Brooklyn East India Pale Ale - Brooklyn Brewery

good

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-14-1998)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn East India Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

12oz bottle poured into 400ml dab glass on sept25 2009

A Crystal clear copper with a decent thumb width of head with fair retention but no lace.

S Some caramel with a little pine, grapefruit and some booze

T As it smells but even more booze, the liquor is not very well concealed for only 6.9%

M Not as thick as I hoped but the mild carbonation seemed too help its cause

D Good but not amazing

This beer is not a bad one but I've had better beers from Brooklyn and for the price I might pick up black chocolate stout beside it on the shelf

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle in Sam Adams glass
best before Oct 2009

A: Copper color with a little haze. Poured with a thick off-white head that quickly dropped leaving a bit of lace.
S: Floral hops and english yeast fruitiness, no grain characteristics.
T: Earthy hops, a little bit of graininess, english yeast, a little sweetness.
M: Crisp, oiliness from hops, high/tingly carbonation.
D: A nice english IPA, easy to drink and a good change from american IPAs. I would happily drink this again, but I don't know if I would buy again. Worth trying.

2.08/5  rDev -42.5%

I had out of a 12 ounce bottle.
A- Rust brown color. Clear and bubbly. Excellent bubbly head with excellent lacing.
S- Decent spice smell followed by a slight metallic scent.
T- Ugh. That just tastes too dry with no flavor except for a mild sourness. This might be skunked but it almost has an American Macro Lager taste, instead of a spicy pale ale.

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Slightly hazy orange amber. A finger off-white head. Lots of rising bubbles.

S: Typical English malty smell - sour, refreshing. Some hop but mostly caramel.

T: Lots of bready malt with a zesty hop bite. Nice sourness in the aftertaste. Pretty well hopped but well balanced compared to American IPA's.

M: Slightly resiny. Light side of medium body. Lots of carbonation livens it up. Feels refreshing, especially with the dry finish.

D: An enjoyable beer but nothing here that makes me want to re-visit. I feel like such a snob to be turning my nose up at a very solid beer but I have to say, it just didn't really stand out for me in any way.

3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured a little dark for an IPA, a medium amber. The beer had a moderate head that quickly receded to a collar. The aroma was sweetish, not citrus. The taste was more malty that hoppy too, though they were both there. Feel is clean, medium bodied with medium carbonation. The drinkability is good. I liked it.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint.

A - Slightly hazy orange color. The pour produced a thich head of white foam and nice layers of foamy lacing.

S - Malty and slightly spicy. Nice flowery aroma.

T - Buttery with a perfumy hop finish.

MF&D - Crisp and easy to drink.

3.38/5  rDev -6.6%

Very clear, copper color. Big, off white head that dissipates fairly quickly and leaves behind some lacing. Smells mainly of malts, slight sweetness, and a touch of citrus. Balanced taste. Nice malty sweetness up front, and bitter bite at the end. There's some spice in there, but I'm not sure what. Medium bodied, fairly smooth, nice carbonation, no hint of alcohol. Pretty drinkable beer, nothing about this beer diminishes the drinkability for me, though I don't know if I'll be seeking it out in the future.

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%

A - Your typical copper body...pretty transparent...under a finger of white head forms even after an aggressive pour...minimal lacing

S - Well balanced aromas...caramel malts and earthy hops

T - The taste leans more towards the malty side...a very strong malt presence that lends itself to an English IPA...the hops are bitter but it's not a good bitter...the malts again take over and help out that "bad" taste...an alcohol flavor is coming through as well

M - Medium bodied...crisp but a lingering alcohol taste and bad lingering bitterness

D - The sweet malts are there following the style...but I prefer my IPA's more on the hoppier side...a decent beer just not a go to one for me

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

I poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my SA pint glass. It pours a clear copper with a moderate white head. The arom a is a bit grassy. The flavor foliows with a dry, slightly bitter finish. The brew is medium bodied and has a slightly higher than average carbonation. The beer is a bit of a sipper, this would not be my first IPA choice, but not a bad brew.

3.2/5  rDev -11.6%

A- It's a orange/copper color with a one finger white head. While I liked the color, the head cleared off quicker than I would have liked.

S- I enjoyed the smell as I noticed hops at first and then picked up some sweet, caramel malts. This definitely is not the West Coast IPA's that I typically go for, but I liked the balance.

T- I was a little shocked about how malty this beer was. I knew that it wouldn't be as hoppy as the beers I was used to, but it was less though than I imagined. It started off somewhat bitter and overly carbonated. I taste some mild hops in the middle but not too much. The finish is mostly sweet and malty.

M- Nothing to significant here. It was a little thin compared to other IPA's I've had but nothing terrible. Pretty average.

D- Since it is not very hoppy or bitter, it comes across as drinkable. However, it's not what I was expecting out of an IPA. The hops were almost nonexistant in my opinion and it seemed more like an ESB than an IPA. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it's not an IPA I'll turn to again.

3.05/5  rDev -15.7%

Pours a clear copper/amber with a thin white head. I'm getting a very small amount of lacing that sticks around the circle of beer as it goes down the glass. Not sticking to the sides of the glass, but it's there.

Smell is interesting blend of some spiciness that I can't put my finger on. There's a bit of a strange bitter aftertaste that I'm not fond of. There's not a lot of bitter hops in the taste, which makes for an interesting beer, but not what I expected. I'm halfway through the bottle, and I'm getting some flavors that remind me of some handpump beers I had while in England. Mint flavors, maybe?

The mouthfeel seems a little off here. There's a kind of astringency to it - maybe it's the alcohol which isn't present in the taste. I would like it to be more creamy to fit the English IPA style.

Overall, I'm not a huge fan, but it's growing on me as the taste sets into my palate. If given the chance, I'd like to try it on cask to see if that maximizes the flavors.

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

Brooklyn East India Pale Ale is a clear light amber ale with a thick, dense white head that shows outstanding retention and lacing. It has a strong hoppy aroma. It's kind of medicinal smelling. It has a lively medium body that's pretty smooth with a slightly chalky finish. It's pretty well balanced between sweet and dry. It has a green bitterness. There's nothing too stand-out here. It kind of reminds me of Ballard Bitter. (Old school!) This one was past its "best before" date.

East India Pale Ale from Brooklyn Brewery is a great looking beer in it's own right. The taste is of malts and citrus with a mellow flowery presence. I must be careful not judge this beer by my American IPA standards. This beer is certainly English in style and that must be taken into consideration. In this regard, I must say that this beer is very satisfying. I could get in trouble drinking several of these because I can't taste the 7% abv at all. A gentleman's beer.

3.15/5  rDev -13%

Hmmm so Schneider-Brooklyner Hopfenweisse (Weizenbock meets IPA) was awesome so how about this contributory IPA?

A - Hmmm Sort of a blond beer but in good old English style ale fashion little to no head

S - Bitter hops and a lot of them but nothing else, refreshing

M - Stale and flat unsurprising for the style, too dry

D - Well...

4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A: One finger head lightly browned. Beer is a darker amber color. Light carbonation and a little cloudy.

S: Spicy and light malt. Faint alcohol aroma. Rich in smell, a lot going on.

T/M: Great level of spices and malts. Brew is smooth with a good kick from the alcohol. Not to powerful to hurt it.

D: Excellent drinkability. One of the more interesting I.P.A's out there. kinda in a class of its own. I think this one can go down as one of my go to beers.

Cheers!!

3.15/5  rDev -13%

Poured from a brown bottle into a weizen glass. Has a rich amber color with a 1/2 inch head. Smells of hops and malt. Taste is not bad but a tad hoppy and bitter for my liking. Both mouth feel and drinkability are very average. Overall not a bad beer but nothing great.

3.55/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours an amber hue that is quite orange, to an extent that it sort of resembles orange-flavored cough syrup. White head settles quickly. Aroma is hoppy but quite reserved. More fruity than pungent. Quite subtle in the glass. Taste is a drier hop taste with flavor that is also quite retrained seeming. Its basically like a Brooklyn lager with a bit of added hop, as others have noted. Mouth is light, nothing special with no lingering presence of anything really. It's light presence lends itself to a higher drinkability, but thats certainly not to say that it is delicious by any means. Certainly a bit above the average garbage you find, but nothing too interesting.

4.03/5  rDev +11.3%

Thanks to jdmek9 for this one.

A: Over 2 fingers of head forms rather quickly, and it's bubbly and creamy in consistency. Brew is dark golden edges and an amber hue. Bubbly retention and sticky lacing.
S: I get bready malts balanced out by citrus and a peppery spice. Hops add a refreshing note to this aroma.
T: Definitely a balanced IPA, shying away from hopped up American takes on the style. Fruity esters greet my palate. The bready malt is subtle and it allows the hops to pull through. Hop characteristics are mostly floral and spicy. Earthy and grassy hops pull through with a bit of warmth. I really tried to discern precisely which fruits I was tasting but was having difficulties. They were pleasant, but it bothers me that I can't figure out what they are!
M: Medium body and crisp carbonation. Good bitter residuals really linger.
D: This is a good EIPA. I'm definitely a fan. I look forward to trying more of Brooklyn's interpretations.

