Brooklyn Brown Ale - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 06-10-1998

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Brown Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,201 | Reviews: 949

Excellent classic Brown Ale taste.

Verry good brown ale.

Nice thick head rich and cremy.
Full body nice color deep dark hue.
Taste very brown almost like a catchers mit goes down
smooth verry dry.
Good after taste. somthing to look fowerd to at the end of the
glass

4.85/5  rDev +33.6%

What an excellent brown ale! Poured a wonderful deep brown with great head and good lacing throughout. A wonderful deep and dark malty aroma, with wonderful woodiness and roastiness. It's a great ent-draught flavor, with a deep dark malty tone and wonderful slight earthy finish. Goes down deep and thick, quite wonderful indeed!

4.84/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: This beer pours a very deep and dark amber/ mahogany color with a thin but really creamy, off white film that just blankets the top. Very nice looking beer!

S: Aroma is of roasted malt and barley with signatures of coffee and vanilla. There is a small presence of hops at the end.

T: I get an initial coffee flavor that is followed by vanilla and oak. Roasted malts come through in the middle of the tongue, finishes with dry hops and yeast.

M: Initial pour had lots of carbonation but settles down as the beer warms. Rich, creamy and smooth ultimately defines this dark bodied beer.

O: This Brown ale is a lot darker and thicker than most other brown ales I have had. The creamy and smooth texture combined with the balance of flavor really makes this a complete Brown Ale. I got this in a mix-a-six, but would by a 6 pack all by its self. One of the best Brown Ales I have had thus far!

4.84/5  rDev +33.3%

Very rich in flavour....loved it

4.79/5  rDev +32%

First beer from Brooklyn that I tried. Poured with deep red color almost brown. Deep deep red. Head faded into little bit of foam. Aroma fantastic. Deep figs. Cherries. Fruit. Some hops. Then the taste. Great coffee flavor and roasted chestnuts. Some biscuit flavor. Love it here. Mouthfeel great like silk. Man this is a winner. First zbrooklyn beer but won't ne my last.

BROWN ALE FROM BROOKLYN YES PLEASE

4.75/5  rDev +30.9%

I had this at an informal brown ale tasting and I chose this as the winner in my book.
Poured a dark mahogany with a tiny rim of head.
The smell was wonderful. French roast coffee, roasted sticky malts mixed with minor floral hops.
I enjoyed the sweet malt tied with dark fruits much like figs or slightly green plums when tasting. It ended with a mild citrus note. Once it warmed hazelnuts surfaced just adding to the already wonderful flavors.
It had a thin minor syrupy consistency with moderate carbonation .
This was great beer. All the subtle flavors worked marvelously together.

4.75/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is an all around good beer. I visited the brewery and was amazed by the dedication to the specific styles of beer the have embraced. The beer itself is worth the effort.

4.66/5  rDev +28.4%

Very mellow, great malt flavor. Has enough hops to keep it interesting

4.65/5  rDev +28.1%

Dark brown, more so than I'd expect for the style. Hazlenut and roast dominate the smell. The flavor follows suit. Coffee roast dominates but it gives way to a subtle malt that banishes any thought of bitterness. Wow. Really, truly impressive. Mothfeel is silky and ribbon soft. Just enough carbonation to add interest. Drinkability? Barkeep, hit me again!

4.62/5  rDev +27.3%

First- I'm pretty sure this is the best brown I've ever had the pleasure of tasting. So complex, but at the same time quite easy drinking.
Pours reddish brown, with a white head that goes away pretty quick.
Smell is deep, rich and chocolate. Quite impressive. There is a slight floral hop aroma in the depths of the nostrils. Very faint, but there nonetheless.
Slight acid up front, rounding out into sweet chocolate tones by mid tongue. There is an end bitterness that lingers on the tongue for a bit. All of these flavors are pronounced, but none of them overpower one another. Quite well done.
Silky mouthfeel supported by an appropriate carbonation.
As you can see, I'm quite happy with this beer and find it quite drinkable. Goes great by itself and even better with well made food.

4.6/5  rDev +26.7%

This was a couple months past the best by date, don't know if that influenced the taste.

This beer poured a decent head which dissipated fairly quickly leaving some lacing.

The aroma is pleasing but hard to put a finger on with maybe a toffee smell.

