Brooklyn Lager - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-11-1998

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,166 | Hads: 3,310

Surprisingly for a Lager it poured amber with an inch head that downgraded to a 1/4 inch head quickly. Taste is good. Extremely well balanced beer. Way more hops than i expected, which is awesome! Very drinkable. It delivers a nice Lager taste with the malts, but then follows up with an awesome hop finish. I love the hop structure. Maybe it's because i expected some tasteless lager but... I really like this beer! Lacing is awesome for a Lager...it leaves these rad rings. Perfect session beer. I have nothing bad to say about this beer. It's perfect for what it is. And packs many surprises! Will for sure buy again. Brilliant. But I must say...if I tasted this with a blindfold on my head and had to guess the style, I would not guess Lager. But hey...I really like this beer! I bought a 6 pack and enjoyed every last drop, noticing different flavors every sip. I will for sure buy this again and recommend it to all my friends!

UPDATE: This has become my favorite beer. (976 characters)

love the Brooklyn lager... always pick up a six pack when I'm in new york... like the hoops smell and has a great taste that you can drink all night... also had on tap and is also excellent... excellent with hamburgers and other American food and BBQ foods. (257 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +28.4%

For this style of beer, This is the best very well done with good malt taste and nit much hops.. Wish i could find this in Colorado cause it would be my most frequently bought beer (180 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +27.1%

A- a distunct red hue and deep amber colour very attractive with a thin off white head that sticks around.

S- Extremly hopy! deep piny hops with hints grapfruit a good amount of sweet malt and a slight funk.

T- Crispy and fresh with a massive burst of spicy hops hops and a juicy mouth waterning malt, the beer has a balanced finish finally becoming dry and quite bitter.

M &D- not your average lager, but an excellent diveation from traditon, a smooth mouth feel and great drinkability could drink this all year round but imagine it to be fantastic during the summer. (571 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +25.8%

Pours a rich amber/ borderline orange. Slightly off white head with lace.

Resiny hops balance out sweet caramel maltiness.

Toasty biscuit caramel flavors dominate the taste, but a nice bitter hit catches right at the end. Genious.

Medium body with a nice tongue caress, very quaffable beer. How does Jim Koch sell any beer? (332 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Weak abv for me. But I had this beer in New York on tap and it was amazing. The 4 pints I had Complimented my shepherds pie extremely well. I forgot the name of the pub or else I'd mention them, oh well. I do suggest going to the heartland brewery tho ;) (254 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +24.2%

When i took the first sip of this beer i could tell it had a very crisp clean taste to it, very hoppy and it is similar to a Sam Adams lager. i could definatly see my self at a bar drinking these back all night long. i highly recommend this beer to people who have never had it, if u live in new york city you don't have an excuse not to have it because you can get it at almost any bar down there (397 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +23.7%

pours a darker golden color. good head that leaves nice lacing.very fresh smelling, really nice. definitly an inviting beer. good bitterness, slight spice notes, slightly grassy in the finish. very refreshing. definitly how a lager should taste. i don't have anything bad to say about this brew. my favorite lager, and yet another great offering from brooklyn brewery. (368 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +23.7%

Date notched on the side of the label. That is a good start. The color is an inviting dark amber, topped off with a decent tan head. The aroma is all hops. So different from what I expect in a "lager" but such a welcome surprise. Brooklyn makes a nice beer with this one. Great hop flavors pushing right up to its malt counterpart. Perfect balance and amazing taste. This makes an outstanding session brew. I feel very fortunate to have this as one of my locals. This is my absolute favorite lager and a must try for anyone in the NY area. (539 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +22.9%

Appearance: Orange-honey in color with plenty of visible carbonation and great lacing.
Smell: Fresh malts and a good bit of floral hop.
Taste: I love the hop flavor, but didn't expect so much from a lager. Taste is leafy, very fresh and clean tasting with a citrusy bite at the end which seems more pronounced the more you drink.
Mouthfeel: Medium smoothness and a little more carbonated than many American Lagers.
Drinkablity: This came in a sampler case and I only have 3 left, oh no. I will definitely be getting some more. (530 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a beautiful golden amber/copper color with a quarter finger of white head that dissipated to a thin coating of foam that covered the top of the beer, like wispy clouds.

