Brooklyner Weisse - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: UnionMade on 08-01-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 384 | Reviews: 256
3.44/5  rDev -9.5%

2.85/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Unexpectedly clear for a hefe, but a pretty gold with a bright white head that quickly falls. Smells very sour with just a bit of mustiness. Tastes extremely sour, very lemony and tart, almost like thin, sparkling lemon juice. I find this not just one-dimensional but downright unpleasant. Not my cup of tea.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

A: pours a cloudy, pale, orange-yellow with a small white head that quickly reduces to a thin layer of foam and leaves almost no lace.

S: banana, cloves, spice, citrus and honey

T: honey sweetness up front, followed by a subtle banana-spice flavour that resuces, once again, to a lasting yeasty, honey-sweet aftertaste

M: light and creamy, excellent carbonation and buttey, smooth, yet-crisp citrusy finish.

D: This is a great hefe - I'm diggin' the extra honey touch on this one compared to most other Hefe's I've tried. Nice flavour, good body and very refreshing. I could see myself throwing back a few of these on many occasion in the future. Brooklyn continues to impress me.

4.64/5  rDev +22.1%

3.05/5  rDev -19.7%

I watched the bartender pour this to a frothy head that looked like a pilsner type of beer as it came before me. After just tasting the Pennant Ale, I was looking forward to something lighter.

The first impression was that it was very dry without much body to speak of and the taste of hops just jumped out. I tried to find something useful to taste it with on the bar's menu, but this just wasn't going to be my beer.

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance: Golden clear, nice white head. Fairly clear beer for a wheat. Good head retention.

Aroma: Spicy banana. Slight citrus, with a hint of corriander in the nose. Sweet aroma.

Taste: Very dry flavor. Dry up front and finishing quite dusty. A bit of fruit on the front of the tongue, but not too much. Carbonation level seems high.

Notes: The fruit and spice level doesn't come through into the taste very much, very drinkable. Good thirst quenching backyard summertime ale.

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

The beer was a hazy golden color with the typical large hefe head and plenty of lacing. The aroma was a strong base of wheat with the usual citrus undertone and a hint of clove. The taste is all hefe with the characteristic citrus flavor and a hint of banana, I think. I really liked this beer. I haven't had many Brooklyn beers but if they're all as good as this, I will be drinking a lot more. The mouthfeel is especially cleansing with that citrusy ting. I could have had many of these but the day was young and there were other bars to visit.

3.77/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured into weisse glass.

A: Hazy, cloudy pale yellow with two fingers of fluffy head. Retention was good. It's unfiltered, but there's not a whole lot of yeast in the bottle.

S: Lemons, cloves, banana, vanilla and wheat. Pretty aromatic, actually.

T: Like a spicy banana bread with cream cheese frosting, though without the mouthfeel that that implies. Banana and wheat up front, and spice toward the middle. Finish has a bit of astringency to it, but not much.

M: Light-bodied and crisp.

D: Pretty good. Better than some of those America Pale Wheat beers that masquerade as hefeweizens, but it's still a bit on the light side. I still look to Germany for all my hefeweizen needs, but this is a pretty decent beer.

3.84/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a bright yellow orange. Minimal head. Hazy, but not as much as a German hefe would be. Bits of weird sediment float about. None too appealing.

Pleasingly crisp wheat smell. The yeast adds character. Bananas are abundant, as well as some citrus towards the end.

A noncomplicated banana taste takes this one over, with a backbone of wheat that is present but not pronounced. Chalky mouthfeel at the end.

This is a refreshing beer. Very quaffable.

4.59/5  rDev +20.8%

Served in my favorite glass, a Duvel tulip. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Says best before Jan 2009. I rarely listen to those dates.

A - A nice bright brownish orange; appropriately cloudy with little head.

S - The most citrusy beer I've smelled. Smells of fresh lemons, caramel and hops. Lovely.

T - Slightly toasty with slight, pleasant hop bitterness. Sweet banana and citrus also present.

M - Interesting, to say the least. Short on aftertaste and leaves a feeling like there's a film on my tongue. Carbonation's good, but this is the weak point of this otherwise excellent brew

D - Smooth and tasty, I could drink this all day. An excellent everyday beer.

Overall - This is going to be one of my refrigerator standbys. Tasty and easy drinking, I'm going to enjoy this one a long time.

The best German-style wheat.
Great head good taste,I could survive on it alone.
Good color hazy yellow body.
The taste goes on for days.with or w/o a lemon.
Smokey after taste verry filling.But I could find room for
another!

the perfict wheat.

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

Yum, yum, yum... I have never been a huge Hefe fan, but I am coming around, and this beauty has made me a full convert. But here's the thing -- this is somewhat creamier and fuller than your avg. Hefe, and if that's not what you're looking for in the style, than maybe this isn't for you.
But the smell is pure Weiss -- citrus spritzer, banana, maybe some vanilla -- and the taste is very similar. Not as heavy on the banana as some others I have had, and I like that. This had more citrus, maybe some orange, definitely some lemon, a little bit of clove spiciness, and again, just the faintest banana essence. The mouthfeel is so creamy and delicious, and there is no astringency or watered down character as I have found in too many Hefeweizens. And I could drink this all night. Excellent job, Garrett...

3.65/5  rDev -3.9%

Appearance: Pours a light golden amber with minor cloudiness. A thin white head appeares which does not lace the glass at all.

Smell: Notes of banana, some citrus, and minor malt tones hit the nose. Also some other estery yeast tones are noted.

