Brooklyner Weisse - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: UnionMade on 08-01-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyner Weisse Alström Bros
Ratings: 384 | Reviews: 256
2.53/5  rDev -33.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-Mildly cloudy wheat coloured golden ale. Minimal head, decent lacing though. A nice stream of loose bubbles.

S-Highly cloved scent lingers. The clove actually dominates the nose and does not let anything else into the party.

T-The cloves hit up front followed by something of a hop bitterness. The finish is actually a bit hollow as there is nothing but a little tingling left by the carbonation. There is a bit of salt here as well. Very small ammount of banana comes through when it warms.

M-Thin with a sharp carbonation, I like my hefes a bit thicker. A bit selzer like.

D-I am a Brooklyn supporter but this does not do it for me. This definitely tastes like a foreign version of a perfected German style. The banana notes are completely missing here and there is a definite lack of phenols period. the clove taste is a bit overpowering. With so many great German Hefeweizens out there, why bother?

2.55/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a light hazed deep golden orange color. One finger white head has light retention and quickly caps the beer.

S- Light yeasty notes with a touch of wheat malts. There is a clove and banana scent that hints its way here and there on the nose. A light sourness in the backend as well. Interesting to say the least.

T- Very muted tasting. There is a light wheaty tone in the front that I picked up no problem. There is also a stale caramel malt deep in the backing of this beer along with some light metallic hints. I do get some light clove but that is about it. Something went wrong with this beer.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is lacking at all in this beer. Flavors were all off and all over the place. Light wheat notes left on the palate. Weak caramel malts and light alcohol in the aftertaste. Light alcohol drying on the palate.

D- This beer is a mess. I'm sure I have a bad bottle and once I can get my hands on some fresher product I will rereview but for now this one was a drain pour after a third of the way done with it.

2.58/5  rDev -32.1%

I agree a lot with Boilermaker 88's review.
-Appearance: a more light apricot hue then a lot of hefes. Was a little more goldeny/orange then i expected, but still a decent looking brew with good rising carbonation. Head was thin and short-lived.
Smell: a little bland, but still the typical hefe nose:banana, clove, a little lemon. Also, a sour sort of alcohol smell to it-couldn't put my finger on it but it was off.
Taste: The sour nose continued in the taste and seemed to overcome the banana, clove, and lemon. Also a yeasty, slightly malty beginning.
MF: refreshing as usual, almost medium body.
Note: This hefe doesn't hold a mark to some other american hefes. To be honest I was disappointed with the beer and probably would not purchase it again. This is a surprise since Brooklyn usually makes great brews.

2.67/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

On draft at the brewery. Tons of carbonation seen rising through an orangey-lemon unclear brew. Heavy layer of creamy white head with just a few bubbles. The scent is not too strong, just slightly saison-ish, but there is also a bit of a sulfur scent going on, (bit disturbing). Can feel the carbonation, but it is not too much. Cola, sassafrass, bit of sweetness. There is something in here that I just can’t place that turns me off... For some reason I keep thinking of that taste in your mouth after you have eaten a ton of movie theater popcorn, that kernel flavor. I usually enjoy weiss beers, this one just did not float my boat.

2.74/5  rDev -27.9%

Review from notes

Hazy golden yellow with a scant head. Where's the giant fluffy head I expect from wheats? Anyway, smells like wheat, hint of floral/grassy hops, some tangerine peels, and pale malts.
Feels light and bubbly. Not big on this. So yeah, onto the next one.

2.82/5  rDev -25.8%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into weizen glass.

A - Typical hazy orange/yellow. Small, one finger head receded very quickly to thin white collar. Some lacing.

S - Expected banana smell is there, but it leans a little closer to sweet corn. Backed by pronounced phenols.

T - Next to flavorless. The slight fruit esters make a brief appearance early palate, with some uninteresting, slightly sour malt in the middle. Finish begins with a growing bitterness accented by phenolic character. The earthy hop bitterness becomes almost unmanagable and is completely inappropriate for the style.

