Country Club Malt Liquor - Pabst Brewing Company

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 04-03-2003

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.66/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

(40oz, twist-off, bottle date Feb1516 - poured into a Chouffe tulip)

L: crystal-clear, light gold liquid... foam sizzles away immediately, leaves a thin, spit-y collar...

S: in my memory, never have I smelled skunk as rank on a beer as I did with this as soon as I opened it - it was crazy how powerful... once that stench wafts off, what's left is some actually nice, beer-y maltiness - but not enough to cover up the stank

T: a wash of malty, beer flavor followed seconds later by a wave of nasty skunk - Heineken, first thing that pops into mind... the aftertaste is certainly maltier than said Dutch lager, and in a weird way it sort of almost balances the skunk lingering on the palate... dull, bitter cardboard flavor builds on the palate - might actually be the hops... overall, malt flavor at its minimum, flat and crumbly on the back end

F: light (but not thin) and delicately silky on the flow... little bit of acid and sizzle on the back end... strange sort of plaster-y film builds on the tongue if you wait too long between sips... this is definitely packing suds... it's making my nose run - is that normal?

O: the foundation seems okay - nothing distinctive stands out in its taste (aside from skunk ass)... why oh why don't all macros use hop extract for clear-bottled hard lagers... this one gives the genre a bad name - it's a shame, as it's probably not much less well-made than its market counterparts... curious to get the canned version, if one exists

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Second can picked up from the cheapo bin at Kroger. Best-by date on the bottom says December 21st, 2015.

Poured into a standard pint glass; very pale yellow while pouring, a tad darker in the glass. It's very clear, with lots of bubbles rising up constantly. Actually has a decent-looking head of foam on it at first, and though it shrinks away somewhat quickly it does leave behind a ring around the edge of the glass and some "islands" of thin foam on top.

Smell upon first cracking open the can was a pretty strong blast of corn and funkiness, though it wasn't nearly as flat-out *bad* as the smell from the first can, which I remember being by far the grossest smell I'd ever gotten from a beer (it was much more sulfurous than what I got this time, I'd almost describe it as "farty") -- I wonder why there was such a difference? Either way, the smell fades once it's in the glass for a bit, but taking a sniff gets you some corn and a bit of some not-so-pleasant sweetness. Fortunately, that weird sweetness does fade away after a while so you mostly smell just a bit of corn. It's not the worst smelling beer I've had, but definitely not all that great either, and I have to count the initial nasty smelling blast upon opening the can against it even if it is a bit more pleasant afterward.

Taste is actually a good bit nicer than the smell. It's pretty pleasant overall, actually -- certainly not what I expected going by what I've heard about malt liquor in general. The primary flavor is sweet corn, and there's also a bready, grainy malt kind of thing going on in there. There's also a bit of a not-so-pleasant sweetness which reminds me of the similar flavor I picked up in Busch Signature (just a bit more than in this one) and Foster's Ale (so strong it was overpowering and, when I got to the second half of that giant can, a drain-pour.) That kinda-gross sweetness seems to come out more if you drink bigger gulps, but even then it's still not quite strong enough to make the overall flavor outright *bad.* On a positive note, that weird sweetness (much like the smell) seems to be "tamed" more and more toward the bottom of the glass, Maybe this actually benefits somewhat from being allowed to warm a bit, contrary to all I've heard about lighter-colored cheap beers being best when ice cold.

Mouthfeel is actually pretty nice -- I was pleasantly surprised by this aspect of the beer. It's not super fizzy and prickly, but it's not at all watery or thin-feeling at all, it actually feels somewhat substantial which makes it easier to drink smaller amounts at a time to prevent the nasty sweetness from building up too much. Leaves an interesting slick/sticky sort of feel on the lips and tongue after drinking a bit, haven't had many beers that did that but I kinda like it. No complaints here.

Overall -- is this a great beer? Nah, not really. But considering the horror stories I've heard about how bad malt liquor is in general, I was honestly pretty surprised by this one -- it may not be anything super amazing, but it's definitely not anything super awful either. I've actually found it pretty pleasant to drink both times I've had it, the only real negative is the smell and even that's not so bad after the initial blast upon opening the can. If you can't afford the prices of most "craft" six-packs but still want something that tastes halfway-decent and feels like more than just light fizzy beer-water, this really wouldn't be all that bad of a choice -- I'd certainly take it over something like Bud Light, especially considering that this is 2 dollars cheaper for a six-pack!

2.46/5  rDev -0.8%

Wow, a blast from my teenage years in Florida. I bought this on the wrong side of the tracks at a gas station in southern Virginia. When I cracked this quart bottle the first thing I noticed was the skunky aroma. the flavor was traditional ghetto malt liquor. which I grew up on. with that said, the brew was ok, but lacked carbonation to match the flavor. not completely horrible; but you get what you expected with this beer. A cheap buzz with little complexity.

4.25/5  rDev +71.4%

very malty taste. taste almost like a soggy paper bag or cherrios. i miss this brew, one of my favorite 40 oz.'s Great memories of being 21 and reckless. This has been hard to find in northern cali, but a must try, much more pleasant than the traditional 40 oz. out there.

1.28/5  rDev -48.4%

What can you say, if you have $1.39 and want to catch a buzz you can. It is strong and nasty at best. I once slammed 1 1/2~40oz and was wrecked, laying on across train tracks. It's nasty tasting. Very watery flavour. It gave me a hang over the next day. The beer does not stay cold on top of it.

1.98/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Cheap, moderately harsh, and associated with certain reviled demographics, this is everything I seek in a beer. Livin' high with Country Club! Pouring a pale yellow with plenty of carbonation, it comes out of the can the same way it comes out of me. The aroma is of a fine industrial quality. I take a draught and immediately notice that unnamed, cryptic harshness of mysterious origins common to all malt liquors. Not much else hits me. Are hops used in this? I don't know. Are lawn trimmings used in this? Not sure, but if so, they are used stingily so as not to impart much flavor. As I swirl it around in my facial beer receptacle, pondering on the vagaries of brewing this fine beverage, I wonder if I am tasting a faint hint of malt. But malted what? Can sorrow be malted? Perhaps not. Perhaps it was just my imagination. But the harshness returns in the finish. That much I am not imagining. Ahh, good stuff! (But seriously, if the alternative is Leffe Blonde or some such rotten skunk, I will happily drink Country Club all day.)

3.2/5  rDev +29%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

From the 40 ounce bomber stamped: OCT2912-EO5112020. Sampled on June 26, 2013.

The Granddaddy of Malt Liquors! Great double crack on the twist-off cap. It pours pale yellow with a tremendous milk shake-like white head that takes a good 2-3 minutes to dissipate. Hey! It looks like a malt liquor should but not golden like Colt 45.

The malt aroma is much more sweet and buttery than cloying. That's considerably better than I expected after reading earlier reviews. Even some yeast. Hops in the background are clean and crisp.

The body is light to medium.

The taste is malt forward but not sharp or biting like so many malt liquors can be. It does not make me grit my teeth when I drink it. Actually it is smooth and on the sweet side. Not really dry at the end but a vague lingering bitterness. I find it to be a decent malt liquor and nowhere near as gut-clearing as others I have had.

3.7/5  rDev +49.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Its been a little while since Ive last hopped on the fo-tay train. 40 oz clear bottle pours into a mason jar a clear gold color with a decent cap of fluffy white head. Actually has some pretty decent retention, no lacing.

Nose is definitely corn-a-licious, but it is surprisingly unoffensive. For a forty, you really cant ask for much more. Maybe a touch of hops would be nice, but none are to be found here.