Tastes: Citrus and lemon hits the palate first, with a light refreshing carbonation. Flavors of slight banana and wheat hit in the middle along with some dry biscuit notes. This beer finishes dry with a slight bite to it.

Mouthfeel: This beer is crisp and the carbonation gives it a nice little zing to it. Light body for a weisse.

Drinkability: Due to this beers lightness it is very drinkable. Flavors go together well to make this a decent summer brew.

4.34/5  rDev +14.2%

From notes taken 1/5/08.

Served fresh at the brewery while I was waiting for the tour.

A cloudy pale yellow with a finger of white head which lasted quite long.

Wonderful aroma of bananas and clove and bubble gum. This was truly fresh because usually I can't smell the bubble gum.

A wonderful palate as well. I was struck initially with a lemony bite before being lulled with a soft, bready sweetness. And then, a light fruity note of banana. Very refreshing altogether. Creamy and yet crisp.

3.7/5  rDev -2.6%

3.94/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pure white, centimeter thick head. It doesn't last long. The beer is a golden yellow and pretty clear. Good lacing. Very pleasant aroma. I would give it a 4.25 if I could: the extra quarter for the real oomph of the smell. I guess I'll round up to 4.5. The aroma is definitely the best thing about this beer. A traditional hefe, and lots of it. Wheat, lemon, spice. It tastes good, but not great. Not as chewy as I like. It feels crisp, but a little sour. Light aftertaste that makes me forget what I was drinking, not necessarily a bad thing, but it doesn't lure me back to the glass. I'll enjoy this and have again on occasion. Brooklyner Weiss on tap is one of my favorite beers... I'm disappointed with the bottle.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

3.67/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured a hazy, slightly orangish-yellow color. Head was large and white though less billowy than expected. Fairly effervescent. Very nice fruity, wheaty nose with a tiny bit of citrus. Soft, light-to-medium body with some cloves. Smooth, creamy texture. Drinkability was nice as well.

A good, somewhat subdued American weizen. Light on phenolics, but very tasty and drinkable. Also should note that the sample tested was 2 months past its freshness date. Probably much better when straight from the brewery.

4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

Served on-tap in a pint shaker glass at the Brickside in Exton

Pours an amberishgolden color, a bit hazy with a real thin white head

The citrus jumps out in the nose, with a spice backing and some sweet sugary malt as a subtle touch.

The citrus continues in the flavor, with some honey-sweetness. There is not much traditional hefeweizen yeastiness, more fresh citrus and subtle spice (a bit too subtle).

Very easy to drink, especially on a hot day. An overall simple beer, stands up nicely and is fun to drink. A nice beer for a day in the yard, or on the beer bar patio.

4.04/5  rDev +6.3%

It would be hard to be in the Beer arena without seeing the positive effect that Brooklyn Brewery has in promoting and nuturing the Craft Beer movement. It is because of this that I have wanted, albeit unsuccessfully to find one of their beers that makes a strong impression until I tried this outstanding brew.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Maisel's Weisse glass.

A. A deep cloudy amber. The head dissipates quickly.

S. Banana, clove, bubblegum. This is a classic Hefe and is loyal to the style.

T. As it smells. This is a good solid Hefe.

M. My personal preference is for a more highly carbonated Hefe. This was a little light.

D. This is where this beer shone. It is quite easy to drink this beer, especially on a hot day. My friends and I were amazed at how quickly it went.

In summary, a SOLID example of a Hefe, completely loyal to the styyl. Now I want some Broooklyn-Schneider Hopf Weisse even more so!

3.18/5  rDev -16.3%

Had on tap at the Brooklyn Brewery Bar in Terminal C, Newark Airport, June 2008, at the usual Airport rip-off price of $8 a pint!

Was served in the traditional Weiss style glass, with slice of orange on the glass rim. Much less foaming head than I expected, which thinned very quickly. Aroma was what I would expect from a Weiss beer, fruity, bananas, cloves and spice, also rather dry and with a hint of tart apple skins. Have to say - regretfully - I was rather disappointed with the taste. It leaned on the rather dry side, almost sour at the back, and not much depth at all. It somehow seemed very 'two dimensional' rather flat, and dare I say it - boring. There was no depth of flavour, all up front and dry, nothing else came through as I drank it, no character coming through as it went down.

Unless I was just unlucky and had an under par sample, was rather disappointed, as I expected great things. Not a patch on some other US Weiss beers (think Penn Weiss is much better) and no comparison at all the the German Hefe Weiss beers like Schneider, Wehenstephener, Andechs, Paulaner and the like.

I will have to try it again, just in case I was unlucky at the time.

JohnW
B'ham UK June 2008

3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

poured this out to a light golden with a nice light head. It was a hot day; This was a welcome taste with a medium to light moutfeel/body, and a healthy wheat twang. This tasted as good as some european hefe-weizens, albeit not as complex and cloudy, and not as mystical. This certainly was a standout among the american weisse beers because of the twang; they got it right.

And the drinkability in heat was exceptional based upon the light body and refreshing twang.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

4.6/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Hazy orange in color cloudy complexion and a nice white frothy head. Smells of yeast, bread, some banana and cloves, hint of vanilla if you smell close. Smooth! Yeasty with some spices and just the right amount of carbonation. Superb balance of the clove/banana flavor with the more hearty yeast and grain flavors. Aftertaste isn't bitter, but wheaten, and some cloves linger on the palate. It's different from it's German bretheren, but I'll agree with the man who sold me this and say that the plain looking Brooklyn Brewery label hides the fact that this is the finest American Wheat beer I have ever tasted! I could drink the whole six-pack.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Brooklyner Weisse from Brooklyn Brewery