Country Club Malt Liquor - Pabst Brewing Company

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 04-03-2003

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 85 | Reviews: 42
2.2/5  rDev -6.8%

Country Club - "America's Premium Malt Liquor" according to the label. The label also says "Pearl Brewing Co." which means that it was probably a G. Heileman brew at one point and is now part of the Pabst portfolio which is now all contract brewed by Miller in Milwaukee. Anyway, the name seems like a vain attempt to add some "classy" appeal to what is otherwise the least classy type of beer you can find.

Country Club pours a clear, bright urine yellow color with a decent foam white head that lasts about a minute. The smell isn't too harsh and basically consists of cheap adjunct grain smells (that cheap grainy/husky/musty scent, if you will). The mouthfeel was watery, but not as fizzy as some other standard fizzy yellow beers. The initial taste was on the light side. Some slight sweetness and adjunct graininess. Some dirty/soapy water taste along with a very light hop bitterness. In addition there was some alcohol taste here, but it had almost a fruity character to it. Not too gagging. Overall, a standard and unoverpowering flavor. The aftertaste was a little bit cleaner then I expected: just some continuing graininess and alcohol. It all finishes with the standard malt liquor warmth (and beginnings of a headache).

Overall, not too bad. If I had to pick a 40, I'd choose Colt 45 over this. I'm not sure of the abv, but my head was slightly humming about halfway through the bottle (I gave the other half to my bro).

1.15/5  rDev -51.3%

Safeway gets 3 for $5 for a big bottle of this stuff so it is even cheap enough for our homeless population. What really gets me is that this was the cheap drunk of my youth. Makes me appreciate how far we have come in 50 years of beer making.

Tastes and smells like alcohol and stale water. Vodka is alcohol and water also, but this water has a rancid, chemical odor and flavor. I guess I would have to describe the flavor as a chemical-like bitterness.

Mouthfeel is like water, and there is simply nothing to like about this. I simply amazed at how many good ratings this swill gets, but many of them seem to be drinking it from the can so maybe that is better. I supposed if you chill it down to 33 degrees so the flavor is mostly lost you could choke this down, but to me this is one of the poorest “beers” on the market. Good for nothing but a cheap drunk. This may be the lowest rating I have ever given. Can you get a bad bottle of a bad beer? There must be some reason why my rating is so low compared to everyone else.

My only advice is drink it cold, drink it fast.

1.15/5  rDev -51.3%

This has got to be one of the worst beers I have ever had. It poured a straw color yellow with a small fizzy white head that lasted a couple seconds and left no lace. The smell was just nasty and was 100% adjunct with a hint of alchohol. The flavor was about the same and was tollerable when it was super cold but once it warmed up it lost all hope. This is a beer to avoid for sure, go with Mickey's or Icehouse if you must get a beer like this.

2.3/5  rDev -2.5%

Never heard of this before and wanted to give it a try...

Nice minimalistic (ie cheap) label on the front.. standard yellowish brew inside.

Aroma is not too clean and heavy on the corn and bready malt.

Taste is sort of like MHL and Coors blended together but a little more dry and with some perceptible hop flavor lingering in there.

Mouthfeel is extrordinarily light and dry and almost acidic.

An interesting buy, but I'll stick to OE when I'm in the mood for a 40.

2.86/5  rDev +21.2%

I can't even believe I bought this, however, I am a firm believer that every beer has some redeeming value, however small, so for the sake of knowledge and experience I dropped a WHOLE DOLLAR on a 40 oz. bottle of this liquid beast.

For one, it comes in a clear bottle, bright yellow, a bubble or two at the top but thats it. I didn't even bother to pour it, however, the little that I did had no head whatsoever.

Smells like beer and a faint hint of corn, not much else.

Taste was, I have to say, better than I expected. I am NOT a fan at all of malt liquor, it gives me a nasty gut cramp, so I aproached this one with trepidation. The taste was a bit sweet, malty and a mix of corn and grain. Not really any strong tastes, and it went down pretty smooth with little to no aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was very smooth, went down much like water. Almost no detectable carbonation and no aftetaste. Weight was really light.

Drinkability here is a bit above average. In the event that I ever want a cheap ( and seriously, it's only a damn dollar) malt beverage, this is a viable option. I'll probably get a few more.

2.68/5  rDev +13.6%

A- Poured into Piraat tulip (This is an entropic attempt based on my expectations of this consumable.) Clear, pale golden in color with a suprisingly fluffy white head. Hmmm... Not a bad start.

S- Sweet adjucts & corn. I mean, sweet corn and adjuncts. Smells like a frat party.

T- I'm told this is one of the better malt liquors on the market, but I didn't grow up in Section 8 housing, so I can't verify that. Just tastes like corn and adjuncts. There is a pleasing sweetness to the finish that's a bit shocking. I kinda expected it to taste like poverty.

