Brooklyn East India Pale Ale - Brooklyn Brewery

good

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-14-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn East India Pale Ale Alström Bros

phishinNYC, Jul 23, 2012

BeerBabe247, Nov 01, 2013

garyford, Feb 15, 2012
1.88/5  rDev -48.1%

Really ??? This is not an Ipa by any standard I'm sorry the apperance is good a amber color but the taste is literally like someone took wet leaves and fermented them and the aftertaste is a bit like a chili pepper I guess as others have said but nowhere do I get a bitter hop profile or nose. The mouthfeel was lightly carbonated as far as drinking goes by all means if someone wants a trade please feel free I won't drink this anytime soon. PLease brooklyn go back to the drawing board.

Arinthos, Mar 02, 2011
1.98/5  rDev -45.3%

Wow, I sure have had a lot of IPAs that are better than this. I want to like it, if for no other reason than Brooklyn brewery's reputation, but this is just NOT good.

The appearance is normal IPA color - shining & bright & golden. Everything else is downhill from here.

No blast of hops in the nose. More like yard clippings.

Biggest disappointment of this beer = the taste. Um, this is just rank. No large hop flavors. It tastes even more like grass than the smell. Not a lot of carbonation. Nasty cardboard/packing materials aftertaste coupled with a rather offensive pungent bitterness. Foul.

I have now had two very-less-than-satisfying beers from Brooklyn brewery. My opinion of them has fallen greatly, and I dont know if I really want to spend the money to drink anything else they've put out.

chOAKbarrell, Oct 06, 2005

JayKay412, Jul 30, 2012

Kyrojack, Nov 09, 2012

foulhooked, Nov 30, 2011
2.05/5  rDev -43.4%

Best by 5/11. Light copper color with a thin white head. Lots of fast moving bubbles ascending the glass. No lace but a'ight retention.

Aroma is oxidized pear and apricot (as if you leave a pear slice out to long, not that the beer itself is oxidized) like a skunky tripel. Little bit of pepper. Has an Orange Citrus Listerine alcoholic solvency that is egregiously unattractive. Needs, um hops?

Fruity green apple malt like a hop-less ESB. Has a cheap champagne dry alcohol solvent taste that makes me cringe. Fizzy.

WTF Brooklyn?

I trust Brooklyn to brew exceptional beer so this is a huge letdown. Maybe they were going for a historical IPA that is reminiscent of when it reached India, rather than prior to?

Not a fan.

donkeyrunner, Feb 06, 2011
2.05/5  rDev -43.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

A beer haiku for you:

"Unfortunate ale;
Leave this bad boy in Brooklyn!
Currently shell shocked...."

Um...not sure what just happened: this had to be a bad batch or single bottle that I picked up. Looked and smelled good: taste? Oy vey! For a world class brewer--from whom I have never had anything less than a delightful experience--this one literally "pales". If I hadn't had another of their products prior, I would boycott all Brooklyn offerings. Thankfully, that is not the case. I can not recommend this one, though, at all.

Cheers!

johnwarne, Sep 08, 2010
2.08/5  rDev -42.5%

I had out of a 12 ounce bottle.
A- Rust brown color. Clear and bubbly. Excellent bubbly head with excellent lacing.
S- Decent spice smell followed by a slight metallic scent.
T- Ugh. That just tastes too dry with no flavor except for a mild sourness. This might be skunked but it almost has an American Macro Lager taste, instead of a spicy pale ale.

Amalak, Sep 09, 2009
2.13/5  rDev -41.2%

Bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: Sad looking lacing on top of a amber-gold brew. Very light levels of carbonation.

Smell: Yard work, literally smells like yard work: leaves and sweet grass, maybe a bit of tea.

Taste: very low levels of bitterness for an EIPA. The IBUs on this brew must be fairly low. Weird leafy flavor, has this flavor I've tasted before in food. Seems out of place, but I can't put my finger on it; not a fan. It is almost like Brooklyn added chili peppers to accent the flavor. After almost finishing the beer... I figured it out. This tastes just like cream of mushroom soup, with leaves.

Drinkability: Why Brooklyn Brewery? Why? Dear god, why? If I had brewed this I would have thrown it out. I bought a 12 mix pack of Brooklyn's brews and luckily there is only 2 of these in the pack. It seems like Brooklyn might have added this EIPA to the pack to get rid of them. Even the mouthfeel is off.

wmtxbb, Feb 24, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -39.2%

Aroma-hops not much else in the first wiff

Appearence-Foamy white 1 finger head/not much retention/decent golden color

Flavor-hoppy/bitter/kinda bland

Mouthfeel-Decent carbonation/bitterness fade too quick

drinkability-Easy to drink if you like it/not much flavor/leaves a bit to be desired

BeerDawg1, Feb 18, 2010

MaevaS, Apr 18, 2014

johnnydicfore, Mar 05, 2013

BGsWo22, Mar 20, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -37.8%

Bottle poured into pint glass. Bottle date best before July 2011.

A - Nice medium amber color. Slightly hazy with some minor carbonation. Head was about finger and a half immediately after pour but only lasted about a minute.

S - Not what I expected from an IPA. Virtually no hop smell. This is my first experience with Brooklyn Brand and I'm a little worried.

T - Decent bitter/hops aftertaste but the initial taste is almost watery to me.

M - Despite my issues with the taste, it has a very smooth feel in my mouth.

O - I don't think this is a bad beer. However, it just doesn't smell or taste like an IPA to me. I doubt I would buy it again.

CrumpledFish, Mar 19, 2011

Miggy, Jul 21, 2014
2.4/5  rDev -33.7%

Poured a solid white head, pretty big bubbles. The beer is clear with a dark wheat color. The head is leaving some nice lacing as it melts down into the beer. The aroma is of sweet, slightly bitter, hops, very inviting. The taste is very sweet, it reminds me of the yellow Triaminic cough syrup. The taste is very strange, not bitter at all as I have come to expect with IPA's. The best before date is March 2004 so its not too old, maybe its too young? Brooklyn is a really good brewery and I thought I liked all of their beers, but this is just too freaky.

HappyHourHero, Oct 30, 2003
2.42/5  rDev -33.1%

Unimpressive amber color and a head that disappears far too quickly are only the start of my problems with this beer. I get hops and citrus in smelling this beer, but not to the extent I expected in a 6.9% abv IPA. So i went to drink this so called IPA, and all I got was a crisp hopless ale. Not much in the way of character in this beer, A standard IPA and nothing more.

rodney45, Mar 17, 2009