carbonation, one of the better looking Malt liquors Iv ever seen! Smells of a very potent, acidic, tart grape aroma, coupled with an almost as powerful corn & grain aroma. Ugh! It almost made me sick, the aromas get very tiring, in fact it almost reminded me of a more powerful smelling Miller High Life.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes of a dominate sweet, grainy/rice flavor, coupled with apple, tart grape, pair, and lite citrus flavors, there manages to be some apparent bitterness on the finish as well. Very corny overall and not to enjoyable. Mouthfeel is smooth, lots of bite on the tongue from the carbonation, watery, and very lite bodied.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - In a way this Malt was very easy to drink, but the flavors and aroma quickly get old, if not sickening, as they did with me. To me, it tasted like a really bad American Adjunct Lager, and there wasn't even any classic Malt Liquor flavors. I enjoy Malt Liquor, but this was just tiring to me, way to corny! I don't recommend this Malt at all, if your looking for something easy to drink and with a lower ABV, than Id say go with Mickeys, or King Cobra. Just not this stuff, not a fan.

05-12-2009 23:15:01 | More by PintOHops