M - What the hell?? Moderately carbonated and otherwise just plain watery. Extremely watery even by APWA standards.

D - I could drink this all night if I had to, but I wouldn't.

I was actually really excited to find this and had been saving it for when I was in just the right mood. After having Schneider-Brooklyner Hopfen-Weisse last week I thought this would at least be a decent stab at a hefe, but in reality it sucks. The taste is too muted and too full of hops, and while the mouthfeel perhaps suits this flavor, it certainly can't work with a hefe.

2.85/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Unexpectedly clear for a hefe, but a pretty gold with a bright white head that quickly falls. Smells very sour with just a bit of mustiness. Tastes extremely sour, very lemony and tart, almost like thin, sparkling lemon juice. I find this not just one-dimensional but downright unpleasant. Not my cup of tea.

2.86/5  rDev -24.7%

Poured out a hazy golden color with minimal head.I cant say im too crazy about the smell ,ive smelled it in other beers and im not crazy about it.Taste was ok at first but seemed to get better as the beer warmed up.Has a very slight alcohol after taste.Ive never smelled the bananas and cloves that have been stated for hefes but im still lookin for em.Not a bad beer but nothing outstanding either.

2.87/5  rDev -24.5%

Appears heavily carbonated, ultra watery transparent yellow color, with a thin head that completely disapeared in a short period of time. Smell is all wheat, fully and husky, not so much a sweet aroma as yeasty. Taste is sharp carbonation, and stale tasting, watery and unappealing. This is like a macro weisse, and despite the recommendation of a friend, I don't see how this is desirable. Mouthfeel is light and not wheat-like at all. Despite fairly high reviews, I would personally say don't bother. I've had mostly bad experiences with Brooklyn, and find them on basically par with that "other" brewery in Utica...

2.88/5  rDev -24.2%

Had on tap at Brooklyn Brewery in a plastic Brooklyn Brewery cup.

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden, with moderate carbonation. A creamy white head persists as a quarter-inch layer, with nice lacing.

Smell: There are light clove and banana notes, though not as pronounced as the Saison. The most obvious aroma is a yeast, musty smell.

Taste: This is lightly sweet at the beginning, with cloves and bananas at the center. There isn't much bitterness or flavor in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Strong carbonation up front. Other than carbonation this beer is very light-bodied, almost watery.

Drinkability: This beer is light and easy to drink, what flavors there are are pleasant.

Overall: This was a pretty disappointing beer. The fruity and spicy flavors and aromas of German Hefes are present, but the flavors just fall flat. Look to Live Oak Hefe Weizen for one of the best American made German style Hefes.

2.92/5  rDev -23.2%

On tap...poured into pint glass. Brownish golden haze, with a bit of head. Wheaty/hefe aroma...pretty typical (and promising). Bad flavor though...weak and nutty. It almost seems like they got lazy with it. Not a very good example of a hefe OR an american style wheat. With way better options out there, I would never get again.

2.93/5  rDev -22.9%

This began looking very promising, and ended up really average. It poured wonderfully. I looked like most any other hefe, with a nice snow white crown and its cloudy, pale yellow body. Smell was very lemony with a clovey spice background. Taste was very bland and lifeless. In fact, toward the finish, it was actually bitter and seemed to almost have some hop character. Not a good thing for a hefe. As I slowly made my way through this, it became clearer and clearer that as much as I wanted to enjoy this, it was simply a poor example of a hefe. Perhaps this has its fans, but as for me, I really didn't care much for it.

