2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Brooklyn Monster Ale - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Monster AleBrooklyn Monster Ale

good

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

English Barleywine |  10.10% ABV

Availability: Fall

ABV varies a bit year to year.

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-26-2000)
View: Beers (67) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Monster Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,695 | Reviews: 1,050 | Show All Ratings:
BigB415

2009 batch received as an extra in a trade. Poured copper brown into my pint glass. At first smell I can smell alcohol and hops. I take a sip and to me it tasted like an IPA. It is very smooth and subdued for a barleywine or for me it is since this is only my 3rd or 4th barleywine beer I have had. My last barleywine beer I had was a complete opposite experience for me. I find this beer great. It is great to sip on and enjoy since it is so smooth and there is barely no aftertaste. I was very surprised by this but I am happy I tried it. If only this was available to me where I live..

11-23-2010 04:46:24 | More by BigB415
geexploitation

Indiana

4.85/5  rDev +30.7%

2000 edition. Pours a very deep brown, kind of a molasses cola color, with a collar of bubbles for a head. The nose is fascinatingly complex. Lots of sweet smells -- honey, graham crackers, cafe au lait, marshmallows, and something along the lines of quince with cream.

On the palate, light sweetness comes up first, with quite a bit of treacly but nectary flavors, with a tinge of sourness at the very end. Very mouth coating flavors, with active sweet notes tingling on the tongue long after the liquid is gone.

Sooo smooth, this just rolls around the mouth so well. Incredible mouthfeel, with the only (slight) detraction being some present alcohol toward the back of the tongue and throat. But that's just nitpicking. The fact is that this barleywine, at 6 years old, shows great aroma, depth of flavor, and mouthfeel. It's truly wonderful.

12-13-2006 05:27:49 | More by geexploitation
jondeelee

4.83/5  rDev +30.2%

A fellow beer enthusiast gave me a bottle of the 2003 edition that had been aging in his cellar for five years. Undoubtedly what I'm reviewing thus tastes slightly different from what can be expected.

The bottle I'm reviewing smells deeply malty, with a strong sherry scent, reminding me of the aroma that comes off of a hot mixture of brown sugar, butter, and vanilla.

On the tongue, there's an explosion of flavors flying at me so fast that I'm not quite sure what to latch on to. The best comparison I can make between this beer and something else would be to a fine bottle of at least fifteen-year-old port that had somehow managed to attain sherry-like flavors in the cask. Individual flavors that I pick out include raisins, caramel and toffee, maple syrup, and dark fruit esters, but even that doesn't do justice to the complexity of the palate. The hop finish for my bottle is decently strong, though nowhere near the levels that other reviewers on this site have reported--which might be due to the aging process. Mouthfeel is similar to cream, in that the beer slides almost effortlessly across the tongue, the carbonation only lightly pricking at your soft palate as it goes past.

Bottom line: quite frankly, I'm astounded by this beer, in every good way imaginable. If you like beer--and I mean *good* beer--you have to find a bottle of this. And no, I'm not telling you the name of my fellow enthusiast, because when I go over to his house tomorrow evening to steal the rest of his collection, I don't want to find that one of you have gotten to it first.

08-13-2011 20:58:11 | More by jondeelee
mentor

Colorado

4.78/5  rDev +28.8%

12 oz bottle obtained from Norm's (DC area) in summer 2004 and consumed in Feb 2005. Bottle says "This monster was born in 2003". Pours thick and without any head...just the tiniest ring of bubbles around the glass. Mildly cloudy dark orange-brown liquid. Whoa, smells pretty good. Rich eastery fruits over chocolate, caramel and some alcohol. A bit of astringency (tannins?) and perhaps some spicey orangish hop character (would they put Hallertauer or Saaz into an English Barley Wine?...would such an aroma survive for so long?). What is that fruity I'm smelling...I've smelled it before and it's very strong here. Like an earthy apricot with winey grapes. Tastes...wow...interesting. Quite the delightful sweet fruity experience, unlike many rougher barley wines I've tried. Starts with a sour fruity flavor identical to the fruity smell that I couldn't put my finger on. Ah, I got it...I think it's vienna malt! Yes I get almost a bock caramel flavor. After that it's dry then sweet with a late (and noticable) alcohol that fits for an 11% beer. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy and the carbonation forms very fine bubbles on the whole flat of my tongue. All this is a late effect, just as a second wind of fruity sweetness rises up to make me ponder just went into this beer. The aftertaste is actually quite similar to the Dogfishhead Pumpkin ale. Some pumpkin pie spicey zing (mostly from the alcohol?), but with an interesting sweet squashing quality to it. Wow! I love it! The alcohol is a strong character in the flavor profile, but it swings from partner to partner so well that it survives each gulp as a pleasant participant. I drank a bottle of 2003 a year ago and thought it 'not good'. Now it seems to have come of age. Could be my changing pallette, but damn this was good. Less cloudy and a hair more head would have allowed me to score this beer much higher.

02-09-2005 04:17:17 | More by mentor
Avagadro

4.78/5  rDev +28.8%

Reviewed: 1-14-2009

Bottle:
10.1% ABV on neck label
10.3% ABV on main label

A: Pours with a fluffy, off-white head that fades quickly. Very clear and copper in color. A small amount of carbonation is visible.

S: The bouquet is very appealing. Citrus, pine, caramel, and ethanol come together harmoniously.

T: Both delicate and bold at the same time. The sweet maltiness is noticed immediately, followed by a distinct hop bite.

M: Full body and slightly oily. The is a fine grit to this ale as well. Very pleasing on the tongue.

D: One of my stand-by barleywine ales. This is a must-try for any barleywine fan, particularly those of the British style.

01-31-2009 03:15:08 | More by Avagadro
Scooter77

4.72/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2003 Bottle:
Pours deep amber/mahogany color with a small, off-white head, which dissipated quickly. The initial aroma was of strong hops, followed sweet malt and caramel. Taste was of intense hop flavor with undertones of sweet fruitiness and rich caramel. Strong taste of alcohol can be detected, but maintains a nice balance throughout. This is a great brew to warm you up on a cold winter day.

03-17-2003 10:46:15 | More by Scooter77
Sycodrummer

4.72/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Recently had on tap at the Sunset Grill and Tap in Allston, Mass. Served in a 12oz. toulip glass this beer was a deep brown color with a slight golden tinge when held to the light. It was crowned by a solid two finger head and rings of thick lace all the way down the glass.

Smell was very heavy alcohol upfront balanced out by some nutty and fruity scents.

Taste was exceptional. Very strong, but not in a way to detract from the taste. You almost didn't taste the alcohol until after you swallowed the beer. Exceptional malted barley flavors with a subtle bitterness and sharp biting alcohol that finished off each sip.

Rather heavy on the palate, semi-syrup and lacking significant carbonation.

A joy to drink and great to sample prior to a meal or just after one like you would a cordial. Must be respected for its powerful presence and enjoyed in moderation.

03-01-2005 03:56:04 | More by Sycodrummer
nickfl

4.7/5  rDev +26.7%

This is a 2005 edition Monster.

A - Pours with just under one finger of tan head on top of a clear, amber colored body. The head quickly settles to a thin film, with a few bubbles clinging to the sides of the glass.

S - Strong aroma of alcohol and plums. Lots of dark fruit that blends nicely with the floral, somewhat piney, hops. There is a good bit of caramel malt in there as well.

T - The flavor is powerful, with a strong bite of hops up front. This is followed by raisins, alcohol, and a complex arrangement of roasted grains. The dark fruit of the aroma is more subdued here; the flavor is more dominated by malt and alcohol. There is a slight herbal aspect to this beer as well, with elements of mustard, mint, pepper, and possibly sage showing up, especially in the finish. I also detect a distinct note of tobacco with a bit of leather towards the end.

M - Thick and mouth coating with moderate carbonation.

D - This is a beautiful beer. It is extremely complex while managing to remain very smooth as well. I can say from experience that it is an excellent choice to pair with a cigar.

11-14-2007 05:54:40 | More by nickfl
markgugs

on tap in a tulip snifter, at Hop Devil's "Daze of the Devil" festival, 1/19/08

[1998 Vintage]
A: Looks like a fermenting tank! A bold orange/copper color with a murky body and very little in the way of head, just thin, swirling wisps of off-white bubbling to let you know that the beer is in fact, carbonated.

S: Huge malted nose, wave after wave of sweet bread, toasted biscuits, brown sugar and perhaps some plum. Smells like a candy factory.

T/M: Wow, I guess this is what happens to a big, complex barleywine that's been aged properly for nearly 10 years. Amazingly well-balanced and true to the English style, there is almost no hop presence. Instead, prepare yourself for a thick mixture of brown sugar, sweetbread, toffee, caramel and raisins. I took my time with this 9oz. glass and every sip was well-worth it.

D: Dangerous. That's the only word I can come up with here. Nearly 12% ABV? Come on, there is not even a hint of the alcohol in here. Now if I only had a case of '98 vintage...

01-20-2008 17:55:30 | More by markgugs
mempath

4.7/5  rDev +26.7%

looks good. color of bourbon with little head action. looks like the fireworks will be in the taste...

nice nose! deep sweet malt that unfolds in slow motion towards some sense of hops. another swirl and out pop muscatel notes.

o yeah, this is loaded with all sorts of handpicked, 1st round draft riiff-raff. sure, the alcohol is the vehicle, but all sorts of intense, punch in the face maltiness egged on by the hops. perfect xmas day breakfast (and follow-up to the lambic). a nice, almost burned molasses comes through but minus the burn or the sweetness. almost sour. perfect.

the mouthfeel is thickish, but compliments the whole perfectly. sure this is incredibly drinkable and a nice reprieve from my overdosing on hopbombs for the whole year...a session beer for suicidals, but definitely a holiday treat, a dessert, a great brew to pair with any feast.

12-25-2009 14:20:55 | More by mempath
Lexluthor33

4.68/5  rDev +26.1%

(From notes on my Palm)-Location: Bar Great Harry NYC
1999 Vintage

This was served in a 12 oz. Stein. Hazy,orange hue with a nice sized head and good lacing action.

The aroma of malts,fruit notes and caramel hints.
The taste followed the aroma with a burst of sweet malts,fruit flavors that came in layers. Citrus,apples,some spice and subtle hops. There was a tinge of caramel to the aftertaste,but this was malty.
The feel was medium carbonation with a rich,creamy texture. Full bodied with only a faint touch of bitterness.

Notes: A wonderful night and a delight to say that I enjoyed this beer while talking to Garret Oliver as he himself sipped on one. This beer reminded me of Old Victory or even Fred,but so much better. This was the Star attraction of the night and it was so easy to drink that even Garret himself said that it was something he needed to be careful with. I can not say enough about the entire night yet I remember the talk was all about "99" Monster.

01-31-2009 04:46:44 | More by Lexluthor33
RothBrews

4.68/5  rDev +26.1%

This review is compiled from 3 associates and I off of a blind taste test. We would like to say that this is not a perfectly in style barleywine, but still one of our favorites. This review reflects the results of beer drinkers not knowing anything about the beer until it hits their glass. Name, Brewery, and style were kept secret.

Aroma - Light coppery aroma with and alcoholic nose. Hints of carmel, pine, and a hint of anise.

Taste - Wonderful light copper opening that quickly fills to a sweet explosion. Very little to no hop profile but a wonderful malt profile. This beer is extremely complex with many many different hidden flavors. Chocolate and maple syrup are easily noticed as well as the sherry that they claim is used in the brewing process somehow. After tasting the panel though this beer was a scotch ale/strong ale. I personally feel that this is a Dogfish Head 120 Ipa Light. The malt profiles and slight dark liquor accents are similar. Unfortunately this beer is only slightly easier to find. A great replacement if you have a NEED for a dfh120ipa. There is a slight taste of hops on the back of your tongue as you are led into the after taste. The after taste is malty with a light copper finish. Some of the tasters said that the booze nasal and flavors can be a little overwhelming at times. Let this beer warm while you drink it, there are many flavors locked in ice cold beer!

Mouth Feel - The mouth feel is a thin syrup with a very delightful carbonation level.

Look/Color - This beer pours a crystal clear amber red, which is not a very common color for a barley wine, but it is still a very pretty beer. The head, when poured aggressively, can be as much as 2 inches and is very thick, but has low retention. Note: I poured this into a pint glass for my tasters to conceal style and then poured it into goblet style cups. (The difference is huge of course!)

Overall I love this beer and I must confess it is one of my favorites. The only constructive criticism that we have is that the booze can be a little overbearing at times. However, this is a small gripe due to the ease of drinking of this beer. After a full pint this beer warms you from toe to head. Delicious.

-Eric Roth, Roth Brewing Company

02-03-2010 14:52:53 | More by RothBrews
crhensel

4.65/5  rDev +25.3%

(12 oz bottle into snifter) WOW!! I had heard wonderful things about this one, but it was truly an enjoyable drink. Poured a deep amber with a small off white hear that fell fast. Nose carried hints of caramel, pit fruits, and a hint of alcohol. I was glad to see that it was only 11% for a barleywine and was not overpowered by the alcohol at all. The flavor retains a nice plum with a pleasant burn of the alcohol at the end, reminding you that this is a good sipper and very complex.

01-04-2012 01:56:34 | More by crhensel
renegadeburger

4.63/5  rDev +24.8%

got this beer in a 4pack i never heard of the style before but it seemed like an interesting twist my friend told me to age this beer so i actually put it in the back of my crisper drawer for 4 months before i opened it

when i did i was in for a special evening there was not much of a head on the beer i thought i would be disappointed but the beer had a great burgundy color

the real prize here was the aroma i never in my life smelled anything like this is smelled like sweet cherries how did they do that? also crazy like pipe tobacco and maple syrup really interesting for a beer

taste had black pepper and also spice like nutmeg and even some caramel and honey in there absolutely great

mouthfeel was amazing it tasted like a desert wine or syrup you put on a cheese cake i did not drink this beer i sipped it slowly it made me want to savor everything in it

overall i loved this beer i look forward to trying more brooklyn brewery for sure i am glad i still have some of these babies in storage

07-03-2011 01:31:06 | More by renegadeburger
DeschutesNut

North Dakota

4.6/5  rDev +24%

Had this beautiful beer on tap at the MN Craft Brewers Guild Autumn Brew Review 2011 in Minneapolis at the historic Grain Belt Complex. Never even heard of this brew before and I love Barleywines. It was a 2009 vintage. Exceptional beer. Alcohol very hidden. All in all its time i seek this bad boy out to have in the cellar at all times!

10-03-2011 23:06:25 | More by DeschutesNut
bultrey

3.76? 3.76!
Age it. Seriously.
This beer is rough when it is young. No doubt. I've had a few of the younger ones, and it is a rough, if not average barleywine.
Ahhhh, but on this occaison, I had a 2001 vintage that The Gate had been storing in its basement for four or so years. And they did a goood job.
Pours a slightly hazy amber/orange color, with a remarkable head for a four-year-old brew. The nose reveals maple, a little bit of that soy sauce thing, some vanilla, some nice floral notes, and, strangely, a cola smell.
Taste -- this strikes me as hoppier than I would have expected, yet it has mellowed quite a bit. It is still a malty, sipping beer. Flavor is reminiscent of oranges AND apples (wha?), flowers, vanilla. The finish is remarkably dry and wine-like for a beer that starts so sweet, and as such, the drinkability of this estimated 11% brew is deceptively high.
If you have never been a fan of the Monster, please, seek it out, cellar it, forget about it. Open in 3 to 4 years (at least). Embrace.

03-10-2005 04:08:16 | More by bultrey
Fugazme

Nebraska

4.55/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

from notes:

Reddish /toffee in color... 1/4" head that dissipates slowly into a nice cap. Great swirl with great legs...

Aroma is sweet, caramel, hoppy, maple, alcohol... wonderfully good.

Mouthfeel is creamy smooth... silky... a slight burn. I would say perfect.

Taste is near perfect with a sweetend hoppy accent... great balance with caramel, malt and licorice.

Easily one of the best barleywines if not best beers I've ever had.

10-10-2006 14:34:58 | More by Fugazme
drperm

4.55/5  rDev +22.6%

This is a fantastic classic-English-style Barleywine. I prefer it to Sierra Nevada, I think.

I have now added "barleywine" to my MS Word's spell-check dictionary. As should all beer drinkers, based on this offering from Mr. Oliver & co. Rumor is that they blast the opening chorus from Carmina Burana when they brew it.

This is what we call a "fighting beer." Useful in hand-to-hand combat, I'm sure. Treat it with respect and it will satisfy you long into a cold winter's night.

Try it with dessert, especially if dessert means creme brulee.

04-28-2008 18:26:07 | More by drperm
aaronh

4.53/5  rDev +22.1%

2001 bottling. This murky beer pours the color of dull, dirty copper with a minimalist interpretation of a head. However, this small ring of tan foam sticks around for the entire party. The aroma is very vinous, with some sweet malt in the background and just a touch of hop spice. This is truly a delicious smelling beer. I could almost be happy with the bouquet alone. The initial sip is indescribeable. The second sip has a strong oak character to it which is very nutty in a way, but also somewhat smoky. The buttery, butterscotch flavors are subtle. This beer is at once intense and powerful yet subtle and cunning. The alcohol is noticeable, but not in a distrcting manner. A strong fruitiness is also present in this beer. Cherries come to mind, as well as chocolate and other sweet flavors. It seems that every sip reveals a new flavor. The mouthfeel is very smooth, with minimal aftertaste. The velvety mouthfeel greatly enhances botht he flavors and the overall experience of this beer. Althought this beer is a high ABV, it is really very drinkable. It is more of a sipping beer than a pounding thirst-quencher, but it is dangerously quaffable. This was truly an enexpected pleasure. Thank you Nero for this ambrosial beer.

01-10-2003 16:52:23 | More by aaronh
Phatz

This evening I had the opportunity to have a Brooklyn Monster Ale
2005 and right now I am working on the Brooklyn Monster Ale
2004. I will try to tell you about both but my rating may be biased to the 04 because in a few ways I liked it better than the 05.

Appearance: They both looked about the same a dark amber color that is partly transparent; frothy brew for the duration of the beer.

Smell: They were similar. The 05 was sweet with a hint of barley whereas the 04 seemed to be sweet with a hint of yeastiness. Both are very malty and wonderful.

Taste: The 05 I got a bit of hop character to it the 04 was more syrupy no (bothersome) hops just plain sweet caramelized malts. They both had the certain 'Red-ness' about them (if you know what I mean by red taste). They were both very caramel, syrup and sugar flavored. It is not the most unique or interesting taste I have encountered but it is easy to accept. It is so gentle on the palate that there is nothing about it that could be objectionable. Some people may call slightly boring what I call very easy drinking.

Mouthfeel: The 05 felt sticky but with high carbonation whereas the 04 felt heavier smoother and very lightly carbonated. OH so smooth! What a dream!

Drinkability: The 05 had a 4.0 drinkability and the 04 had a 4.5 drinkability primarily because of the intensity in the aftertaste (both are good). The 05 had a bit (just a bit) of dry bitterness in the aftertaste whereas the 04 was PERFECTLY smooth. It may be the extra year it had to age or the batches between 2004 and 2005 may have changed slightly. Either way they are booth very good drinks and if you can still find 04s on the shelf I'd snatch them up quick even if you want them for aging or taste comparisons. I highly recommend Monster.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

12-18-2005 07:26:13 | More by Phatz
TastyTaste

4.53/5  rDev +22.1%

Appearance: Clear bubbly light brown body, head is about 1/2", fading to a creamy, thin layer of off-white foam.

Smell: Carmel and maple sweetness, hops impart almost a mint aroma.

Taste: 11.8%? You'd never know it. The sweetness is held in check, which is something i can appreciate in a barleywine. Bready malts. The warming alcohol combine nicely to make this beer finish spicy, slightly dry, and a little floral from hops. I like it, I like it a lot.

Mouthfeel: Sticky and a little metallic. Nothing to complain about.

Drinkability: A very nice Barleywine, warming, good flavors, and not voerly sweet. Thanks to Blackie for this one.

02-22-2006 02:59:20 | More by TastyTaste
phishgator

4.53/5  rDev +22.1%

Poured into a pint glass. The amber color is capped with a tight white head that is 1" thick. The lacing occurs slowly through the session. Mild carbonation. Bready malt, sweet brandy, and dry tea leaves. The flavor is spot on with an English BW. Big sweet malt flavor with a touch of clean bittering hop taste. Hop profile is less fruity and more crisp and earthy. The body is full and the smoothness is awesome. I could have a couple of these and be happy. The alcohol is hidden well given the strength; I'm not saying it isn't there! This might be my favorite English Style BW to date.

07-01-2008 17:36:46 | More by phishgator
albertjr21

4.53/5  rDev +22.1%

A 2009 bottle enjoyed in a goblet glass on 2.1.11.

A: A reddish-copper color under a thin ring head.

S: A moderate nose of earthy fruit and sweet malt; a toasted sugary caramel backbone.

M/T: A creamy smooth and full flavored treat with a pleasant caramel malt backdrop.

D: Dangerously smooth after 2 years. Next chance I get, I'll be picking up a 4 pack and aging each of them one year apart from each other.

02-17-2011 03:39:12 | More by albertjr21
Brad007

Vermont

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

Saw this and just had to pick up the last two bottles on the shelf.

Color: Reddish copper color with a one-finger head. Plenty of carbonation.

Aroma: Rich and malty. Sweet, but not cloying. I pick up aromas of raisin and fruit.

Taste: Starts out with a malt kick that's strong and rich. In the middle, alcohol warmness takes over. Toasty. Smooth. The alcohol is well hidden with the rest of the flavors. The hoppiness is subdued.

Mouthfeel: Plum and raisin. Lightly dry. Malty and warm.

Verdict: A very nice barleywine that is a sipping beer. You don't want to quaff this. It's smooth and obviously would age very well.

03-11-2008 02:13:58 | More by Brad007
grssmnperez

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

Bottle born in 2007

For a four year old barleywine it sure has come of age.

Poured into snifter with very little head, lacing and carbonation.

Dark cloudy amber

instant hints of malt, caramel, and honey.

very drinkable but high in ABV

this is truly something that was worth waiting for...

02-24-2011 22:15:52 | More by grssmnperez