M- Thin and nasty. Astringent-y. Eww.

D- Review's done. The remainder's going down the drain unless aerozeppl wants to finish it.

1.97/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 1 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

It's cheap, it fucks you up, not sure why it's on BA but it is.

2.27/5  rDev -3.8%

Served from a 12oz can into a Sam pint glass.

A: Light golden. Head dissipates as quickly as it arrives and becomes nothing more than a thin white rim afterwards.

S: Smells of apple cider. Sugary sweet.

T: Alcohol overpowers the slight sweetness of the less-regarded grains.

M: Medium-carbonated, but under-carbonated for the style. Thin-to-medium body.

O: Not sure where to place this on the scale of the style. Certainly not the best. Maybe not the most offensive, but I can't think of an example that's rougher at the moment. Carbonation is too thin and not nearly sweet enough to cover-up the rough alcohol taste that is ever-more apparent as it warms up.

This is the Colt 45 they mop off the floor

2.75/5  rDev +16.5%

Ah, Country Club, how close we've gotten over the past several months. Strangely, this beer actually was marketed towards middle-class whites when it first came out. The ads showed classy folks having a classy time with this new "malt liquor" product. It was one of the very first malt liquors, in fact, and appear to have been sold largely in small, maybe 8oz. cans? This was marketed and sold to improve white people's lives. Those days are over, and "the Club" as I like to call it is now mostly available in lower-income areas in order to poison the poor and keep them sedated and content. It's working for me. And I got a dollar left! Here in Brooklyn, it's often the cheapest choice in the store, whether you opt for a 12oz can or a full "half quart" Forties also can be fucked with (for a mere $1.59). Still has a touch of class; it'd be a dollar-fifty even if it was really bottom-shelf. As we all know.

But enough history and value considerations. Onto the beer. I chose a single cold 12oz. can for this review. Unlike some other malt liquors, the Club is best in the can. You want it to be cold, very cold while you drink it, and I find the cans have a crisper taste. Has a sort of strange, corny, medichemical(?) stale beer smell. I'm finding this sample to be not nearly cold enough, as sour, off flavors invade immediately as it cools. At this point, one must go for broke and pound the fucker. It ain't going to get any better. The mouthfeel is OK, too 'fizzy' and scalds the throat like most lower-end malt liquors (yes, there is a lower end to the lower end of this beverage we call 'beer'). Tastes like cheap, folks.

2.38/5  rDev +0.8%

Drank from a 32 oz. bottle.

A: A typical dingy yellow.

S: Corn, Metal, And a sick sweet finish.

T: Bready, Slight Alcohol, And Corn.

M: Fairly thin, not overbearing.

O: It's a malt, not great, not terrible, it's cheap and efficient. Have one, it's fairly rare, but there is much better things out there.

2.16/5  rDev -8.5%

I bought a 40 of this at Safeway many years ago.

A- Looks like normal beer to me, very clear.

S- Didnt smell all too great from what I remember, not terribly bad though.

T- This is probably my least favorite malt liquor that I can think of.

M- Mouthfeel is very bubbly.

D- I probably will not buy this again, I might drink a glass if someone had some that was cold.

1.98/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Cheap, moderately harsh, and associated with certain reviled demographics, this is everything I seek in a beer. Livin' high with Country Club! Pouring a pale yellow with plenty of carbonation, it comes out of the can the same way it comes out of me. The aroma is of a fine industrial quality. I take a draught and immediately notice that unnamed, cryptic harshness of mysterious origins common to all malt liquors. Not much else hits me. Are hops used in this? I don't know. Are lawn trimmings used in this? Not sure, but if so, they are used stingily so as not to impart much flavor. As I swirl it around in my facial beer receptacle, pondering on the vagaries of brewing this fine beverage, I wonder if I am tasting a faint hint of malt. But malted what? Can sorrow be malted? Perhaps not. Perhaps it was just my imagination. But the harshness returns in the finish. That much I am not imagining. Ahh, good stuff! (But seriously, if the alternative is Leffe Blonde or some such rotten skunk, I will happily drink Country Club all day.)

Think of it as a palate cleanser

4.25/5  rDev +80.1%

very malty taste. taste almost like a soggy paper bag or cherrios. i miss this brew, one of my favorite 40 oz.'s Great memories of being 21 and reckless. This has been hard to find in northern cali, but a must try, much more pleasant than the traditional 40 oz. out there.

1.28/5  rDev -45.8%

What can you say, if you have $1.39 and want to catch a buzz you can. It is strong and nasty at best. I once slammed 1 1/2~40oz and was wrecked, laying on across train tracks. It's nasty tasting. Very watery flavour. It gave me a hang over the next day. The beer does not stay cold on top of it.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »