Brooklyner Weisse - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: UnionMade on 08-01-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyner Weisse Alström Bros
firstprev| 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next → last
4.44/5  rDev +16.2%

***Now I need to preface this by saying that I am a biased reviewer of this beer. I have been drinking it for years, and this is the beer that opened my eyes to the world outside of Budweiser (when I was 19 or so).

It has a beautiful cloudy orangy-yellow color and is a truly aromatic drinking experience. It has always reminded me of autumn because there is a very strong clove overtone, but other people have said they can smell and taste banana in it. Best served in a weisse glass with a twist of lemon squeezed into it (dropping the lemon in will kill the beautiful inch and a half of head). It's a great sipping beer, but I can not drink more than one or two because it's a touch acidic on the stomach.

Long available only on tap, my happiest (and saddest) day ever was when I found that Brooklyn was finally producing it in bottles. I nearly had an accident when i saw it in the beer distributor's aisles. Then I got home with a case of it and cried because it lost a lot of flavor in the bottling process. Still a good brew, but so much better on tap. (1,065 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +4.2%

After several Brooklyn styles I decided to give this a go. Looking for a lighter summer beer, this is the ticket.

Light golden staw color as with many Hefe weizens. This one was a bit more transparent (see through, not artificial) then many others. It came off as highly carbonated when I poured it and looked it over, bubbles everywhere. The head dissipated quickly and settled out to some fine lacing over the top and eventually down the sides.

I detected a slight foral aroma with this beer, although not overwhelming. The slight spicey clove scent was also noticable, but not so much of the banana hints that other hefes give off, a bit more citrusy too.

The taste had a refreshing quality to it almost effervescent, like I was tempted to take big swigs even though I was trying hard not to. A very easy drinking lighter beer even for this style, which is usually characterised as light.

Since the beer seemed highly carbonated to me, it was very light in the mouth, not thin in feel, but certainly not to be confused with a heavy winter style in any way.

Definitely would reach for this one again as a thirst quencher of a hot summer day. (1,159 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +8.1%

Served in a chilled pilsner flute

This had an exceptionally sturdy head. It was quite pale and retained a very carbonated body.

Slight banana smell and a smidge of wheat.

This was a delicious beer and very drinkable. A slight bit of carbonation but it plays well. (266 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +9.7%

Very good American brewed wheat... bavarian style. I'm often skeptical of a american brewed weisse, but this was damn good. The clove was slighty overshadowed by the banana, but I love my fermenting ester flavors so I dug it. it's pour was too filtered, for claiming to be unfiltered and too bottle carbonated- the pitfall of most popular american heffeweizen (Widmer-UFO)... But the taste was nice banana ester, but not as strong as the nose. I would recommend this beer both as a meal beer and a drinking man's beer, versatile and a solid wheat... not too fruity, but not to plain...too carbonated, but I imagine a great american/bavarian weisse on tap. I think it's a premire brooklyn brew. (693 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -3.7%

a nice tannish orangish color. decent head but dissipates pretty quickly. I'd like it to be much more carbonated though. very good taste with a nice fruity finish. decent mouthfeel. over all a very good beer, without a doubt the best heffeweisse i've had in america (265 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +16%

Appearance: Very good color, reminds me of Sam Adams Summer Ale

Smell: Good, nothing stands out except a hint of the cloves

Taste: Best part, of the more unique beers widely available. Perfect summer beer, and the aftertaste has just a hint of bananas and cloves. I didn't think I'd like it much, it started fairly bitter for a wheat, but it was well done. (358 characters)

firstprev| 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next → last