Brooklyn East India Pale Ale - Brooklyn Brewery

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-14-1998

to view more.
Ratings: 2,193 | Reviews: 960
Reviews by RonaldTheriot:

Brooklyn East India Pale Ale has a thick, foamy, cream-colored head and a hazy, slightly bubbly orange-gold appearance, with thick lacing left behind. The aroma is of citrus (think grapefruit) and some bread, and the taste is of white wheat bread, some grapefruit, mild bitterness, and a little bit of a rank undertaste. Mouthfeel is medium and soft, and Brooklyn East India Pale Ale finishes wet, pleasant, and relatively drinkable. Overall, with its subdued hop profile, I recommend this interesting beer.

RJT

2.01/5  rDev -44.6%

Wow, I sure have had a lot of IPAs that are better than this. I want to like it, if for no other reason than Brooklyn brewery's reputation, but this is just NOT good.

The appearance is normal IPA color - shining & bright & golden. Everything else is downhill from here.

No blast of hops in the nose. More like yard clippings.

Biggest disappointment of this beer = the taste. Um, this is just rank. No large hop flavors. It tastes even more like grass than the smell. Not a lot of carbonation. Nasty cardboard/packing materials aftertaste coupled with a rather offensive pungent bitterness. Foul.

I have now had two very-less-than-satisfying beers from Brooklyn brewery. My opinion of them has fallen greatly, and I dont know if I really want to spend the money to drink anything else they've put out.

2.17/5  rDev -40.2%

Bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: Sad looking lacing on top of a amber-gold brew. Very light levels of carbonation.

Smell: Yard work, literally smells like yard work: leaves and sweet grass, maybe a bit of tea.

Taste: very low levels of bitterness for an EIPA. The IBUs on this brew must be fairly low. Weird leafy flavor, has this flavor I've tasted before in food. Seems out of place, but I can't put my finger on it; not a fan. It is almost like Brooklyn added chili peppers to accent the flavor. After almost finishing the beer... I figured it out. This tastes just like cream of mushroom soup, with leaves.

Drinkability: Why Brooklyn Brewery? Why? Dear god, why? If I had brewed this I would have thrown it out. I bought a 12 mix pack of Brooklyn's brews and luckily there is only 2 of these in the pack. It seems like Brooklyn might have added this EIPA to the pack to get rid of them. Even the mouthfeel is off.

2.11/5  rDev -41.9%

I had out of a 12 ounce bottle.
A- Rust brown color. Clear and bubbly. Excellent bubbly head with excellent lacing.
S- Decent spice smell followed by a slight metallic scent.
T- Ugh. That just tastes too dry with no flavor except for a mild sourness. This might be skunked but it almost has an American Macro Lager taste, instead of a spicy pale ale.

2.04/5  rDev -43.8%

Best by 5/11. Light copper color with a thin white head. Lots of fast moving bubbles ascending the glass. No lace but a'ight retention.

Aroma is oxidized pear and apricot (as if you leave a pear slice out to long, not that the beer itself is oxidized) like a skunky tripel. Little bit of pepper. Has an Orange Citrus Listerine alcoholic solvency that is egregiously unattractive. Needs, um hops?

Fruity green apple malt like a hop-less ESB. Has a cheap champagne dry alcohol solvent taste that makes me cringe. Fizzy.

WTF Brooklyn?

I trust Brooklyn to brew exceptional beer so this is a huge letdown. Maybe they were going for a historical IPA that is reminiscent of when it reached India, rather than prior to?

Not a fan.

1.92/5  rDev -47.1%

Really ??? This is not an Ipa by any standard I'm sorry the apperance is good a amber color but the taste is literally like someone took wet leaves and fermented them and the aftertaste is a bit like a chili pepper I guess as others have said but nowhere do I get a bitter hop profile or nose. The mouthfeel was lightly carbonated as far as drinking goes by all means if someone wants a trade please feel free I won't drink this anytime soon. PLease brooklyn go back to the drawing board.

2.15/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

A beer haiku for you:

"Unfortunate ale;
Leave this bad boy in Brooklyn!
Currently shell shocked...."

Um...not sure what just happened: this had to be a bad batch or single bottle that I picked up. Looked and smelled good: taste? Oy vey! For a world class brewer--from whom I have never had anything less than a delightful experience--this one literally "pales". If I hadn't had another of their products prior, I would boycott all Brooklyn offerings. Thankfully, that is not the case. I can not recommend this one, though, at all.

Cheers!

