Brooklyn Brown Ale - Brooklyn Brewery

good

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 06-10-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Brown Ale Alström Bros
MikeyC37

01-16-2012 18:45:52 | More by Lang44
wailingwench

New Mexico

1.73/5  rDev -52.3%

Eye Candy: Pored a very thin, translucent brown color. Thin head initially, vanished after 2 minutes +/- 30 seconds adjusted to error. No lacing to speak of. Purchased fresh on tap, purchased on a "fire sale", character did not change.

The Nose Knows: Thin, thin, and more thin. This is supposed to be a brown, more like a brown in the Natty Ice tradition. Very minimal malts emerged, some caramel was detected. Simply put, Brooklyn Brown is bland.

Tongueland: Nothing there. Like I said above, thin, thin, and more thin. Bland.

Bender Factor: This poor example was on sale recently for $2.50/ pint at my local watering hole, I wonder why. Never again.

09-05-2004 03:27:22 | More by wailingwench

Puerto Rico

02-10-2014 21:52:09 | More by emakings
Mitchster

1.8/5  rDev -50.4%

Brewed with 2-row, caramel, chocolate, biscuit, and wheat malts. Hopped with Cascade, Willamette, and Northern Brewer.
5.5% ABV.

Pours out to a sparkingly clear deep mahogany with chestnut accents, forming a modest dark-beige head with average retention and very nice lacing. Carbonation is medium. Aroma is actually enticing, something I've not come to expect from this brewery...sweet amber malts predominate, a modest amount of likeable diacetyl (which I normally abhor), some mild earthen hops, vanila extract, and faint milk chocolate. Mouthfeel is initially wet, but quickly becomes ruddy and oxidized with a dry finish and medium body. Taste begins nice enough with very herbal hops, but quickly becomes overpowered by fusel alcohols, nasty buttery diacetyl, and the taste of dank musty cardboard. Finish is woody and leathery like a sofa from the 70's. Aluminum vats and caustic cleaners linger in the aftertaste.

This is my least favorite style, but truly....this is acrid, horrible stuff. This qualifies as "down-the-sink" material. Stay away.

06-29-2004 01:01:37 | More by Mitchster
SerendipitousTaster

1.98/5  rDev -45.5%

I am new to this forum and wish that I could post reviews privately as it is not my intention to influence or inform others but to remind myself. I am not a beer tasting expert and do not know the proper etiquette or vocabulary.

This said, I found the Brooklyn Brown Ale to be pretty in the glass when poured. The color is rich and the head sturdy. I was disappointed though by the thinner than expected and less full bodied flavor overwhelmed by what seemed to be too much carbonation for this brown ale. The ale left only a slight bitter aftertaste on the palate but a less than satisfying overall taste and experience.

I will not purchase in quantity but would drink if offered or even order as the first beer in a steak or barbeque restaurant if better options are not available.

10-30-2012 23:21:30 | More by SerendipitousTaster
blackwingedhorde

01-06-2012 05:47:19 | More by blackwingedhorde
HeyJim

10-22-2012 03:24:52 | More by HeyJim
gregO59

went to a non local shop with selection I would rate as below par. couldn't find anything cold that I would usually buy. decided to try Brooklyn brown ale. usually buy stronger browns but none to be had. 5.6 abv figured it to be fizzy watery brown ale. absolutely right . smells bad, tastes bad, not something I would waste money on. there are plenty of better brown ales out there . no reason to buy again.

09-16-2013 22:55:28 | More by gregO59

chooch5

12-17-2013 03:04:43 | More by chooch5
Oxymoron

Colorado

Paint the city Brooklyn Brown. Pours an opaque brown with amber hues throughout. A decent pour left a soft head with some larger bubbles. Not much lacing but ok retention.

The nose is light over all but some malty notes. Caramel and chocolate mostly but some lighter bready qualities as well. A big oxidation that really is off setting for everything. Some lighter yeasty and earth hop notes as well.

The taste continues much like the nose but its hard to get past the cardboard oxidation flavors. Some minor chocolate notes and a touch of astringency. Some lighter earthy and woody flavors as well.

The body is closer to mid than light. Looking for more body as there is a watery, wispy flavor. Overall really the cardboard flavor is just obnoxious.

03-18-2008 22:07:32 | More by Oxymoron
Conceptuallogic

01-10-2013 18:29:50 | More by Conceptuallogic
username

Maryland

03-18-2013 22:46:32 | More by username
waughbrew

2.05/5  rDev -43.5%

Halfway between a dirty peanut and an earthworm. Muted musty cedar. Splash of weak caramels and cheap black tea. Thin sweet nut-skin finish. I just don't get it. Thin, bland sweetness. I have tried this one on a number of occasions and although it strikes me a little differently each time, and is usually better on draft, I never really enjoy it.

01-19-2005 22:56:48 | More by waughbrew
RevSox08

2.08/5  rDev -42.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams "perfect pint" glass. This is my first time having this beer, and only my second or third time trying a Brooklyn brew.

Appearance - Brown. What struck me most is how clear it is though. You're able to mostly see through it. Kind of disappointing, as I tend to like my brown ales to be darker and more stout-ish.

Smell - Smells of some caramel sweetness, but it's not that significant.

Taste - Not much. Not much at all. A little nutty, but I'm disappointed by the lack of any real flavor. The caramel sweetness in the aroma is definitely not present in the taste. No bitterness. Maybe a TINY bit of diacetyl, but I'm not sure if that's normal or perhaps I just got a bad batch. Nothing noteworthy here.

Mouthfeel - Thin... that's pretty much it.

Overall, I just don't see what anybody could really like about this beer. I finished it because it didn't taste particularly bad; it just didn't taste much like anything at all.

08-07-2012 03:43:07 | More by RevSox08
dasenebler

Maine

2.1/5  rDev -42.1%

12oz, best before July 2012.

Rich, dark chestnut, very clear. Nice creamy head and solid retention.

Aroma has some toasty, lightly roasty malt, a lot of off yeast character, and oxidized notes.

Flavor is oxidized, but some nice maltiness shines through with notes of toasted bread, toffee and chocolate. Pretty bitter and dry. Slightly acidic, and not very clean in the yeast department. Can you say INFECTION? Mouthfeel is very drying, with smooth medium carbonation.

So this is supposed to be good until July 2012? Really? God only knows how rank it'll be by then. Best rethink your packaging code, Brooklyn Brewery. Oxidized and infected is not a great combo, especially four months before the best-by date.

03-03-2012 23:52:45 | More by dasenebler
bmills1608

2.13/5  rDev -41.3%

Quite a dark brown color with a dirty brown head when poured. Head sustains itself pretty well.

I don't know if it is the hops or what, put basically, for me, this beer is just too bitter. It smashed me over the head with bitterness, no balance, and not the usual good bitter taste that I find in so many other brews. I could be talking out my ass here, but I think they used too much roasted malt which imparts a rather bitter taste to begin with, then made the all too common American mirco brewer mistake of WAY to much hop bitterness. It's over the top and in my opinion it is too much. Definitely not what I expected. I think it could be more balanced. Not my style.

03-01-2002 16:14:36 | More by bmills1608