Brooklyn East India Pale Ale - Brooklyn Brewery

good

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-14-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn East India Pale Ale Alström Bros
JoEBoBpr

Missouri

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Poured a darker gold/light copper color with a .5 in head that was white and didn't last long.

S - Flowery and citrusy hops with some bread notes and malt sweetness initially with some nutty tones as well. The hop aroma is not to overwhelming but it's definitely there.

T - A lot of hop flavor initially with some sharp citrus tones and some bread tones in the middle as well as malt sweetness. The bitterness leaves a little to be desired though, as there is very little. Very floral flavor with some grapefruit hints as well. As it warms though I cant get over the fact that it has low bitterness even though the taste is good. I also hint some sweet fruits in the taste.

M - Very balanced, light-medium bodied. Refreshing and crisp.

D - High, very drinkable and refreshing.

05-27-2009 01:39:11 | More by JoEBoBpr
OnThenIn

3.8/5  rDev +5%

Appearance: A finger of head of off white head. The beer is a nice amber yellow color.

Smell: A great deal of citrus in the nose that is complemented with a sweet malt smell.

Taste: The taste is very similar to the smell. This is a pretty well balanced beer that ends with a bitter hop flavor. There is a bit of pine flavor in this beer.

Mouthfeel: A medium body with a good amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: overall this is a pretty good beer. The appearance didn't completely win me over, but it seems like a decent beer.

05-25-2009 21:02:42 | More by OnThenIn
argock

Served on-tap in a clear pint glass.

A: Orange-amber hue with 2-3 finger head from my friend's kegerator. Great retention and lacing.

S: Piney with pretty substantial [pale malt backbone as well.

T: Easy to enjoy but better with warming. Initial pine hops assault is more complex with time. Pale malt lose the balance battle handily but still provide a good counterpoint. Hops bite is a bit astringent and alcohol is detectable.

M: Coating and oily with medium-high carbonation for the style (low-medium overall). Aftertaste is piney.

D: Good IPA with on-tap freshness that improves after a bit of warming. Nothing earth-shaking but a good crossover IPA.

05-25-2009 04:29:56 | More by argock
deaconoflove

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

Ap. Nice amber with no head to speak of. Love the columns of bubbles.
Sm. Strong citris, orange, grapefruit
Ta. Strong grapefruit flavor, very tart with good bitter finish.
Mf. Nothing too distinctive, good and bitter.
Dr. Yes, I could do a couple of these, but I only bought one. Hmmm. I've found another friend.

05-23-2009 00:02:36 | More by deaconoflove
endincolorado

3.43/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance- Deep gold-amber with off white head. Decent lace.

Smell- Crisp malt. Light fruit and citrus. Nice, light maltiness to balance bitter hops.

Taste- Strong, crisp citrus-hop flavor. Some crisp, grainy malt. Comes together fairly well.

Mouthfeel- Medium body. Lots of carbonation.

Drinkability- Light and refreshing-- good.

05-21-2009 20:46:12 | More by endincolorado
aerozeppl

4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

On cask at Mahars.

A: A touch darker than the normal version. A medium copper color with those nice cask bubbles. A touch of lacing.

S: Much hoppier than the bottled or draft version. While I was drinking it I thought that it was dry hopped.

T: Much better than any other version of this beer I have had. It was really bitter. Tons of other flavors though. Nice malt backbone.

M: Very delicate cask carbonation.

D: By far the best version of this beer I have ever had. If they did something different to the cask version they should do it all the time.

05-19-2009 22:10:42 | More by aerozeppl
hwwty4

Missouri

2.98/5  rDev -17.7%

Thanks to baconisaveggie for this one.