I tasted several cocoa, toffee, and coffee notes throughout each drink. It was pleasing from the start to the finish with a decent mouthfeel. After each drink the beer was lively and some head would come back.

I really like this one. Had several great tastes and good drinkability. I will be getting more.

4.59/5  rDev +26.4%

I really enjoyed this beer. It seems a lot more assertive than most other browns I've tried. Vey dark amber/ruby in color, with almost no head at all. Aroma is dominated by rich caramel malt, with a nuttiness than becomes more assertive as the beer warms. The flavor is quite terrific. Starts with a sweet caramel malt, develops some chocolatey notes mid-palate, then gives way to a satisfyingly bitter hop finish. Just when you think it's over, a surprisingly roasty aftertaste kicks in, lending an extra dryness to the finish and leaving you yearning for another sip. Medium-full in body, this was quite an enjoyable beer.

4.53/5  rDev +24.8%

I just tried this beer tonight. It was at a place called paddy's irish pub in rochester, NY. Had a couple of the brooklyn brown ale on tap. I thought it was awesome. Very smooth brown american ale.They sell it at our local wegmans. Wegmans Just opened a couple isles full of micro brews in rochester. There must be at least 200-300 different beers.

4.5/5  rDev +24%

Cask-conditioned from a freshly offered firkin at the Savoy Restaurant's annual cask event (Manhattan).

Deep brown with an energetic light tan head. The enticing aroma was malty and slightly perfumed. Flavour was predominately malty but with hops balancing out the taste stability well. Natural carbonation from cask-conditioning tickled my tongue, and the maltiness made this beer tantalising and ever so slightly 'chewy'. The dry, moderately malty finish complemented the taste experience.

A great beer for trying cask-conditioned if you get the chance; bottled Brooklyn Brown - much more common obviously - is good too but never as great as a fresh cask.

very nice brown ale.
pours a brown/mahognay color with hints of ruby when held to the light. it develops a nice 1 inch head that dissipates at a medium rate
aroma of sweet caramel, chocolate notes and slight nut with a faint but noiotced hop aroma.
taste was carmel malts with hitns of chocolate and nut.
mouth feel is creamy, smooth and coats the tongue well.
very nice brown.

4.5/5  rDev +24%

The colour is deep brown-red. The finger thick head is firm, off-white and compact. Lots of lacing.

The smell is fresh and fruity with some roasted notes and a tarty hint. Very elegant.

The taste is fruity and a bit sweet. Hints of caramel, raisins, marzipan and cherries. Overall the flavours are very balanced with lots of character. Notes of cream, but no diacetyl. The bitterness is medium, as is the body. The aftertaste adds some mild sourish-bitter notes with a fine blend of American hops.

The carbonation is strong and fresh. Lots of small fine bubbles. Stronger than expected, but it works.

A very nice beer: Refreshing, drinkable and complex at the same time!

4.5/5  rDev +24%

very nice beer! good any time of year. has more body and flavor compared to new castle. purchased a six pack from a local six pack shop. can easily drink 5 or 6 in session! next time i will definately pick up a case. would also like to try this one on tap!

4.5/5  rDev +24%

really really solid. pours a slightly cloudy brown with a khaki colored head. smells sweet and slightly roasted. you can smell slight hop notes as well. very smooth taste. mellow nut like flavors, slight chocolate. very sweet, not too sweet. very well rounded. awesome american brown ale, one of the better one i've sampled. i guess it doesn't hurt that the brewery's from my hometown. sessionable beyond belief.

4.5/5  rDev +24%

Pours a transparent but dark and deep chestnut, with a chunky foam head, tons of shards of stain, and some good lace.

Smells of malty scents: chocolate, wood, roasted walnuts. Deep and luxurious. Taste is light: a mix of thin malt, dry burnt toast, and a little hops at the end. But it expands to chocolate flavors, and boy does it ever... sweet without ever being a sweet beer, there is a slight fruitiness in this beer, too. The finish tastes of roasted nuts and coffee of the highest quality without toasting your tastebuds. Impressively full of flavor and character.

To me, had the exact mouthfeel for the style: thin in the British session ale tradition. Thus, it's excessively drinkable as adherence to the style should dictate. Great on tap in NYC, good in bottles. A good beer to always have around, and excellent for wooing the ignorant into beerdom. This is my standard for the style.

