2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Brooklyn East India Pale Ale - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn East India Pale AleBrooklyn East India Pale Ale

good

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-14-1998)
View: Beers (67) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn East India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,774 | Reviews: 924 | Show All Ratings:
dfillius

4.9/5  rDev +35%

Enjoyed in a pint glass in late Feb 08; bottle says enjoy by May 08.
A: Moderate pour yields 1/5 finger of white fizzy head that quickly fades to a thin ring. Crystal clear golden brown color is beautiful and has terrific luminosity. I want more head!
S: Delightful bright hop levity and nice sweet malt backbone. Hops are a great floral smelling variety!
T: So bright! A good hop start segues into great sweetness that is then followed by a drying flavor from more hops. Delicious and perfect. Definitely an English IPA as the hops are not too dominant.
M: Fizzy foam at first but not sharp. Finishes with a drying feel that makes me want another sip, then another!
D: Wowsers, even at 6.8%, it's so good! I want a whole six pack!

02-26-2008 22:31:31 | More by dfillius
nortmand

4.88/5  rDev +34.4%

Light amber pour, with some sustaining white head.

Sweet citrus notes in the nose. Caramel sweetness as well.

Blood oranges up front. Sweet maltiness carries the beer through to a pleasant bitternee at the back of the tongue.

Rounded carbonation with a medium body, a tasty offering.

04-15-2006 00:14:00 | More by nortmand
DevilDogBeer

4.85/5  rDev +33.6%

The East IPA from Brooklyn poured a copper color with a nice white head. I noticed something while pouring this beer, Chinook hops! Not visible in the beer but the smell wafted to my nose even during the pour. The taste followed the smell, a great IPA level of hop bitterness with a pleasant citrus taste most likely from the ample Chinook hops I smelled in the aroma. This beer was also very smooth but finished crisp and clean with no funny aftertastes. This one is worth a try if you are an IPA fan!

01-03-2006 01:37:32 | More by DevilDogBeer
buckiflyer

4.78/5  rDev +31.7%

Picked up a bottle from Total Wine for $1.75. Poured a nice staw clear color and average head, instant hop smell, citrus and piney. I was not disapointed, a great smooth taste with a killer hop and oak finish. The higher alcohol is hiden, this one could sneak up on me, the oak really stands out, a great ipa from Brooklyn!

10-02-2005 01:16:51 | More by buckiflyer
davidguydude

4.75/5  rDev +30.9%

you won't regret it.

a- great foamy head, that settles to a bit less than a finger. follows the glass all the way down. clear, and PALE enough for me to enjoying calling it an india PALE ale

s- malty, bit of spicy hop. could be stronger, which could be due to freshness (this store does not have very much business for craft beer, things sit there for a very long time)

t- a bit of grapefruit and pine. not too bitter, but a good strong bite, and a clean finish

m- lively at first, then smooth.

o- one of my favorites. told my shop to get more when they ran out, took them about 4 months to get more, and now i'm happy again! going to have to find clone recipes.

01-30-2014 23:48:58 | More by davidguydude
BaronRVH

4.6/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Tried this on draft in a shaker. The head was 3/4 to 1 inch.

Aroma is nice and balanced. Appearance is a pale, bright yellowish gold and very clear.

Taste is clean upfront, a nice mid-palate and a small burst of hops, some understated maltiness, citrus and bitterness. Finish is very clean with some effervescence to cleanse the palate and leaves you wanting more.

Lacing is good.

It is interesting how different fresh on-tap beer can be compared to bottled. This is a great food beer with excellent balance. It has the pop you want in an IPA without too big of a complexity. I love the DIPA's but sometimes they are too malty. Try it with burgers, fried oysters and grilled chicken.

09-30-2010 14:07:26 | More by BaronRVH
Kwak

4.58/5  rDev +26.2%

Brooklyn East India Pale Ale !
My favoret pale ale by far.
Nice apperance good head.
Very hoppy, hops ,hops, hops.
Nice amber color.
Very crisp, flavorful and bitter.

