Country Club Malt Liquor - Pabst Brewing Company

Country Club Malt LiquorCountry Club Malt Liquor

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  5.86% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 04-03-2003)
2.25/5  rDev -3.4%

I noticed that many of my fellow CAN reviewers mentioned their background with this beer and I sadly, I have none. We heard of this when we were young and underage but other beers were available and this never seemed to make it our way. In the interim, as a budding historian and a collector of patches to be sewn onto my many jackets, I became curious to at least try it. CAN you dig it?

The pour produced two rocky, bone-white fingers' worth of head that fell like yesterday's snow but actually left some lacing in its wake. Color was a golden yellow with NE-quality clarity. The nose really left something to be desired - it was at once metallic, fusel, grapey, cereal sweet, like the worst of everything blended together into a hot mess. Yow! Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was not as unpleasant as the nose led me to expect. It was sweet, sure, but the alcohol was not up front making it bearable. Finish was also slightly sweet but not unbearable. I was left bemused by the whole thing. If this is what I missed out on in my youth, I did not miss much.

2.33/5  rDev 0%

Never heard of this before and wanted to give it a try...

Nice minimalistic (ie cheap) label on the front.. standard yellowish brew inside.

Aroma is not too clean and heavy on the corn and bready malt.

Taste is sort of like MHL and Coors blended together but a little more dry and with some perceptible hop flavor lingering in there.

Mouthfeel is extrordinarily light and dry and almost acidic.

An interesting buy, but I'll stick to OE when I'm in the mood for a 40.

2.2/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured some from a 40oz bottle into a pint glass, drank the rest from the bottle.

Appearance/Smell - Appears pale straw yellow with about half and inch of frothy head, and surprisingly, it retains very well and even leaves soapy lacing. Highly carbonated, lots of little strings of never ending carbonation, one of the better looking Malt liquors Iv ever seen! Smells of a very potent, acidic, tart grape aroma, coupled with an almost as powerful corn & grain aroma. Ugh! It almost made me sick, the aromas get very tiring, in fact it almost reminded me of a more powerful smelling Miller High Life.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes of a dominate sweet, grainy/rice flavor, coupled with apple, tart grape, pair, and lite citrus flavors, there manages to be some apparent bitterness on the finish as well. Very corny overall and not to enjoyable. Mouthfeel is smooth, lots of bite on the tongue from the carbonation, watery, and very lite bodied.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - In a way this Malt was very easy to drink, but the flavors and aroma quickly get old, if not sickening, as they did with me. To me, it tasted like a really bad American Adjunct Lager, and there wasn't even any classic Malt Liquor flavors. I enjoy Malt Liquor, but this was just tiring to me, way to corny! I don't recommend this Malt at all, if your looking for something easy to drink and with a lower ABV, than Id say go with Mickeys, or King Cobra. Just not this stuff, not a fan.

2.42/5  rDev +3.9%

One more daring trip down the gas station beer cooler. The beer was served cold and poured in a glass.

Appearance: The beer has a straw yellow coloration. The head is about 1 finger high. Fairly good retention noted on the head.

Smell: The beers aroma smells like a sack of wet grain.

Taste: The flavor is sweetened corn. The alcohol gives it a slight twang to break the sweetness. Nothing unexpected to the flavor. No off flavors noted.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The beer has a light body. The carbonation is high. The drinkability is ok as long as the beer is ice cold and drank fast.

2.17/5  rDev -6.9%

I had no real justification for buying or drinking this beer, I just saw it on the shelf and said, "what the heck".

Appearance certainly fit the bill with a brilliant straw sheen and fared quite well in the head formation and retention catagory despite seeming fizzy at times. Actually left some lacing on the glass and had some foam left when I finished the glass... yes I poured it into a glass, but did feel like I should have wrapped the glass in a papper bag.

Aromas, yea not so well. The beer has a wet grain scent with mild pilsner malts lying closely behind. No real hop character to mention in the nose.

Tastes the same grain-forawrd maltiness with only a subtle hint of delicate pilzn malts--does it save the beer? Well no, but it keeps it from pure disaster. A serious pang of alcohol (ethanol) and lends a sharp bitterness aside from the hops.

Textures are thin because of the lack of meaningful maltiness and the over-use of simple sugars to boost alcohol. Somehow the beer strives to acheive a balance that keeps the beer from becoming a total drain-pour. A bit less than clean in the finish but, again, this is a malt liquor.

Ultimately a tolerable beer if you like most ice-beers. I was able to finish the foudy, but barely.

3.38/5  rDev +45.1%

This is clearly among the better malt liquors out there to me.

Golden, it has a medium white head that is unusually dense and long-lasting, shrinking very slowly to a small permanent head and leaving beautiful, long-lasting lacing in even rings.

