Brooklyner Weisse - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: UnionMade on 08-01-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyner Weisse Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

I liked this beer a lot.

Got a pint of it at the Brooklyn Jazz Bar in Newark Liberty International Airport. Poured in totally the wrong glass, but I won't hold that against it.

Probably one of the best hefes I've had. Nice and cloudy, a little lighter than some... no head at all, but I think that was the glass.

Great banana-and-clove smell, as befits the style. Some hoppiness in there as well, and some more sour fruits... apples or pears maybe. Also a bit more malt presence than some others.

Taste matches the aroma very well. Bananas and spices, primarily, with some grainy notes, and a slightly more bitter bite than I'm used to in a hefe weizen.

Very easy drinking for the style, and I think I wouldn't get as tired of the flavour as fast with this one than with others I've tried. Too bad it cost me $8 for the pint. Yeesh.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

A: pours a cloudy, pale, orange-yellow with a small white head that quickly reduces to a thin layer of foam and leaves almost no lace.

S: banana, cloves, spice, citrus and honey

T: honey sweetness up front, followed by a subtle banana-spice flavour that resuces, once again, to a lasting yeasty, honey-sweet aftertaste

M: light and creamy, excellent carbonation and buttey, smooth, yet-crisp citrusy finish.

D: This is a great hefe - I'm diggin' the extra honey touch on this one compared to most other Hefe's I've tried. Nice flavour, good body and very refreshing. I could see myself throwing back a few of these on many occasion in the future. Brooklyn continues to impress me.

4.23/5  rDev +11.3%

This is a great domestic and generally I don't go for weisse because imports as they just don't taste right. Pours a fluffy white head, that has staying power. This has the sour, mashy, wheaty flavor without a heavy after taste. Goes down smooth, slightly heavy but is definately thirst quenching. It's more complex than I'm describing, but I'm overwhelmed with a solid fondation and freshnesss. Well worth trying.

4.22/5  rDev +11.1%

A- Poured a straw colored yellow with more clarity than expected for unfiltered. Small thick white head that didn't linger to long.
S- Clove heavy with undertones of bananaa and yeast.
T- Clove at first with a finish of banana and yeast. Crisp and clean and smooth.
M- Nice mouthfeel not as smooth as some hefe's but overall nice feel
D- very drinkable went well with the fish I prepared on the grill. Great beer for warmer weather. Could easily had more than one!

4.22/5  rDev +11.1%

This beer pours a pale, golden, cloudy color with a decent amount of carbonation. Subtle hints of clove and banana stand out. Taste is kind of thin and somewhat watery with hints of clove and banana as well that stand out after another sip. Not a bad example of this style but I swear I've had better ones.

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

The beer was a hazy golden color with the typical large hefe head and plenty of lacing. The aroma was a strong base of wheat with the usual citrus undertone and a hint of clove. The taste is all hefe with the characteristic citrus flavor and a hint of banana, I think. I really liked this beer. I haven't had many Brooklyn beers but if they're all as good as this, I will be drinking a lot more. The mouthfeel is especially cleansing with that citrusy ting. I could have had many of these but the day was young and there were other bars to visit.

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

23 oz pour at the JFK Airport pub. Hazy, dark yellow to golden color. Big creamy fluffy off-white head, specs and holes in it. Sticky. Lots of usual spot on for the style smells of cloves, herbs, sweetness and bananas. Taste was crisp and refreshing with a sublte spiciness to it. Definitly a tart citrus crispness that matched the full weisse bananas sweetness. Light to medium body, very easy going down. No harsness, a true weiss, and very good for the style. I really enjoyed this one. Bit pricey though about $8.50 for a beer.

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

Rubbed my eyes when I saw this six pack available at McLean Ave Dist in Yonkers NY. I've enjoyed it at the Brewery on Friday nights and at bars, but never seen retail.

Poured into Heffe glass with small but tight amber head. Body is cloudy dark tan and orangesque. Well balanced carbonation as it breathes.

The smell of fruit with emphasis on orange is detectable. More than likely Garrett has cloves and bananas within as well.