It's on my A list!

11-08-2002 22:09:48 | More by Kwak
PartyHatjo

4.55/5  rDev +25.3%

I bought this originally on a whim, and it's now one of my favorite IPAs. It pours a golden amber color, with a tall cream colored head. There is a good citrusy hop aroma. Taste is quite bready, to me, almost like a hopped up cornbread (I don't know why I taste corn when I drink this, perhaps there is flaked maize in it?). The breadiness is balanced nicely with hops to yield a tremendously smooth beer for a 7% ABV IPA. Despite the high alcohol, I found it easy to tilt back several...

01-27-2004 15:17:00 | More by PartyHatjo
Freshie

4.55/5  rDev +25.3%

It pours a nice golden amber with small head. There is very little lacing. The aroma is nice, with hints of citrus and a good deal of hops. The mouth feel is somewhat spiced but leaves a nice smooth finish. The beer is very drinkable and I often forget how much I do like it, going months with out having it. This is probably one of my favourite IPA's, very true to the tradition.

01-10-2006 02:20:47 | More by Freshie
DaggerEyes

4.55/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I'm suprised by all the sub par reviews this gets, as It may just be on of my favorite East India Pale Ales. I've had it many many times but I figure I'll finally write up a review of the pint I had at Brooklyn Fish Camp last night.

The apperance is really only a little above average. Pouring a hazy golden orange, with a finger thick foamy head. This beer is super sticky and leaves viscus and syrupy trails on the sides of the glass.

The aroma's given off by this beer are citrusy (somewhat spicy) hops with a subtle scent of bready malts. I notice the citrus most though... This is a very fragrent beer with a slightly grassy or floral quality on the nose as well

The tase it an absolute hop explosion, and the citrus flavors kick in big time here. The taste really follows suit of the what the nose leads you to believe. Starts off with the killer hops and finishes crisp and some what dry. Very floral and slightly complex. Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation...the active carbonation is a combo with the kick in the pants hop flavor.

This is one of my old stand-by's... along with Brooklyn's Lager it's the type of beer I could drink anywhere and anytime.... perhaps not the most earth shatteringly unique beer, but none the less a tasty SOLID and VERY Drinkable brew

03-25-2006 20:59:15 | More by DaggerEyes
shabbtastic

4.53/5  rDev +24.8%

Ordered it on tap and was told they were out, my wife couldn't understand why I was so upset. Anyway, pick up a sixer, it was clearly marked with freshness date which is months away! Poured very nicely into a Pilsner glass (is that okay?) Here we go:

A - Dark golden reddish, nice carbonation with very nice head retention.

S - Hoppy! - Yeah

T - Fresh up front with a nice clean hoppy finish.

M - Full, with a nice feel on the tip of the tongue.

D - Very dangerous, it went down rater quick. With the 6.75 ABV (that's what the label says) I felt the effect right away, stopped at one, just glad I have 5 more to enjoy.

I haven't been to disappointed with the Brooklyn styles, I strongly suggest checking this out, it's a true IPA for the ages!

08-13-2007 16:06:09 | More by shabbtastic
Tilley4

Tennessee

4.53/5  rDev +24.8%

I thought this was a great brew especially for the style...I think lots of folks were expecting a super hopped American IPA which this isn't... Its an English IPA...more subdued and balanced...

Pours a beautifully golden color with a smallish head... Laces beautifully...

Very nice balanced aroma of roasted malts with a noble hop presence that won't quit....not a hop monster but its not supposed to be...

Well, this is a terrific example for the style... Its definitely hop forward but not overly so... Very well crafted brew... The malts have a strong presence providing a solid backbone to the noble hops that finish with a tasty kick and leave me wanting another sip...

Very very well crafted brew here... Spot on for the style and if it weren't for the 7%, eminently drinkable..

I loved it..

