Brooklyn Monster Ale - Brooklyn Brewery

New York, United States

English Barleywine |  10.10% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Todd on 11-26-2000

ABV varies a bit year to year.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Monster Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,812 | Reviews: 1,074
3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Found some of this in the local shop and bought it. I liked it.

Poured a hazy orange with golden yellow highlights. A stream of effervescence and a thin head of tan foam that fell fast. Nose is malty and breaddy with some brown sugar. Some hop floral to really entice and a bit of spice. dark fruits like figs.

The taste was malty and breaddy. Soft with a full mouthfeel. Fruity on the back end. The carmel was lovely. There was citrus and citrus zest grass, bread, juiciness and a hoppy and drying finish with a lovely bitter. This was nectar. Good texture and a lovely drink. Why is it discontinued?

4.18/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I was able to pick uo 2 -4 pks of the 2012 vintage at a great price of $9 4pk,at Cork and Bottle.Always have liked the taste of this English Barleywine Style,ABV is always well hidden and subtle,the malt background shines on this beer.Sorry that this beer was retired By Brooklyn.Appearance has a amber color with a low head retention but typical of this style.Overall a nice beer and a good introduction to the English barleywine style.Cheers

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I got a bottle of Brooklyn Brewing's Brooklyn Monster Ale that a friend brought over to share with me. I know this was recently retired, but somehow my friend found a couple bottles and I'm interested to try it since I don't know if I'll see it again, so lets see how it goes. 2012 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, the design is pretty simple, but the shiny chrome background makes it pretty eye catching. It poured a slightly hazy darker orange color that took on more of caramel color when held to the light with a little over a fingers worth of light tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a low amount of high sweetness that's followed by the malts being the first to show up and it imparts a nice sweet malt, caramel, light toffee, and caramel malt like aromas. Up next comes the hops which have that faded hop aspect to them imparting some earthy, slightly herbal and slight grassy aromas with just a slight bit of citrus hops showing up in the background. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, I thought it had some nice balance to it.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a pretty high amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts still being the first to show up and they have that aged malty aspect to it along with all the malty aspects that I got in the aroma with caramel malts still sticking out the most. Up next comes the hops which impart all those aspects that they did in the aroma, but the this time the citrus rind hops seem to stick out a little more than the earthy and grassy hop aspects with that same faded hop aspect that I got in the aroma. On the finish there's a medium amount of bitterness along with a light boozy flavor with a citrus rind, caramel, toffee, and sweet malt like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, I thought the hoppy flavors worked well with the malt base.

M- Fairly smooth, a little rich, a little sticky, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a lighter amount of medium carbonation. I thought the mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and I thought it was an above average Barleywine, the way it is now it makes think that when this was released in 2012 that it was a very hoppy Barleywine and it might have been right on the border of being DIPA, but as it stands now the hops are faded and they are letting some real nice malty flavors come through and I think at this point right now it had pretty good balance. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little rich, a little sticky, a little filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, drinking a bottle would be no problem for me, but I think that may be my limit since it might be a little filling and rich to drink more than one and I think this would make for a good beer to enjoy during the colder months of the year. What I liked the most about this beer was how true to style it was, it had pretty much everything that I look for in a good Barleywine. What I liked the least about this beer was the bitterness, it was just a little high for the style and I wish it was toned down just a little. I would for sure buy this beer if I saw it and I think i would love to put a few of them in the cellar, I think it could keep aging well for a while. I would recommend this beer to anyone who likes the style, I think it's worth a try. All in all I was happy with this beer, I don't know how much I would like it fresh, but as it is it's a pretty enjoyable beer and I think it could keep aging for a while. I'm a little bummed that this beer is retired. This wasn't my favorite Barleywine, but it's far from the worst and I thought it was one of the better beers that I've had from this brewery. Nice job guys, I enjoyed this one and I hope it gets brewed again, keep up the good work.

