Brooklyn Blast! - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Blast!Brooklyn Blast!

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: ommegangpbr on 09-15-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Blast! Alström Bros
Reviews: 349 | Hads: 1,634
2.14/5  rDev -46.9%

I was disappointed with this offering. Quite surprising. I'm not getting the citrusy american hops they are touting at all. Its not a bad beer but it doesn't quite add up to a double IPA.

2.17/5  rDev -46.2%

First up, I've never really appreciated their style. And this one is no exception.
Appearance is orange with scattered white lace.
Sweet, herbal, malt extract smell.
Taste is big and malty. An earthy, bitter "Blast!"
Spicy heat. Herbal. Rough.
Mouthfeel is corse, slick.
Drinkability is poor, tough to power down.

2.61/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Light burnt orange with a thin, leggy head. Malt comes heavier than hops.

Candy flavored malts with earthy hops. Bready and hints of caramel. Some citrus is present that plays nicely off of the malts. The hops are subdued to me -- maybe I am drinking this well beyond the best Drink By date. From what I can decipher from the bottle, it was bottle at some point in February -- so about two months ago. With that in mind, it might not be the freshest sample but at the same time, the IBUs should carry this a bit farther than it is has currently traveled.

At any rate, there is a tea-like quality buried amongst the earth. The citrus note is more of an orange peel flavor. It's okay, but a bit muddled. I'm fine with the English hops but the bitterness is clashing somewhere with the malts and the malt is overpowering. Unbalanced. Medium-full bodied.

I felt like this drank like a light, English barleywine rather than a DIPA, and a not-so-good barleywine at that. I didn't care for this at all.

2.79/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

L - Pours a clear light orange/straw with a small head that fades quickly.
S - Faint malty aroma.
T - Alcohol burn, slight maltiness and no hops.
F - Medium-ish.
O - It's like a homebrew misfire. I'm a fan of BB so this is a big disappointment. I'll chalk it up to a bad batch (best by Sept 2015)

2.86/5  rDev -29%

Light amber with a head that dissipates quickly to lace.

Very hoppy with banana and clove on the nose.

It's hops without a malt backbone. Slightly astringent. Tastes like pine. It's almost like biting into a tree.

For me, this is not terribly drinkable. It suffers from the overt pine and alcohol burn. I'm not finding this pleasant to drink. This beer would pair well with satay.

2.97/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with generally appealing label art acquired at a local bottle shop and served into a conical Pinthouse Pizza pint glass in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the beer's current 91 rating as well as the brewery - which I really respect. 8.4% ABV confirmed. Reviewed as an IPA since the description on the label's neck clearly refers to it as such.

Served cold - straight from a quick stint in the freezer. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a two finger wide head of white colour. Disappointingly thin. Not much creaminess or frothiness here. Has a decent complexion and consistency. Head retention is pretty good - about 4-5 minutes. Lacing coats the sides of the glass when I tilt it, but little of it sticks.

Body colour is a clear translucent textbook copper of average vibrance. Clean; no yeast particles or sediment is/are visible. Appears adequately carbonated.

Overall, it looks like a pretty standard IPA. There are no obvious flaws. It's not unique or special, but I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Caramalt, biscuit malt, English pale malts, floral hop character, light herbal hop character, and a kiss of pine. This isn't the grapefruit resin explosion of most American IPAs, and I appreciate that. Lightly bready. Sweetness/bitterness balance seems en pointe.

Clean; no yeast character, alcohol, or other off notes are detectable.

A pleasant if timid aroma of average strength.

The caramalt presence intensifies as it warms.

T: English biscuit and pale malts dominate the malt profile, with some caramalt in there too. Light hints of toffee and bread. Unfortunately, there's some soapy character - indicative that the beer spent too long in primary. Hopwise, I get floral hops, light herbal character, a kiss of pine, a touch of resinous character, and some Czech-y noble hop character (think Saaz). Lime.