10-17-2009 00:09:35 | More by Tilley4
francisweizen

Arizona

4.5/5  rDev +24%

On-Tap at the Farmhouse in Emmaus. This brew is a dark amber colour with a nice off-white head of foam to boot. The aromas are of fresh leafy hops, and bready malts. The taste follows suit. Raw and leafy up front with some nice bready malt characteristics in the middle and a very dry finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and the drinkability is pretty good as well. Damn nice stuff.

11-01-2004 23:41:13 | More by francisweizen
exonthebottle

4.5/5  rDev +24%

this beer is good if you are looking for malt but balanced easy drinking English IPA. This beer is amber with nice head and lacing a solid brew. sweet malt smell balance by hops quite pleasant goes well with food. a bit too simple but overall the complexity of the beer stands out dry but effervescent hoppy yet malt a true changer at different temperatures. can be quite dry on a hot day. Mineral water and nice smooth yeast gives a nice mouthfeel lingering and changing taste wise longer than most IPA.
Overall proving that EIPAs aren't joke and over hopping isn't just a problem with homebrews this is a beer to have a nice meal with and maybe comeback for seconds or thirds :3

04-14-2011 06:44:58 | More by exonthebottle
mmcave

4.47/5  rDev +23.1%

Sadly Bells left Chicago, but in turn we gained Brooklyn, I thought it necessary to try the new comer. Purchased at local liquor store chilled and poured into nonic. Nice reddish amber color warm and translucent looks very clean. Head is gray, it has faded and lingers a centimeter off the surface leaving lacing. Smell is a mix of fresh citrus and subtle yet light malts, very clean and refreshing, there is grapefruit, lemon and more. I really like the hop choice on this a round bold character with a sharper slightly more aggressive hop scent in the center, making for a fruity fresh hop character. Some body who reviewed this early said it was like tea with lemon and now that’s all I can think about good stuff. Taste is similar very fresh, clean and crisp, alcohol is not present in the taste either, but provides slow kind warmth, I am into it. Opens with balanced mild sweet slightly bitter crisp taste. Really mellow bitterness that makes this a really drinkable IPA could really quench a thirst.
I’d buy this again for sure.

02-08-2007 23:19:53 | More by mmcave
John

4.45/5  rDev +22.6%

A very good IPA. A solid standby in the fridge.

10-11-2001 14:29:06 | More by John
billybob

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

pours a orange amber color with a beige two finger head that held up well with a wispy light lace. fruity and pine aromas in the nose. slightly sweet fruity malt with a subdued citrus finishing with a piney hop after taste. medium mouthfeel and carbonation ok. i would buy it again.

02-19-2008 17:01:39 | More by billybob
hiikeeba

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours up amber gold with a thin tan head that dissipates slowly.

S - Piney hop aroma over a malt base

T - Slight malt flavor with a strong hop presence. Finishes with hop bitterness on the sides of my tongue. Very clean

M - Feels a little thin, but with great carbonation

D - Excellent beer. Easy to drink

11-19-2008 00:14:38 | More by hiikeeba
Riggo

Oklahoma

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

beautiful orange. the color of pekoe tea. great clarity with a nice tan head that drops to a thin collar. not much lacing.

smell is intense--orange candy, pine, lemon, mint, perhaps raisins, apricots, bubblegum, with a note of fuel.

on palette, starts off musty and earthy and a little buttery then quickly segways into bright citrus--lemons and oranges. the middle seems like it's going too bright and acidic and then there's a perfect balancing sweetness (like orange candy). finish is fruity and dry. mouthfeel is smooth and not too carbonated.

a wonderfully balanced ipa. a beautiful aroma and loads of hop flavor but with great balance. really the best of the english and american ipa tradition in one glass. i can't understand why this beer isn't rated higher. excellent. one of the best ipas i've had.

01-22-2009 01:22:08 | More by Riggo
bonbright7

4.45/5  rDev +22.6%

While I had tasted this many times before, it was last night's version on tap that wowed me as it seriously complimented the Indian Food I was having at The Curry Club of East Setauket, NY.