2.94/5  rDev -22.6%

This might not be a great review, because as I look at the date label it reads this month. I figured since I was buying a US produced Weiss, it was the first of their spring offerings. I'm reviewing it anyway, but I promise to try a more fresh offering in the future.
Appearance: Pours a nice hefe orange-gold, but seems thinner than some others I've had. Less yeast in the beer makes it more transparent. You can tell its unfiltered, but not really. Yes, I swirled the yeast and poured it also (you gots to!)
Smell: This is where I think it might be past its prime. I get a nice lemon like citrus that burns with skunk. I got it out of a cooler, from the back. I doubt light affected it, maybe it ought to have been stored room temp to let the yeasts ferment? I don't know. Smell was very poor.
Taste: Light and clean, with some minimal aftertaste of skunking. The thing is, I don't think I really got a bad bottle. I think this beer would do a lot better fresh or within 2 months of bottling. There are faint citrus notes of lemon and orange, no real spicing comes through. Really, it's pretty boring considering what can be done within the hefeweizen style.
Mouthfeel: Eh, thin. I like more yeast, something interesting
Drinkability: Fine I guess. The aftertaste hurts me though. I ought to find this on tap next time I visit my girlfriend's family right outside of the City. Brooklyn rules the taps in nothern NJ, but I haven't yet tried it fresh.

2.96/5  rDev -22.1%

On-tap at Ale+Witch

A - Pours a cloudy yellow and is capped with a persistent off-white froth.

S - The nose is sweaty, banana-centric, and accentuated by a slight herbal and mineral spiciness.

T - The flavor is much closer to banana bread. Or diet banana bread, which is to say that I think this beer tastes a tad watered-down. The basics are a banana note that is not backed up by any real sweetness, with something of a dry pale wheat that is noted, along with a spicy herbal-mineral character.

M - The feel is relatively thin and refreshing, it works well here.

O - Not my cup of proverbial tea, but I would certainly drink something like this if I were in a place with a poor selection (e.g. airport or ball game)

This beer poured a small white head over a clear golden/yellow body.

The nose was a soft mix of yeast, dactyl, wheat, some soft fruits, banana even some touches of biscuit.

Light body with a very clean and crisp taste. A present bitterness with touches of fruit, yeast, banana, wheat, soft malt and dactyl. Not really much more to this beer. Very smooth from start to finish, very easy drinking. Sort of reminded me of a straight ahead ale/macro with hints of traditional weis.

Overall a decent beer. Don’t know if I’d call it a traditional German weis by any means, but it’s smooth and refreshing if you’re looking for a thirst quencher.

This 12 oz. bottle arrived courtesy of Lupe, as a part of BIF 10. The bottle was rolled several times to distribute the yeast before pouring, and the body of the beer was decently cloudy and pale golden in color. Despite the agitation and the particulate matter, the head on the beer was very puny and extremely short lived. The lack of a nice creamy head was uncharacteristic of a Hefeweizen, and so was the faintness of the lemony tart aroma with just a touch of the banana, clove esters. The taste was crisp and refreshing, but lacked the soft roundness that a Hefeweizen yeast strain should impart. Instead the yeast was very lemony and a bit peppery, resulting in a sharp feel. The mouthfeel was light and airy, and the beer went down quite easily despite not being able to match up with the giants of the style. Had this been labeled a wit, or an American Wheat, I’d have rated it higher. If you are looking for an authentic Bavarian Hefeweizen, this is not the beer for you.

3.03/5  rDev -20.3%

Bottle: Poured a golden yellow color weizen with a nice medium foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of medium wheat with some spices probably coming-out the yeast strain. Taste is also dominated by some wheat malt notes with some spices. Body is average with some average carbonation. I thought this was very average overall.

3.05/5  rDev -19.7%

I watched the bartender pour this to a frothy head that looked like a pilsner type of beer as it came before me. After just tasting the Pennant Ale, I was looking forward to something lighter.

The first impression was that it was very dry without much body to speak of and the taste of hops just jumped out. I tried to find something useful to taste it with on the bar's menu, but this just wasn't going to be my beer.

3.05/5  rDev -19.7%

Bottle. Pours hazy golden hue with a huge, long lasting, white head. Aroma is of yeast, cloves, lemon, banana and wheat malt. Medium, creamy body. Taste is similar to aroma. This brew is an average American hefe, which is not on par with the best German examples of the style.