The aroma is grain with hints of alcohol/wine and hint of feed grain.

The taste is much better, similar to a pleasant basic pale lager but with good sweet-bitter balance, decent fullness, well-rounded grain, a faint nuty hint and a light, crisp, spicey finish of apple cider, with a light alcoholic warmth and spice. It's light and smooth, but still tasty and interesting without being unpleasant.

1.5/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Now this is one atrocious beer, even for its type.

Pours the same sickly yellow color we come to expect. Not much head.

Just a disgusting skunky corn taste. No redeeming quality. I used to reject this regularly in favor of more palatable malt liquors.

Cool name, and that's about it.

2.9/5  rDev +24.5%

I can't even believe I bought this, however, I am a firm believer that every beer has some redeeming value, however small, so for the sake of knowledge and experience I dropped a WHOLE DOLLAR on a 40 oz. bottle of this liquid beast.

For one, it comes in a clear bottle, bright yellow, a bubble or two at the top but thats it. I didn't even bother to pour it, however, the little that I did had no head whatsoever.

Smells like beer and a faint hint of corn, not much else.

Taste was, I have to say, better than I expected. I am NOT a fan at all of malt liquor, it gives me a nasty gut cramp, so I aproached this one with trepidation. The taste was a bit sweet, malty and a mix of corn and grain. Not really any strong tastes, and it went down pretty smooth with little to no aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was very smooth, went down much like water. Almost no detectable carbonation and no aftetaste. Weight was really light.

Drinkability here is a bit above average. In the event that I ever want a cheap ( and seriously, it's only a damn dollar) malt beverage, this is a viable option. I'll probably get a few more.

2.68/5  rDev +15%

40oz bottle into my Molson pilsner glass and drank from the bottle to the dome.

A: Crystal clear olden color. Pours with a finger of fluffy white head. Hints of lacing.

S:Sweet malt and corn. No real big surprise there.

T: Not too bad for the style. The sweet corn really does dominate. Fairly bland really.

M: Sex in a canoe. Carbonation is decent. Mouthfeel finishes very dry.

D: For what it is not too bad. Had not drank a 40 in a long time. I did feel dirty buying it and it was the first time I got carded in a while.

2.7/5  rDev +15.9%

A- Poured into Piraat tulip (This is an entropic attempt based on my expectations of this consumable.) Clear, pale golden in color with a suprisingly fluffy white head. Hmmm... Not a bad start.

S- Sweet adjucts & corn. I mean, sweet corn and adjuncts. Smells like a frat party.

T- I'm told this is one of the better malt liquors on the market, but I didn't grow up in Section 8 housing, so I can't verify that. Just tastes like corn and adjuncts. There is a pleasing sweetness to the finish that's a bit shocking. I kinda expected it to taste like poverty.

M- Thin and nasty. Astringent-y. Eww.

D- Review's done. The remainder's going down the drain unless aerozeppl wants to finish it.

3.23/5  rDev +38.6%

40, served in a 40oz bottle, screw cap included.

clear golden color, smells sweet and grainy, sweet tasty malt and corn, thin and smooth, the last few swigs on a 40 are tough, but if you breath out of your nose while you drink it gets down.

ABV is unknown, but sucking down 40 ounces of this beer in 15 minutes or less gets you 'nice'.

3.23/5  rDev +38.6%

This is a nostalgia review. When I was a kid (About 40 years ago) this product was sold in short 8 ounce (?) cans in a six pack. We used to refer to it as CC. One of it's pluses was a sixer was easy to conceal and the high (at the time) alcohol content. (5.5%) This was daring stuff for a young person in an era of 3.2% beer!

The six pack slid right down into a golf bag and was readily accessible once on the course. I used to go golfing with a buddy of the same age and we would split a sixer on the links with declining results on our golf game. We always had a good time anyway.

I remember this brew had a too-sweet taste compared to the macro-brews of the time but was satifying on a hot day as long as it remained cold.

2.15/5  rDev -7.7%

I bought a 40 of this at Safeway many years ago.

A- Looks like normal beer to me, very clear.

S- Didnt smell all too great from what I remember, not terribly bad though.

T- This is probably my least favorite malt liquor that I can think of.

M- Mouthfeel is very bubbly.

D- I probably will not buy this again, I might drink a glass if someone had some that was cold.

1.4/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

My housemate bought me this because it was literally the cheapest beer per ounce at Safeway.

Appearance is like post-asparagus urine. A slimy white froth sits atop the column of liquid.

Doesn't smell really like anything, maybe a bit mealy and corn syrupy.

Taste is pretty clean but still unappealing. Standard malt liquor corn sweetness with no hops whatsoever. Towards the end it degrades into basically sugary spritzer water.

Mouthfeel is too carbonated, paper thin, dirty.