4.49/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

If Jesus had this as an option at Cana, He would have turned water into Brown Ale. Heavenly.

4.48/5  rDev +23.4%

This brew has quickly become my favorite in the Brooklyn line, which, by extension, makes it my favorite beer in the whole entire universe. Yeah. Soooo, it's packed with flavor and is medium to dark in color. Some say it's drinkability prevents it from being a session beer but I disagree. Drink it, and drink lots of it.

4.48/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The ratings above are from the most recent tasting:

August 22, 2013: I'm doing another tasting comparing this beer alongside Real Ale's Brewhouse Brown. (both were bought as bottles from Central Market in Fort Worth, TX).

Most of my notes from the previous reviews are still spot on, but I would say that this time the hops are very dominant, maybe too dominant. There is still plenty of toastyness but the malt seems subdued. I like a dry brown ale but it is hard to pull off. This beer doesn't quite get the job done. Too many hops and not enough toastyness and maltyness to balance out the bitter elements.

Updated on September 1, 2011: Only wanted to add that this beer when drunk alongside Real Ale Brewhouse Brown is much sweeter, but with a nice dry backbone. Not as good as RA but enjoyable all the same.

Review from April 16, 2007: AP: 4.5 AR: 4.5 F: 5.0 MF: 4.5 OA: 4.5

I'm drinking this at the jfk airport before flying out of nyc.

Incredible! I don't want to overdue the superlatives, but this the best brown ale I've had in some time.

Pretty mahogony brown with tan head. Nice slightly creamy mouthfeel.

The aroma is spectacular.lots of nice roasted malts. The flavor is a superb balance of roasted toasty malts, a tiny bit caramel and chocolate and a surprising surge of hops that gives a nice bite.

Very sessionable. I look forward to drinking this again on my next trip to ny.

4.48/5  rDev +23.4%

It must speak volumes about my dedication to both CANs and AIPAs that it has taken me over 2,600 reviews before I have gotten around to this one. I am trying to reduce my backlog of bottles so that I may resume The CANQuest (TM) in earnest. Please bear with me in the interim.

From the bottle: "Brewed in New York"; "Ruby mahogany in color, Brooklyn Brown Ale is richer and hoppier than its mild and malty English forebears. Chocolate and coffee flavors punctuate the roasty malt background. Brooklyn Brown is brewed with malted barley, hops, water, and yeast, and will taste best before the freshness date indicated."

Chez Woody's kitchen is much like the alley at the beginning of each episode of "King of the Hill" - nothing happens until the CAN is cracked, the bottle cap is popped, the keg is tapped and pouring, etc. The bottle is like my Old Lady at this point - sweating in anticipation of my touch and ready to pop. Boom! The rush of liquid into my glass was fascinating, creating a big, rolling pseudo-cascade as I watched. Like most males, I am a very visual learner and I was transfixed by the creation of two-plus fingers of dense, light-tan head with great retention. I held it up to the naural light of the day to behold and I was not disappointed. I fully agree with "mahogany", but I might substitute "garnet" for "ruby" (SRM = > 27, < 34) as I need to put my own stamp on this review. Otherwise, I might just do a cut 'n' paste and call it a day. Did they mention clarity? No. I will classify it as "button-bright" and leave it at that. The nose was malty, sure, but cut with a minty, grassy hoppiness. Remind me, why have I not reviewed this until now? Mouthfeel was full and creamy and the taste was like Baby Bear's Brown Ale - just right! The malt was present, but not cloying and the hops were in the mix, but not overwhelming. I have had English Brown Ales that were sickeningly sweet and American Brown Ales that caused me to wonder if the brewer knows when to take his foot off of the gas when it comes to hops. Finish was smooth, semi-dry and eminently drinkable. I do not often drink Brown Ales, but when I do, Brooklyn Brown is my choice. Stay crazy, my friends.

16 oz cask condition at The Old Toad

Pours a thick cream colored head with good retention

Smells of caramel and light chocolate aromas

Taste is smooth with hints of caramel , nuts and a faint chocolate
so smooth , give me more!

I originaly liked this beer in bottle and regular draft but on cask brings this beer to another level A+ to Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brown Ale from Brooklyn Brewery