Brooklyn Brown Ale - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 06-10-1998

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Brown Ale Alström Bros

2.51/5  rDev -30.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Well it poured a deep drak brown color which is what I expected. When held up to the light I did catch some red tints to it on the edges. 1 1/2 finger tannish head that dies down leaving very soapy looking lacing that slides down the glass when I drink it.

S- First thing I pick up on is the sweet malts in this beer. Next is the hints of alcohol following the sweetness. Nothing really jumps out at me. Some darker fruits in here along with apples maybe? I am trying hard to pick up something else and really can't.

T- Roasted malts come through...a little coffee taste. Watery in the end. Some chocolate notes in there as well. Nothing really good tasting though. And after reading others reviews recently I know I didn't get a bad bottle.

M- Light mouthfeel to this beer. Carbonation is a little lacking in this beer and makes it sludge through the palate onto the throat. Roasted malts left on the palate and in the aftetaste.

D- This is not really my sort of drinkable beer. I like what they are trying to do here but I do not enjoy the outcome at all.

2.52/5  rDev -30.4%

Eh. This is a bad example of a bad beer. I like brooklyn because it's local but i'm not sure about this beer. I typically don't like brown ales to begin with but this one really has nothing to distinguish it from anything else. Color, smell and flavor are all nothing to get excited about.

2.55/5  rDev -29.6%

Poured into my GI MBA Pint Glass with a best before Feb 2008 on the bottle.

A - the color is reddish brown that reminds me of cherry wood furniture. Very clean looking as it has a bit of a sheen to it as well; i think that aspect of it is what makes me think that it looks like furniture. No head at all on this one, just a thin layer of milkiness sitting on top. with a few bubbles.

S - Smells a bit like hazelnuts to me; also there is malty sweetness within this one too. Rather fragrant but not over the top; also has a bit of a coffee roastiness imho.

T - taste is not as sweet as I would think; there is a big of the deeper, roasted nut taste that I smelled; Also, there is hoppy bitterness to me but it is different than usual; almost a bit sour actually and found that this overpowers the malt that is in the beer. Feels a bit unbalanced IMHO as really the sour taste seems to dominate; could be called dry even but not really because doesn't remind me of a dry wine because there is the persistent sour note. it is almost like the hops and the malt don't go well together as all but instead are fighting each other in some odd battle to make my mouth taste odd.

Mf- very heavily carbonated; this isn't too bad but it does seem like it goes with the hoppy aspect of this brown ale which seems to make this one a bit unique. Although do think it is a little too heavy because at some points, it seems to overpower and overwhelm my mouth so that at some points I really can't even taste anything because I am being completely bombarded with carbonation that almost numbs the tongue.

D - overall a decent brown ale but not one that is even close to blowing me away. I would probably pass on this one if I saw it again. I got it out of a Craft beer mix pack and think it is just a bit too unbalanced for my taste plus i'm kinda surprised by the sourness of the beer, A big disappointment from Brooklyn in my eyes.

2.61/5  rDev -27.9%

A nice 3 finger deep tan head shows fat bubbles and decent lace after a strong pour. The body is the blackest brown you can get, only showing hints of brown around the edges. Nose is a soft roasty malt feel with a zesty nutty backbone. Oddly soured malt feel enters the mouth with a slight shock. This does mellow out quickly though. The what rawness comes through all over the palate. The overall taste is a little sour dominate and not quite developed. Lacks the even richness of what I would expect from a brown ale. Mouthfeel is soured and sharp. Not all that enjoyable overall.

2.62/5  rDev -27.6%

Pours a dark brown with a one finger tan head that leaves little lacing.

Nose is almost non existent, maybe a little malty

Taste is not much better, some subdued malts...very bland

This is one smooth drinking beer, but it does not do much for the senses.

2.65/5  rDev -26.8%

A dark brown ale with a tan head that has good retention and lacing.
The aroma is roasty and has chocolate tones.
Its flavor is grainy and nutty with a mild hop presence. There is also a slight coffee/chocolate presence near the finish.
Mouth feel is light to medium bodied and mildly carbonated.

This beer has an additional flavor that I can not put my finger on that does not agree with me.

2.68/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Somewhat brown but with very red highlights, served with a short tan head, that leaves a patchy lace over the top. Aroma was sweet malts, but I smelled a little hop which didn’t seem characteristic of a brown ale. The taste started with mildly sweet malts, a small hint of coffee, but moves to a spicy bitter hop flavor, and ends slightly acidic with a crisp hop finish. Body was barely medium.

It just seemed very different then what I am used to in brown ales, not very sweet, very hoppy. As it warmed up the hops dominated even more and I liked it less. Not horrible though, just not what I was expecting.

2.7/5  rDev -25.4%

Thanks to davehoward for the bottle! Pours a dark brown color with ruby edges on the glass. Light tan fizzy head. Smell is toasty, semi roasty malt. Hint of chocolate and coffee round it out and a mild roastiness is present in the taste as will along with a slight sour bitterness. Very thin body I thought. Not bad, but just not impressive especially for what I was expecting.

2.7/5  rDev -25.4%

Appearance – Clear brown color with a creamy off-white head.

Aroma – Light malt and bread smell.

Palate – Medium body with light carbonation.

Flavor – Sweet malty up front that quickly diminishes to a metallic (iron like) aftertaste.

Final thoughts – Quite smooth and easy drinking. I’ve had much better brown ales.

2.72/5  rDev -24.9%

2.73/5  rDev -24.6%

Bought a bottle of this when I was in New York City and slipped it in my suitcase. The beer poured a pretty brown as described with a highly carbonated head that dwindled away quite rapidly. Overall the beer lacked taste and mouthfeel. It was missing the thicker body and taste I have come to love in brown beers. I had not had this beer for a couple of years and now I remember why. Better to me than a Budweiser but rather low in the pecking order of brown ales.

2.74/5  rDev -24.3%

Had this beer in a 12 oz bottle. Brewed in Utica(hate when they fool ya) as said on the label. Also noted that the label read that this Brown is hoppier then its British counterpart, I was dissappointed in that statement. So I moved on hoping for the best. Cracked the bottle, and got a wiff on hops over all. Pours a deep rich brown with nice head fading down the pint glass. First taste was that of hops, bitter on the back of the tongue moving to a carmel malt taste. The hops(as you can see I can't get over) seemed to overpower what I thought was going to be a great Brown. The mouth feel was lighter then that of a Brittish Brown, not one bit creamy. A little weak and dissappointing. Overall, not what I had imagined. I was looking for a great session beer, and got what seems to be a overhyped over hopped typical micro. I will pawn the rest of the case off on some company, maybe that will make them leave earlier.

Brooklyn Brown Ale from Brooklyn Brewery