Brooklyner Weisse - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyner WeisseBrooklyner Weisse

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: UnionMade on 08-01-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyner Weisse Alström Bros
3.55/5  rDev -6.6%

Best before 10/06 notched-out of the label.

Pours a cloudy-hazy golden orange with a bright white 1/2" with visible carbonation. Not really any lacing to speak of.

A funky straw earthiness is present in the nose, along with a bland cereal-like maltiness. I swirl my pounder pint glass and catch some lemony-citrus notes.

Nice clove flavors along with a stony mineral-like flavor. Not much banana or bubblegum, but there's the bright citrus edge which is nice. Flavors seem a bit muted seeing this is touted as a 'traditional Bavarian style wheat beer'.

Mouthfeel is spot-on for a wheat. Playful carbonation and a tad bit lighter in body that lets say a 'traditional Bavarian style wheat beer'.

Drinkability is very good. Quenchingly perfect for this mid-80s early evening.

A good wheat beer. Just good. I'd love to try this on-tap at the source. Until then, I'll stick with the Weihenstephaner, as long as it's FRESH.

malty, Jul 31, 2006
3.68/5  rDev -3.2%

12oz bottle

appearance - cloudy golden colour, frothy white head

aroma - lemon zest, coriander, cloves, pepper

taste - citrus, lemon zest, clove, orange aftertaste

mouthfeel - decent carbonation, light bodied somewhat sweet taste

drinkability - these can go down pretty smoothly

decent hefe, doesnt really hold up against the German versions of the style, but on its own, pretty solid

keithmurray, Apr 17, 2010

Pale, cloudy, yellow, 1/2 inch head. Definite weisse aroma. Dry, wheat, cardboard, orange peel, coriander, yeast. The taste is very similar to the smell. A standard wiesse beer with a full body, rich taste and clean mouthfeel. Brooklyn can sure make a clean beer and with the low ABV, it will make a great addition to my summer sessions.

Rudgers73, Jul 27, 2007
3.3/5  rDev -13.2%

The appearance is a bit cloudy and copper colored. The head is medium sized and white.

The nose detects yeast, cloves and a bit of citrus with spice.

Its flavor is yeasty, a bit of citrus and has an aftertaste that almost reminds me of a portabella mushroom.

The mouth feel is sparkly with generous amounts of carbonation and light in the body department.

This one is an easy drinking beer, but not one that I will go out of my way to get another of.

Naes, Jul 30, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Oh my... what a great Weisse!

Pours a dark, cloudy golden-amber. A little darker than the Weisse's I've had previously. Also, a bit clearer. I like them cloudier. Nice, delicate head. Smell is pleasantly infused with fruits, yeasts, and some wheatiness. Taste is smooth wonderful. The balance between the yeast, wheat, and fruit is exceptional. My favorite Weisse at the moment.

aquatonex, Dec 06, 2004

erha2, May 23, 2012
3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours golden with just a little haze. Wispy head of white is gone in an instant. Just a hint of clove on the nose and little "burnt" malt. Silky smooth entry - fills out the palate well. Spritzy, a little bit of clove, lots of wheat malts - that slight burnt character. A rich flavor profile. Love the mouthfeel and finish. A nice dose of hops.

A very good wheat beer of distiniction.

sweethome, Jun 27, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a hazy golden color with an abundance of white, frothy head that slowly disappates. No lacing. Smells wheaty and malty, sweet but a dry sweetness- nothing too overpoweringly sugary. Also getting whiffs of vanilla and a nice presence of banana. Just a lovely nose on this guy.

Taste is dry and slightly tart- more banana, wheatyness, and some sweet malt. A light sour tang in the background that's a tich lemony. Some spices are floating around in there that I can't quite pinpoint- clove, maybe?-, but it livens the beer up. A nice-feeling, light breadyness near the end of the sip. All very well-balanced- though just a taaaad lacking compared to the nose.

The mouthfeel is lightly chewy, light, very easy to drink. I could have a few of these, easy, especially at the end of a hot summer day. Refreshing.

scooter231, Aug 30, 2005

Snellgg5, May 25, 2014
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I bought this on the cheap ($2.50 for a sixpack) from my local beerporium, likely because it's marked "best before January '08". Oh well, we'll see how its age affects its flavor. It poured a darkish yellow with copper highlights with a single-finger head and some aggressive visible carbonation. The smell is pretty fruity, with some orange and banana and some wheat smell. The taste starts off with some orange and banana that gives way to some spices and an interesting amount of floral taste. The mouthfeel is a little watery with decent amount of very fine carbonation that makes for a very crisp feeling. This is a very drinkable beer, and doesn't seem to have suffered from its age. I'd love to try it on tap somewhere to compare.

TheTrevor, Nov 10, 2008

goalie33, Feb 24, 2014
3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

Strangely, the first thing I have to say about this beer is about the label: the lime green label struck me as a tad bit odd, but certainly eye-catching. The beer inside the bottle is top-notch however, and it just might be the best American wheat beer I've ever had.

