Brooklyn Monster Ale - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

English Barleywine |  10.10% ABV

Availability: Fall

ABV varies a bit year to year.

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-26-2000)
View: Beers (70) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Monster Ale Alström Bros
CraftMe14

Kentucky

2.75/5  rDev -25.9%

05-12-2014 22:59:59 | More by CraftMe14
GeoffreyM

05-08-2014 14:16:01 | More by GeoffreyM
StoutHunter

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I got a bottle of Brooklyn Brewing's Brooklyn Monster Ale that a friend brought over to share with me. I know this was recently retired, but somehow my friend found a couple bottles and I'm interested to try it since I don't know if I'll see it again, so lets see how it goes. 2012 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, the design is pretty simple, but the shiny chrome background makes it pretty eye catching. It poured a slightly hazy darker orange color that took on more of caramel color when held to the light with a little over a fingers worth of light tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a low amount of high sweetness that's followed by the malts being the first to show up and it imparts a nice sweet malt, caramel, light toffee, and caramel malt like aromas. Up next comes the hops which have that faded hop aspect to them imparting some earthy, slightly herbal and slight grassy aromas with just a slight bit of citrus hops showing up in the background. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, I thought it had some nice balance to it.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a pretty high amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts still being the first to show up and they have that aged malty aspect to it along with all the malty aspects that I got in the aroma with caramel malts still sticking out the most. Up next comes the hops which impart all those aspects that they did in the aroma, but the this time the citrus rind hops seem to stick out a little more than the earthy and grassy hop aspects with that same faded hop aspect that I got in the aroma. On the finish there's a medium amount of bitterness along with a light boozy flavor with a citrus rind, caramel, toffee, and sweet malt like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, I thought the hoppy flavors worked well with the malt base.

M- Fairly smooth, a little rich, a little sticky, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a lighter amount of medium carbonation. I thought the mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and I thought it was an above average Barleywine, the way it is now it makes think that when this was released in 2012 that it was a very hoppy Barleywine and it might have been right on the border of being DIPA, but as it stands now the hops are faded and they are letting some real nice malty flavors come through and I think at this point right now it had pretty good balance. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little rich, a little sticky, a little filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, drinking a bottle would be no problem for me, but I think that may be my limit since it might be a little filling and rich to drink more than one and I think this would make for a good beer to enjoy during the colder months of the year. What I liked the most about this beer was how true to style it was, it had pretty much everything that I look for in a good Barleywine. What I liked the least about this beer was the bitterness, it was just a little high for the style and I wish it was toned down just a little. I would for sure buy this beer if I saw it and I think i would love to put a few of them in the cellar, I think it could keep aging well for a while. I would recommend this beer to anyone who likes the style, I think it's worth a try. All in all I was happy with this beer, I don't know how much I would like it fresh, but as it is it's a pretty enjoyable beer and I think it could keep aging for a while. I'm a little bummed that this beer is retired. This wasn't my favorite Barleywine, but it's far from the worst and I thought it was one of the better beers that I've had from this brewery. Nice job guys, I enjoyed this one and I hope it gets brewed again, keep up the good work.

05-06-2014 03:47:45 | More by StoutHunter

mbeerdino21

04-25-2014 22:22:53 | More by mbeerdino21
mfnmbvp

4.38/5  rDev +18.1%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. 2012 vintage per the label "This monster ale was born in 2012". The local store just got bottles of this stuff, interestingly enough, so at long last I have acquired a bottle.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours a bright burn sienna orange / caramel colored body with just over a finger of khaki head. Some spotty lacing. Looks very nice.

S - The smell is very pleasant - caramel malt, toffee, marshmallow, herbal twiggy tea leaves / faded hop presence. Some musty earthy yeast presence is noticeable.

T - The taste follows the nose mostly - creamy toffee, caramel malt, faded herbal hop bitterness. Candied, sweet, and malty. Some yeasty caramel green apple sweetness. Tastes very nice, in my opinion. The high 10.10% abv is mellow and not very noticeable.

