Brooklyner Weisse - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyner WeisseBrooklyner Weisse

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: UnionMade on 08-01-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyner Weisse Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +11.1%

The beer was a hazy golden color with the typical large hefe head and plenty of lacing. The aroma was a strong base of wheat with the usual citrus undertone and a hint of clove. The taste is all hefe with the characteristic citrus flavor and a hint of banana, I think. I really liked this beer. I haven't had many Brooklyn beers but if they're all as good as this, I will be drinking a lot more. The mouthfeel is especially cleansing with that citrusy ting. I could have had many of these but the day was young and there were other bars to visit.

rdrummer, Jun 09, 2004
3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a bright yellow orange. Minimal head. Hazy, but not as much as a German hefe would be. Bits of weird sediment float about. None too appealing.

Pleasingly crisp wheat smell. The yeast adds character. Bananas are abundant, as well as some citrus towards the end.

A noncomplicated banana taste takes this one over, with a backbone of wheat that is present but not pronounced. Chalky mouthfeel at the end.

This is a refreshing beer. Very quaffable.

Litterbean, Dec 29, 2005
4.58/5  rDev +20.5%

Served in my favorite glass, a Duvel tulip. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Says best before Jan 2009. I rarely listen to those dates.

A - A nice bright brownish orange; appropriately cloudy with little head.

S - The most citrusy beer I've smelled. Smells of fresh lemons, caramel and hops. Lovely.

T - Slightly toasty with slight, pleasant hop bitterness. Sweet banana and citrus also present.

M - Interesting, to say the least. Short on aftertaste and leaves a feeling like there's a film on my tongue. Carbonation's good, but this is the weak point of this otherwise excellent brew

D - Smooth and tasty, I could drink this all day. An excellent everyday beer.

Overall - This is going to be one of my refrigerator standbys. Tasty and easy drinking, I'm going to enjoy this one a long time.

DannyS, Feb 16, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +15.3%

Yum, yum, yum... I have never been a huge Hefe fan, but I am coming around, and this beauty has made me a full convert. But here's the thing -- this is somewhat creamier and fuller than your avg. Hefe, and if that's not what you're looking for in the style, than maybe this isn't for you.
But the smell is pure Weiss -- citrus spritzer, banana, maybe some vanilla -- and the taste is very similar. Not as heavy on the banana as some others I have had, and I like that. This had more citrus, maybe some orange, definitely some lemon, a little bit of clove spiciness, and again, just the faintest banana essence. The mouthfeel is so creamy and delicious, and there is no astringency or watered down character as I have found in too many Hefeweizens. And I could drink this all night. Excellent job, Garrett...

bultrey, Aug 23, 2004

The best German-style wheat.
Great head good taste,I could survive on it alone.
Good color hazy yellow body.
The taste goes on for days.with or w/o a lemon.
Smokey after taste verry filling.But I could find room for
another!

the perfict wheat.

Kwak, Nov 06, 2002
3.65/5  rDev -3.9%

Appearance: Pours a light golden amber with minor cloudiness. A thin white head appeares which does not lace the glass at all.

Smell: Notes of banana, some citrus, and minor malt tones hit the nose. Also some other estery yeast tones are noted.

Tastes: Citrus and lemon hits the palate first, with a light refreshing carbonation. Flavors of slight banana and wheat hit in the middle along with some dry biscuit notes. This beer finishes dry with a slight bite to it.

Mouthfeel: This beer is crisp and the carbonation gives it a nice little zing to it. Light body for a weisse.

Drinkability: Due to this beers lightness it is very drinkable. Flavors go together well to make this a decent summer brew.

bigbeerdrinka, Jun 25, 2004
4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

From notes taken 1/5/08.

Served fresh at the brewery while I was waiting for the tour.

A cloudy pale yellow with a finger of white head which lasted quite long.

Wonderful aroma of bananas and clove and bubble gum. This was truly fresh because usually I can't smell the bubble gum.

