Brooklyner Weisse - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: UnionMade on 08-01-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyner Weisse Alström Bros
firstprev| 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next → last
2.82/5  rDev -26%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into weizen glass.

A - Typical hazy orange/yellow. Small, one finger head receded very quickly to thin white collar. Some lacing.

S - Expected banana smell is there, but it leans a little closer to sweet corn. Backed by pronounced phenols.

T - Next to flavorless. The slight fruit esters make a brief appearance early palate, with some uninteresting, slightly sour malt in the middle. Finish begins with a growing bitterness accented by phenolic character. The earthy hop bitterness becomes almost unmanagable and is completely inappropriate for the style.

M - What the hell?? Moderately carbonated and otherwise just plain watery. Extremely watery even by APWA standards.

D - I could drink this all night if I had to, but I wouldn't.

I was actually really excited to find this and had been saving it for when I was in just the right mood. After having Schneider-Brooklyner Hopfen-Weisse last week I thought this would at least be a decent stab at a hefe, but in reality it sucks. The taste is too muted and too full of hops, and while the mouthfeel perhaps suits this flavor, it certainly can't work with a hefe.

2.74/5  rDev -28.1%

Review from notes

Hazy golden yellow with a scant head. Where's the giant fluffy head I expect from wheats? Anyway, smells like wheat, hint of floral/grassy hops, some tangerine peels, and pale malts.
Feels light and bubbly. Not big on this. So yeah, onto the next one.

2.67/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

On draft at the brewery. Tons of carbonation seen rising through an orangey-lemon unclear brew. Heavy layer of creamy white head with just a few bubbles. The scent is not too strong, just slightly saison-ish, but there is also a bit of a sulfur scent going on, (bit disturbing). Can feel the carbonation, but it is not too much. Cola, sassafrass, bit of sweetness. There is something in here that I just can’t place that turns me off... For some reason I keep thinking of that taste in your mouth after you have eaten a ton of movie theater popcorn, that kernel flavor. I usually enjoy weiss beers, this one just did not float my boat.

2.58/5  rDev -32.3%

I agree a lot with Boilermaker 88's review.
-Appearance: a more light apricot hue then a lot of hefes. Was a little more goldeny/orange then i expected, but still a decent looking brew with good rising carbonation. Head was thin and short-lived.
Smell: a little bland, but still the typical hefe nose:banana, clove, a little lemon. Also, a sour sort of alcohol smell to it-couldn't put my finger on it but it was off.
Taste: The sour nose continued in the taste and seemed to overcome the banana, clove, and lemon. Also a yeasty, slightly malty beginning.
MF: refreshing as usual, almost medium body.
Note: This hefe doesn't hold a mark to some other american hefes. To be honest I was disappointed with the beer and probably would not purchase it again. This is a surprise since Brooklyn usually makes great brews.

2.55/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a light hazed deep golden orange color. One finger white head has light retention and quickly caps the beer.

S- Light yeasty notes with a touch of wheat malts. There is a clove and banana scent that hints its way here and there on the nose. A light sourness in the backend as well. Interesting to say the least.

T- Very muted tasting. There is a light wheaty tone in the front that I picked up no problem. There is also a stale caramel malt deep in the backing of this beer along with some light metallic hints. I do get some light clove but that is about it. Something went wrong with this beer.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is lacking at all in this beer. Flavors were all off and all over the place. Light wheat notes left on the palate. Weak caramel malts and light alcohol in the aftertaste. Light alcohol drying on the palate.

D- This beer is a mess. I'm sure I have a bad bottle and once I can get my hands on some fresher product I will rereview but for now this one was a drain pour after a third of the way done with it.

2.53/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-Mildly cloudy wheat coloured golden ale. Minimal head, decent lacing though. A nice stream of loose bubbles.

S-Highly cloved scent lingers. The clove actually dominates the nose and does not let anything else into the party.

T-The cloves hit up front followed by something of a hop bitterness. The finish is actually a bit hollow as there is nothing but a little tingling left by the carbonation. There is a bit of salt here as well. Very small ammount of banana comes through when it warms.

M-Thin with a sharp carbonation, I like my hefes a bit thicker. A bit selzer like.

D-I am a Brooklyn supporter but this does not do it for me. This definitely tastes like a foreign version of a perfected German style. The banana notes are completely missing here and there is a definite lack of phenols period. the clove taste is a bit overpowering. With so many great German Hefeweizens out there, why bother?

firstprev| 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next → last