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Tripel Karmeliet tulip. This beer pours a caramel-y amber with a decent rocky, white, 2 inch head that left absolutely no lacing. This has to have the worst head and retention of any IPA I have had. This is shocking to me. Garret Oliver makes beautiful beers, and this is anything but. The aroma is sweet with just a hint of hops. Caramel malts drown out most of the floral hop aroma leaving it just at the end of the nose. The flavor follows suit. The hop presence is very subtle reminding me almost of a amber ale rather then a English IPA. The hops are almost non existent. Just a mild floral and grassy spice from the hops are present. The mouthfeel is light for how sweet the body and nose are. This would be a easily sessionable beer for someone getting into the style. This beer really reminds me of an American version of Keith's IPA.

05-13-2009 02:31:09 | More by hwwty4
kels

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint.

Appearance: Pours a hazy apricot with a 2-finger thick frothy head that retains at 1 finger and leaves behind huge amounts of sticky lacing.

Smell: The nose is full of sweeter malt presence that I can best described as "cooked." It has a characteristic that makes it seem like it was just cooked down in a pot that detracts somewhat from the crisp or bitter characteristics that I'm used to from hops in a beer. Floral, slightly citrus fragrance comes through with very little bitterness.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The cooked hop presence comes out again, and the malts present as gooey. It's almost as if this beer is overcooked. It doesn't make it taste bad; it just weighs it down to an extent. Fragrant hops actually taste fragrant, with very little bitterness or stickiness. Reminds me more of an ESB. Nice, moderately creamy yet light feel.

Drinkability: Pretty high - no heat deteted and mild flavors in a decent balance make it a solid option. I'd probably opt for American IPAs over English IPAs in the long run though.

04-30-2009 12:57:44 | More by kels
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

2.73/5  rDev -24.6%

The second IPA of my Pale Ale day, this is the only American beer in the selection I'm reviewing.

A brown 12 oz bottle with a freshness date almost due (by May 09). Poured into a 'La Chouffe' stemmed tulip, which is my current favourite tasting glass.

Orange/light amber sparkling body, loads of large bubbles which rise up to a weak white head. The head soon turned into a thin collar. The body is almost cloudy, it isn't crystal clear, but it isn't hazy either, just a shade misty.

A hoppy nose at first, then it peters out somewhat to leave a bittersweet, dry aroma of wood chippings.

The taste is all hops, which made it a little too dry for me. The alcohol is very evident, which takes away some of the enjoyment also. It is fairly true to style (I think), we in the UK rarely produce such hoppy beers anymore.

Not balanced enough for me, I warmed to the taste as I drank my way down the glass, but the alcohol wasn't needed in my eyes.

Would I have another? Yes, but I'd try something else first!

04-27-2009 14:20:49 | More by BlackHaddock
Thorpe429

3.28/5  rDev -9.4%

A: Gold/amber color with a decent white head.

S: Some mild hops and a decent malt base. Slightly sweet.

T: Very mild hops. Too mild even for an EIPA.

M: Light to medium body. Decent carbonation.

D: Nothing particularly great about it, but nothing particularly bad either. It's decent.

04-24-2009 05:43:30 | More by Thorpe429
cavedave

3.05/5  rDev -15.7%

The color is lifeless orange. I like Brooklyn Beer, I want to like this. The head is a weak and quickly fading bland beige.

Aroma is somewhat metallic, but otherwise pleasantly herbal orange peel floral, a bit weak, but quite balanced.

The taste is full of bold flavor that somehow doesn't quite click. I really want to like this, but it is out of balance. I can taste all the elements, bready malt, grapefruit/orange/citus peel, bitter floral herbosity, but they don't come together. It is a long finish, but not the wow I was hoping.

Mouthfeel is good, probably best thing about this beer. Could have a bit more carbonation.

Drinkability is o'kay. Found myself craving a beer that was more alive in this style, but this would be good on a hot day in summer, perhaps..

04-18-2009 22:49:12 | More by cavedave
atpben

3.63/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured into my Victory pint glass. Pours a nice golden red color with a nice one inch thick head. Very citrusy in the aroma. Taste has a cruspy medium carbonation with tastes of light peach and mostly grapefruit, with a nice hoppy finish. Paired very nicely with chicken Biryani , an Indian baked rice dish. I love the the fact that it pairs well with Indian food, second best after Samuel Smiths India Ale.