Brookylner Weisse pours a hazy yellow-gold color with a decent foamy head that lasts about 2 minutes and leaves some sticky lace. The aroma was a bit average for a hefe: yeasty, some banana notes, and perhaps even a bit musty. The moutfeel was low in carbonation and quite smooth. Quite a summer quencher and dangerously quaffable. The flavors in this brew are very true to the style. The banana, cloves, spices, and yeast are all here. A sweet beer but there is some dryness in the finish to help balance things out. Not really complex but very flavorful. The dryness continues into aftertaste with some wheat flavors and some spices, and the brew concludes with no alcoholic warmth.

As I mentioned before, this is probably the best American made wheat brew I've had, and it is also probably a contender for the best hefeweizen I've had. Quite an accomplishment for a hefe that isn't even made in Germany! Great thirst quencher, and I couldn't even fathom tarnishing this with lemon, so leave it out if you pick up this beer.

Beastdog75, Sep 27, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

Hazy gold color with a nice bright white head that leaves nice lacing. Sweet malt aroma with wheat, banana, clove, lemon, and a touch of vanilla. A fruitness sets things off, followed by bread and spice. Light hops and citrus finish things off and a slight bitterness lingers. Medium in body, crisp and smooth. Easy to drink and very quenching. Very nice.

Lupe, May 19, 2004
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had on tap at the Country Corner in Setauket, NY. Served in a pint glass. I ordered it because I thought it was going to be similar to the Brooklyner Schneider Hopfen Weisse brew that I had in my early craft days and loved, but it turns out its a hefeweizen instead of a weizenbock.

Look: hazy to the point of murky, yellow body with a thin white head. The head doesn't retain for longer than a few minutes before disappearing entirely and doesn't leave any lacing behind.

Smell: not detecting any banana or clove aromas, which adds to the fact that I didn't think this was a hefeweizen. Sweet, bready malt with a bit of wheat and a touch of spice are the aromas I get in the nose.

Taste: again, falls short for the style. A bit of grain, pale malt, some wheat, and a bit of a bitter tang that is almost sour really stands out in the finish. This made be wonder if this wasn't a Berliner Weisse.

Feel: medium towards thin, lightly carbonated, and a bit sour and bitter.

Drink: still quite easy drinking. I had no problems finishing my pint but I did pick something different after my first pint.

Overall, this beer is okay but nothing special. I'm not a huge hefeweizen fan to begin with but this doesn't seem to fit the style for me. The banana and clove taste are the things I look for first and foremost in my hefeweizens and both seemed absent. I did think I enjoyed it more than my score will indicate but I was trying to review it against the style. There are much better Brooklyn beers available so I would select one of those. Cheers!

SkunkWorks, Feb 23, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

ejh06752, Feb 10, 2013

BugTownPub, Feb 06, 2013
4.68/5  rDev +23.2%

Cloudy, hazy yellow gold with a white head that trails off to lace. Very appetizing, lemony-wheat nose with a background vanilla/clove esteriness.

Yeahboy, this is the stuff! If I were a hefeweiss, this is what I'd want to taste like. A big, chewy body full of clove, vanilla, and wheat malt, with a citric component to keep things in a nigh-on perfect balance to my taste. Very slight banana ester presence in the background which rounds out the flavor profile. Slightly prickly mouthfeel at the start, but then it relaxes a bit after several sips. So do I, for that matter. As it goes down it leaves a clove followed by vanilla-banana flavor that lingers. How does it taste when it warms up? I may never find out. Simply an outstanding example of a hefe - drink it like you vote, early and often.

sponberg, Jun 06, 2003
3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

Erice78, Oct 08, 2013

smithmd4, Dec 21, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

jurbanik, Jul 31, 2012

kb2250, Jul 13, 2012
3.8/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a bottle with an Oct 07 drink by date. Comes out a golden amber color that is fairly clear with a white head. The head is thin, falling to a crown with little or no lacing.

The aroma is fruity and banana-like. The taste is a fruity apricot flavor with a touch of clove. I like the tangy mouthfeel.

abcsofbeer, Jul 05, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

Milkysunshine, Nov 17, 2012
3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

A- Slightly cloudy pale yellow color with a small off white head. Head dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing on the glass.

S- Citrus, banana, clove, spices and bubblegum dominate the nose.

T- Orange and banana first, then some nice clove and spice notes, followed by a mild sweet finish. Kind of falls a little flat at the finish as the sweetness needs to be a little stronger.

M- Medium in body and feels light in the mouth, decent carbonation.

D- Easy drinking summer brew and with an ABV of 5.1% it makes a decent session beer.

If they can work out the finish this could be a great hefe.

ToddT, Jul 03, 2009
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Brooklyn Brewery? Hefeweizen? This can't help but be good, I'm sure...

Not so fast, my friend. It poured a golden color with a thin, white head--pretty strange looking for a hefeweiss, with no trace of cloudyness and only a little drop of yeast. There's little depth to this one, which has a nice, wheaty flavor with hints of citrus and spice, but not much else. On the plus side, it is very drinkable, and enjoyable--even if it is a touch simplistic.

I blame myself for expecting too much from what is a good but not great beer.

RockyTopHeel, Jan 25, 2004