T: This is where the show really picks up folks. This could be the best American Weiss I have ever had out of a bottle. Medium to strong wheat meets your pallet. Rich complexity of the beer comes through in the 2nd aftertaste. This is where the darkesh hue cloudy color came through with spades.

M: Smooth and tight.

D: As easy as rolling out of bed. Has some tartness at the end.

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

The beer pours a cloudy golden wheat color, topped with a big, frothy white head. I had some yeast sediment in the bottom of my bottle, so i don't know about this being unfiltered. Not as cloudy as some weiss beers I've had, but still attractive. Great head retention, keeping a thick foam.
Aroma is excellent, with plenty of clove and some banana. Clove is very pronounced, with a pleasing spiciness. Soft wheat malt, with a bit of yeasty aroma. A bit of phenolic thinner-like feel you get with real german weissbiers. A bit mild and subdued, not quite up to speed with the imported versions, but definitely a fine rendition from an american brewery.
Flavor is very light and refreshing. A soft, gentle wheat malt caresses your tongue with a sparkly effervescence, giving way to a rich, almost cloying, estery phenolic fruitiness. Moderate banana, with a hint of bubblegum. Spicy clove follows, finishing the beer with a resurfacing wheat presence and some powdery yeast. A lingering maltiness, leaving a powdery, dusty yeasty feel in your mouth. Nice and dry in the finish. Extremely satisfying on a hot summer day.
Easily one of the best domestic wheat ales this summer. Not quite up to the standard of Schneider or Ayinger hefeweisens, but very good. I thoroughly enjoyed the single i bought, and promptly went back for a six pack.

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

A: Nice cloudyness, fluffy white head, but disipates quickly.

S: Mostly citrus and yeast with some malty sweetness.

T: Initally banana sweetness, followed by quick yeast nuttyness. Malty aftertaste and some cirtusy yeast, in conjuction with a slight bitterness.

M: Moderatly full, small bubbles, good carbonation, mouth watering finish, which I like.

D: Hefes are bound to score pretty high, here. Light and refreshing, but I can't take too much hefe flavor after awhile.

Good overall flavor, though not as complex as some hefes. Still really good, especially for the price.

4.19/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a slightl hazy golden/orange with pretty thin head,nice aroma of citruis and cloves and malted wheat nice array going on there.Very refrrshing brew lots of lemon with a light spice and a wheaty taste in the finish and aftertaste,very nice.One of the better wheat beers I have had in awhile and its American to boot.Could drink these under the sun with ease.

4.19/5  rDev +10.3%

Very good American brewed wheat... bavarian style. I'm often skeptical of a american brewed weisse, but this was damn good. The clove was slighty overshadowed by the banana, but I love my fermenting ester flavors so I dug it. it's pour was too filtered, for claiming to be unfiltered and too bottle carbonated- the pitfall of most popular american heffeweizen (Widmer-UFO)... But the taste was nice banana ester, but not as strong as the nose. I would recommend this beer both as a meal beer and a drinking man's beer, versatile and a solid wheat... not too fruity, but not to plain...too carbonated, but I imagine a great american/bavarian weisse on tap. I think it's a premire brooklyn brew.

4.18/5  rDev +10%

I'll admit it - I'm biased. I live near Brooklyn's Brewery, attended a few events there and around this area recently, and I've met Steve, Tom, and Mr. Oliver. This was one of the beers I anticipated for this spring, since I had fond memories of enjoying it last year. I wish it was released a bit earlier, but the wait was well worth it, as this is still one of their finer offerings!

The pour was great, and I've gotten into the habit of swirling the last bit of beer before pouring it in. Wonderful amber hue, tall head (even thought it didn't last long), lots of bubbles on the lacing that slid down rapidly, and a smooth, clove and citrus nose rounded out this beers attributes. Very easy to drink, with a light, grassy tone to it and the abovementioned olfactory notes right behind it. Almost no bitterness, but this was full without being too malty. The aftertaste was nearly nonexistent, but with something this smooth and enjoyable, it felt nice to just have it slowly fade until the next sip. This resembled the Brooklyn Lager a bit in terms of the underlying taste and yeast strain, but this wasn't as sharp and would be much easier to drink in warmer weather.

