Brooklyn Brown Ale - Brooklyn Brewery

good

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 06-10-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Brown Ale Alström Bros
2.17/5  rDev -40.2%

First had: on tap at Casey's, Newtown Square, PA

Mediocre at best, as mostly every brown ale I've ever tried. Poured mahogany with quickly receding whitish head. Mostly malty nose. Taste is thin, nutty and malty, watery, with a bit of sweetness. Light mouthfeel, and not very drinkable...just not my style.

Rifugium, Apr 29, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -39.4%

Bottle, best by August '06. I missed it by two days but took my chances. Poured it into a paper cup, so I missed some of the visuals, but it had a decent rust-brown color with a lingering cream-colored head. In retrospect I wish I'd poured it into something nicer (not that I had any options at the pizzeria I was in) since its appearance was the best thing about this ale. The aroma and taste were both simple and overpowering, with a huge roasted malt flavor, strong and saccharine, with caramel highlights emphasizing the cloying sweetness. There were hints of coffee, chocolate and nuts in the taste as well as a bitter punch to start off but all of those were drowned out by the caramel and malts. Fairly high carbonation smoothed it all out a bit by distracting the tongue. The aftertaste was equal parts sweet and bitter, but, again, poorly blended and overpowering. A pretty simple beer with some promise, if it could just be toned way down.

greebsnarf, Sep 02, 2006
2.23/5  rDev -38.6%

I was not impressed by this brown ale. I have had alot better. I was disapointed. This ale had very little taste and the color could have been darker. Its not an ale I would have on tap for a party when I have frieds over. I was expecting more form this ale.

morayeel, Feb 19, 2007

BGsWo22, Mar 20, 2013

cutout, Nov 21, 2012

kbrown, Nov 03, 2012

AMson, Jul 31, 2012
2.38/5  rDev -34.4%

Purchased from Gentiles market in Columbus, Ohio and served at the usual temperature in a clear pint glass. Note: my sample may have gone bad -- the bottle lists Best Before April of 2009 (reviewed on April 17 of 09).

Appearance:
Pretty good, darker than Newcastle. nice brown color, maybe even a slight ruby tinge to it. Very slight lacing on the glass.

Smell: smells much better to me than it tastes. Nice malty character, A little dark malt. Slight dough smell with coffee or chocolate character. Smooth hop aroma, especially directly after opening. Floral and spicy hop aromas. Very slight herbal / Jagermeister note. Maybe a little cascade hops.

Taste: distracting and not good. Maybe my batch went bad. I don't think it's just paper-bag type oxidation flavor I'm tasting, to me it just tastes sour. It's not bitter hoppiness, but more like just sour. Beginning taste notes of Killians style malt - then BOOM - sour taste -- then maybe a little hops. and alcohol, then more sour and bitter and some ash taste in the aftertaste. Less watery than Newcastle.

I'm having a hard time effectively rating this since it's so sour. Probably as sour as a vodka gimlet (which by the way is mostly lime juice). I just hope they didn't forget to rinse the sanitizer in the fermenter. "it tastes like burning."

Mouthfeel: sort of dry mouthfeel, especially toward the end. Like eating a sour pretzel - sort of dries you out. I would not rate the drinkability as good. I love beer, but I don't think I can have more than one or two of these. On the plus side for drinkability, it seems about as filling as water.

Would be a drainpour if it weren't 9 bucks, and if it weren't so nice looking.

scuppers, Apr 18, 2009
2.38/5  rDev -34.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass. I had my first one of these a little tipsy the other night, and it caught me as offensive which in atypical after I've had a few. I'm coming back to this brew to formally review it tonight, and it's even worse.

A - Clear, very dark dark red. Light tan head rises about three fingers. Moderate retention, and some lacing.

S - Charcoal and burnt bread, but not in an entirely bad way. Very minerally. Modest caramel sweetness is trying to push through but doesn't get very far.