04-18-2009 02:29:03 | More by atpben
aschwab

3.3/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from bottle into a glass. Looked brownish in color, standard for an IPA. It smelt decent, like any other IPA. At first, I enjoyed the taste, but then it seemed to have a copperish aftertaste. The more I drank of it, the more I did not like the aftertaste of it. It had a good initial taste though.

Overall, it was not my favorite IPA but I could drink it if it over other IPAs....

04-17-2009 23:13:52 | More by aschwab
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

355ml bottle, on the patio at the Sugar Bowl.

This beer pours a slightly hazy medium golden yellow hue, with two fingers of puffy, densely foamy, and somewhat caked off-white head, which leaves some decent layered streaky lace around the glass as it evenly subsides.

It smells of sweet floral hops, bitter orange and white grapefruit citrus, and bready caramel malt. The taste is semi-sweet grainy, bready, and moderately biscuity English malt, earthy, fruity, and floral hops, some soft hay and wet grass notes, and a touch of warming alcohol.

The carbonation is quite laid back, just a wee frothiness here and there, the body a decent medium weight, and a bit edgy in its plain smoothness. It finishes mostly dry, the graininess of the malt predominating amongst a lingering perfumed floral bitterness.

A very easy to drink old-world version of the style, as it seems like more of a bitter pale ale by Yankee standards. Anyways, flavourful, and nicely warming, as that near 7 points of booze starts to creep up on you.

04-15-2009 21:54:18 | More by biboergosum
DNICE555

Connecticut

2.65/5  rDev -26.8%

12 oz bottle poured into my goblet. I was expecting big things from this beer and I felt very let down.

Decent appearance - faint orange body with nice lacing that reminds you of all the bitter sips you took.

Smells very fruity and sweet.

The bitterness coming from this beer seems to be off. It doesn't seem to come from the hops - it's almost a citrus bitterness that is unbearable. I love hoppy bitterness but that is not what I'm getting from this beer.

This beer made my taste buds run away.

I couldn't have more than one of these.

04-13-2009 17:15:43 | More by DNICE555
LauraAlberts

South Carolina

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance: Light Amber hue with yellow and orange colors present

Smell: Orange Zest, Lemon Citrus, overripe lemon lime, grapefruit

Taste: Sour Citrus, with hoppy flavor, grapefruit

Mouthfeel: Sauvignon Blanc of Beer tannins on side of tongue - dry finish

Drinkability: Thin, watery makes it possible to session - it's very drinkable

04-13-2009 16:39:38 | More by LauraAlberts
Andreji

Colombia

3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

The East india pale ale offer by Brooklyn is decent, but far less than many others they offer.

pour is red copperish with nul head. seems flat, but it's carbonated inside. smell is interesting, with a metallic, hoppy smell which seems rather dry.

taste is half sweet, half metallic sort of resembling a whiskey-ish flavour to it. slight bitter finish, medium bodied with a fair amount of fizzyness while drank.

it's a decent offering, worth a try.

04-11-2009 15:58:39 | More by Andreji
BARFLYB

3.45/5  rDev -4.7%

Single bottle into a pint glass.

A- Brooklyn's EIPA is a hazy golden color with spots of bronze in between. The liquid was topped with a dense cap of white foam that never broke a 1/2 inch. Some spotty lacing tries to stick.

S- A mild aroma nothing to powerful. Getting alot of english malt with just a sense of bittering hops. These hops give of a very mild citrus aroma.

T- I first get a blast of the english malts used giving off some bread as well as some yeast. Under all of that I struggle to get a hop punch but they are there in spirit, but are losing the battle. This reminds me more of a pale ale. Getting some spice and grain in the finish.

M- Two steps below medium bodied with an a nice carbonation feel. Some oily texture with a great smoothness to it. Just a small bite from the hops but nothing that kills any senses. The feel is IMO this beers best quality.