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. 2012 vintage per the label "This monster ale was born in 2012". The local store just got bottles of this stuff, interestingly enough, so at long last I have acquired a bottle.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours a bright burn sienna orange / caramel colored body with just over a finger of khaki head. Some spotty lacing. Looks very nice.

S - The smell is very pleasant - caramel malt, toffee, marshmallow, herbal twiggy tea leaves / faded hop presence. Some musty earthy yeast presence is noticeable.

T - The taste follows the nose mostly - creamy toffee, caramel malt, faded herbal hop bitterness. Candied, sweet, and malty. Some yeasty caramel green apple sweetness. Tastes very nice, in my opinion. The high 10.10% abv is mellow and not very noticeable.

M - Feel is smooth & creamy. Medium bodied with solid carbonation, even after some time spent in the bottle. Sticky, mildly syrupy, and bitter. Very drinkable stuff, especially at the high abv.

Overall, I think it's delicious, and it is pretty much everything I'd hope for in a 2 year aged barleywine. I would love to get my hands on some more of this stuff, and I highly recommended it if it's still available to you.

Brooklyn Monster Ale ---4.5/5

2.38/5  rDev -36%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

12fl oz brown glass bottle with silver appealing label and branded pry-off pressure cap acquired at a local Texas bottle shop and served into an Avery stem-tulip in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are fairly high given the brewery.

Served cold. Side-poured.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours ma half finger wide off-white head. Decent thickness and creaminess. Head retention is lackluster - about 40-60 seconds. Uneven spotty lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a murky copper-brown of below average vibrance. Translucent but nontransparent. No floating yeast particles are visible. Appears adequately carbonated.

Not a great looking barleywine overall, but there are no egregious flaws.

Sm: English pale malts, marshmallow, faint toffee, faint caramel, and vague fruit. Has plenty of malty sweetness. Hop character is entirely floral. The fruit feels raw and the beer seems young (in spite of being "born in 2012."

No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

It's certainly English in character, but the aroma is far from great for a barleywine. Inoffensive. Average in strength.

T: English malts, medicinal syrupy notes, aspirin, vague fruit, overdone malty sweetness, peach, sherry, and a kiss of breadiness. Some faint caramel.

This doesn't have any of the character I search for in a good barleywine - no toffee, toasted oak, marshmallow, nuanced malting, etc. I also find it overhopped for a barleywine.

No yeast character comes through. It is a bit boozy, but I wouldn't call it hot.

Painfully simple for a barleywine, lacking nuance and subtlety. I'm just not a big fan of this kind of flavour profile in a beer of this style. Below average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour. Imbalanced. Lacks intricacy. Build isn't even cohesive, let alone gestalt.

The booze-soaked peach in particular is fairly sickening. I do get a fortified wine kind of vibe from this flavour profile. Think peach schnapps mixed with alcopop and vodka.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Has some alcohol warmth. A bit overcarbonated. Medium-bodied. Thick. Luckily, it's not syrupy. Decent presence on the palate. The texture suits the taste in a general sense.

Not astringent, gushed, harsh, or oily.

Dr: A pretty underwhelming barleywine from Brooklyn. This flavour profile just isn't doing it for me. I'm not big on these fruity boozebombs, but I'm sure this beer has its audience. A rare fluke from Brooklyn, Monster Ale is not a beer I'd purchase again. Even with plenty of age, it still feels raw and imbalanced. Doesn't hide its ABV well either.

D+

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2012 Vintage. Pours a murky dirty dishwater color with a 1/4 inch of head. Some lacing. Aromas of booze, toffee, caramel malts, raisins, and some faint spicy hops. The flavor is boozey with some raisins, caramel malts, toffee and earth. More dark fruits follow. Hints of floral and spicy hops. Pepper and spices towards the finish with some more booze and malts. Heavy mouthfeel with a good deal of carbonation. This beer is now retired so I this is probably the freshest one I'll ever have. Overall, its a decent Barleywine I may grab again if I see it.