This beer's a winner in my book, hands down. Even though it's available year round, this just screams out "spring!" all over it. From it's label color, taste, smoothness, and enduring lightness, it's one of the season's best session brews and would be a great start for someone getting into craft brews and/or Hefe Weizen's. This was very enjoyable on many fronts!

4.17/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This was Brooklyn's first beer produced at their brewery in Williamsburg, NY (draft only facility) back in '96. Until this summer, it was available as a draft only product.

It pours a hazy orange color w/ a white head into my 20 oz Brooklyner Weisse glass. It has typical aromas of banana, clove and hint of bubblegum at the start. Along w/ their Blanche, this in another outstanding summer quencher.

Atfer seven yrs in production, this was finally bottled by their contract brewer, FX Matt in Utica, NY as a summer seasonal. Almost seems like the draft version's little brother. While still a very good beer in its own right, it lacks some of the complexity of the draft version. I would probably knock off 1/2 to 1 point in each category.

Had bought a sixtel of this for my kids' birthday party last year and it was a real treat drinking it on a hot summer day.

4.17/5  rDev +9.7%

Best by August or September 2006 notched on the side of the label. Purchased to enjoy on the boat over the last week or so.
Pours a slightly hazy golden with a sticky and persistent big bubbled white head.
Expected wheat brew aromas, predominated by banana and the other esthers...
All the expected flavors are here (banana, clove, some medicinal and bubblegum at times as well). Much less yeast bite than one gets with many of the bottled versions here in the US.
Lighter mouthfeel with a slight lingering citrus. Incredibly drinkable, especially directly out of the ice supposedly brought along for fish. We'll be coming back to this one again this summer.

4.17/5  rDev +9.7%

Got this one on tap at the Big Hunt in DC. Haven't been particularly blown away by the Brooklyn stuff I've had...good, but not great. This one definitely exceeded my expectations. Looked okay, but the real pleasant surprise was in the strength of aroma and flavor. Smells just how a hefeweizen should, and you could nearly smell the citrus and wheat across the table. One of the better American hefeweizens I've had.

4.17/5  rDev +9.7%

A- Pours a hazy golden orange color with loads of carbonation bubbles, and a 1 finger head that has some decent retention, but nice lacing.

S- Quite a bit of clove, hints of yeast and touch of banana. Loads of wheaty twang, and suggestions of darker breadiness.

T- Starts out with a spot of banana-bread note, then moves into some wheaty twang, some clove, then finishes with light citrus and residual banana flavors.

M- Although the beer displays loads of carbonation bubbles, I only get light carbonation which works well for me.

D- This is one hell of a session beer. It's not a weihenstephaner by any means but more of a gentle twist on the German Style. Quite enjoyable.

4.16/5  rDev +9.5%

This beer poured with out much of a head for me, and it's also surprising that it's a rather clear straw color without much yeast floating around. I bought it as part of a basket of five different beers that was marked down from a ridiculous 25 dollars to $4.99. Still, the label claimed fresh before July.

The smell is extremely clove-heavy as it should be; banana abounds as well. There's a spice that I can't place in the aroma that is really emphasized in the taste. It's slightly cinnamon, a bit meaty, like roasted ham, plus vanilla and butterscotch. There's definitely a lot going on.

The taste is much as i described, but the cinnamon spiciness, and some fruitiness is highlighted.

The mouthfeel is interesting, bready, foamy, sharp on the finish, and of course spicy if that makes sense. Again, complex.

Nothing major to detract from drinkability. True to style.

This might be the most impressive offering by Brooklyn Brewery I've had yet, aside from the appearance, which may have been due to a weak pour. Still, no lacing, no real sign of head retention. If i had another 20 minutes to smell it I could probably find 20 more aromas. Good summer ale.

4.15/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured a crisp golden orange color that left a thick white head that disappated quickly leaving a small lace. The aroma is fresh, brisk, orange and lemon zest followed by a generous helping of citrus and piney hop bite. It follows with a sweet banana and spice background typical with a Hefeweizen. The taste is highly carbonated, sharp bitter bite of hops round out this sweet bready fruity interpretation of the style.

Brooklyner Weisse from Brooklyn Brewery