Brooklyn Blast! - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Blast!Brooklyn Blast!

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: ommegangpbr on 09-15-2005)

BeerMe42, Nov 15, 2011

PBoegel, Nov 14, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

bpfrush, Nov 14, 2011

whartontallboy, Nov 14, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +6%

Served in a Tulip at Cloverleaf Tavern.

Orange hazy body, cream colored head, nice sticky lacing.

Smells citrusy and fruity with a blast of NW hops and also full of clean pale European malts.

Taste is bitter, resiny, sticky, citrusy, piney, and also slightly sweet with the European malts and 1098 yeast strain that accentuates those malts. Mouthfeel is moderate and creamy with moderate carbonation.

Love this beer. Wish it was labeled as a Double IPA though and made more available.

I would've ranked this higher a year ago. A very true statement was made in a below review...

"I didn’t think this beer was still being brewed so I wonder how old it is because the hop profile seemed lighter than than when I had it a year ago."

aficionado, Nov 06, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +10.5%

Had on tap at the brewery. Served in a plastic cup..ugh. clear orange color with great retention and lacing-despite the plastic.

Smell is hop forward wonderful grapefruit and other fruits. Smells delicious.

Taste is very good, hop forward with significant malt to balance. Hops and fruit in the finish. Mmmmm.

Mouthfeel is good - adequate carbonationbut not too much.

I wish they bottled this.

nitro0292, Oct 09, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -5.7%

On Tap at Vine and Barley, Color is a amber hue with decent head retention. Im not getting a lot in the nose. There are some hop notes but not a lot. Taste is nice with a good amount grapefruit. I didn’t think this beer was still being brewed so I wonder how old it is because the hop profile seemed lighter than than when I had it a year ago.

biggsbowler, Oct 07, 2011
4.39/5  rDev +9.5%

So I had this at the Brewvival at the end of February and despite my drunkenness immediately realized this was the greatest beer at the festival (and I had several, from top breweries, which I never considered Brooklyn one of). I remembered it as a tropical fruit like citrus hop bomb!

Ok, ok, I've had this twice since (once on tap, freshness unknown, and now the bottle I drink from as we speak, freshness date is August 2014.

A - Pours a nice clear copper with a finger of off white head with nice retention and nice lacing. Looks fairly light but not watery by any means

S - Smells of citrusy fruits like grapefruit, lemon and orange but also sweet tropical fruits. Hoppy sweet fruit smells. Call me crazy, but i get strawberry like aromas here.

T - Minimally piney for the initial taste/split second then citrusy and sweet (i can only describe as tropical, passion fruit/pinapple/lemon and that damn strawberry again) hop flavor. Strawberry/blackberry seed type flavors at the finish, rather dry and tons of sweet fruit lingers.

M - Medium body, well carbonated, a breeze at 8%+

O - Not the holy grail i experienced at brewvival but still some fantastic sweet fruit/citrus bomb. Lots of lemon, and i still cant get over the strawberry characteristics - I know, i must be the only one.

MacQ32, Oct 07, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

Had this on tap the other night at the Brooklyn Brewery during Happy Hour. Never tried it and I didn't know anything about it beforehand but one whiff of this beer and I knew that it was going to be the best that I ever had from Brooklyn. Sure enough, that was confirmed upon tasting!

Good pour to this, to the point where I thought this was an American Amber before looking this beer up on here. The hue was a nice glowing red and the head wasn't bad either. I could smell this from a good distance and there was lots of grapefruit, mango, and an overall wet-hopped feel to this. That was repeated in the taste and mouthfeel as this beer was nicely balanced and had the perfect amount of carbonation. No burning or "skunky weed" for this IPA, but just a fruity and filling offering that goes down easily.

Heck, maybe *too* easily, as I couldn't even taste the alcohol in this. No doubt that this was the best beer available on tap the night I went an a feather in Brooklyn's cap. Any fan of IPA's, subtly warming beers, or the Troegs Nugget Nectar owes it to him or herself to seek this out and give it a go. It would be well worth the effort!

JerzDevl2000, Oct 02, 2011
4.21/5  rDev +5%

On tap at Matt Torrey's in Brooklyn. Lovely, slightly hazy orange colored beer with a slowly settling white head. Strong, hoppy aroma with citrus (grapefruit/pineapple) up front and more piney notes less dominant. Excellently balanced flavor with a good but not overwhelming dose of hoppy bitterness, all the subtler flavors of the aroma, plus a nicely restrained caramel malt sweetness. Booze is vaguely present but not in a way that hinders the drinkability..so be careful! Big flavor here though.

Moderately carbonated, creamy mouthfeel, bitterness of the aftertaste doesn't linger too long. Really impressive, one of the better DIPA's I've tried...I like that they are able to give you all the fruity flavors of the hops while keeping the sweetness and heaviness of the malt, as well as the booziness, in check.