Hmmm, not bad. Clean and fairly crisp. It is not as sweet as most Malt Liquors and there is actually a little bit of dryness on the finish. Its on the low side ABV-wise and that probably is why it feels lighter than most of this style. I actually prefer mine in the 6-7% range, otherwise I just feel like I might as well be drinking a Coors. But I must say that of all the Malt Liquors I have had, this one tastes the lightest, most crisp and is probably the least offensive. Dare I say that I wont have much trouble finishing the bottle? Something about drinking out of a 40 oz bottle soothes the soul!

2.27/5  rDev -8.5%

Served from a 12oz can into a Sam pint glass.

A: Light golden. Head dissipates as quickly as it arrives and becomes nothing more than a thin white rim afterwards.

S: Smells of apple cider. Sugary sweet.

T: Alcohol overpowers the slight sweetness of the less-regarded grains.

M: Medium-carbonated, but under-carbonated for the style. Thin-to-medium body.

O: Not sure where to place this on the scale of the style. Certainly not the best. Maybe not the most offensive, but I can't think of an example that's rougher at the moment. Carbonation is too thin and not nearly sweet enough to cover-up the rough alcohol taste that is ever-more apparent as it warms up.

1.56/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A: From the can, this beer pours a clear yellow with a big, rocky white head. Head retention is much better than I would normally expect from a beer of this style.

S: Very sterile on the nose, with aromas of roasted corn, grain husks, and an odd fruity smell reminiscent of green apple. The aromas present are a bit repellent, but I don't think that any malt liquor is designed to smell good, so it doesn't really matter.

T: This beer starts off sweet with definite fruity accents. I'm picking up green apple, as well as grain husks, roasted corn, minerals, wet straw, and a touch of grassy hops. As the beer warms a bit, cooked vegetable, lemon, and alcohol notes creep out of the woodwork. The finish is short and simple with grain husk and corn notes.

M: Light bodied and dry. The beer has a flabby, lethargic feel to it despite the presence of relatively active, crisp carbonation. Not drinkable at all.

O: Well, it is a typical American malt liquor, which is to say that this beer was probably never intended to be all that great. Compared to other examples of the style, it's not absolutely wretched, but it is extremely close. Actually, scratch that. It's wretched.

2.54/5  rDev +2.4%

Purchased across from the cop shop in Weed, CA. Rough yellow appearance. Looks like the return on rented beer. Mild sweet, corny aroma, not offensive.

Sweet, stale alcohol breath flavor to it, no hopping, might be an all corn beer, or at least a substantial portion of it. I've had worse. A little gritty, reminds me of grain belt. Doesn't seem all that alcoholic taste wise. Does seem oxidized what is there.

Wasn't bad to have before lunch. Poured a tad of it out for Macho Man, who died the day before.

2.38/5  rDev -4%

Drank from a 32 oz. bottle.

A: A typical dingy yellow.

S: Corn, Metal, And a sick sweet finish.

T: Bready, Slight Alcohol, And Corn.

M: Fairly thin, not overbearing.

O: It's a malt, not great, not terrible, it's cheap and efficient. Have one, it's fairly rare, but there is much better things out there.

3.19/5  rDev +28.6%

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of corn and malts. Taste is like the smell, malts with some corn and a touch of alcohol. Feels light in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall not bad as far as malt liquors go.

1.36/5  rDev -45.2%

A - Very light golden color, almost thought it was water watching it to come out of the can. A finger of very thin white head quickly disappear. Shake up a can of sprite and and pour it, it'll hold head longer.

S - Cereal, bready, some alcohol...I'm dreading drinking this

T - I was expecting horrible, so when it hit the tongue with all the flavor of Natural Light, I was pleasantly surprised...but then it hit me. It was like a shot of vodka that had been bombed into the beer. Gah, the alcohol made my face twist.

M/D - Mouthfeel worked, until the alcohol burn hit. Blech. Drinkability? You have to be kidding. If you want to imagine Popov vodka and bad beer, that's how drinkable it is.