The flavour profile isn't all that balanced - even in terms of sweetness/bitterness, and there isn't a whole lot of hop flavour here. I respect the choice not to go with your typical American hop profile, but this doesn't offer a lot in its place. Below average depth and intensity of flavour. Average duration of flavour. Build lacks cohesion. It's not nuanced, complex, intricate, or subtle.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Aside from the soapiness, there are no off flavours except maybe a hint of diacetyl.

Mf: Overcarbonated. Lightly coarse and wet. Medium-bodied. Unrefreshing. Too thick and weighty on the palate for its lack of diverse and/or deep flavours. Filling. Decent presence on the palate.

Not gushed, oily, hot, boozy, astringent, or harsh.

Overall, the texture doesn't suit the flavour profile or style particularly well.

Dr: A very disappointing IPA from Brooklyn. Maybe it's a freshness issue? I wouldn't recommend this to friends, but I plan on revisiting it because I fear I might have gotten an old bottle or something. It's not the easiest beer to drink if only because it isn't a high quality one. I've had losers from Brooklyn (e.g. Monster) but this feels off; take this review with a grain of salt.

2.99/5  rDev -25.8%

Not gonna waste much time on this one:

A: Clear, golden

S: Not what I've come to expect from modern-day DIPAs. Tons of bready, biscuity malt notes fighting to suppress the mild, citrusy hop bouquet.

T: Very sweet/malty for a DIPA. It has a definite English malt characteristic with some citrusy, piney hops sprinkled into the finish.

M: Slick and medium-bodied. I would love the mouthfeel for the style if the carbonation was a lot higher to help accentuate the hops...very little carbonation in this one.

O: More hops, please!

3.02/5  rDev -25.1%

A - Poured from a tap into a 12 oz glass. Cloudy and dark golden, with a slight foam on top. No head noticeable.

S - Smells very earthy and floral with hints of berry. Quite pleasant.

T - Very earthy up front. Bitterness in the finish. Tastes slightly resiny from the hops. Floral notes also linger in the finish.

M - Medium body and a slightly resiny texture. Nothing particularly notable.

D - The earthy flavors dominate things a bit too much. One glass was interesting, but I doubt I'd go back for another.

3.06/5  rDev -24.1%

I had this at the Brooklyn Brewery's happy hour. That thing is a shitshow.

Honey colored with a fair white head. Good retention and lace. One of the better looking beers I've ever had in a plastic cup, for what that's worth.

Sharp, prickly, pineapple citrus hop aroma and corresponding taste. Thin, bready malt with a bitter, dry finish. Pretty eh.

On draft at Twenty Tap

Pours hazy dark straw with a soapy white head and excellent retention and lacing.

Maybe I'm just in a NY state of mind, but the aroma reminds me of a higher ABV Flower Power. Big floral presence that came out more as it warmed along with a citrus undertone with notes of grass as well.

Alas the taste isn't nearly as pleasant. The floral notes which I enjoy in small doses are way too heavy on this creating that soapy flavor. Also the grassy notes cause a slight astringency which doesn't help matters. A little citrus peaks through, but for the most part isn't nearly as prevalent as I'd like.

Medium on the mouthfeel side and a bit too much for the current heat, but not a detriment. Carbonation is moderate.

An off-balanced mess for me disappointing after the appearance and smell got my hopes up. Not horrible, but much better examples of the style are easily available so I doubt I'll go back to this one.

3.18/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This beer just didn't do it for me. Lots of malt sweetness and not a lot of hop smell or taste. Even for an East Coast IIPA, just not on par with others in the style.

3.18/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

A: a golden body with a white head. Nice retention and decent lace

S: Lightly toasted and mildly sweet pilsner malts. A mild sense of citrus hops. There was also a mild minty quality to it.

T: Very well balanced. Malts had a nice toasted bread like quality. There was a subtle sweetness from it. Hops were all citrus hops.

M: Seemed very light on the palate. It was very easy to drink. The carbonation was appropriate.

O: The beer overall was good. The pilsner malts were a nice change from the caramel malts. I was happy the citrus hops were not overdone. I am not a big fan of citrus hops. It seemed really easy to drink and the alcohol was well hidden.