4.53/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I went all in with this beer, buying a half keg for the kegerator as my first taste (a bit pricey as craft beer kegs go). I must say I'm happy with my choice. A little tricky getting the foam under control in the keg, but has a nice slow pour, 2-3 finger head out of the tap, dissipates quickly though. Seeing some other reviews, I have to think it's a different experience out of the keg. Nicely balanced hoppy/floral aroma, and the taste follows suit with satisfying carbonation as well. If you have not had this out of the tap, I would recommend it.

3.58/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a medium copper color with a medium rocky head that leaves no lacing,aroma is hoppy but with a nice caramel malt background.Taste begins a little sweet but the the hoppy dryeness kicks in during mid-swallow a definent dry finish,I do like the malt backbone to this beer.This beer has a good reputation and I can see why.

3.68/5  rDev +1.4%

A: Slightly hazy orange amber. A finger off-white head. Lots of rising bubbles.

S: Typical English malty smell - sour, refreshing. Some hop but mostly caramel.

T: Lots of bready malt with a zesty hop bite. Nice sourness in the aftertaste. Pretty well hopped but well balanced compared to American IPA's.

M: Slightly resiny. Light side of medium body. Lots of carbonation livens it up. Feels refreshing, especially with the dry finish.

D: An enjoyable beer but nothing here that makes me want to re-visit. I feel like such a snob to be turning my nose up at a very solid beer but I have to say, it just didn't really stand out for me in any way.

3.6/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours clear, light golden, honey in color. Very thin head, soapy with little retention and no lacing to speak of.

S: Light citrus hops with underlying malts. I would have expected more hops from an IPA but I've been surprised by previous Brooklyn brews.

T: Citrus hops rush foremost but leave room for the light, pale malts they seem to be infused within. Getting past those initial hops allows you to taste those malts and the complexity of this brew comes forth. The finish is moderate, with a mix of early malts and then a longer linger of hops.

M&D: Mouthfeel is relatively light but has a deceptive fullness about it making it very satisfying and thirst quenching. Perhaps not quite as hoppy as I would like my IPA to be but it was enjoyable just the same and definitely worth checking out.

3.24/5  rDev -10.7%

Presentation: The Brooklyn Brewery style logo label with some waffling on about how it is their verison of an IPA.

Appearance: Golden-amber, with a thin white head.

Smell: Loads of spicy/mint hop aromas, with a casual sweetness on the backend.

Taste: Their hop use is applied more for flavour, rather than bittering. A very intruiging hop flavour to be found, and an over-puckering reaction that runs dry at the end. Very leafy, literally.

Notes: A bit overkill for this style. Makes you wonder what they think an IPA is. Seems like an over use of lower alpha hops.

3.9/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Slightly off white head with a light orange, caramel color. Head formed and disappeared rather quickly leaving a thin layer of bubbles on the top surface.

Aroma is slightly sweet with hints of citrus. There is a touch of sweet bread smell to this one. Overall this one is balanced in flavor, not overdone in the hops department and coupled well with the malts. The initial mouth splashing was a bit sharp. For the hops I picked up some grapefruit flavors, not what I was expecting from the English version of this brew. After warming a touch, the other hop flavors begin to step up a bit and are not near as citrus and lend a resin flavor to this beer, which is more along the lines of my expectations.

Mouthfeel is okay, not very oily like some IPAs and borders on the thin side of things. Drinkability is good for this brew and one of its high marks. Good hit of hops but very well balanced.

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

This was an orange colored beer with a medium white head. It had a sweet, flowery aroma. A fruity taste, peppery hops later. A nice, not too aggressive IPA.
Parenthetically, I tried this beer both in a regular pint glass and in the new Sam Adams pint glass. While this was an admittedly unblinded study, the head was bigger and lasted longer in the SA pint, and I thought the beer stayed cooler (although maybe I drank it faster).

3.97/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from the bottle a nice medium golen with a scent of perfume and hops. Little to no head retention. It kind of seemed likt it was trying... it wanted to hold onto the head, but it just could not do it... lots of lacing though. The first taste hits you with a bit of bite, nice and spicey, hoppy and peppery. Not too strong, just enough strength. Maybe not a session beer for me, but very, very yummy.

