Brooklyn East India Pale Ale - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-14-1998

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn East India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 952 | Hads: 2,257
1.92/5  rDev -47.4%

Really ??? This is not an Ipa by any standard I'm sorry the apperance is good a amber color but the taste is literally like someone took wet leaves and fermented them and the aftertaste is a bit like a chili pepper I guess as others have said but nowhere do I get a bitter hop profile or nose. The mouthfeel was lightly carbonated as far as drinking goes by all means if someone wants a trade please feel free I won't drink this anytime soon. PLease brooklyn go back to the drawing board. (488 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -44.9%

Wow, I sure have had a lot of IPAs that are better than this. I want to like it, if for no other reason than Brooklyn brewery's reputation, but this is just NOT good.

The appearance is normal IPA color - shining & bright & golden. Everything else is downhill from here.

No blast of hops in the nose. More like yard clippings.

Biggest disappointment of this beer = the taste. Um, this is just rank. No large hop flavors. It tastes even more like grass than the smell. Not a lot of carbonation. Nasty cardboard/packing materials aftertaste coupled with a rather offensive pungent bitterness. Foul.

I have now had two very-less-than-satisfying beers from Brooklyn brewery. My opinion of them has fallen greatly, and I dont know if I really want to spend the money to drink anything else they've put out. (812 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -44.1%

Best by 5/11. Light copper color with a thin white head. Lots of fast moving bubbles ascending the glass. No lace but a'ight retention.

Aroma is oxidized pear and apricot (as if you leave a pear slice out to long, not that the beer itself is oxidized) like a skunky tripel. Little bit of pepper. Has an Orange Citrus Listerine alcoholic solvency that is egregiously unattractive. Needs, um hops?

Fruity green apple malt like a hop-less ESB. Has a cheap champagne dry alcohol solvent taste that makes me cringe. Fizzy.

WTF Brooklyn?

I trust Brooklyn to brew exceptional beer so this is a huge letdown. Maybe they were going for a historical IPA that is reminiscent of when it reached India, rather than prior to?

Not a fan. (727 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -42.2%

I had out of a 12 ounce bottle.
A- Rust brown color. Clear and bubbly. Excellent bubbly head with excellent lacing.
S- Decent spice smell followed by a slight metallic scent.
T- Ugh. That just tastes too dry with no flavor except for a mild sourness. This might be skunked but it almost has an American Macro Lager taste, instead of a spicy pale ale. (350 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -41.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

A beer haiku for you:

"Unfortunate ale;
Leave this bad boy in Brooklyn!
Currently shell shocked...."

Um...not sure what just happened: this had to be a bad batch or single bottle that I picked up. Looked and smelled good: taste? Oy vey! For a world class brewer--from whom I have never had anything less than a delightful experience--this one literally "pales". If I hadn't had another of their products prior, I would boycott all Brooklyn offerings. Thankfully, that is not the case. I can not recommend this one, though, at all.

Cheers! (542 characters)

2.17/5  rDev -40.5%

Bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: Sad looking lacing on top of a amber-gold brew. Very light levels of carbonation.

Smell: Yard work, literally smells like yard work: leaves and sweet grass, maybe a bit of tea.

Taste: very low levels of bitterness for an EIPA. The IBUs on this brew must be fairly low. Weird leafy flavor, has this flavor I've tasted before in food. Seems out of place, but I can't put my finger on it; not a fan. It is almost like Brooklyn added chili peppers to accent the flavor. After almost finishing the beer... I figured it out. This tastes just like cream of mushroom soup, with leaves.

Drinkability: Why Brooklyn Brewery? Why? Dear god, why? If I had brewed this I would have thrown it out. I bought a 12 mix pack of Brooklyn's brews and luckily there is only 2 of these in the pack. It seems like Brooklyn might have added this EIPA to the pack to get rid of them. Even the mouthfeel is off. (931 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -38.6%

Aroma-hops not much else in the first wiff

Appearence-Foamy white 1 finger head/not much retention/decent golden color

Flavor-hoppy/bitter/kinda bland

Mouthfeel-Decent carbonation/bitterness fade too quick

drinkability-Easy to drink if you like it/not much flavor/leaves a bit to be desired (294 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -37.8%

Bottle poured into pint glass. Bottle date best before July 2011.

A - Nice medium amber color. Slightly hazy with some minor carbonation. Head was about finger and a half immediately after pour but only lasted about a minute.

S - Not what I expected from an IPA. Virtually no hop smell. This is my first experience with Brooklyn Brand and I'm a little worried.