3.22/5  rDev -20.1%

Hazy yellow gold color with a frothy white head. Aroma of lemony hops and a hint of yeast. The flavor was predominantly a mild earthy, lemony hop character with some light cracker-like malt behind it. Medium body with more bittering hop finish than flavor. Pretty good drinkability, but for the category it purports to occupy, I found it a bit lackluster. The bartender consoled me thus: "It's more like a British double IPA." That would probably make Garret proud, but it tasted like a good regular American IPA from the mid 1990's, and well, if you haven't noticed - things have changed since then.

3.22/5  rDev -20.1%

A thin, off-white head o'ertops briefly a clear light golden beer, and retreats to a thin ring and skimmy head.

Smell is grass and lemon zest, make that Lemon Pledge, make that lemon drops. Some yeasty tart is what changes the hop to lemon drop, with light amount of herbalish bitter along the way in the scent as I sip.

Grass, grainy sweet, lemon drops,orange zest, and a grassy, herbalistic end of sip. Alcohol heat enters the mix as it warms, not in a good way.

Nicely low carb., but too viscous, not clean, harsh finish,.

Had high hopes, dashed on the rocks of reality, another disappointing beer I cannot recommend.

3.31/5  rDev -17.9%

I had on draft into a tulip at Local Option...Gold appearance and light white head...The aroma is blast of floral citrus, but the majority is the floral, almost too much, I need a break from the perfume...The taste is more of the same to me a floral citrus blend that I just do not care for, too strong.

Unless you love floral hops, its not for you.

3.39/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Seems like kind of an odd duck - like there was something more going on here, but the show's over. Aroma is oxidized hop, woodsy, caramel. Flavor's like nose, overly sweet. Overall ok

3.4/5  rDev -15.6%

I picked up a bottle of Brooklyn Brewery's Brooklyn Blast! last week for $2.79 at The Lager Mill. I've been hitting the Fall seasonals pretty hard lately and I thought I would take a break from them with a DIPA that i haven't had before, I'm interested to see how this one turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks looks nice, it's got a clean and classy look to it, I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a very murky golden orange color that took on more of a darker orange color when held to the light with a little over a fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a pretty higher amount of medium sweetness that has a nice candied like aroma to it with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a nice fruity hops aroma with a nice citrus rind aroma sticking out the most, but there's also some floral and light green onion like hop aromas showing up in the background. Up next comes the malts which impart a caramel malt, sweet malt, caramel and light toffee like aromas. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, but I could have gone without the light green onion like aspect.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but it's lighter and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops still being the first to show up and they impart a much lighter version of how they showed up in the aroma and this time no single aspect sticks out the most. Up next comes the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma and they are at about the same level, but this time there's a light grainy flavors.. On the finish there's a medium amount of bitterness that doesn't really linger and it has a sweet malt, citrus rind and light green onion like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting DIPA, but it wasn't as intense as it lead me to believe.

M- Smooth, fairly crisp, slightly sticky, a little watery, alcohol was well hidden, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The beer had a nice mouthfeel, but it would be a little better if it didn't feel a little watery.

Overall I thought this was nice beer and I thought it was a slightly above average example of the style, it was going gong the direction of a pretty good DIPA, but when I got to the taste, things started to lighten up a little and it just wasn't as intense as I hoped it would be. This beer had decent drinkability, it was smooth, fairly crisp, slightly sticky, a little watery, alcohol was well hidden, it wasn't too filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, I think one is enough for me, there's nothing that makes me want to come right back for more. What I like the most about this beer was aroma the and appearance, they were both pretty nice and what I would expect from the style. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and mouthfeel, they were both just a little lighter than I would want. I don't think I would buy this beer again, but I wouldn't turn it down. I can't say I would recommend it as a great DIPA, but it's worth trying to see how you feel about it. All in all I'm glad I tried this beer, but it didn't blow me away by any means and in most aspects it seemed to be fairly average for the style. This isn't my favorite beer from this brewery and it's far from being a favorite DIPA. I appreciate the effort, but i think with just a little work this could be a pretty good DIPA, better luck next time guys.