3.58/5  rDev -1.4%

gotta six pack of this stuff and put it right inside my backpack for the weekend....here we go

poured really nice had a good head deep amber color a nice hue for sure

smelled not like what i was expecting it had a real mineral smell in there some herbs too

tasted like a real gentle ipa more of maybe a strong pale ale definitely a deep caramel flavor that dominated

good nice bright mouthfeel though i liked the carbonation

overall a pretty good ipa not my favorite of the style by any means but pretty good

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Golden amber thick initial head which dissipates to the side of the glass.

The aroma is earthy reminds me of wild hops I found there are also large crystal malt aromas backing it all.

The taste starts with a malty carbonation, it builds into a mix of earthy hops and crystal malts it ends with a bitter hop flavor that lingers. It is a unique hop flavor

4.3/5  rDev +18.5%

12oz brown bottle with a freshness date.

Color: Shiny brass, impressive head.

Smell: Spicy citric hop battles the buttery component, hops prevail. Biscuity malt, ripe fruit, citric rind.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Very smooth with a semi-dry medium body. Pungent hop, faint buttery diacetyl, grassy grain and light fruity alcoholic esters. Balanced and drinkable, on the dry side.

Overall: Brewers have a deft hand on bring this beer forward with lots of flavor, balance and keeping it very drinkable. English-style ales rarely get hyped though this one is a must.

4.07/5  rDev +12.1%

12 oz bottle pours a good looking, clean, clear golden color, with an unimpressive, white head that falls quickly. Very minimal lace.
Nice aroma, highlighted by pine and citrusy hops atop a caramel malt spine.
Mouthfeel has a nice hop bite and feels medium bodied and well carbonated.
Taste is well balanced between a solid caramel malt presence, and the excellent use of hops which lend a creative, spruce pine tint to the tasty, pear and apple fruitiness.
A very fine example of an American, East Coast IPA. Alcohol is well hidden by fruity and pine hops, and a nice malt backbone. Very nice IPA.

4.1/5  rDev +12.9%

"best before date" of March 2004. This is brewed in Utica... Solid IPA, Off white head, hops in the nose. Hops dominate here, but there is some nice malty balance going on. Resin, grapefruit, floral notes characterize a respectable hop jolt, not overpowering however. A good quality drinkable brew. Another respectable job turned in by BKLYN.

3.6/5  rDev -0.8%

A very clear, rust colored beer poured into a pint glass...very thin white head w/ faint lacing.
The smell is roasted malts up front w/ a faint floral hops...nothing real exciting at this point.
Taste is what I would expect from a English IPA....very bitter and not overly hoppy.
The taste is very clean, mouthfeel not too thin and drinkability is decent.
This is one I'm glad I picked up...and would enjoy on tap, but doubt I'd be picking up any more at my local.

4.2/5  rDev +15.7%

Dated best by Mar 2011.
Pours a nice egg shell white two and half finger head of tight bubbles, this fades to a solid bubbly cap with big lacing clinging to the glass. Initially I get a big floral nose, some fruit, sweet malts, some alcohol as well but in a good way which accentuates the other smells. Tastes sweet and malty at first, some earthy hops, piney, some crystal malts, woodiness, quite nice for an english ipa. A good bit of lingering bitterness, some coating oilyness, medium bodied, medium/high carbonation. I enjoyed this one to the end, another good beer from brooklyn. $1.50 a single from whole foods bargin bin.

3.15/5  rDev -13.2%

Appearance: clear, caramel in color, minimal head, moderate carbonation

Smell: malts and small citrus hops

Taste: biscuit, bread, some citrus hops

Mouthfeel: crisp, on the sweet side for the style, slightly bitter end, medium bodied, moderate carbonation

Drinkability: This one did not have the big hop bite I was expecting. The malts can be dominating. This is not one I will likely purchase a six of. The alcohol is hidden.

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%

The beer pours an orange-amber color with a white head. The aroma is very nice. I get a ton of different hop components. Among them are orange citrus, earth, grass, pine and perfume-like hops. The flavor is not as good as the aroma, but is still pretty nice. I get a lot of toffee and caramel malt, along with some grassy and earthy hops. The beer also tastes a little bit like iced tea. As the beer warms, I get some more pine notes in the flavor. Low bitterness, medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.74/5  rDev +3%

A: Pours a nice deep orange with a decent white head that stuck around throughout the drink. There is a bit of a haze however

S: Dark fruit and spices in the nose.

T: initially spicy, followed by a subtle citrus character and then back to a spicy, sugary finish. Finishes surprisingly clean

M: Medium-light body

D: not a bad English IPA, fairly drinkable an refreshing. I won't go out of my way to have more but I'll definitely have this one again.

to view more.