Brooklyn East India Pale Ale - Brooklyn Brewery

good

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-14-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn East India Pale Ale Alström Bros
1.88/5  rDev -48.1%

Really ??? This is not an Ipa by any standard I'm sorry the apperance is good a amber color but the taste is literally like someone took wet leaves and fermented them and the aftertaste is a bit like a chili pepper I guess as others have said but nowhere do I get a bitter hop profile or nose. The mouthfeel was lightly carbonated as far as drinking goes by all means if someone wants a trade please feel free I won't drink this anytime soon. PLease brooklyn go back to the drawing board.

Arinthos, Mar 02, 2011
2.13/5  rDev -41.2%

Bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: Sad looking lacing on top of a amber-gold brew. Very light levels of carbonation.

Smell: Yard work, literally smells like yard work: leaves and sweet grass, maybe a bit of tea.

Taste: very low levels of bitterness for an EIPA. The IBUs on this brew must be fairly low. Weird leafy flavor, has this flavor I've tasted before in food. Seems out of place, but I can't put my finger on it; not a fan. It is almost like Brooklyn added chili peppers to accent the flavor. After almost finishing the beer... I figured it out. This tastes just like cream of mushroom soup, with leaves.

Drinkability: Why Brooklyn Brewery? Why? Dear god, why? If I had brewed this I would have thrown it out. I bought a 12 mix pack of Brooklyn's brews and luckily there is only 2 of these in the pack. It seems like Brooklyn might have added this EIPA to the pack to get rid of them. Even the mouthfeel is off.

wmtxbb, Feb 24, 2011
2.05/5  rDev -43.4%

Best by 5/11. Light copper color with a thin white head. Lots of fast moving bubbles ascending the glass. No lace but a'ight retention.

Aroma is oxidized pear and apricot (as if you leave a pear slice out to long, not that the beer itself is oxidized) like a skunky tripel. Little bit of pepper. Has an Orange Citrus Listerine alcoholic solvency that is egregiously unattractive. Needs, um hops?

Fruity green apple malt like a hop-less ESB. Has a cheap champagne dry alcohol solvent taste that makes me cringe. Fizzy.

WTF Brooklyn?

I trust Brooklyn to brew exceptional beer so this is a huge letdown. Maybe they were going for a historical IPA that is reminiscent of when it reached India, rather than prior to?

Not a fan.

donkeyrunner, Feb 06, 2011
2.05/5  rDev -43.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

A beer haiku for you:

"Unfortunate ale;
Leave this bad boy in Brooklyn!
Currently shell shocked...."

Um...not sure what just happened: this had to be a bad batch or single bottle that I picked up. Looked and smelled good: taste? Oy vey! For a world class brewer--from whom I have never had anything less than a delightful experience--this one literally "pales". If I hadn't had another of their products prior, I would boycott all Brooklyn offerings. Thankfully, that is not the case. I can not recommend this one, though, at all.

Cheers!

johnwarne, Sep 08, 2010
2.08/5  rDev -42.5%

I had out of a 12 ounce bottle.
A- Rust brown color. Clear and bubbly. Excellent bubbly head with excellent lacing.
S- Decent spice smell followed by a slight metallic scent.
T- Ugh. That just tastes too dry with no flavor except for a mild sourness. This might be skunked but it almost has an American Macro Lager taste, instead of a spicy pale ale.

Amalak, Sep 09, 2009
1.98/5  rDev -45.3%

Wow, I sure have had a lot of IPAs that are better than this. I want to like it, if for no other reason than Brooklyn brewery's reputation, but this is just NOT good.

The appearance is normal IPA color - shining & bright & golden. Everything else is downhill from here.

No blast of hops in the nose. More like yard clippings.

Biggest disappointment of this beer = the taste. Um, this is just rank. No large hop flavors. It tastes even more like grass than the smell. Not a lot of carbonation. Nasty cardboard/packing materials aftertaste coupled with a rather offensive pungent bitterness. Foul.

I have now had two very-less-than-satisfying beers from Brooklyn brewery. My opinion of them has fallen greatly, and I dont know if I really want to spend the money to drink anything else they've put out.

chOAKbarrell, Oct 06, 2005
3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

2 months past the bb date. Aroma is floral and lightly resiny, with nutty caramel malt and perfumey, herbal hops adding complexity. Flavor reveals a strong caramel malt backbone, fairly sweet, which is contrasted by moderately bitter hops at the finish. Herbal hops provide a bridge mid palate and resurface in the aftertaste. The herbal hop character isn't my favorite, and bitterness is more than I'd prefer in the finish. Malt is a bit overly sweet.

barczar, Tuesday at 03:24 AM
3.84/5  rDev +6.1%

Metamusal, Monday at 12:47 AM

CED, Friday at 07:15 PM
4.01/5  rDev +10.8%

bmoraymond, Sep 25, 2014
3.29/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a Spiegelau IPA glass.
Appearance - Clear and pale gold in color. Developed approximately a 1-1/2", off-white head that dissipated quickly.
Smell - Very mellow, floral hop notes. Biscuity malt aroma as well in the background.
Taste - As with the smell, a very mellow hop character with a balanced malt backbone. Not a ton of depth in the flavor profile.
Mouthfeel - Medium weight on the mouthfeel but refreshing.
Overall - It's a decent beer. Would prefer something with a little more complexity but I could see me reaching for one of these on a warm summer day.

M_C304, Sep 24, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Dark golden body with a foamy head.
aroma is of hops and some malt.
The taste has a little bitter hops taste and is balanced by the malt
overall it is tasty

Chief1969, Sep 23, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

killcore, Sep 20, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -24%

Looking for a freshness date after half the bottle and I can't find one. Could the hops have died down THAT much? Well where's the date?! Could this bottle be THAT old? Well, again, where's the god damn date?! I have no idea, but the hops are just not there at all. This is more malt than anything to me and I have a feeling I just have an old, old, bottle but nonetheless. This was a pretty disappointing offering from Brooklyn for me. I'll only be seeking this out again to find out if this is a truly disappointing beer or if I got a bad bottle. Bummed for sure at the moment though.

Ngntjp, Sep 16, 2014