A wonderful palate as well. I was struck initially with a lemony bite before being lulled with a soft, bready sweetness. And then, a light fruity note of banana. Very refreshing altogether. Creamy and yet crisp.

edskirk3, Jan 07, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pure white, centimeter thick head. It doesn't last long. The beer is a golden yellow and pretty clear. Good lacing. Very pleasant aroma. I would give it a 4.25 if I could: the extra quarter for the real oomph of the smell. I guess I'll round up to 4.5. The aroma is definitely the best thing about this beer. A traditional hefe, and lots of it. Wheat, lemon, spice. It tastes good, but not great. Not as chewy as I like. It feels crisp, but a little sour. Light aftertaste that makes me forget what I was drinking, not necessarily a bad thing, but it doesn't lure me back to the glass. I'll enjoy this and have again on occasion. Brooklyner Weiss on tap is one of my favorite beers... I'm disappointed with the bottle.

dwarbi, May 22, 2003
3.65/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured a hazy, slightly orangish-yellow color. Head was large and white though less billowy than expected. Fairly effervescent. Very nice fruity, wheaty nose with a tiny bit of citrus. Soft, light-to-medium body with some cloves. Smooth, creamy texture. Drinkability was nice as well.

A good, somewhat subdued American weizen. Light on phenolics, but very tasty and drinkable. Also should note that the sample tested was 2 months past its freshness date. Probably much better when straight from the brewery.

shererjt, Jul 24, 2007
4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

Served on-tap in a pint shaker glass at the Brickside in Exton

Pours an amberishgolden color, a bit hazy with a real thin white head

The citrus jumps out in the nose, with a spice backing and some sweet sugary malt as a subtle touch.

The citrus continues in the flavor, with some honey-sweetness. There is not much traditional hefeweizen yeastiness, more fresh citrus and subtle spice (a bit too subtle).

Very easy to drink, especially on a hot day. An overall simple beer, stands up nicely and is fun to drink. A nice beer for a day in the yard, or on the beer bar patio.

mhatters, May 22, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

It would be hard to be in the Beer arena without seeing the positive effect that Brooklyn Brewery has in promoting and nuturing the Craft Beer movement. It is because of this that I have wanted, albeit unsuccessfully to find one of their beers that makes a strong impression until I tried this outstanding brew.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Maisel's Weisse glass.

A. A deep cloudy amber. The head dissipates quickly.

S. Banana, clove, bubblegum. This is a classic Hefe and is loyal to the style.

T. As it smells. This is a good solid Hefe.

M. My personal preference is for a more highly carbonated Hefe. This was a little light.

D. This is where this beer shone. It is quite easy to drink this beer, especially on a hot day. My friends and I were amazed at how quickly it went.

In summary, a SOLID example of a Hefe, completely loyal to the styyl. Now I want some Broooklyn-Schneider Hopf Weisse even more so!

MarkSCCOT, Jul 22, 2007
3.18/5  rDev -16.3%

Had on tap at the Brooklyn Brewery Bar in Terminal C, Newark Airport, June 2008, at the usual Airport rip-off price of $8 a pint!

Was served in the traditional Weiss style glass, with slice of orange on the glass rim. Much less foaming head than I expected, which thinned very quickly. Aroma was what I would expect from a Weiss beer, fruity, bananas, cloves and spice, also rather dry and with a hint of tart apple skins. Have to say - regretfully - I was rather disappointed with the taste. It leaned on the rather dry side, almost sour at the back, and not much depth at all. It somehow seemed very 'two dimensional' rather flat, and dare I say it - boring. There was no depth of flavour, all up front and dry, nothing else came through as I drank it, no character coming through as it went down.

Unless I was just unlucky and had an under par sample, was rather disappointed, as I expected great things. Not a patch on some other US Weiss beers (think Penn Weiss is much better) and no comparison at all the the German Hefe Weiss beers like Schneider, Wehenstephener, Andechs, Paulaner and the like.

I will have to try it again, just in case I was unlucky at the time.

JohnW
B'ham UK June 2008

JohnW, Jun 08, 2008

poured this out to a light golden with a nice light head. It was a hot day; This was a welcome taste with a medium to light moutfeel/body, and a healthy wheat twang. This tasted as good as some european hefe-weizens, albeit not as complex and cloudy, and not as mystical. This certainly was a standout among the american weisse beers because of the twang; they got it right.