3.4/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled in 2012. Bought it because I was looking for something I will never have again and I heard that BB is no longer producing it. Overall I liked it but I'm not saving any to drink a few years down the line.

Poured real nice, no foam. Has a nice copper-like color but a little cloudy. The most upfront taste is that of caramel but it isn not overpowering. At first sip it seems the alcohol is hidden well but the aftertaste is that of alcohol.

3.92/5  rDev +5.4%

Received as an extra in a trade. 2010 Vintage.

A - Poured into Duvel tulip a nice hazy caramel hue with a one finger lightly tan head that fades to leave thin wisps and a light halo.

S - Loads of caramel, light tea, older hops, earthiness, pears, herbal.

T - Similar to the nose. Loads of caramel, toffee, tea/herbal notes, sugars, pears. Not overly sweet nor is is boozy. This has aged very well. No weird cardboard flavours here!

M - Mouthfeel is just really, really good. Very lightly carbonated, alcohol hidden wonderfully.

O - Overall this was a very nicely done barleywine. Fresh, I really did not like this one but with 3+ years on it it is quite nice.

3.78/5  rDev +1.6%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass; 2009 vintage, bottled on 11/16/2009. Pours moderately cloudy orange amber color with a 1 finger dense cream colored head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass, with some light streaming carbonation. Aromas of caramel, raisin, plum, date, pear, apple, brown sugar, bread, light pepper, herbal, and yeast earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance and complexity of malt and fruity yeast notes; with decent strength. Taste of caramel, raisin, plum, date, pear, apple, toast, brown sugar, light pepper, herbal, and yeast earthiness. No bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of caramel, raisin, plum, date, pear, apple, brown sugar, toast, light pepper, herbal, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice balance and complexity of malt and fruity yeast ester flavors; with a nice malt/fruitiness balance and zero cloying sweetness on the finish. Light-medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a moderately slick and slightly creamy mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a light warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very good English Barleywine. All around good balance and complexity of malt and fruity ester flavors; and very smooth to sip on for the ABV. A nicely enjoyable offering.

3.49/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

The last on the shelf in Toledo; it pours from its distinctive bottle a sort of orange-red with darker red tones in the depth and some flaring brighter orange in the light. The head is small, a bubbly tan cap that settles to foam after time. That said, retention isn't bad, and there's more than a modicum of spotting left behind.
There's a whole lot of fruit, mostly the familiar dark fruits, sweet and tart and a little sour, but including overripe paler fruits. It's under a big alcoholic headiness. Both hops (mostly leafy and floral) and malts are pretty strong, but overtaken by the alcohol. It's interesting because I've always found Brooklyn's beers to be skillfully brewed, but this one seems a bit unrefined. That said, where some could have completely bombed, I wouldn't say this one goes that far off.
This beer is definitely more a sipper than most I've had. I imagine it could take a good ten years to mellow, both from the heavily fusel alcohol (though it's been tamed a little in the flavor) and the big sweetness. It's very strongly malty, and it needs to be to hold all this together. Lots of dark fruits, fruits that are more tropical than citrus but with a bit of that tang as well (though hard to reach sift through the sweetness), and caramel make up the sweetness, with lots of breadiness too. Hops are somewhat leafy and floral with maybe a little zest and possibly a spiciness, though it almost seems to come from somewhere else to make an effect like a spiced holiday cake of some kind. I don't know that any English varietals are actually used in either the hop or malt bills, but I get a familiar metallic note running underneath it all.
Not quite full-bodied, but almost, this beer has the heft to make it work well enough, and the feel may be the best part of it. It does have some smoothness and doesn't flatten out as the alcohols can sometimes cause a beer to do. The crispness stays the course, difficult work considering.

3.43/5  rDev -7.8%

First time experience with a barley wine. Bottle said was from 2012. Felt as if this would have been better aged longer was still a little hot. Poured with a thin head. Overall not bad, just nothing great. Look forward to trying the same style from other breweries.