My local beer group descended upon the restaurant to find it empty and my pint full of the Brooklyn East IPA. It's orange and hazy colors looked unusual in my glass and the aroma of light hops really was low key compared to the usual American hop-bombs that exude only hops without much else.

The taste of oranges, apricots, and grapefruit came alive with the blonde malts as we dove into one pint after another. I must have stopped around 7 pints, but it was almost magical in its taste. It certainly subdued the spicy flavors of the platters we had.

08-05-2010 08:29:41 | More by bonbright7
ZAP

4.43/5  rDev +22%

I like this IPA...The east Kent Golding hops are evident in a big way and they are one of my favorite hop varieties..The nose is excellent...leafy juicy hops calling my name...."Zap....Zap...Zap.."the taste doesn't disappoint...a real fresh, almost sweetish hop flavor...juicy and tasty...not a hugely bitter beer, but a real fresh tasty English hop flavored IPA that slides down very easily....If you want a huge citrus flavored IPA this is not for you...but the fresh, floral, juicy, sweet hopping is wonderful....Unique and close to outstanding in my book...Malt nicely complements the hops...

02-28-2003 21:48:45 | More by ZAP
ommegangpbr

4.43/5  rDev +22%

I've got me a fresher version this time around! The place I got it from also refridgerates all its bottles so I'm sure this is in good shape.
Pours an IPA (read golden orange) color with some good lacing.
This batch of Brooklyn's EIPA is good stuff. Despite being quite true to style, this also gives lovers of American IPAs something to chew on.
Very smooth drinkin. On the sweeter side of the spectrum. Orange rind comes to mind in the flavor, maybe tangerine rind and tangerine juice. The hops are not aggressive but they are present. A very juicy IPA. There's just enough carbonation to let you know that it's beer but not so much as to make you think you just opened a Pepsi.
I'm not sure if this would be appealing to the uninitiated... but those that like a juicy IPA will enjoy this one. A quite classy example of the style.

04-06-2006 08:02:32 | More by ommegangpbr
joeack

4.43/5  rDev +22%

I really enjoy this beer. Everything about it really hits the spot. From the great copper color to the delicious hop aroma and taste. Lots of citrus come through and the spice is just right. An excellent example in my opinion and i thinkit is ver under rated versus many of the other IPA's out there.

09-22-2006 01:44:02 | More by joeack
beerogre

4.43/5  rDev +22%

My brother-in-law is visiting from New Jersey and I asked if he could get hold of some Brooklyn Monster Ale (probably my all time favourite, if my 3-years-since memory serves me correctly) and some Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.

Unfortunately, the only Brooklyn product he could get in his local beer store was the East India Pale Ale. Not quite what I was wanting, but hey it's a beer I've not tried before, so life's not all bad.

I was actually pretty impressed with this one. I've dipped my toe in the water with IPAs during the past year and it's definitely been a pleasant experience and has cultivated a growing appreciation for the style.

I must admit I was surprised to see this had an abv of 7.0%, as I would have expected it to be around 5.x or so. I like beers at this strength though, because they go down really well but have a nice "thwack" to them at the same time.

I found this beer very refreshing and highly drinkable. Mr Oliver, you Sir, are a Genius.

12-02-2006 03:12:39 | More by beerogre
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev +22%

On tap at Barleys upstairs. Poured a deep amber with a huge white frothy sticky head. Lots of lace and visible carbonation. Smell was intensly hoppy and full of resin and citrus aromas. The flavor was absolutly killer. It was like chewing on raw hops. Very sticky flavor, could almost feel the resin in your teeth. Huge pine flavors with a nice delicate sweetness that could be detected as you let the flavor settle. Overall I really thought this was fantastic, just a really great IPA and a treat. I could swear that it was dry hopped right before I had it as it was really intense in flavor and feel. I would definatly love to have this again and will be going out to get the bottles.

06-16-2007 18:21:43 | More by mikesgroove