Update: I dinged this one a little bit after having the bottled version, which was definitely good but not quite world class. Certainly unique with the combination of British and west coast hops and a different malt bill than the customary American DIPA typically has. The booze is lurking just under the surface in a totally acceptable way for the style but this lacks the easy, breezy drinkability of the draught version.

tobelerone, Sep 22, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +9.7%

On tap at Amity Hall where I drink more often than I should. Got a student club meeting in an hour. I'll need to remember to buy gum.

BK Blast is bangin! I waited a year to review it properly on tap.

Sudsy, lacey, coppertone with orange, grapefruit, pine, grass and candy on the nose. Nice smack of ale yeast, too. Taste is up front grapefruit juice, drying and clean in the back, malty in the middle. This beer reminds me a lot of Exponential Hoppiness from Alpine, and I'm going to wager a guess that Brooklyn Brewery's wide distribution and BeerAdvocate's preference for rarity is why Blast is only an A-.

It's a damn fine beer.

Medium and smooth in the mouth, overall enjoyable past it's 8% alcohol, Brooklyn Blast is the one beer I wish Brooklyn Brewery made year round. It would be a go-to, because this pint will be gone in seconds.

Now... Do I order another before meeting with faculty? They have Life & Limb on tap...

afksports, Sep 07, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +11%

Served in a tall thin glass at the Diamond Club for Brooklyn Brewery ghost bottle night.

Blast's color vacillates between tangerine and straight orange, and is fairly clear. There's close to two fingers of ivory tinted head, and it's fairly resilient. Lacing is a bit spotty though. The nose is an absolute hop bomb. Healthy doses of citrus, more fruity flavors, and a bit of pine all hit at once and threaten to overwhelm my sense of smell. The taste flashes a bit of caramel up front to remind me that yes, something besides just hops were used to make this beer. If anything, the mid sip bitterness is a bit too tame for my tastes, at least when it comes to drinking double IPAs. I almost gave the beer a 5 for taste anyway, because the hop presence promised by the nose absolutely delivers on the back end of each sip. I'd say juicy tropical fruits and citrusy notes tie for the lead in terms of prominence, with pine just a little bit behind the other two. The body is nice and light, the brew really does tend towards the dry, west coast variation of the style, and the carbonation is bubbly and elevates the truckloads of hop flavor. Blast is one of my all time favorite imperial IPAs, and I can only hope Brooklyn starts putting this one in bottles at some point in the future.

axeman9182, Sep 04, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -32.7%

On tap served into a shaker pint...

A- Orange with a finger of bright white head. Very clear.

S- A lot of pine and some citrus. Quite a malty nose to my dismay. Caramel, honey, and biscuit... Not the best aroma for a DIPA

T/M- Definitely interesting. Bitterness is all on the front end, right when it his the tongue. Again piney, not much fruit or anything else to make this complex. Malt is bready and supporting of the bitterness, not overpowering like it was in the nose. Medium body with minimal carbonation.

O- Pretty one dimensional and forgettable. Nose was way off and the taste just didn't do a lot for me- average might be generous, but i'll go with that. I don't mind a heavier DIPA but the dull carbonation made it not refreshing or easy to put down on a hot day...

TheGordianKnot, Jul 31, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +1%

On-Tap : Poured into snifter.

A: Pours a transparent light amber. A 1 finger white head that dissipates to a small cap and laces the glass.

S: Juicy smell to it. Fruit in the form of citrus, grapefruit. Sweetness of caramel malts. Some hops come through the nose.

T: A nice balanced beer. A sweet citrus blended with caramel leave an interesting taste. The hops bitterness gives it a dry finish. You don't get the kick in the butt with the hops, but the flavor is balanced well with great aftertaste.

M: A real refreshing and easy drinking IPA. The dry finish and aftertaste make this one memorable.

cagocubs, Jul 30, 2011

Got to try Blast at the Tap & Table a while back, it poured out as a bright looking orange yellow color with a half inch white head on top. The head settles and leave a bit of lacing. The smell of the beer is very citrusy on the nose, some pine and malt in there too. The taste of the beer gives off plenty of hoppy goodness. Have a really nice bitter sweet aftertaste. The mouthfeel has a good tingle to it and leaves the mouth dry. Overall this beer is pretty tasty, I wish they'd bottle it so I could get more.

Knapp85, Jul 22, 2011

On tap at The Avenue Pub. Served in a 10 oz Tulip style taster similar to a NB Globe.

Miniscule head and no lace to speak of but a nice light amber/dark golden color though.

Mostly juicy, resiny hops in the nose and some pine, caramel and a good bit of sweetness.