3.42/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

The bottle said this beer was born in 2012

Pours a nice looking copper color with a small white head that soon reduces down to some lacing.

Pretty malty smell, there is also citrus, pine, and alcohol present.

Starts out sweet and fruity, then the alcohol burn sets in, leaving a bit of pine and citrus hop flavor. Bit boozy at the finish.

Feel seems a bit thin, I expected a bit more fullness considering the ABV.

Not sure if it needs some aging, but this came across as a bit harsh. The alcohol is pretty up front, and while there is flavor to it, it doesn't come together as well as I had hoped. It would be interesting to taste this after a couple years of aging, if it mellows out a bit, I think would become a really nice beer.

2.24/5  rDev -39.8%

My example was a cellared 2012.

Poured a deep copper, with a distinctive lack of head . Very light carbonation.

Smell was caramel like with strange perfume/flowery notes. Hint of oak.

Taste was too hot to comprehend. Rubbing alcohol and toasted wood, with a slight residual malt sweetness that appeared too little and too late. None of the caramel notes I detected in the smell. If I tasted this blindfolded I would have sworn it was a terrible scotch.

My bottle had very little carbonation and was much thinner than a barley wine should be. I expect a more chewy texture from this style

Compared to other examples of the style, this fell very short. Alcohol is just way too overwhelming, and the lack of malt backbone to balance it out was evident. I'm actually shocked this came out came out of Brooklyn brewery. If you encounter a bottle, do yourself a favor and avoid the temptation to try this retired brew.

3.64/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from November 2011. For reference, my notes from drinking this fresh described it as a hot, boozy mess. You won't be finding any fresh Monster anymore, so let's see how this has fared after two years.

Dark copper, guess you could call it mahogany. Not much of a head (not quite a finger tall), nor much lacing, but this is a big, malty brew so it's understandable. The big time fusel alcohol note on the nose has faded to near nothing. There's some ripe fruit and rich toffee character, but they're both fairly muted.

Booze has mellowed considerably on the palate as well. Malty sweetness amid a rich bouquet of fruity esters leads off, while there's still a touch of alcohol on the finish. Much more drinkable and also quite balanced, even dry for a barleywine. Ripe fig and date flavors. Barrel-aged barleywines have spoiled me as I find myself sorely missing the cherry and vanilla character they offer. Syrupy mouthfeel with a bit too much carbonation.

Age does Monster Ale quite a favor, turning it from a barely-drinkable mess into a solid, if unspectacular beer.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2012 Vintage

A: Pours a dark amber color with a fingernail's worth of head that slowly pushes to the edges of the glass

S: Sweet malts, a bit of fruitiness, some raisin and fig, and caramel all stand out. Alcohol is fairly restrained for being over 10%

T: Follows the nose. Starts off with the sweet maltiness. Darker fruits, raisin, fig, and a bit of spiciness are all present, as well as a well-contained alcohol presence which lends more spice and fruit

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Nearing on a fuller body

O: A nice sipper for the colder months. Definitely a bit nicer and less harsh after a year of age. Some nice complexities come out as it warms. Better snatch some up if you still see it around, because it's retired and gone for the time being

3.6/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

*Reviewed the 2012 version*

A- Nice dark cooper, bordering on purple/violet color. Head started out very nice and frothy, but receded quite a bit to just a rim around the glass. Has some big bubbles and some smaller, tighter bubbles. A swirl around the glass gets the head going again for a tiny bit. Nice legs from the 10.10% abv.

S- Very sweet! Dark fruity esters. A bit a of a bready quality. Big alcohol notes. Just big and malty.

T- Taste follows the nose perfectly. Sweet, malty, with those estery dark fruits. I mean, it is sweet! Watch out on that front. BIG ALCOHOL NOTES! This is a sipper for sure. When this warms, it is much better than cold. When warms, the beer smooths out a great deal. Some of the sweetness dies down, but the boozy character still remains. A nice bready, dark fruit character is really quite pronounced warmer.