3.41/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours a hazy orange-ish color with a white head. In the aroma, a small hop, yet very mellow. In the taste, small pine hops and a citrus hop end, and quite malty all the way through. A small hop bite and a medium to bigger bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry pine like aftertaste. A nice hop, a bit malty, hides the alcohol, and average beer.

3.42/5  rDev -15.1%

Reviewed from notes; originally 6/3/11.

A-Served in a shaker pint with a very clear light amber color with no discernible head.

S-Smells of pine sap and grapefruit with some orange.

T-Juicy grapefruit upfront wit a bit of bitter pine and light caramel malt notes.

M-A little thin for what the brewery is calling a Double Pale Ale with prickly carbonation and a dry feel.

D-Not difficult to drink at all, but I was expecting a little more complexity from this one.

3.45/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from Gary's
Pours a slightly hazy deep straw color with a decent sized creamy bubbly white head that slowly dissipates. Aromas of orange, earth. pine, and resin with a solid light sweet sugary maltiness to back it up. The flavor is quite sweet like the aroma suggested with sweet sugar covered oranges and apricots. The earthy pine is less prevalent in the flavor as is the bitterness. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation. Its got some nice flavors and I'm guessing most of the fruit flavors might be hop derived. Needs more attenuation and more bitterness.

3.45/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

355ml Bottle from Good Spirits Co, Glasgow (£4.80):
This was a beer that started out really well for me, there was a lot of tropical fruits on the nose and plenty of hops too but when it came to the taste I felt it was all over the place with too much sourness and the hops being overpowered by the apricot and citrus flavours. The beer still remained drinkable but it was a real let down after smelling the beer, the balance seemingly off a little and a body that felt over-carbonated into the bargain.

3.49/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy with an orange hue. Apricot is the main aroma I picked up. This one seemed promising enough at first, but on each successive sip a bit of a cloying tartness builds. The taste reminds me of the dried whole apricots from the grocery store that have a dry and slightly chalky aftertaste.
This is a strange one. The IPA label seems to be a misnomer but it's not a bad beer.

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

Some thoughts:
- Brooklyn Blast is a bit deceiving. Based on the labeling you would think that this a big hop monster, but no such case. The "blast" comes from the hop bursting technique they used.
- I would not classify this as a Double IPA, the iBUs are too low.
- The selection of hops for the hop burst does not seem to have a theme. Why the Sorachi Ace?
- The taste of this beer, leads one to think they should of made used wheat and flipped this into a wheat IPA with all the higher carbonation and banana yeast flavors. Not sure why they chose bready, biscuit English malts for this.
- There is potential for a real blast, but this "IPA" is no Saturn V.

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

On tap at the Drafting Room in Exton yesterday.

The beer pours an orange amber color with good head retention and lacing. On the nose I get considerable orange citrus, but there's maraschino cherry there as well. While it's attractive, it's also the first tip off as to what I'm going to get on the palate. On the palate, this is without doubt the sweetest DIPA I've ever tasted. There's considerable underlying bitterness as well, but the sweet, exotic fruitiness in this beer really dominates. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, albeit there's plenty of flavor in this beer. The considerable amount of sweetness, coupled with the alcohol, really detract from this beer's drinkability. I had a 5 ounce sample size of this beer and could barely finish that. I cannot imagine trying to drink a pint on this.

3.52/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap.
Deep Amber body with an OK head but persistent visible carbonation.

Bready and hoppy aroma.

The flavor has a subdued citrus hop blast; subdued by the very generous load of sweet and medium roasted malts. Unusually sweet for style, although the bitterness is more pronounced.in the finish.

Lightly syrupy, medium+ body. Medium-low carbonation.

O: very flavorful but surprisingly sweet for style. An attempt at a Brooklyn Hopslam?

Brooklyn Blast! from Brooklyn Brewery