And the drinkability in heat was exceptional based upon the light body and refreshing twang.

andjusticeforale, Aug 04, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

travishardy929, Jul 23, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

shick1, Nov 26, 2012
4.6/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Hazy orange in color cloudy complexion and a nice white frothy head. Smells of yeast, bread, some banana and cloves, hint of vanilla if you smell close. Smooth! Yeasty with some spices and just the right amount of carbonation. Superb balance of the clove/banana flavor with the more hearty yeast and grain flavors. Aftertaste isn't bitter, but wheaten, and some cloves linger on the palate. It's different from it's German bretheren, but I'll agree with the man who sold me this and say that the plain looking Brooklyn Brewery label hides the fact that this is the finest American Wheat beer I have ever tasted! I could drink the whole six-pack.

chaduvel, Aug 22, 2003
3.7/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured a pale cloudy orange with a less than great head in my Tucher Weizen glass. Wispy head remains throughout. Aroma is very clean. Lots of lemon and other citrus. Some clove. Taste is fairly tart with citrus, a little clove spiciness, and fairly bready. Not much banana to speak of. Prickly mouthfeel. Not a very complex brew, but great on a hot summer's day. I think I'll stick with Paulaner or Weihenstephaner.

Admiraldinty, Aug 23, 2004
2.9/5  rDev -23.7%

Poured out a hazy golden color with minimal head.I cant say im too crazy about the smell ,ive smelled it in other beers and im not crazy about it.Taste was ok at first but seemed to get better as the beer warmed up.Has a very slight alcohol after taste.Ive never smelled the bananas and cloves that have been stated for hefes but im still lookin for em.Not a bad beer but nothing outstanding either.

tweeder263, Dec 14, 2004
4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

Had on tap at the brewery.

A: Golden straw. Nice white 2 finger head.

S: Strong belgian yeast, clove and banana.

T: Excellent belgian wheat beer. Great!

M: Nicely carbed and clean.

O: Easy drinking and perfect flavors for the style. Love it.

JerseyKirk, Dec 22, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours cloudy gold with a marshmallowy white head and a sweet flowery wheat perfume. Downer: it had to be in a plastic cup (gotta start bringing a mug to the brewery.) Upper: no chance of a lemon wedge tarnishing my glass.

Lemon, orange, banana, allspice, cloves all layered over a strong wheat flavor makes it quite tasty. Smooth and very effervescent with a clean dry aftertaste. Quite drinkable, though rumor has it too much can make you crazy...

PopeJonPaul, May 25, 2004

Dasein11, Jul 14, 2013

AGB, Feb 26, 2014

slay, Mar 24, 2013
3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a slightly hazy pale orange with a modest white head.

The aroma is wheat and yeast joined by fruit, banana and orange, mostly. It's overbearingly sweet, and I'm voting this isn't my style at all. However, this is my first hefe, and I've smelled worse wheat beers.

Very much about the wheat and yeast on the palate. Banana and spices (cinnamon? clove?) come in second, and they're mild enough not to turn me off. The fruits are balanced well, as are the spices. The carbonation is too snappy and prickly for my taste, but the body fills out quite well. The aftertaste is brown sugar, but in a coarse, almost drying real-brown-sugar way, not in a super-sweet syrupy way.

This really isn't to my taste as a beverage, but it would make an excellent desert. Assuming everything is to style, which I get the impression that it is (though I have no reference for appearance), this isn't a bad beer.

IMincedTheKing, Apr 25, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

This beer started off with a great appearance - cloudy straw color with a snow-white foam head. The head made it all the way to the last sip and left a tiny bit of lacing. The aroma was very yeasty and strong with banana, could benefit with a little citrus bite - maybe a lemon slice would be good. The taste is also very soft and banana-y, could have used just a litle more of a crispness to it. It was also a little on the sweet side, I would have liked a little more dryness. Overall though this is very comparable to the best of this style and drinkability and quality are both good.

nixhecks, Jun 24, 2003