This gave me a headache. Even for novelty's sake I won't be drinking this again.

40 ounce bottle from Food 4 Less in Redlands

Poured a golden color with a pretty thick foamy head due to a lot of carbonation and a little rolling around on the way home

Smell was real weak and had a little yeast and nothing else

Taste was bitter and sweet kind of like an Olde English

Could drink a lot of this if you wanted to

1.13/5  rDev -51.5%

Safeway gets 3 for $5 for a big bottle of this stuff so it is even cheap enough for our homeless population. What really gets me is that this was the cheap drunk of my youth. Makes me appreciate how far we have come in 50 years of beer making.

Tastes and smells like alcohol and stale water. Vodka is alcohol and water also, but this water has a rancid, chemical odor and flavor. I guess I would have to describe the flavor as a chemical-like bitterness.

Mouthfeel is like water, and there is simply nothing to like about this. I simply amazed at how many good ratings this swill gets, but many of them seem to be drinking it from the can so maybe that is better. I supposed if you chill it down to 33 degrees so the flavor is mostly lost you could choke this down, but to me this is one of the poorest “beers” on the market. Good for nothing but a cheap drunk. This may be the lowest rating I have ever given. Can you get a bad bottle of a bad beer? There must be some reason why my rating is so low compared to everyone else.

2.7/5  rDev +15.9%

Ah, Country Club, how close we've gotten over the past several months. Strangely, this beer actually was marketed towards middle-class whites when it first came out. The ads showed classy folks having a classy time with this new "malt liquor" product. It was one of the very first malt liquors, in fact, and appear to have been sold largely in small, maybe 8oz. cans? This was marketed and sold to improve white people's lives. Those days are over, and "the Club" as I like to call it is now mostly available in lower-income areas in order to poison the poor and keep them sedated and content. It's working for me. And I got a dollar left! Here in Brooklyn, it's often the cheapest choice in the store, whether you opt for a 12oz can or a full "half quart" Forties also can be fucked with (for a mere $1.59). Still has a touch of class; it'd be a dollar-fifty even if it was really bottom-shelf. As we all know.

But enough history and value considerations. Onto the beer. I chose a single cold 12oz. can for this review. Unlike some other malt liquors, the Club is best in the can. You want it to be cold, very cold while you drink it, and I find the cans have a crisper taste. Has a sort of strange, corny, medichemical(?) stale beer smell. I'm finding this sample to be not nearly cold enough, as sour, off flavors invade immediately as it cools. At this point, one must go for broke and pound the fucker. It ain't going to get any better. The mouthfeel is OK, too 'fizzy' and scalds the throat like most lower-end malt liquors (yes, there is a lower end to the lower end of this beverage we call 'beer'). Tastes like cheap, folks.

2.98/5  rDev +27.9%

Appearance: Clear medium golden color with a moderate white head, which retains quite well, and thick, glass-coating lecing. The carbonation is modest, an occasional bubble rises to the surface.

Aroma: The skunk characteristic is quite pronounced, no doubt due to the clear glass bottle, but there are also present notes of cokked vegetables, and harsh alcohol.

Taste: Opens with a mild corn malt note, afterwards there is a slight alcohol note, but quite restrained, at least for the style. The corn malt and alcohol carry to late in the taste, whereupon a mild herbal hop presence appears. The finish is clean and dry, with just a hint of hop bitterness. Overall, the taste was surprisingly insubstantial, more like a light lager, certainly not suggestive of a high alcoholic gravity.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, quite pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: Surprisingly mild, with little that could be called character, inoffensive, but also indistinguished. As with all examples of this style that I have tried, the price paid was sufficiently low as to make any compliant seem somewhat churlish.

Presentation: Packaged in a forty ounce clear glass bottle with a screwtop crown, served in a Pilsener glass.

3.4/5  rDev +45.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I bought a case of this stuff as a joke, once. I was rather surprised! It's got a nice clean smooth taste, hiding a hefty alcohol-level punch that will quickly track you down! I believe it used to be made by a brewery in New York State when I bought it, so I'm not sure whether my experience is consistent with the current owner's froth, but after reading some of the other reviews, they seem consistent with my own experience.

The flavor is a bit over-average on the malt taste, and a bit of a yeast flavor. The carbonation is good, not overdone.

It sure left a good headache, though.

Big ass 22 oz. bottle.

Appearance-pale golden color with a fizzy white head that is rather large and sticks around, no lace being left. Just a fizzy beer.

Smell-lots of grain, toasted barley, biscuity malts, some discernable hop lingerings.

Taste-effortlessly smooth, smooth malt profile, not really much hops and fairly bland but no worse than any other macro. Decent.

Mouthfeel-not too overbearing, alcohol is hid really well, goes down really smooth, minimal aftertaste.