T - This one of the flat-out worst tasting things I have had in quite a while. Huge burnt character hits at first and sort of devolves into a nasty mud-puddle flavor. Though this mud dominates throughout, mid palate there's a spike of something that initially reminds me of blood, and then I remember the metallic/mineral component from the nose. After the swallow, a bitterness not unlike chewing up a pill sticks to the back of my mouth, very unpleasant. Luckily it doesn't linger too long.

M - Way too much carbonation, and disgustingly thin. This brew might actually taste a little bit better if it had the chance to hang around my tastebuds for more than a few seconds.

D - No. No sir. Brooklyn has really disappointed me with this offering; glad I won't have any more staring me down in the fridge. It's not quite offensive to be a drain pour, but it is far from passable.

PatrickJR, Sep 30, 2008
2.4/5  rDev -33.9%

This was a bit of a disappointment as I had heard many positive things about this ale before buying it. The color is a pleasant dark amber, which is about the most positive thing I can say. The smell has some very faint malt and coffee, and the taste is almost indistinguishable from flat Coke. It's generally lighter than I prefer for this type of beer, and has almost no carbonation. I'll pass.

gfreed, May 22, 2008
2.4/5  rDev -33.9%

Deep brown color in glass, reddish glow when held up to a light. Tan, frothy head laces the glass nicely. Aroma is roasty malt with a hint of coffee. Taste is a bit bitter at first, followed by dry, watered down malty finish. I don’t really taste any noticeable hop notes. Mouthfeel is smooth... this beer appears and pours like it might have a bit of viscosity to it, but doesn’t deliver. It’s ok...not great.

Haus, Sep 24, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -31.7%

Poured into my GI MBA Pint Glass with a best before Feb 2008 on the bottle.

A - the color is reddish brown that reminds me of cherry wood furniture. Very clean looking as it has a bit of a sheen to it as well; i think that aspect of it is what makes me think that it looks like furniture. No head at all on this one, just a thin layer of milkiness sitting on top. with a few bubbles.

S - Smells a bit like hazelnuts to me; also there is malty sweetness within this one too. Rather fragrant but not over the top; also has a bit of a coffee roastiness imho.

T - taste is not as sweet as I would think; there is a big of the deeper, roasted nut taste that I smelled; Also, there is hoppy bitterness to me but it is different than usual; almost a bit sour actually and found that this overpowers the malt that is in the beer. Feels a bit unbalanced IMHO as really the sour taste seems to dominate; could be called dry even but not really because doesn't remind me of a dry wine because there is the persistent sour note. it is almost like the hops and the malt don't go well together as all but instead are fighting each other in some odd battle to make my mouth taste odd.

Mf- very heavily carbonated; this isn't too bad but it does seem like it goes with the hoppy aspect of this brown ale which seems to make this one a bit unique. Although do think it is a little too heavy because at some points, it seems to overpower and overwhelm my mouth so that at some points I really can't even taste anything because I am being completely bombarded with carbonation that almost numbs the tongue.

D - overall a decent brown ale but not one that is even close to blowing me away. I would probably pass on this one if I saw it again. I got it out of a Craft beer mix pack and think it is just a bit too unbalanced for my taste plus i'm kinda surprised by the sourness of the beer, A big disappointment from Brooklyn in my eyes.

jeonseh, Jan 22, 2008
2.48/5  rDev -31.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Well it poured a deep drak brown color which is what I expected. When held up to the light I did catch some red tints to it on the edges. 1 1/2 finger tannish head that dies down leaving very soapy looking lacing that slides down the glass when I drink it.

S- First thing I pick up on is the sweet malts in this beer. Next is the hints of alcohol following the sweetness. Nothing really jumps out at me. Some darker fruits in here along with apples maybe? I am trying hard to pick up something else and really can't.

T- Roasted malts come through...a little coffee taste. Watery in the end. Some chocolate notes in there as well. Nothing really good tasting though. And after reading others reviews recently I know I didn't get a bad bottle.

M- Light mouthfeel to this beer. Carbonation is a little lacking in this beer and makes it sludge through the palate onto the throat. Roasted malts left on the palate and in the aftetaste.

D- This is not really my sort of drinkable beer. I like what they are trying to do here but I do not enjoy the outcome at all.

alleykatking, Oct 14, 2009