Brooklyner Weisse - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyner WeisseBrooklyner Weisse

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: UnionMade on 08-01-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyner Weisse Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +17.1%

***Now I need to preface this by saying that I am a biased reviewer of this beer. I have been drinking it for years, and this is the beer that opened my eyes to the world outside of Budweiser (when I was 19 or so).

It has a beautiful cloudy orangy-yellow color and is a truly aromatic drinking experience. It has always reminded me of autumn because there is a very strong clove overtone, but other people have said they can smell and taste banana in it. Best served in a weisse glass with a twist of lemon squeezed into it (dropping the lemon in will kill the beautiful inch and a half of head). It's a great sipping beer, but I can not drink more than one or two because it's a touch acidic on the stomach.

Long available only on tap, my happiest (and saddest) day ever was when I found that Brooklyn was finally producing it in bottles. I nearly had an accident when i saw it in the beer distributor's aisles. Then I got home with a case of it and cried because it lost a lot of flavor in the bottling process. Still a good brew, but so much better on tap.

4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

got to try this one on-tap from the source so to speak excited to give it a whirl

came with like a big mountain of foam on it like a root beer float and hade a murky orange color looks yummy

smelled like a banana milkshake with vanilla also some clovey spice mmmm this looks good

taste oh so good wow this is tart and refreshing and really hits the spot

mouthfeel is real nice i get a lot of nice acidity here too

overall this is a really awesome beer and probably the best one i sampled right there just a great american wheat beer

4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured into a wheat glass, very golden and very heady. Smell of banana and citrus, hops sit in as well. Very strong flavor of banana, alcohol is well hidden with just a light touch at the end. Full and flavorful brew, also refreshing and light in character. One of the better hefes I have tried in a while, Brooklyn continues to impress me.

4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

When in NYC drink beer from Brooklyn Brewery.

Brooklyn Weisse Beer
12 oz brown bottle
Best before date clearly notched October 2005.
Served in a glass

Cloudy yellow in appearance with an excellent white head on top. Sticky lacings leave trails all over the glass.

Aroma is beautiful blend of cloves, bannanas, corriander and wheat. I keep on smelling this beer, its so inviting.

Taste of cloves and spices with a backdrop of wheat dryness. Crisp citrus juice combines with wheat flavors to create one thirst quenching brew. I could drink this beer all day long on a warm today like today.

The Brooklyn Weisse pars or exceeds any solid German hefeweizen I've had.

4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

Thanks to chaduvel for this one. Pours a hazy golen orange with a big white marshmallowy head. Big aromas coming off this one: sweet bananas, cloves, vanilla alcohol (whatever that is). This is a great hefeweizen. Malty, yeasty, with just the right touch of cloves, bananas, and bubblegum. Not too sweet, yet very tasty. Finish is slightly (naturally) bitter with lingering roasted bananas and white wine. My top hefeweizen so far. I wish I would have had a case of this for the summer.

4.38/5  rDev +15.3%

Yum, yum, yum... I have never been a huge Hefe fan, but I am coming around, and this beauty has made me a full convert. But here's the thing -- this is somewhat creamier and fuller than your avg. Hefe, and if that's not what you're looking for in the style, than maybe this isn't for you.
But the smell is pure Weiss -- citrus spritzer, banana, maybe some vanilla -- and the taste is very similar. Not as heavy on the banana as some others I have had, and I like that. This had more citrus, maybe some orange, definitely some lemon, a little bit of clove spiciness, and again, just the faintest banana essence. The mouthfeel is so creamy and delicious, and there is no astringency or watered down character as I have found in too many Hefeweizens. And I could drink this all night. Excellent job, Garrett...

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Don’t ask me why, but I’ve been avoiding trying this beer. Too often, I’m disappointed by American attempts at a Weiss beer. Big mistake, this beer is a candidate for best American Weiss. It came from the tap a hazy pale yellow. Just a slight head, and no lace. It had a light fruity aroma, with just a touch of the yeast on the nose. The taste had
great fruit (banana, maybe a little orange) up front. Just a light malt flavor in the middle. A long spicy taste on the back. Great light mouth feel. Very drinkable summer beer.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled on draught at the Flying Saucer in Charlotte, NC

Poured a cloudy yellow with a fair head that didn't last. The color and cloudiness are dead on, but the head retention is not there and the lacing is only fair.

Aromas of clove, bananas, with sweet bready malt with wafts of spicy hops. Truly inviting.

Tastes a bit tangy then sweetmalt with lots of clove and spicey pockets. Very crisp and clean. Goes down very smooth, but a bit light in the mouthfeel. Very, very drinkable and a truly great summer choice. Yet another great beer from Brooklyn.

4.38/5  rDev +15.3%

I am so impressed with this brewery, everything rocks. I sampled this at the high falls beer festival and love ti so i picked up a six pack. It smells great! The aroma is malty, spicy-sweet and has a lot of banana in it. The head is small but leaves nice lacing. Nice rising carbonation. The body is a good hazy looking orange yellow. Wow the taste. This contains an assload of the great clove-banana combination. yeasty. Some hop flavor that balances out the maltiness. The mouthfeel also is nice; creamy yet carbonated. Full and sticky. I could drink this forever.