2.19/5  rDev -11.7%

I noticed that many of my fellow CAN reviewers mentioned their background with this beer and I sadly, I have none. We heard of this when we were young and underage but other beers were available and this never seemed to make it our way. In the interim, as a budding historian and a collector of patches to be sewn onto my many jackets, I became curious to at least try it. CAN you dig it?

The pour produced two rocky, bone-white fingers' worth of head that fell like yesterday's snow but actually left some lacing in its wake. Color was a golden yellow with NE-quality clarity. The nose really left something to be desired - it was at once metallic, fusel, grapey, cereal sweet, like the worst of everything blended together into a hot mess. Yow! Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was not as unpleasant as the nose led me to expect. It was sweet, sure, but the alcohol was not up front making it bearable. Finish was also slightly sweet but not unbearable. I was left bemused by the whole thing. If this is what I missed out on in my youth, I did not miss much.

2.3/5  rDev -7.3%

Never heard of this before and wanted to give it a try...

Nice minimalistic (ie cheap) label on the front.. standard yellowish brew inside.

Aroma is not too clean and heavy on the corn and bready malt.

Taste is sort of like MHL and Coors blended together but a little more dry and with some perceptible hop flavor lingering in there.

Mouthfeel is extrordinarily light and dry and almost acidic.

An interesting buy, but I'll stick to OE when I'm in the mood for a 40.

2.22/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured some from a 40oz bottle into a pint glass, drank the rest from the bottle.

Appearance/Smell - Appears pale straw yellow with about half and inch of frothy head, and surprisingly, it retains very well and even leaves soapy lacing. Highly carbonated, lots of little strings of never ending carbonation, one of the better looking Malt liquors Iv ever seen! Smells of a very potent, acidic, tart grape aroma, coupled with an almost as powerful corn & grain aroma. Ugh! It almost made me sick, the aromas get very tiring, in fact it almost reminded me of a more powerful smelling Miller High Life.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes of a dominate sweet, grainy/rice flavor, coupled with apple, tart grape, pair, and lite citrus flavors, there manages to be some apparent bitterness on the finish as well. Very corny overall and not to enjoyable. Mouthfeel is smooth, lots of bite on the tongue from the carbonation, watery, and very lite bodied.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - In a way this Malt was very easy to drink, but the flavors and aroma quickly get old, if not sickening, as they did with me. To me, it tasted like a really bad American Adjunct Lager, and there wasn't even any classic Malt Liquor flavors. I enjoy Malt Liquor, but this was just tiring to me, way to corny! I don't recommend this Malt at all, if your looking for something easy to drink and with a lower ABV, than Id say go with Mickeys, or King Cobra. Just not this stuff, not a fan.

2.41/5  rDev -2.8%

One more daring trip down the gas station beer cooler. The beer was served cold and poured in a glass.

Appearance: The beer has a straw yellow coloration. The head is about 1 finger high. Fairly good retention noted on the head.

Smell: The beers aroma smells like a sack of wet grain.

Taste: The flavor is sweetened corn. The alcohol gives it a slight twang to break the sweetness. Nothing unexpected to the flavor. No off flavors noted.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The beer has a light body. The carbonation is high. The drinkability is ok as long as the beer is ice cold and drank fast.

2.21/5  rDev -10.9%

I had no real justification for buying or drinking this beer, I just saw it on the shelf and said, "what the heck".

Appearance certainly fit the bill with a brilliant straw sheen and fared quite well in the head formation and retention catagory despite seeming fizzy at times. Actually left some lacing on the glass and had some foam left when I finished the glass... yes I poured it into a glass, but did feel like I should have wrapped the glass in a papper bag.

Aromas, yea not so well. The beer has a wet grain scent with mild pilsner malts lying closely behind. No real hop character to mention in the nose.

Tastes the same grain-forawrd maltiness with only a subtle hint of delicate pilzn malts--does it save the beer? Well no, but it keeps it from pure disaster. A serious pang of alcohol (ethanol) and lends a sharp bitterness aside from the hops.

