Country Club Malt Liquor - Pabst Brewing Company

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  5.86% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 04-03-2003

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 82 | Reviews: 41
2.22/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured some from a 40oz bottle into a pint glass, drank the rest from the bottle.

Appearance/Smell - Appears pale straw yellow with about half and inch of frothy head, and surprisingly, it retains very well and even leaves soapy lacing. Highly carbonated, lots of little strings of never ending carbonation, one of the better looking Malt liquors Iv ever seen! Smells of a very potent, acidic, tart grape aroma, coupled with an almost as powerful corn & grain aroma. Ugh! It almost made me sick, the aromas get very tiring, in fact it almost reminded me of a more powerful smelling Miller High Life.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes of a dominate sweet, grainy/rice flavor, coupled with apple, tart grape, pair, and lite citrus flavors, there manages to be some apparent bitterness on the finish as well. Very corny overall and not to enjoyable. Mouthfeel is smooth, lots of bite on the tongue from the carbonation, watery, and very lite bodied.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - In a way this Malt was very easy to drink, but the flavors and aroma quickly get old, if not sickening, as they did with me. To me, it tasted like a really bad American Adjunct Lager, and there wasn't even any classic Malt Liquor flavors. I enjoy Malt Liquor, but this was just tiring to me, way to corny! I don't recommend this Malt at all, if your looking for something easy to drink and with a lower ABV, than Id say go with Mickeys, or King Cobra. Just not this stuff, not a fan.

2.2/5  rDev -6.8%

Country Club - "America's Premium Malt Liquor" according to the label. The label also says "Pearl Brewing Co." which means that it was probably a G. Heileman brew at one point and is now part of the Pabst portfolio which is now all contract brewed by Miller in Milwaukee. Anyway, the name seems like a vain attempt to add some "classy" appeal to what is otherwise the least classy type of beer you can find.

Country Club pours a clear, bright urine yellow color with a decent foam white head that lasts about a minute. The smell isn't too harsh and basically consists of cheap adjunct grain smells (that cheap grainy/husky/musty scent, if you will). The mouthfeel was watery, but not as fizzy as some other standard fizzy yellow beers. The initial taste was on the light side. Some slight sweetness and adjunct graininess. Some dirty/soapy water taste along with a very light hop bitterness. In addition there was some alcohol taste here, but it had almost a fruity character to it. Not too gagging. Overall, a standard and unoverpowering flavor. The aftertaste was a little bit cleaner then I expected: just some continuing graininess and alcohol. It all finishes with the standard malt liquor warmth (and beginnings of a headache).

Overall, not too bad. If I had to pick a 40, I'd choose Colt 45 over this. I'm not sure of the abv, but my head was slightly humming about halfway through the bottle (I gave the other half to my bro).

1.15/5  rDev -51.3%

Safeway gets 3 for $5 for a big bottle of this stuff so it is even cheap enough for our homeless population. What really gets me is that this was the cheap drunk of my youth. Makes me appreciate how far we have come in 50 years of beer making.

Tastes and smells like alcohol and stale water. Vodka is alcohol and water also, but this water has a rancid, chemical odor and flavor. I guess I would have to describe the flavor as a chemical-like bitterness.

Mouthfeel is like water, and there is simply nothing to like about this. I simply amazed at how many good ratings this swill gets, but many of them seem to be drinking it from the can so maybe that is better. I supposed if you chill it down to 33 degrees so the flavor is mostly lost you could choke this down, but to me this is one of the poorest “beers” on the market. Good for nothing but a cheap drunk. This may be the lowest rating I have ever given. Can you get a bad bottle of a bad beer? There must be some reason why my rating is so low compared to everyone else.

1.15/5  rDev -51.3%

This has got to be one of the worst beers I have ever had. It poured a straw color yellow with a small fizzy white head that lasted a couple seconds and left no lace. The smell was just nasty and was 100% adjunct with a hint of alchohol. The flavor was about the same and was tollerable when it was super cold but once it warmed up it lost all hope. This is a beer to avoid for sure, go with Mickey's or Icehouse if you must get a beer like this.

2.3/5  rDev -2.5%

Never heard of this before and wanted to give it a try...

Nice minimalistic (ie cheap) label on the front.. standard yellowish brew inside.

Aroma is not too clean and heavy on the corn and bready malt.

Taste is sort of like MHL and Coors blended together but a little more dry and with some perceptible hop flavor lingering in there.

Mouthfeel is extrordinarily light and dry and almost acidic.

An interesting buy, but I'll stick to OE when I'm in the mood for a 40.