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Executive Summary: Makes me actually look forward to mowing the lawn! Slight age to the case had me worried, but I'm happy I gave it a shot. Had this one last summer at the NJ Beer Festival, and it's just as good as I remember it. Fantastic interpretation of the style. I think I've found a new summer staple!

Just bought a case of this from Shangy's in Emmaus, PA. Told it was fresh, I found later that the bottles say "Best by October '05." Figured I'd give one a shot before returning it. Glad I did!

Appearance: Pours a hazy gold/light amber into my glass, with a less fervent head than I expected, but I'll attribute some of that to the age.

Smell: Wheat, bananas, cloves. Prototypical Hefe here.

Taste: My dear Lord. Just fantastic. Good wheat backbone with a good dose of yeast. I'm not getting the bubblegum here that others have reported. Perhaps it's because mine isn't as fresh. No matter...I've got a wonderful, bright tasting Hefeweizen here.

Mouthfeel: Perfect for the style. Good, but not overpowering carbonation and moderately thin body. Wonderful for the summer!

Drinkability: Can drain bottle after bottle of this. This would be perfect for a summer BBQ. May have to remember it.

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance -- Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into my .5-liter weizen glass, Brooklyner Weisse pours a decidedly orange-ish-amber color, cloudy with delicious yeast. A moderately aggressive weizen pour (with swirl) yields a three-finger, off-white head, which recedes fairly quickly to a thin cap. I'd liken the overall appearance of this one to Schneider-Weisse -- both are considerably more amber-hued than most wheat beers.

Smell -- Awesome! A powerful bouquet of bananas, bready yeast, and something approaching brown sugar. This is among the best-smelling hefeweizens (and, thus, best-smelling beers) I've encountered. Nice work!

Taste -- Also wonderful. As should be the case with hefeweizens, the flavor follows the nose. Bananas, yeast, wheat bread, and sugary malt. Great stuff; probably my second-favorite American weizen, flavor-wise.

Mouthfeel -- A little disappointing. I'm starting to get the sense that the water supply at the brewery may lead to an odd "wateriness" or a "hole" in the mouthfeel of many Brooklyn beers. Carbonation is crisp, fine, and appropriate to the style, but the carbolic bite is followed by an off-putting emptiness that arrives at the same time as the malt flavors. Strange.

Drinkability -- Mouthfeel notwithstanding, this is an easily drinkable brew, suitable for consumption year-round (if you ask me). Likely to be very versatile with food, this beer is highly recommended. If you like traditional Bavarian wheat beers, you've got to give this one a try.

I suspect this one would be even better on tap, as nearly all hefeweizens are.

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

Beautiful spring day at BT...finally! I hope winters cold grip is behind us, and stave off summers muggy, stinky breath as long as possible.

A- Typical cloudy brassy sandy brown with a good 1 " white tight bubbled head on top. No thanks on the lemon though.

S- Clovey banana bubble gum with a touch of lemony zest.

T- Just like the nose I get the same banana-gummy flavor with some clovey yeast and touch of coriander white pepper. Citrusy finish.

M- Good consistent bubbly carbonation throughout, dryish finish.

D- I really enjoy this style, makes me think of summer time. I am no expert in the german hefes, but I do endorse this beer as a great represetation of this style done by any US brewer. The spice / floral notes are very pronounced, which is not for everyone....but thoroughly enjoyed by me.

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

Hazy gold color with a nice bright white head that leaves nice lacing. Sweet malt aroma with wheat, banana, clove, lemon, and a touch of vanilla. A fruitness sets things off, followed by bread and spice. Light hops and citrus finish things off and a slight bitterness lingers. Medium in body, crisp and smooth. Easy to drink and very quenching. Very nice.

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

Appearance: Golden clear, nice white head. Fairly clear beer for a wheat. Good head retention.

Aroma: Spicy banana. Slight citrus, with a hint of corriander in the nose. Sweet aroma.

Taste: Very dry flavor. Dry up front and finishing quite dusty. A bit of fruit on the front of the tongue, but not too much. Carbonation level seems high.

Notes: The fruit and spice level doesn't come through into the taste very much, very drinkable. Good thirst quenching backyard summertime ale.

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, typical Brookyln styling in green. Best by date notched on the label, and a good description on the neck - kudos for the full set of information.

Appearance: Pours orange with some red hints and a bit of haze, average head, but good retention.

Smell: Yeasty and some malted wheat, also seems to be a bit of spice.

Taste: very nice combination of yeast notes and plent of wheat flavor, if there is spice here, it is very light and highly complimentary.

Overall impression: Nice weisse beer - good notes I expect from the style, and highly drinkable.