3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

12oz bottle -> pint
Best before: Aug 2009 - screened on bottle

Pours a clear golden orange with a small wispy white head that dissipates quickly. Scattered cliffs of lace. Carbonation is intense, quick and bountiful.

Nose: Nice balance of hops and malt. Caramel sweetness and citric hop. They intermingle wonderfully.

Man as soon as I tasted it i knew I poured to cold, damn eagerness. Well, once it warmed, the malt stands strong with this one. Caramel sweet tones up front with some citrus bitterness that succumbs to the sweetness and fades at the finish. Good balance and interpretation of the style. Could use a tad less carbonation.

I was impressed with this mix-pack from Brooklyn. If you haven't tried them in awhile, I'd consider giving 'em another whirl.

3.08/5  rDev -14.9%

Appearance 12 oz bottle poured into a pint.

Appearance: Dark amber, head on the smaller side. Good head rention and lacing that clings to the glass. Lots of bubbles.

Smell: floral & citrus (specifically pineapple) notes. Faint smell though.

Taste: has the same floral hop taste that a lot of Brooklyn brewery brews have. Tastes very similar to the lager with a strong hoppy after bite. A bit more citrus then Brooklyn lager though. That is the only thing that bothers me about this beer. Perhaps more citrus and less floral would give this the taste that the dog fish IPAs have and that I and so many others love.

Moutfeel: Very smooth but very bitter from the hops. I enjoy this others may not. Perhaps an over use of certain hos.

Drinkabilty: this is less of a sipping IPA, light enough to have a few. A very good attempt at an IPA, just reminds me of a lot of other BB beers just hoppier.

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

A: Pours a glowing orange-amber color with a large, stiff, and fluffy white head that deposits some nice patterns on lacing on its way down. A looker indeed, the color is particularly impressive.

S: Nose seems a bit unorganized and out of whack. There's grainy, sweet malt (Maris Otter, I think), and a whiff of grassy, herbal hop aroma. Some citrusy, lemony scents work their way in, as well. A bit too alcoholic for my liking. The aroma is strong but the different scents don't quite "gel" like they should.

T&M: A sweet, slightly grainy/straw-like malt is ever-present, balanced out by lemony, grassy, and lightly spicy hop flavors. It gets a bit watery/light during the middle, and there's a slight metallic twang on the finish, as well. Body is medium/light with adequate carbonation. Relatively well-balanced, but again--the beer seems unorganized. Where's the subtle dry fruitiness imparted by English brewing yeast? How about a subtle biscuity malt that's slightly dry?

D: Easy to drink, but it'd be a pleasure to drink if it tasted better. This beer needs a bit of an overhaul in order to be a great English-style IPA.

3.43/5  rDev -5.2%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass. Best before April 2010.

A - Pours a pale amber with a fluffy white head.

S - Grassy, earthy hops, a bit of sweet malt. Nothing really stands out.

T - Grassy hops, bready malt, bit of spice. Finishes dry and bitter. Not enough malt to really balance out the hops.

M - Medium body, good carbonation, a bit syrupy.

D - Decent, but not quite balanced correctly.

Not a terrible beer but there are certainly better examples of the style out there.

4.08/5  rDev +12.7%

Above average IPA for the price and quite drinkable

Appearance: Pale bronze with decent lacing and a quickly dissapating head

Smell: Hop/citrus

Taste: Hoppy throughout with a hint of smokey malt

Mouthfeel: Bitter kick with a lingering finish

Drinkability: Versatile but probably goes better with a meal

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

This pours a golden amber with a decent head. The smell was light, pleasant with perhaps a hint of fruit but not overwhelming. The taste was nice, hoppy with a lot of flavor. I couldn't taste the alcohol at all, which can be a good thing or a bad thing.

If you are searching for a good IPA I recommend this one.

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a nonic pint glass

A- Pours a golden color with orange highlights when held to light. One and a half finger head that dissipates rather fast. Lacing is very sporadic with small circles in some places and chunks in others.

S- Smell is mostly hops with little else to offer. I didn't get the peppery effect that others had. Not overly impressive.

T- Once again not much else besides hops here. Hints of spices, though none in particular stand out. The best thing I can say about the taste is that it's balanced. The 7% alcohol doesnt really show up in the taste.

M- Light carbonation. Pretty creamy for an IPA which I didnt mind. Not to harsh on the tongue, goes down smooth.

D- Despite the fact that nothing really stood out in this beer, it all came together for me as a drinkable beer. Nothing spectacular but I would drink a second one.

Overall- Pretty average beer if you ask me. Definitely not the best Brooklyn has to offer. I don't think I'd go out of my way to have another of these.

Brooklyn East India Pale Ale from Brooklyn Brewery