My only advice is drink it cold, drink it fast.

3.5/5  rDev +48.3%

2.86/5  rDev +21.2%

I can't even believe I bought this, however, I am a firm believer that every beer has some redeeming value, however small, so for the sake of knowledge and experience I dropped a WHOLE DOLLAR on a 40 oz. bottle of this liquid beast.

For one, it comes in a clear bottle, bright yellow, a bubble or two at the top but thats it. I didn't even bother to pour it, however, the little that I did had no head whatsoever.

Smells like beer and a faint hint of corn, not much else.

Taste was, I have to say, better than I expected. I am NOT a fan at all of malt liquor, it gives me a nasty gut cramp, so I aproached this one with trepidation. The taste was a bit sweet, malty and a mix of corn and grain. Not really any strong tastes, and it went down pretty smooth with little to no aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was very smooth, went down much like water. Almost no detectable carbonation and no aftetaste. Weight was really light.

Drinkability here is a bit above average. In the event that I ever want a cheap ( and seriously, it's only a damn dollar) malt beverage, this is a viable option. I'll probably get a few more.

1.75/5  rDev -25.8%

1.5/5  rDev -36.4%

2.68/5  rDev +13.6%

A- Poured into Piraat tulip (This is an entropic attempt based on my expectations of this consumable.) Clear, pale golden in color with a suprisingly fluffy white head. Hmmm... Not a bad start.

S- Sweet adjucts & corn. I mean, sweet corn and adjuncts. Smells like a frat party.

T- I'm told this is one of the better malt liquors on the market, but I didn't grow up in Section 8 housing, so I can't verify that. Just tastes like corn and adjuncts. There is a pleasing sweetness to the finish that's a bit shocking. I kinda expected it to taste like poverty.

M- Thin and nasty. Astringent-y. Eww.

D- Review's done. The remainder's going down the drain unless aerozeppl wants to finish it.

2.75/5  rDev +16.5%

2.27/5  rDev -3.8%

Served from a 12oz can into a Sam pint glass.

A: Light golden. Head dissipates as quickly as it arrives and becomes nothing more than a thin white rim afterwards.

S: Smells of apple cider. Sugary sweet.

T: Alcohol overpowers the slight sweetness of the less-regarded grains.

M: Medium-carbonated, but under-carbonated for the style. Thin-to-medium body.

O: Not sure where to place this on the scale of the style. Certainly not the best. Maybe not the most offensive, but I can't think of an example that's rougher at the moment. Carbonation is too thin and not nearly sweet enough to cover-up the rough alcohol taste that is ever-more apparent as it warms up.

This is the Colt 45 they mop off the floor

2.75/5  rDev +16.5%

Ah, Country Club, how close we've gotten over the past several months. Strangely, this beer actually was marketed towards middle-class whites when it first came out. The ads showed classy folks having a classy time with this new "malt liquor" product. It was one of the very first malt liquors, in fact, and appear to have been sold largely in small, maybe 8oz. cans? This was marketed and sold to improve white people's lives. Those days are over, and "the Club" as I like to call it is now mostly available in lower-income areas in order to poison the poor and keep them sedated and content. It's working for me. And I got a dollar left! Here in Brooklyn, it's often the cheapest choice in the store, whether you opt for a 12oz can or a full "half quart" Forties also can be fucked with (for a mere $1.59). Still has a touch of class; it'd be a dollar-fifty even if it was really bottom-shelf. As we all know.

But enough history and value considerations. Onto the beer. I chose a single cold 12oz. can for this review. Unlike some other malt liquors, the Club is best in the can. You want it to be cold, very cold while you drink it, and I find the cans have a crisper taste. Has a sort of strange, corny, medichemical(?) stale beer smell. I'm finding this sample to be not nearly cold enough, as sour, off flavors invade immediately as it cools. At this point, one must go for broke and pound the fucker. It ain't going to get any better. The mouthfeel is OK, too 'fizzy' and scalds the throat like most lower-end malt liquors (yes, there is a lower end to the lower end of this beverage we call 'beer'). Tastes like cheap, folks.

2.38/5  rDev +0.8%

Drank from a 32 oz. bottle.

A: A typical dingy yellow.

S: Corn, Metal, And a sick sweet finish.

T: Bready, Slight Alcohol, And Corn.

M: Fairly thin, not overbearing.

O: It's a malt, not great, not terrible, it's cheap and efficient. Have one, it's fairly rare, but there is much better things out there.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Country Club Malt Liquor from Pabst Brewing Company