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

I was very happy to try this beer now that it is in bottles. Wonderful fluffy white head with a vigorous pour. A little clear for it's style, but certainly enough presence of yeast floating in the glass. Aromas were wonderful, with classic bananna and clove like scents. Very fresh tasting- this would have fooled me into thinking it was from Germany had I not known. Spicey and slighty tangy, this beer is the first American made Weissbier to really match up against the Germans. A smooth beer, perfect for the warm months, as easy to drink with all kinds of food.

From notes taken 1/5/08.

Served fresh at the brewery while I was waiting for the tour.

A cloudy pale yellow with a finger of white head which lasted quite long.

Wonderful aroma of bananas and clove and bubble gum. This was truly fresh because usually I can't smell the bubble gum.

A wonderful palate as well. I was struck initially with a lemony bite before being lulled with a soft, bready sweetness. And then, a light fruity note of banana. Very refreshing altogether. Creamy and yet crisp.

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

Had on tap at the brewery.

A: Golden straw. Nice white 2 finger head.

S: Strong belgian yeast, clove and banana.

T: Excellent belgian wheat beer. Great!

M: Nicely carbed and clean.

O: Easy drinking and perfect flavors for the style. Love it.

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

A: pours a cloudy, pale, orange-yellow with a small white head that quickly reduces to a thin layer of foam and leaves almost no lace.

S: banana, cloves, spice, citrus and honey

T: honey sweetness up front, followed by a subtle banana-spice flavour that resuces, once again, to a lasting yeasty, honey-sweet aftertaste

M: light and creamy, excellent carbonation and buttey, smooth, yet-crisp citrusy finish.

D: This is a great hefe - I'm diggin' the extra honey touch on this one compared to most other Hefe's I've tried. Nice flavour, good body and very refreshing. I could see myself throwing back a few of these on many occasion in the future. Brooklyn continues to impress me.

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

32oz growler filled at Whole Foods served in a weizen glass.

L - slightly hazed golden color with a white head that went away altogether after a few minutes.

S - heavy on the banana along with some other spices.

T - very good tasting hefe, banana, some bubblegum, wheat, yeast and spice all blended nicely.

F - medium bodied with a good level of carbonation.

O - a very good example of the style.

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

Pale, hazy yellow with a bubbly 3 finger head that fades to a lasting ring.

Aroma is crisp and very wheaty, with hints of lemony citrus, banana, clove, and Bavarian yeast.

Flavor is exceptional for an American Hefe. Crisp wheat, lemon peel, mushy banana, light clove spice, and peppery hops make this one of my all-time summer favorites.

Body is medium, slick, and wheaty with a soft mouthfeel and infinate drinkability. Light, loose carbonation add to the slippery mouthfeel. Great stuff.

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

Had this on-tap at the brewery on 4/9/11.

Review taken from notes.

A - This beer pours a hazy golden yellow color. It has a nice 3-figner slightly off-white head. The head had good retention and left behind some nice lacing.

S - The smell is awesome. There is a huge banana aroma. Also, there are nice notes of spicy yeast, lemony citrus, and a touch of caramel. Great great smell.

T - The taste is great as well. It tastes just like a hefeweizen should. There are flavors of bananas, bread, yeast, citrus, and some sweet malt. The finish is nice and clean.

M - It has a medium body with crisp carbonation. It goes down very smooth and creamy. It has a great mouthfeel for the style. The finish is clean and a touch dry.

O - This had great drinkability. The flavor was great, and it goes down so easy. I could easily drink a bunch of these in a sitting. Overall, I thought this was a great beer, and I will most definitely be getting some more of this.

4.28/5  rDev +12.6%

I liked this beer a lot.

Got a pint of it at the Brooklyn Jazz Bar in Newark Liberty International Airport. Poured in totally the wrong glass, but I won't hold that against it.

Probably one of the best hefes I've had. Nice and cloudy, a little lighter than some... no head at all, but I think that was the glass.

Great banana-and-clove smell, as befits the style. Some hoppiness in there as well, and some more sour fruits... apples or pears maybe. Also a bit more malt presence than some others.

Taste matches the aroma very well. Bananas and spices, primarily, with some grainy notes, and a slightly more bitter bite than I'm used to in a hefe weizen.

Very easy drinking for the style, and I think I wouldn't get as tired of the flavour as fast with this one than with others I've tried. Too bad it cost me $8 for the pint. Yeesh.

4.28/5  rDev +12.6%

Brooklyn's take on a hefe, paired at one of their dinners with a grilled shrimp pretzel with dual mustard sauce.

A - What you would expect from a hefe. Large, billowing head

S - Very good. Maybe I was really hungry, maybe my smell receptors were dialed up, but this had the banana/clove hefe aroma down and then some.

T - Maybe just the power of suggestion, but I tasted a bit of mustard seed along with the fruit and spice contributed by the hefe yeast.

F - A little burpy, but that's something I can't get around with hefes.

D - Good. Tasty, filling...but more than tasty enough to make you want to keep drinking.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%