M- Full bodied. Alcohol coats the very back of the throat nicely. Warms the palate. Interesting.

*Overall I'm not too disappointed here. The only other barleywine I've had is the Bigfoot, so not much to compare it to. This will be the one and only beer you drink if you open one of these up. It's so warming! Excellent for a night cap!

3.69/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

an opaque brown/amber in color with a finger of head which quickly dissipated. smells of booze, caramel, pecans, and a hint of banana. the flavor has a bit of oxidation, which was expected since it's from 2011.. there's a nice amount of barley and carmelized sugars, toasty and nutty with a very light feel of the alcohol.. which was surprising since it's the first thing (and overpowered) i smelled. feels a bit thin for the style, but that may be due to to the undercarbonation from being in the cellar for a few years.

a tasty beer, which was always around, and always affordable. seems like a weird decision to retire this one.. maybe they're planning on doing a seasonal barleywine from now on?

3.27/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Dark Orange red, poured with a negligible head

Smell: Smells boozy with a sweet, fruity scent coming through, the smell was profound when poured, mellowed after a minute

Taste: This beer is much easier to drink than i remember from the last time i had it, it has a year on it, and the hops and the alcohol both have mellowed out. Unfortunately, i will forever compare this beer to SN Bigfoot, which is ultimately, a far tastier beer. The taste is honestly very mild, but I'm surprised how well the alcohol is hidden. As it warms I taste more hints of rasin.

Mouthfeel: Resiny, sticky mouth feel, medium carbonation, very standard for the style.

Overall: A decent barley-wine, the flavor profile is sort of a mess for me- I have trouble finishing this one.

3.31/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Review of a 2012 vintage.

The beer comes in an amber burnt orange color.

The aroma has sweet caramel, brown sugar, toffee, a fruity ester of apple and light fruits.

The flavor has a sweet light brown sugar along with nuttiness, a bit of sugary fruit ester and then a spicy notes and a big boozey finish.

The body is medium.

A disappointing one with a mess of big flavors and booze.

3.97/5  rDev +6.7%

12oz to a snifter, 'This monster was born in 2012'

Pours a dark orange/red amber with strong carbonation stemming from the center of the glass, a half finger of foam that's died down pretty quick. Good lacing and legging, not too bad looking

Smells of roast malts, spiced vanilla, some smoke, molasses, muted hops and a nice splash of alcohol. Vanilla comes through especially strong, smells incredible

Taste is more or less with the nose- strong smoked and woody malts, spicy vanilla, sweet molasses, finished with a splash of booze. Not quite as good as the smell, not at all bad though

Feel is a creamy medium body, finishes a bit wet, mild bitterness. Alcohol is concealed pretty well, leaves a nice warm tingle though. Pretty drinkable

Overall not a bad barley wine, a little smokey though. Too bad this got retired

3.48/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Crystal clear through the body, this 2012 vintage ale had a light coppery color. The head was dirty and soapy in appearance, full of carbonation and raced away.

Dried fruit is in the nose, mostly prune with some alcohol and a hint of malt.

Once you get past the wash of alcohol and fruity acid the flavor tapers off to a nice mix of prune, date and raisin. Touches of crab Apple, molasses and caramel malt sweetness also exist but are deeply underlying.

The feel is slightly abrasive, sour and adds a bit of warmth.

Overall, I feel like this has the bones to be very good but simply did not live up to the brewers intention.

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2011 vintage

Poured dark copper, amber color. Nice two finger head for my CCB snifter. Very sweet and boozy smelling.

A malt bomb with soft, earthy and floral hop notes to balance things out. Lots of fruit upfront, along with caramel, toffee, rum, sherry, and a touch of spice. I get hints of orange peel and lemon rind here and there. There is also an earthy, almost dirty, element to it that I actually find appealing, given the style. Full-bodied and something that I would find to be filling -- one 12 ounce bottle is enough. Very smooth and a great sipper for a cool night.

