Brooklyn Blast! - Brooklyn Brewery

rAvg: 4
pDev: 11%
Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: ommegangpbr on 09-15-2005)
3.8/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours hazy orange amber with a medium off white head. Aroma is sweet caramel malt, sugary alcohol notes, yeast, mild citrus. Taste same as aroma with some mild bitterness. Palate is a med to full body, mild carbonation. Finish is sweet caramel malt, yeast, citrus orange notes, mild herbal earthy hops bitterness, slightly dry ending with sweet alcohol. Overall seems a bit subdued on the hops but still a good drinking and easy on the palate brew.

Samp01, Yesterday at 06:42 PM

StephRai, Saturday at 05:32 AM
4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Rothobinide, Friday at 09:40 PM
4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

Serving: 12 oz bottle poured into an IPA glass.

Appearance: Pale, hazy gold. Tall, dense and lasting white head with good lacing.

Smell: Malty, sweet caramel with earthy layers, citrus and pine.

Taste: Full and malty, sweet caramel and molasses; balanced by plenty of resinous hop character, but without overt bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Full body, slightly oily feel, and good, moderate carbonation.

Overall: A full bodied DIPA with nice balance between earthier Old World hops and malt and brighter West Coast hops.

HipCzech, Sep 25, 2014
4.04/5  rDev +1%

rkf1976, Sep 23, 2014
4.35/5  rDev +8.7%

wonothesane42, Sep 22, 2014
4/5  rDev 0%

ssoulf, Sep 21, 2014
4.18/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

hophugger, Sep 21, 2014

Houser, Sep 20, 2014

memphischas, Sep 19, 2014
4.56/5  rDev +14%

Mikefriedman90, Sep 19, 2014

Hallitaway, Sep 18, 2014
4/5  rDev 0%

This one is a thick orange color that is actually quite clear but for the darkness of it. There's just a bit of head lingering, the same of which could be said for the very light lacing it achieves.
The first thing that hits me is that this is one of the juiciest beers I've ever had. It's extremely jammy, like certain red wines but more of a tropical and citrus fruit jam. It's like marmalade a but less sugary and more zesty, not exactly tart. The fruits bring all kinds of bitterness but almost seem somehow to balance themselves, though there is enough malt to round it out.
The body is medium, even leaning close to full, and the jasmines translates to the feel. It's plenty crisp and has a smooth flow even as it's body keeps even between sweet and dry.

Brenden, Sep 18, 2014
3.4/5  rDev -15%

I picked up a bottle of Brooklyn Brewery's Brooklyn Blast! last week for $2.79 at The Lager Mill. I've been hitting the Fall seasonals pretty hard lately and I thought I would take a break from them with a DIPA that i haven't had before, I'm interested to see how this one turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks looks nice, it's got a clean and classy look to it, I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a very murky golden orange color that took on more of a darker orange color when held to the light with a little over a fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a pretty higher amount of medium sweetness that has a nice candied like aroma to it with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a nice fruity hops aroma with a nice citrus rind aroma sticking out the most, but there's also some floral and light green onion like hop aromas showing up in the background. Up next comes the malts which impart a caramel malt, sweet malt, caramel and light toffee like aromas. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, but I could have gone without the light green onion like aspect.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but it's lighter and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops still being the first to show up and they impart a much lighter version of how they showed up in the aroma and this time no single aspect sticks out the most. Up next comes the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma and they are at about the same level, but this time there's a light grainy flavors.. On the finish there's a medium amount of bitterness that doesn't really linger and it has a sweet malt, citrus rind and light green onion like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting DIPA, but it wasn't as intense as it lead me to believe.

M- Smooth, fairly crisp, slightly sticky, a little watery, alcohol was well hidden, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The beer had a nice mouthfeel, but it would be a little better if it didn't feel a little watery.

Overall I thought this was nice beer and I thought it was a slightly above average example of the style, it was going gong the direction of a pretty good DIPA, but when I got to the taste, things started to lighten up a little and it just wasn't as intense as I hoped it would be. This beer had decent drinkability, it was smooth, fairly crisp, slightly sticky, a little watery, alcohol was well hidden, it wasn't too filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, I think one is enough for me, there's nothing that makes me want to come right back for more. What I like the most about this beer was aroma the and appearance, they were both pretty nice and what I would expect from the style. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and mouthfeel, they were both just a little lighter than I would want. I don't think I would buy this beer again, but I wouldn't turn it down. I can't say I would recommend it as a great DIPA, but it's worth trying to see how you feel about it. All in all I'm glad I tried this beer, but it didn't blow me away by any means and in most aspects it seemed to be fairly average for the style. This isn't my favorite beer from this brewery and it's far from being a favorite DIPA. I appreciate the effort, but i think with just a little work this could be a pretty good DIPA, better luck next time guys.

StoutHunter, Sep 17, 2014