Aroma: Malt, malt, and more malt. Freshly baked bread and some brown sugar. Some floral notes too, like clover. Very nice.

Taste: Nice balance of a hoppy front followed by a malty finish. More freshly baked bread and some subtle fruit, oranges? Peaches? Pears? Very tasty.

Mouthfeel: Medium and smooth. Nicely carbonated. Crisp and clean.

Overall: This is a damn fine lager! It has more depth than most other good lagers that I’ve tasted, such as Yuengling to Sam Adams name two, and a great balance between the malt and hops. That balance, combined with how crisp and clean the beer is, makes for an excellent session beer! (858 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +21.9%

One of my all time favorite brews. Hoppy, malty and rich.

A: Deep copper and a white foamy head.
S: Hoppy and slightly sweet.
T: Bold, malty at first with a nice lingering hop bitterness.
M: Just the right amount of carbonation.
D: Great on a snowy night with a bowl of spicy chili, a hot summer night on the roof with bbq, or with dessert. Very drinkable and very pairable with all kinds of food. (400 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +21.1%

A - Orange-yellow-amber color. big sticky white head that laces very nicely.

S - Oranges, citrus, hops, and a whole lot of bread and mild bready malts.

T - Yeasty citrusy bready malty wonderfulness. Really refreshing and pleasant. Really really really well balanced in a way that it is kind of special almost.

M Medium bodied. Perfectly balanced between hops and malt. Great. Dry. Hoppy.

D - Very very drinkable. Could drink this all day every day and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite session beers of all time. Will be getting this a LOT in the future. (565 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

From twelve ounce bottle in summer variety pack.

Aroma of sweet citrus malt. Pours amber/orange body with a finger and a half of white foamy head. Head dissipated to fine white film light spotty lacing of glass. Taste of crisp citrus zest and flowery notes. Finely carbonated, thoroughly enjoyable! I am going to have another right now! (337 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +20.8%

There's a handful of "good beers" that I drink straight out of the bottle; beers that I believe are just as enjoyable straight up as they are in glassware. Brooklyn Lager is most certainly one of those beers. I'm reviewing the brew as is out of the bottle, because that's how most people probably drink it anyway when they buy it in 6-packs (but maybe I'm wrong). I'll probably take the time to review it out of a pint at a later time.

Appearance is the classic Brooklyn brown bottle with attractive but not-overly flashy label. I've always been suspicious of beers that put too much effort into labeling or work hard on having a gimmick. American IPAs are generally the worst offenders (Stone Coast's 420, for example), but I suppose that's predictable enough. Brooklyn keeps it simple, but instantly recognizable. When I see that B, I just sort of get excited.

Smells like hearty delicious lager made with fresh American hops.

Wowee. It tastes like a hearty delicious lager as well. Flavor hits the middle of the tongue, and goes down easy. A nice smooth malt/hop finish, with the ever slightest trace of alcohol flavor. This beer is the definition of balance.

At 5.2% and all that tastiness, this is an ideal beer for those looking to consume more than a drink or two in one sitting. Not too light, but not too heavy, Brooklyn Lager is versatile enough to suit most palates any time of the year. It can easily cool you off in the summer, but will keep you toasty in the windier months. A great beer for people that are a fan of Sam Adams, but want to kick up the quality several notches while lowering the price a bit.

If I could only choose one American lager to drink for the rest of my life, this would be it. I've yet to try a better one thus far, although I'm taking suggestions. (1,792 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +20.6%

Pours a rich amber color with sporadic carbonation bubbles. The head is massive and immensely dense. The rocky top looks like vanilla ice cream and lasts forever. Lacing coats 70% of the glass. The aroma is light and hoppy, with a citric character. Hops are assertive in the taste. Immediately you get a sinus filling dose of flowery, oily citrusy fresh hop aroma and a tart bitterness. Caramel and buttered bread flavors provide a great balance when they show in the middle. The finish is lemony with a lingering pleasant bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium with soft carbonation and mouthcoating hop oils.

This is a fantastic lager, and takes the place of Sam Adams as my second favorite American Lager. Its hoppier and lighter on the malt side. Prima Pils still remains king for me though. (795 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +20.3%

This was my favorite beer I've had over the last few days on a trip to nyc. (I bought this from a bodega on lenox in harlem)

Attractive dark gold or maybe a light amber, with a generous head.