T - Decent bitter/hops aftertaste but the initial taste is almost watery to me.

M - Despite my issues with the taste, it has a very smooth feel in my mouth.

O - I don't think this is a bad beer. However, it just doesn't smell or taste like an IPA to me. I doubt I would buy it again. (649 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -33.4%

Unimpressive amber color and a head that disappears far too quickly are only the start of my problems with this beer. I get hops and citrus in smelling this beer, but not to the extent I expected in a 6.9% abv IPA. So i went to drink this so called IPA, and all I got was a crisp hopless ale. Not much in the way of character in this beer, A standard IPA and nothing more. (372 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -32.6%

Poured a solid white head, pretty big bubbles. The beer is clear with a dark wheat color. The head is leaving some nice lacing as it melts down into the beer. The aroma is of sweet, slightly bitter, hops, very inviting. The taste is very sweet, it reminds me of the yellow Triaminic cough syrup. The taste is very strange, not bitter at all as I have come to expect with IPA's. The best before date is March 2004 so its not too old, maybe its too young? Brooklyn is a really good brewery and I thought I liked all of their beers, but this is just too freaky. (558 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -31.5%

Pours a somewhat murky amber with a nice white head. It leaves a decent amount of lacing down the side of the glass.

Smell is a burst of American hops with a big sweet malt profile to back it up.

Taste is dominated by pretty sweet malt and a somewhat astringent flavor. This beer is quite bitter but it is harsh and unpleasent. The hop character seems to be piney but somehow out of place. This beer feels a bit heavy in the mouth and it seems to be a bit of a struggle to put one down.

I was not impressed with this one at all. It really wasn't very good and I can't see buying it again. Not what I've come to expect from this brewery. Please reformulate this one. (671 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -31.2%

This was my first Brooklyn and if they didn't have a good reputation it would probably be my last. A decent looking beer but I just did not care for the taste at all. Very macrolike after taste to this beer, that back of the mouth foul kind of taste. Maybe I just had a bad keg or something, it was at an airport bar so you never know. Like I said, I will give Brooklyn other chances, but I would be hard pressed to return to this one. (435 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Very clear, light golden color. Really big head on it, have to tone down the agressiveness of the pour. Head a bit to rough for me, minimal lacing.

S - Mostly malty, overly grainy even going to corn. Sweet, not much else.

T - Tastes a lot how it smells, kind of a syrupy sweet, pretty bready, minimal hops.

M - Too sugary, too smooth, somehow undercarbonated.

D - I don't like this beer had had a hard time finishing the 12 oz bottle just due to the taste. (464 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -30.1%

An out of balance IPA.

Pour from the bottle leaves a good head, the color is a bit brown orange, not that good looking.

Smell is average hop alcohol IPA smell.

At first taste there is a sweetness than a smack to your head of bitterness. Like your taste bud did a complete U-turn and got whiplash. The bitterness is overwhelming, that's all I can taste. It's like chewing on a hop vine. Earthy, leafy flavors that just dominate the beer. Can't taste much of anything else.

Just another run of the mill IPA to me...no flavor only bitterness. (551 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours orangey amber with a nice white head that leaves moderate lacing. The smell is definitely hoppy, but a bit more subdued than most American IPAs. Lemony, grassy and herbal hops dominate the aroma. The flavor is quite strange. Very bitter, but the hop flavor is a flash in the pan that soon gives way to harsh, dry bitterness. What little hop flavor there is tastes like lemon grass. Not a bad flavor, but I prefer it less than either the usual American or British hop profiles. Alcohol is strangely evident even though this beer is under 7% ABV. Really not getting much malt at all, this beer seems buried in bittering hops. Very dry finish and a body that is on the light side of medium. It would be fairly drinkable if not for the fact that it really does not taste that great. Pretty disappointing coming from such a renowned brewery. (842 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -29.9%

Served from the bottle in a tapered chalice.

Pours like a classic IPA with a burst of hoppy scent and a one-finger head. Despite the 6.8% ABV there's very little alcohol on the nose, mostly hops and citrus. The hops carry over into the first taste, but the citrus notes quickly give way to a sweet-n-sour flavor combo that conspires with an overly bubbly mouthfeel to derail the beer. The strong sour flavors probably help mask the alcohol.

I'm a fan of sour beers, however, so for me it's certainly drinkable, just not as rewarding as most other IPAs I've had. It's also cheaper in the NYC area by about $2 a six-pack, so it's not a bad choice if you're looking for a hop fix. (679 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -29.6%

Appearance: Crystal clear and bubbly pale golden-amber body. Pours a rather large and bubbly white head that quickly melts into a solid finger, leaving good lacing all the way down.