M - Feel is smooth & creamy. Medium bodied with solid carbonation, even after some time spent in the bottle. Sticky, mildly syrupy, and bitter. Very drinkable stuff, especially at the high abv.

Overall, I think it's delicious, and it is pretty much everything I'd hope for in a 2 year aged barleywine. I would love to get my hands on some more of this stuff, and I highly recommended it if it's still available to you.

Brooklyn Monster Ale ---4.5/5

Georgia

03-03-2014 13:37:46 | More by kushlash23
kojevergas

2.36/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

12fl oz brown glass bottle with silver appealing label and branded pry-off pressure cap acquired at a local Texas bottle shop and served into an Avery stem-tulip in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are fairly high given the brewery.

Served cold. Side-poured.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours ma half finger wide off-white head. Decent thickness and creaminess. Head retention is lackluster - about 40-60 seconds. Uneven spotty lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a murky copper-brown of below average vibrance. Translucent but nontransparent. No floating yeast particles are visible. Appears adequately carbonated.

Not a great looking barleywine overall, but there are no egregious flaws.

Sm: English pale malts, marshmallow, faint toffee, faint caramel, and vague fruit. Has plenty of malty sweetness. Hop character is entirely floral. The fruit feels raw and the beer seems young (in spite of being "born in 2012."

No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

It's certainly English in character, but the aroma is far from great for a barleywine. Inoffensive. Average in strength.

T: English malts, medicinal syrupy notes, aspirin, vague fruit, overdone malty sweetness, peach, sherry, and a kiss of breadiness. Some faint caramel.

This doesn't have any of the character I search for in a good barleywine - no toffee, toasted oak, marshmallow, nuanced malting, etc. I also find it overhopped for a barleywine.

No yeast character comes through. It is a bit boozy, but I wouldn't call it hot.

Painfully simple for a barleywine, lacking nuance and subtlety. I'm just not a big fan of this kind of flavour profile in a beer of this style. Below average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour. Imbalanced. Lacks intricacy. Build isn't even cohesive, let alone gestalt.

The booze-soaked peach in particular is fairly sickening. I do get a fortified wine kind of vibe from this flavour profile. Think peach schnapps mixed with alcopop and vodka.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Has some alcohol warmth. A bit overcarbonated. Medium-bodied. Thick. Luckily, it's not syrupy. Decent presence on the palate. The texture suits the taste in a general sense.

Not astringent, gushed, harsh, or oily.

Dr: A pretty underwhelming barleywine from Brooklyn. This flavour profile just isn't doing it for me. I'm not big on these fruity boozebombs, but I'm sure this beer has its audience. A rare fluke from Brooklyn, Monster Ale is not a beer I'd purchase again. Even with plenty of age, it still feels raw and imbalanced. Doesn't hide its ABV well either.

D+

02-28-2014 08:51:41 | More by kojevergas
PicoPapa

Connecticut

3.86/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2012 Vintage. Pours a murky dirty dishwater color with a 1/4 inch of head. Some lacing. Aromas of booze, toffee, caramel malts, raisins, and some faint spicy hops. The flavor is boozey with some raisins, caramel malts, toffee and earth. More dark fruits follow. Hints of floral and spicy hops. Pepper and spices towards the finish with some more booze and malts. Heavy mouthfeel with a good deal of carbonation. This beer is now retired so I this is probably the freshest one I'll ever have. Overall, its a decent Barleywine I may grab again if I see it.

02-28-2014 02:22:53 | More by PicoPapa

KolbMarley

02-22-2014 17:19:52 | More by KolbMarley
rubygttlb

3.41/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled in 2012. Bought it because I was looking for something I will never have again and I heard that BB is no longer producing it. Overall I liked it but I'm not saving any to drink a few years down the line.

Poured real nice, no foam. Has a nice copper-like color but a little cloudy. The most upfront taste is that of caramel but it isn not overpowering. At first sip it seems the alcohol is hidden well but the aftertaste is that of alcohol.

02-22-2014 01:42:51 | More by rubygttlb