Textures are thin because of the lack of meaningful maltiness and the over-use of simple sugars to boost alcohol. Somehow the beer strives to acheive a balance that keeps the beer from becoming a total drain-pour. A bit less than clean in the finish but, again, this is a malt liquor.

Ultimately a tolerable beer if you like most ice-beers. I was able to finish the foudy, but barely.

3.36/5  rDev +35.5%

This is clearly among the better malt liquors out there to me.

Golden, it has a medium white head that is unusually dense and long-lasting, shrinking very slowly to a small permanent head and leaving beautiful, long-lasting lacing in even rings.

The aroma is grain with hints of alcohol/wine and hint of feed grain.

The taste is much better, similar to a pleasant basic pale lager but with good sweet-bitter balance, decent fullness, well-rounded grain, a faint nuty hint and a light, crisp, spicey finish of apple cider, with a light alcoholic warmth and spice. It's light and smooth, but still tasty and interesting without being unpleasant.

1.5/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Now this is one atrocious beer, even for its type.

Pours the same sickly yellow color we come to expect. Not much head.

Just a disgusting skunky corn taste. No redeeming quality. I used to reject this regularly in favor of more palatable malt liquors.

Cool name, and that's about it.

2.86/5  rDev +15.3%

I can't even believe I bought this, however, I am a firm believer that every beer has some redeeming value, however small, so for the sake of knowledge and experience I dropped a WHOLE DOLLAR on a 40 oz. bottle of this liquid beast.

For one, it comes in a clear bottle, bright yellow, a bubble or two at the top but thats it. I didn't even bother to pour it, however, the little that I did had no head whatsoever.

Smells like beer and a faint hint of corn, not much else.

Taste was, I have to say, better than I expected. I am NOT a fan at all of malt liquor, it gives me a nasty gut cramp, so I aproached this one with trepidation. The taste was a bit sweet, malty and a mix of corn and grain. Not really any strong tastes, and it went down pretty smooth with little to no aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was very smooth, went down much like water. Almost no detectable carbonation and no aftetaste. Weight was really light.

Drinkability here is a bit above average. In the event that I ever want a cheap ( and seriously, it's only a damn dollar) malt beverage, this is a viable option. I'll probably get a few more.

2.64/5  rDev +6.5%

40oz bottle into my Molson pilsner glass and drank from the bottle to the dome.

A: Crystal clear olden color. Pours with a finger of fluffy white head. Hints of lacing.

S:Sweet malt and corn. No real big surprise there.

T: Not too bad for the style. The sweet corn really does dominate. Fairly bland really.

M: Sex in a canoe. Carbonation is decent. Mouthfeel finishes very dry.

D: For what it is not too bad. Had not drank a 40 in a long time. I did feel dirty buying it and it was the first time I got carded in a while.

2.68/5  rDev +8.1%

A- Poured into Piraat tulip (This is an entropic attempt based on my expectations of this consumable.) Clear, pale golden in color with a suprisingly fluffy white head. Hmmm... Not a bad start.

S- Sweet adjucts & corn. I mean, sweet corn and adjuncts. Smells like a frat party.

T- I'm told this is one of the better malt liquors on the market, but I didn't grow up in Section 8 housing, so I can't verify that. Just tastes like corn and adjuncts. There is a pleasing sweetness to the finish that's a bit shocking. I kinda expected it to taste like poverty.

M- Thin and nasty. Astringent-y. Eww.

D- Review's done. The remainder's going down the drain unless aerozeppl wants to finish it.

3.2/5  rDev +29%

40, served in a 40oz bottle, screw cap included.

clear golden color, smells sweet and grainy, sweet tasty malt and corn, thin and smooth, the last few swigs on a 40 are tough, but if you breath out of your nose while you drink it gets down.

ABV is unknown, but sucking down 40 ounces of this beer in 15 minutes or less gets you 'nice'.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast