Brooklyn Monster Ale - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

English Barleywine |  10.10% ABV

Availability: Fall

ABV varies a bit year to year.

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-26-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Monster Ale Alström Bros

troegaarden, Mar 02, 2013

Snellgg5, May 14, 2012

harrylee773, Feb 20, 2012

JStat28, Jul 28, 2014

y2korey, Nov 25, 2011

2009 batch received as an extra in a trade. Poured copper brown into my pint glass. At first smell I can smell alcohol and hops. I take a sip and to me it tasted like an IPA. It is very smooth and subdued for a barleywine or for me it is since this is only my 3rd or 4th barleywine beer I have had. My last barleywine beer I had was a complete opposite experience for me. I find this beer great. It is great to sip on and enjoy since it is so smooth and there is barely no aftertaste. I was very surprised by this but I am happy I tried it. If only this was available to me where I live..

BigB415, Nov 23, 2010

McLaughlin5350, Nov 30, 2011

cowboy83, Jun 06, 2012

tat2dhllblly, Nov 15, 2011

Bmoyer0301, Dec 01, 2011

felipeprates, Jul 15, 2013

tykechandler, Jun 19, 2014
4.85/5  rDev +30.7%

2000 edition. Pours a very deep brown, kind of a molasses cola color, with a collar of bubbles for a head. The nose is fascinatingly complex. Lots of sweet smells -- honey, graham crackers, cafe au lait, marshmallows, and something along the lines of quince with cream.

On the palate, light sweetness comes up first, with quite a bit of treacly but nectary flavors, with a tinge of sourness at the very end. Very mouth coating flavors, with active sweet notes tingling on the tongue long after the liquid is gone.

Sooo smooth, this just rolls around the mouth so well. Incredible mouthfeel, with the only (slight) detraction being some present alcohol toward the back of the tongue and throat. But that's just nitpicking. The fact is that this barleywine, at 6 years old, shows great aroma, depth of flavor, and mouthfeel. It's truly wonderful.

geexploitation, Dec 13, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +30.2%

A fellow beer enthusiast gave me a bottle of the 2003 edition that had been aging in his cellar for five years. Undoubtedly what I'm reviewing thus tastes slightly different from what can be expected.

The bottle I'm reviewing smells deeply malty, with a strong sherry scent, reminding me of the aroma that comes off of a hot mixture of brown sugar, butter, and vanilla.

On the tongue, there's an explosion of flavors flying at me so fast that I'm not quite sure what to latch on to. The best comparison I can make between this beer and something else would be to a fine bottle of at least fifteen-year-old port that had somehow managed to attain sherry-like flavors in the cask. Individual flavors that I pick out include raisins, caramel and toffee, maple syrup, and dark fruit esters, but even that doesn't do justice to the complexity of the palate. The hop finish for my bottle is decently strong, though nowhere near the levels that other reviewers on this site have reported--which might be due to the aging process. Mouthfeel is similar to cream, in that the beer slides almost effortlessly across the tongue, the carbonation only lightly pricking at your soft palate as it goes past.

Bottom line: quite frankly, I'm astounded by this beer, in every good way imaginable. If you like beer--and I mean *good* beer--you have to find a bottle of this. And no, I'm not telling you the name of my fellow enthusiast, because when I go over to his house tomorrow evening to steal the rest of his collection, I don't want to find that one of you have gotten to it first.

jondeelee, Aug 13, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +28.8%

Reviewed: 1-14-2009

Bottle:
10.1% ABV on neck label
10.3% ABV on main label

A: Pours with a fluffy, off-white head that fades quickly. Very clear and copper in color. A small amount of carbonation is visible.

S: The bouquet is very appealing. Citrus, pine, caramel, and ethanol come together harmoniously.

T: Both delicate and bold at the same time. The sweet maltiness is noticed immediately, followed by a distinct hop bite.

M: Full body and slightly oily. The is a fine grit to this ale as well. Very pleasing on the tongue.

D: One of my stand-by barleywine ales. This is a must-try for any barleywine fan, particularly those of the British style.

Avagadro, Jan 31, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +28.8%

12 oz bottle obtained from Norm's (DC area) in summer 2004 and consumed in Feb 2005. Bottle says "This monster was born in 2003". Pours thick and without any head...just the tiniest ring of bubbles around the glass. Mildly cloudy dark orange-brown liquid. Whoa, smells pretty good. Rich eastery fruits over chocolate, caramel and some alcohol. A bit of astringency (tannins?) and perhaps some spicey orangish hop character (would they put Hallertauer or Saaz into an English Barley Wine?...would such an aroma survive for so long?). What is that fruity I'm smelling...I've smelled it before and it's very strong here. Like an earthy apricot with winey grapes. Tastes...wow...interesting. Quite the delightful sweet fruity experience, unlike many rougher barley wines I've tried. Starts with a sour fruity flavor identical to the fruity smell that I couldn't put my finger on. Ah, I got it...I think it's vienna malt! Yes I get almost a bock caramel flavor. After that it's dry then sweet with a late (and noticable) alcohol that fits for an 11% beer. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy and the carbonation forms very fine bubbles on the whole flat of my tongue. All this is a late effect, just as a second wind of fruity sweetness rises up to make me ponder just went into this beer. The aftertaste is actually quite similar to the Dogfishhead Pumpkin ale. Some pumpkin pie spicey zing (mostly from the alcohol?), but with an interesting sweet squashing quality to it. Wow! I love it! The alcohol is a strong character in the flavor profile, but it swings from partner to partner so well that it survives each gulp as a pleasant participant. I drank a bottle of 2003 a year ago and thought it 'not good'. Now it seems to have come of age. Could be my changing pallette, but damn this was good. Less cloudy and a hair more head would have allowed me to score this beer much higher.

mentor, Feb 09, 2005