Brooklyn Monster Ale - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

English Barleywine |  10.10% ABV

Availability: Fall

ABV varies a bit year to year.

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-26-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Monster Ale Alström Bros

moscow2042, Jul 17, 2014

smartassboiler, Jun 30, 2014

innominat, Jun 27, 2014
3.89/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This bottle was "born in 2011" and poured into a tulip glass.

A- Medium garnet medium clarity small off-white head that dissipated quickly.

S- Lots of sweet malts, raisins noticeable alcohol smell but not too much.

T- Not as sweet as I thought it would be, the alcohol comes out more but their is no real warming in the throat, it's mostly on the tongue. Got a bit unpleasant yeast bitterness on the finish.

M- Not too thick, pretty nice.

O- I picked a bottle of this up because I know they stopped brewing it. A pretty good barleywine for the price, although Bigfoot is a better option. Glad I tried it and thought the aroma was great.

PaulyB83, Jun 24, 2014
3.86/5  rDev +4%

Found some of this in the local shop and bought it. I liked it.

Poured a hazy orange with golden yellow highlights. A stream of effervescence and a thin head of tan foam that fell fast. Nose is malty and breaddy with some brown sugar. Some hop floral to really entice and a bit of spice. dark fruits like figs.

The taste was malty and breaddy. Soft with a full mouthfeel. Fruity on the back end. The carmel was lovely. There was citrus and citrus zest grass, bread, juiciness and a hoppy and drying finish with a lovely bitter. This was nectar. Good texture and a lovely drink. Why is it discontinued?

utopiajane, Jun 23, 2014

AGust82, Jun 23, 2014

Sinfull, Jun 20, 2014

tykechandler, Jun 19, 2014
4.19/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I was able to pick uo 2 -4 pks of the 2012 vintage at a great price of $9 4pk,at Cork and Bottle.Always have liked the taste of this English Barleywine Style,ABV is always well hidden and subtle,the malt background shines on this beer.Sorry that this beer was retired By Brooklyn.Appearance has a amber color with a low head retention but typical of this style.Overall a nice beer and a good introduction to the English barleywine style.Cheers

Vonstein15, Jun 17, 2014

2.75/5  rDev -25.9%

CraftMe14, May 12, 2014

GeoffreyM, May 08, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I got a bottle of Brooklyn Brewing's Brooklyn Monster Ale that a friend brought over to share with me. I know this was recently retired, but somehow my friend found a couple bottles and I'm interested to try it since I don't know if I'll see it again, so lets see how it goes. 2012 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, the design is pretty simple, but the shiny chrome background makes it pretty eye catching. It poured a slightly hazy darker orange color that took on more of caramel color when held to the light with a little over a fingers worth of light tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a low amount of high sweetness that's followed by the malts being the first to show up and it imparts a nice sweet malt, caramel, light toffee, and caramel malt like aromas. Up next comes the hops which have that faded hop aspect to them imparting some earthy, slightly herbal and slight grassy aromas with just a slight bit of citrus hops showing up in the background. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, I thought it had some nice balance to it.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a pretty high amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts still being the first to show up and they have that aged malty aspect to it along with all the malty aspects that I got in the aroma with caramel malts still sticking out the most. Up next comes the hops which impart all those aspects that they did in the aroma, but the this time the citrus rind hops seem to stick out a little more than the earthy and grassy hop aspects with that same faded hop aspect that I got in the aroma. On the finish there's a medium amount of bitterness along with a light boozy flavor with a citrus rind, caramel, toffee, and sweet malt like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, I thought the hoppy flavors worked well with the malt base.

M- Fairly smooth, a little rich, a little sticky, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a lighter amount of medium carbonation. I thought the mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and I thought it was an above average Barleywine, the way it is now it makes think that when this was released in 2012 that it was a very hoppy Barleywine and it might have been right on the border of being DIPA, but as it stands now the hops are faded and they are letting some real nice malty flavors come through and I think at this point right now it had pretty good balance. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little rich, a little sticky, a little filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, drinking a bottle would be no problem for me, but I think that may be my limit since it might be a little filling and rich to drink more than one and I think this would make for a good beer to enjoy during the colder months of the year. What I liked the most about this beer was how true to style it was, it had pretty much everything that I look for in a good Barleywine. What I liked the least about this beer was the bitterness, it was just a little high for the style and I wish it was toned down just a little. I would for sure buy this beer if I saw it and I think i would love to put a few of them in the cellar, I think it could keep aging well for a while. I would recommend this beer to anyone who likes the style, I think it's worth a try. All in all I was happy with this beer, I don't know how much I would like it fresh, but as it is it's a pretty enjoyable beer and I think it could keep aging for a while. I'm a little bummed that this beer is retired. This wasn't my favorite Barleywine, but it's far from the worst and I thought it was one of the better beers that I've had from this brewery. Nice job guys, I enjoyed this one and I hope it gets brewed again, keep up the good work.

StoutHunter, May 06, 2014