3.06/5  rDev -19.5%

Not quite up to par with Brooklyn's other products I've had the opportunity to try. Hazy gold, with moderate sediment suspension. Nice wheat character to the malt, bordering on bready. Had a nice, traditional German hefe character, but the yeasty spice and fruit flavors were absent - and the beer was incomplete without them. Overall, struck me as what it might taste like if a good German brewer tried to make a bland American wheat beer.

3.07/5  rDev -19.2%

Unfiltered Bavarian-style wheat beer, according to the brewery. Just slightly hazy amber in the pint glass. Very little head, and less of the sudsy carbonation that I generally look forward to in the style.

Pretty good estery flavors. Lots of cloves, less of the banana. Kind of a dishwater taste, however, that adds to the murkiness. Very light body. Rather pleasant for a quick gulp, though not much to encourage slow savoring. Low marks for carbonation and lack of sudsy mouthfeel.

On tap at the Perch on Broad St. in downtown Philadelphia along with a good selection of interesting beers. Notes from visit on June 1, 2012.

3.07/5  rDev -19.2%

A- Body is a slightly hazy yellow. Pour produces <1 finger foamy white head that quickly fades to a thin collar which retains well. No lacing is left behind in the glass. A hefeweizen should be much cloudier than this.

S- Nose is in-line for the style. Banana, clove, and a sweet yeastiness can be detected.

T- Faint banana upfront with a mild sweet, yeasty background. A touch of hops and clove kick in for the finish.

M- Carbonation is low to medium and body is thin and somewhat watery though some yeast can be detected.

D- This is an ok beer. Not sure if it was the bottle/batch or if this beer is always this way. I won't be paying for this one again.

3.13/5  rDev -17.6%

I had this one on tap so its characteristics may differ from the bottle, but it was sufficiently cloudy, straw colored, frothy, with a dissipating head that one would expect with the style. The smell was okay, but a bit musty, or as one reviewer stated, a bit like wet hay. The taste is banana, a bit of tangy lemon, some spiciness, and a smallish yeasty bite. This is a refreshing beer for summer. It is a slightly more medium bodied than many other weiss beers, to its credit, but not my favorite by a long shot. The mouthfeel and aftertaste are good but unremarkable.

3.17/5  rDev -16.6%

Dispensed from a 12oz bottle into a large hefeweizen glass. Light copper color with some slight haziness. White head of minimal size and no lacing to speak of.

Aroma is estery and sour. Lots of cloves and some banana, spicy black pepper, and some sour pear aromas.

I wasnt too fond of the taste of this one. Decent flavor. Plenty of sourness with defenite wheat flavors and plenty of cloves. Not quite as spicy as the aroma would lend but decent enough overall.

Just an average hefe in my opinion. Pretty thin mouthfeel with little body. Very clean and dry in the finish. I like more banana flavor and aroma and a little more spice in the flavor. Certainly not bad but I like other examples out there.

3.18/5  rDev -16.3%

Had on tap at the Brooklyn Brewery Bar in Terminal C, Newark Airport, June 2008, at the usual Airport rip-off price of $8 a pint!

Was served in the traditional Weiss style glass, with slice of orange on the glass rim. Much less foaming head than I expected, which thinned very quickly. Aroma was what I would expect from a Weiss beer, fruity, bananas, cloves and spice, also rather dry and with a hint of tart apple skins. Have to say - regretfully - I was rather disappointed with the taste. It leaned on the rather dry side, almost sour at the back, and not much depth at all. It somehow seemed very 'two dimensional' rather flat, and dare I say it - boring. There was no depth of flavour, all up front and dry, nothing else came through as I drank it, no character coming through as it went down.

Unless I was just unlucky and had an under par sample, was rather disappointed, as I expected great things. Not a patch on some other US Weiss beers (think Penn Weiss is much better) and no comparison at all the the German Hefe Weiss beers like Schneider, Wehenstephener, Andechs, Paulaner and the like.

I will have to try it again, just in case I was unlucky at the time.

JohnW