Nice malty aroma. The flavor has much more complexity than I've ever had from a lager. Generous malts but still dry. Tons of hops, both floral and bittering, but not overpowering. Very well balanced. This is most definitely the best lager I've ever had. I highly recommend this beer.

On a sidenote, this beer (like most lagers) is best enjoyed cold, but it is very good when only cool which is a testament to how good this beer is. (632 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +20.3%

Poured copper/amber, with a heavy dose of carbonation, two fingers of white, good head retention, and good lacing. Smelled of biscuit, malt, pear, grass, and herbal hops. Nice to see what a good lager is capable of smelling like. The taste yielded a nicely balanced herbal/grassy/malty mix that progressed to a crisp dry finish, and left malty hints afterwards. More pear fruitiness was revealed as it warmed towards room temperature. The mouthfeel was a perfectly carbonated medium body. An excellent session lager. (516 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well I've heard good things about the Brooklyn Beer company, so I figured I would give it a taste. I have to say I was NOT disappointed. This is a great beer all around, actually thinking about moving it into my favorite status. Superb flavor, great hoppy taste that isn't overpowering, and doesn't leave you wanting more. Great color, great aroma, price is a bit high, but on par with all the other micro-brews and beers like it.

Definitely one of my all time favorites. (472 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +19.5%

such a good beer. finger and a half head. Amber color head lasts throughout whole time but eased down to quarter inch. good lacing throughout. malty. little dry. smooth as hell. little bit of a hop bite. medium feel. I loved this. f or people who never had this it's like closer to a less intense Sam Adams I could drink this all the time (338 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +19%

Dark gold to amber with a nice creamy tan head, good carbonation, and decent lace. Nice dry-hopped aroma when fresh. Good malty flavor with great balance -- flowery hops. Light-medium bodied and smooth with a dry finish; maybe just a tad too dry.

One of the better American Amber Lagers -- a great seesion brew and much more consistent in quality than Sam Adams.

Label States: "The Pre-Prohibition Beer"

Per B.B. website:
Malts: 2-row pale malt, caramel malt, carapils
Hops: Hallertau and Cascade

Per "Beers" book: Crystal and Pale malts, dry hopped, 5.1% ABV

Per "B.A.B." book: 5.2% ABV

Gold Medal - Vienna Lager - 1992 GABF

Best Before: Sep '02
Tasted: 10/25/03 (688 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +19%

Thanks to Hojaminbag for sending me this one. It has been a top wants for a long time.

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Tripel Karmeliet tulip. This beer pours a dark orangish red with a fluffy 2 finger head that left an unanticipated amount of lacing. The aroma is surprisingly hoppy. This is definitely the most hoppy lager I have ever had. The aroma is floral and citrus hops. There is definitely a good bit of lemon in the nose along with a good floral bouquet. The flavor is just a superb combination of a nice hoppy bite with a good caramel malt backbone. The mouthfeel is nice and smooth with a velvety creaminess to it. I wish this beer would be local to me. I definitely would make it a staple in my beer rotation. (720 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +19%

Freshness date of Feb 08.

A - Slightly hazy orange amber colour with a dense inch or so of off white head that slowly falls away. Patchy lacing.
S - Citrusy hops with some nice malt undertones.
T - The citrusy hops are there backed up by some slightly sweet caramel malt.
M - On the fuller side for a lager which is alright by me. Medium carbonation.
D - I think this is the best "lager" I've ever had. Drinks much more like a good pale ale. Shame it's availability is so limited in Australia. I could drink this all night long. (529 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +18.5%

Brooklyn Lager is a classic. its everything i look for in a beer. hoppy, yet smooth. bitter, yet tasty. I can drink a 6-pack in one sitting, or I can have one with dinner. A good beer for the winter, but also nice on a cool summer night. I love this beer. It is the standard by which i judge all other beers of this type.

Just a well--rounded lager. (350 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

T:
-very nice floral hops with oranges and tangerines upfront
-middling caramel component
-well carbonated
-thin with light hop bitterness,oranges and grapefruit on the finish
O:
Ive seen this categorized as a Vienna Lager,its not.
Theres a definite american touch to this and i love it. (288 characters)

Brooklyn Lager from Brooklyn Brewery