Brooklyn Dry Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Irish Dry Stout |  3.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-12-2001)
Reviews by bultrey:
4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

I had this on cask at Brazen Head tonight, and it was labeled "Brooklyn Irish Stout," but I'm assuming it's the same thing. Who knows, the last review here was 2003, so maybe the recipe has changed.
Anyhow, the current version is really tasty, a very true-to-the-style stout that on cask was just about as drinkable as they come. It tasted like a really hearty pumpernickle bread, but with some light coffee and toffee notes. It also had a fairly yeasty flavor, which I assume is more a product of the cask than anything, but it really contributed to the flavor of this beer. As liquid bread as they come. Nice.

bultrey, Feb 24, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Had this at a local brewfest this summer. An excellent dry stout with all the usual characteristics of coffee, dark chocolate and burnt molasses. An exceptional, long lasting head when dispensed from the keg and full bodied.

John, Dec 13, 2001

Danobold, Jan 22, 2013
2.95/5  rDev -26.8%

On-tap at the Winking Lizard, Fairlawn, Ohio - 3/4/06

A: Served in a nonic glass. Dark brown to black in color with a thin wispy head. Tons of lacing left all over the glass.

S: After several attempts, I finally detected a bit of coffee in the aroma, but overall, it doesn't put out much aroma at all.

T: Generic stout flavors of chocolate, coffee, and earthy tones. Not much flavor in all.

M: Smooth, but watery. Slightly dry finish.

D: Looks nice, feels ok, doesn't smell or taste like much. Easy to drink, but I think I'll pass next time this is offered on draft. Perhaps I'll try this selection if bottled.

klewis, Mar 06, 2006

I had this on tap at the Winking Lizard in Fairlawn Ohio. Came in the glass of the month with the Brooklyn logo on the front.

I think I am having the same problem the reviewer a couple of spaces down. I haven't had enough dry stouts in order to properly review this fine brew.

There was no head to this reddish black stout at all. Either I got a great pour from the bartender or that is the way they come.

Very dry in the mouth with notes of coffee, dark chocolate and smoked cedar chips. I found the smell muted as well but found the stout very drinkable.

I will try to seek this out more often.

maddamish, Mar 04, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Like all the other Ohio BAs that reviewd this beer, I got mine on draught at (Avon) Winking Lizard. I had to go for their special, this beer in a Brooklyn Brewery Imperial 22oz. pint glass. What this means is that I got to keep the glass after I finished this fine beer.

Appearance: Poured this dark brown/blackish color with a 2 finger head of foam. The head of foam was not white and it wasn't tan either. It was somewhere in the middle. It dissipated away very slowly leaving behind plenty of this off white color lace.

Smell: It wasn't overpowering in the aroma department, but it had this gentle aroma of dark roasted malts, some coffee in the middle, and some dark chocolate at the end.

Taste: I was not overwhelmed in the taste dept., but I don't think I was suppose too cause this is an Irish Dry Stout. What it had was an excellent straight up taste of dark roasted malts, dark chocolate, and this ended with a nice slight bitter aftertaste. Very Good!

Mouthfeel: I found this to be very smooth and creamy, light, not too watery, and definitely not to dry either. Just the right amount of dryness for me.

Drinkability: I usually don't drink this style, but i had to try it since it was from Brooklyn Brewery. I'll tell you what, I'm glad I did. The best Irish Stout I've tasted so far. Granted I haven't tried that many, but I still found this beer excellent. Not only did I get a cool pint glass, but I got to try this excellent beer. Everything an Irish Dry Stout is suppose to be and is!

AltBock, Mar 30, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

On draught at Winking Lizard in Columbus. Pours flat black with a medium and foamy beige head that disappears pretty fast. Thin sheets of lacing. Aroma of malt, coffee and some chocolate. Fairly rich mouthfeel and nicely creamy, with coffee, bittersweet chocolate and hops flavor. A bit of roasted malt in the background as well. The finish is smooth and creamy and has a lingering coffee bitterness. Examples like this or GLBC Wolfhound remind me that this style doesn’t have to be boring. Well done.

Dogbrick, Mar 08, 2006
Brooklyn Dry Stout from Brooklyn Brewery
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.