Drinkability-really smooth and decent for a malt liquor, hides it's alcohol level really well. I'm shocked.

Overall-by far the best malt liquor I've had, even better than Colt 45, tastes like a normal lager but higher alcohol and insanely poundable. Don't drink too many of these, but at least I've finally found a decent malt liquor.

Pours a clear dark yellow brew with a bit of white head to it.

Smell is sweet corn and biscuit with a mild but discernable hop scent.

Taste is less sweet than expected and mild flavor with an easy to taste note of alcohol. You can taste a hint of corn in this and a bit of biscuit flavor with a detectable amount of hop.

Mouthfeel is average.

More drinkable than you would think, flavor is mild and the adjunct flavors subdued. This is no good German Lager but it is better than a Budweiser flavor wise. If you want to try this brew DEFINATELY get the cans, the clear bottle version will be skunked like crazy.

1.13/5  rDev -51.5%

This has got to be one of the worst beers I have ever had. It poured a straw color yellow with a small fizzy white head that lasted a couple seconds and left no lace. The smell was just nasty and was 100% adjunct with a hint of alchohol. The flavor was about the same and was tollerable when it was super cold but once it warmed up it lost all hope. This is a beer to avoid for sure, go with Mickey's or Icehouse if you must get a beer like this.

3.8/5  rDev +63.1%

Sometimes I get tired of the "complex" beers and want something that is just plain beer. Nothing meaty, nothing nutty, nothing fruity, just plain beer. Well, looks like I found another gem. Something about this can just drew my attention. It could have been the golden crown with the XXX in it, the name County Club Malt Liquor, or the little slogan "America's Premium Malt Liqour". Whatever it was, it was intreagueing.

Now, to the actual review.
The apperance was suprisingly nice. It was a pale straw color with a nice white head. The head was one of the creamiest heads I had ever seen. That was definately a highlight in my book. The smell was nothing special, just the average balanced malty/hoppy smell. The taste was a little better than the smell. Sure it had elements of malts and hops, like most, but it was unusually smooth. Along with the balance, it had hints of citrus in the end and aftertaste. The mouthfeel wasn't too shabby either. It was smooth and creamy, not bubbly and burny-like. Drinkability, well, this is just another great brew for pocket change. I got it for $2.39 for a sixer.

Da Skinny.
This is one cheap brew that shames the big macro types, ie Bud, Coors, and Miller. It's just another good product pumped out by the guys and gals at PBR. Since this is Country Club, I guess this is what the rich folk drink.

2.85/5  rDev +22.3%

A brilliant, golden body sparkles with hundreds of fast-rising, tiny bubbles. It's frothy bright-white head holds surprisingly well for the style, and it maintains a thin but solid cap of creamy foam throughout the entire serving. Surprisingly for a malt liquor, it also leaves some sheets of lace that stand a half-inch or so above the level of the beer as it drops with each sip. The nose is limited, offering only alcohol over a note of sweet malt. The body is medium and it's gently crisp in the mouth. Not unlike the aroma, the flavor delivers a dull, semi-dry malt that expresses very little grain flavor and a noticeable amount of alcohol. Still, it's well balanced by an underlying bitterness and it's not as sickly sweet as some examples of the style tend to be. It finishes clean and dry with just a mild note of residual, lightly sweet malt, a touch of fruitiness that's not really noticeable while in the mouth, and a gentle wash of drying alcohol. Well-balanced and clean; but I'd expect a little more character in a beer that displays its alcohol content so readily.

2.2/5  rDev -5.6%

Country Club - "America's Premium Malt Liquor" according to the label. The label also says "Pearl Brewing Co." which means that it was probably a G. Heileman brew at one point and is now part of the Pabst portfolio which is now all contract brewed by Miller in Milwaukee. Anyway, the name seems like a vain attempt to add some "classy" appeal to what is otherwise the least classy type of beer you can find.

Country Club pours a clear, bright urine yellow color with a decent foam white head that lasts about a minute. The smell isn't too harsh and basically consists of cheap adjunct grain smells (that cheap grainy/husky/musty scent, if you will). The mouthfeel was watery, but not as fizzy as some other standard fizzy yellow beers. The initial taste was on the light side. Some slight sweetness and adjunct graininess. Some dirty/soapy water taste along with a very light hop bitterness. In addition there was some alcohol taste here, but it had almost a fruity character to it. Not too gagging. Overall, a standard and unoverpowering flavor. The aftertaste was a little bit cleaner then I expected: just some continuing graininess and alcohol. It all finishes with the standard malt liquor warmth (and beginnings of a headache).

Overall, not too bad. If I had to pick a 40, I'd choose Colt 45 over this. I'm not sure of the abv, but my head was slightly humming about halfway through the bottle (I gave the other half to my bro).

Country Club Malt Liquor from Pabst Brewing Company