D- I enjoyed it, but in a ever expanding market this will might get overlooked by myself. This may go over well at a party so a case would be good for that. Freshness is key so a very fresh bottle may change my opinion.

04-06-2009 05:20:38 | More by BARFLYB
rugerj

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

Beer poured a straw yellow color with a 1 finger head that disapated quickly. Smell is almost all hops with a touch of sweet malt, nice floral character. Tastes of nicely blended hops that finshes slightly sweet. Blance was very good.

Overall beer is solid, however nothing really stands out that would set it appart from other IPAs.

04-01-2009 19:24:50 | More by rugerj
SwiftyMcBeer

Indiana

2.45/5  rDev -32.3%

This was my first Brooklyn and if they didn't have a good reputation it would probably be my last. A decent looking beer but I just did not care for the taste at all. Very macrolike after taste to this beer, that back of the mouth foul kind of taste. Maybe I just had a bad keg or something, it was at an airport bar so you never know. Like I said, I will give Brooklyn other chances, but I would be hard pressed to return to this one.

03-28-2009 00:36:41 | More by SwiftyMcBeer
aibkstaff

4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

Brooklyn's East India pours a lovely clear coopery color with little head. The smell is very hopy and spicy. If hops had blood i think it would taste like this beer. It's very hopy bitter irony almost gamey. The body isnt too heavy and not too light. The mouthfeel is fine and the drinkabilty is great.

03-27-2009 21:36:06 | More by aibkstaff
adamette

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

Poured from a standard 12 oz. bottle into my Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale clean, clear glass. Best buy indication says that it is best by the date printed on the bottle. I studied the bottle for 2 minutes and found no such date.

A Dissapointingly thin looking light brown, caramel and translucent body under a very brief 2 mm head (lasted 15 seconds) which dissipated into the thinnest of single lines around the top of the beer. I really tried to get a head on this one after initial indications were that the head would be thin. This is less than average for the style.

S Some hops and malt. About average for the style.

T A basic IPA taste with hops to the nose and the initial taste with the backdrop of some malt but all of this is a bit weak in this beer.

M Thin to moderate. The hops presence and malt, albeit weak, beef this beer up a bit. It is appropriate to the style but nothing special.

D Good I suppose but I am not going to seek this one out again.

03-26-2009 01:24:04 | More by adamette
wiseguy142

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a nice Oktoberfest orange with a tream of bubbles coming straight from the middle of my chalice glass to create a super white, although thin head on top.

Aroma is very sweet of juicy hops followed by a nice biscuity malt presence.

Taste is OK... falls somewhere in the "above average microbrew" category. I love English IPAs and good examples are hard to find but I think this actually is too malty (this is odd for me to say since I usually criticize things for excessive hops). It needs just a little more bite and a lot more flowery hop flavor for it to really hit it for me. A good example of the style though, with a lot of flavor and great drinkability. This seems like the kind of beer that people should be drinking every time they go out instead of Coors Light or whatever. A perfect, nothing fancy, great beer.

03-25-2009 06:37:27 | More by wiseguy142
smibroncos

3.43/5  rDev -5.2%

A. Poured a cloudy reddish yellow with a minimal head. Slight lacing on the glass.

S. Hopps, citrus,lemongrass

T. Good lasting bitterness, lightly sweet, slightly fruity.

M. Full boddied, lightly carbonated. Slightly dry.

D. A good IPA good hop aroma and lasting bitterness, makes this beer one I could enjoy over and over again. Refreshing.

03-24-2009 00:07:02 | More by smibroncos
rodney45

2.42/5  rDev -33.1%

Unimpressive amber color and a head that disappears far too quickly are only the start of my problems with this beer. I get hops and citrus in smelling this beer, but not to the extent I expected in a 6.9% abv IPA. So i went to drink this so called IPA, and all I got was a crisp hopless ale. Not much in the way of character in this beer, A standard IPA and nothing more.

03-17-2009 03:39:39 | More by rodney45