This is not brewed anymore, so I am glad I was able to try it when I could. I almost forgot about this in my beer closet! It's probably right on the cusp of being ok to beginning to age a bit over the line (i.e., oxidize).

4.36/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Random 2011 four pack at Oak Hill Beverage, Scarborough ME. Was excited to see, only 7.99 to boot. Hopefully aged well.

A - poured cellar temp into a snifter, thin one finger head with some spotty large loose bubbles. Dissipated really quickly, lots of legs. Body is a very clear dark amber, ruby highlights, beautiful color. poor head retention, with no lacing to speak of.

S - pungent nose of alcohol, tarp, raisin, lots of caramel malt notes, toffee, burnt sugar, rum, just loads of overall sweetness.

T - taste is very, very smooth for the gravity, the years of age has served this brew well. Mild malt sweetness with fruity, raisin, caramel and toffee notes, slight tarp or musty character, and a more than ample bitter finish. The flavoring hops either were never prevalent or just fell off, however the finishing hop bitterness is more than ample to balance out the very sweet malt character.

M - for what it is the mouth feel is pretty light, alright syrupy character. Alcohol warming can be felt, although alcohol is absence or at least blends in really well with the flavor.

O - from the nose, I was afraid of this being too cloying, but not the case. Ample bitterness in the finish makes this superb. The only negative is the head retention which I can understand with the abv, but the color is clear as anything and just beautiful. This aged very well, not that I've had a fresh one, regardless in its present state this is very smooth and enjoyable.

4.48/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours the color of good wild honey (not that super light tasteless stuff) with a monster head from the aggressive pour. At least 3" of off-white creaminess. Decent retention but no lace of which to speak. It says IPA to my eye but not believing it.
Smell is seriously malty with a solid whiskey/rum note (a la a good fruitcake) followed by dark and light fruits soaked in that alcohol blend. If there is hops here, my nose can't find them, and I'm good with that. Wait, found them, floral and very complementary.
Taste is malt, rum, dark fruits, light hops. Awesome, truly.
Rich like Bill Gates, smooth like Marvin Gaye, warming like hot apple pie straight from grandma's oven, full-bodied like Pavarotti. I am seriously pissed I only have one of these and they aren't making any more. Snoozed and nearly lost.

3.45/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Monster Ale 2012
Brooklyn
20130810
12oz to modern pint
10.1% ABV

A – A crystal clear slightly dark amber with some red, and translucent of course. Rocky, foamy khaki head.

S – Hops, alcohol, and earth. Grass, flowers, and melon from the hops. The earth is made up of musty wood and nut. I think the melon is cantaloupe and some pear, light smells both. Considering it is 10.1% ABV, it’s not outrageous that the alcohol is so upfront.

T – Alcohol is pretty strong but soft. Definitely a lot of earth tastes. Not so much fruit, but a little bit of floralness. A get a kind of sweet, musty woody, nutty taste. As it warms some melon comes out, as does the alcohol, even more so.

M – A heavy-medium body, tingly and a little bitey from carbonation and alcohol, respectively. Dry finish that’s good except for some lingering alcohol feeling in the upper mouth. As it warms, the alcohol strengthens, but it’s a soft, warm alcohol, not a very biting feeling. You know it’s there, but it’s kind of gentle.

D – It’s drinkable, but there are better beers and barleywines. I see it as a gateway to barleywines for people who like Belgian styles perhaps. One most also be ready to experience some degree of alcohol. With the beer’s retirement, not many future craft enthusiasts will get to try it. But I think the bottles of the last year will age decently, and if they mellow, this might get a bit more gentle and interesting.
4, 3.25, 3.5, 3.25, 3.5; ~3.4.

Brooklyn Monster Ale from Brooklyn Brewery