Aroma: Sweet caramel malt with some clean, floral, and perfumey hops and some sweet fruit. A few notes of apple cider. It's all pleasant enough, but as this is an IPA, I was expecting a lot more from the hops.

Taste: Grassy and bitter (not a normal hop bitterness) with a weird metallic taste. There's a solid lightly roasted malt backbone that tends to overshadow the hops, which is odd for an IPA. The alcohol is always present, I'd like to see it hidden a little better. To be frank, this is a confusing beer.

Mouthfeel: A solid medium body with moderately-high carbonation.

Drinkability: This would be quite sessionable, if it weren't for the alcohol being so prominent.

Verdict: Seems much more like an English Pale Ale, than an English IPA, to me. Even then, there are a lot of problems with this beer. (995 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -28.8%

Pours a darker golden color with not much of a head. The smell is a little weak with the potency of about a Budweiser which is not potent. Taste? Not impressed. Has a bit of an aftertaste and is not well in going down. Has 7% alcohol which is the only plus. Verdict: Buy another beer. (284 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -27.9%

Very carbonated, very citrus/floral, sweet and tart with a thin mouthfeel, and light on the hops. Easy to drink and refreshing but not a lot going on here. I prefer IPAs that pack more of a hop punch and/or have a more complex taste profile. I love Brooklyn Brewery but this beer is definitely not a classic, like Brooklyn Lager, or particularly flavorful/interesting, like Local 1 and 2 or Brooklyn Blast. (406 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -27.9%

As IPAs go, this one is pretty weak, at least for my taste. A thin bubbly head sits on top of a coppery, thin-bodied beer that smells hoppy but tastes pretty flat. Aside from a little orange up front, there's not much flavor of any kind. Weakly carbonated, very little bitterness. I keep hearing good things about Brooklyn Brewery but I have yet to try anything that impresses. (377 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -26.6%

Really sweet, upfront barley sweetness, with a very hoppy aromatic finish. I got vanilla, pine and citrus as the main flavours, a bit sticky and sweet. Metallic bitter finish, the mouthfeel was a bit thin aswell, surprisingly. Nothing close to what had expected, but not a total loss. (284 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -26.6%

Cloudly, with a nice red/orange tint to it. Served to me with almost no head.

Smelled quite hoppy, but with a very light fruit scent as well.

At first sip, there was a sharp, bitter, clean taste. Enjoyed the aftertaste, which was bitter with a touch of sweetness. Average mouthfeel.

I very much enjoyed the first half of the beer. But strangly, by the second half, I was really done with it. By the time I was done, the beer came off as too bitter. The first sip is better than the last, not a good sign for a beer in my book. (536 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle poured into my goblet. I was expecting big things from this beer and I felt very let down.

Decent appearance - faint orange body with nice lacing that reminds you of all the bitter sips you took.

Smells very fruity and sweet.

The bitterness coming from this beer seems to be off. It doesn't seem to come from the hops - it's almost a citrus bitterness that is unbearable. I love hoppy bitterness but that is not what I'm getting from this beer.

This beer made my taste buds run away.

I couldn't have more than one of these. (542 characters)

Reviewed from notes

Appearance: light amber with a 1½ finger off white head

Smell: grassy, earthy, malts, mild floral hops

Taste: malts melded well with floral hops, bitter/dry finish, but does not linger

Mouthfeel: mild carbonation, well balanced

Drinkability: lighter than expected, not bad, but the dryness at the backend is off-putting

Cheers!
The CPJ (362 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a light orange-gold color with slight haze. Head is fairly thick, with a good mixture of different sized bubbles. On the nose were aromas of citrus, then a fairly herbal punch and overall very earthy. Ever smell raw EKG hop pellets?, it reminded me of that.

Taste is initially malty sweet, somewhat honeyed malt, very fruity (peach), lightly toasted grains, very clean malt. Strong mid pallette shows some more of the herbal hop character, a pretty strong alcohol taste and a real zesty kick Finishes smooth and a bit creamy, tingling bitterness, slightly drying with a clean and slightly hoppy. Hops use in this ale is strange. Kind of a rough, leafy effect that I thinks hurts the brew in the long run Overall - I don't know what it is about this beer that I don't like. It may be what I detect as an intense earthiness that puts me off. Not sure how to describe it. It's probably the only beer I have ever had where I seem to like its component parts better then the beer as a whole. Sounds weird? It is. I don't get it either. (1,039 characters)

Brooklyn East India Pale Ale from Brooklyn Brewery