Taste is excellent as well, same as the nose, like biting into a hop pellet and I know from experience. Deep, pure, resiny hop character, dark caramel and perfection in bitterness. Little citrus or fruity notes to speak of but a residual taste of ripe mango. Smooth mouthfeel but about medium to low carbonation

More of an Imperial Amber or strong APA if you ask me so that's the only knock on it other than appearance. As a beer I couldn't ask for more. On the short list of the "if I only had one beer I could drink for the rest of my life" it is near the top. Despite the lowish rating for a dipa and the knocks in score this beer is absolutely phenomenal.

LSUPT, Jun 30, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -4.5%

I had a number of twelve ounce drafts of this at the Amsterdam Ale House on Manhattan's upper west side. It's listed on their menu as a strong ale, which I think is more accurate as the Blast does not have enough hop character to qualify as a Double IPA in my opinion.

Pours a cloudy pales straw color. Nice carbonation and some lacing on the glass.

Aroma is more malty to my nose than it was hoppy. I could smell the hops but not enough to really be IPA-like.

Flavor is quite nice. Strong enough to be "strong" but not so strong to knock you out. Overall, i liked it. I just didn't think the dipa characterization is accurate.

Overall a good beer that I would recommend.

david18, Jun 27, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

On-tap at Hoptomic. Pours a hazy golden hue, with tinges of apricot around the edges. The nose offers pink grapefruit juice and rind, mango sap, and orange blossom; not much aromatic maltiness. The taste, however, has a good deal more malty sweetness, and this trait seems to fuse with the floral elements to give this beer are rosewater undertone. The hops dominate, and range from the aforementioned floral-citrus to distinctly piney and almost catty. A good feel, soft carbonation and medium body. Overall, it is nice, but is a second-tier offering at best.

ktrillionaire, Jun 21, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -15.2%

Reviewed from notes; originally 6/3/11.

A-Served in a shaker pint with a very clear light amber color with no discernible head.

S-Smells of pine sap and grapefruit with some orange.

T-Juicy grapefruit upfront wit a bit of bitter pine and light caramel malt notes.

M-A little thin for what the brewery is calling a Double Pale Ale with prickly carbonation and a dry feel.

D-Not difficult to drink at all, but I was expecting a little more complexity from this one.

samie85, Jun 19, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

Having on tap at revolution brewery.

Color is a light orange and has a good ring of foam upon pour.

Smell is heavy citrus, but not in an overwhelming way.

Taste is smooth and the fruit and floral combination come out nicely. It does carry a lingering bitterness after done.

Overall, I am happy with the combination that BB has put together. I would have one again.

Duffman929, Jun 04, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Just transparent pale straw color with a slightly soapy one finger white head. Strong hop aroma, warrior and colombus (garlicky n onion) with citrus notes and undertones of pine. Brooklyn really hit all the good hop notes here. Yes this is a blast of hops. Really hop forward. Citrus and pine take center stage with slightly sweet fresh hop notes that linger into a bitter finish. Really simple malt body not much to speak of, just a hop bomb. Boarders on cloying from hop overload. Tasty overall though.

pmlondrigan, May 07, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +6.7%

Stopped by Superstar Huntington and there was a Brooklyn tasting happening. Sampled a few and was pretty blown away by Blast so I had no choice but to pick up a growler.

a - through the growler a nice deep transparent orange hue. Popped it open and filled my Captain Lawrence taster tulip. Color settled a bit darker and there was visible even carbonation and a nice thin IPA head. Left some slick lacing on the glass.

s - very nicely balanced hop smell. Good malt presence, hint of sweetness...not very sticky and pine cone like, but very nice.

t - good medley of hops and bitterness...some pepper as well. quite tasty and the standout from the tasting that I just had to bring a sample of it home to enjoy. nice sweetness to even things out.

m - a bit watery/light in the body, bitter aftertaste, but not too much so. ABV is extremely well hidden for a double. lively carbonation.

o - really great IIPA. extremely enjoyable, very easy to drink, not a hop bomb. this one should be bottled.

cosmicevan, May 06, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Had on-tap at the brewery on 4/9/11.

Review taken from notes.

A - This beer pours a clear bright golden color. It had a nice small white head on it, that left some lacing behind.

S - It smells of big juicy grapefruit and citrus hops. There are also nice notes of tropical fruit and sweet caramel.

T - The taste follows the nose quite a bit. There is a big juicy citrusy hop flavor. Also there are notes of grapefruit, sweet caramel malts, and tropical fruit. The finish has some lingering hop bitterness.

M - It has a medium body with good carbonation. It goes down easy and is pretty refreshing. There is a nice hoppy bitterness that sticks to the palate and lingers.

O - This has good drinkability. It is an excellent beer, and I could drink it all day long. Overall, I really enjoyed this and I definitely would try it again, even though I doubt I'll get the chance. Try it if you come across it.

JizackFH, Apr 23, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Pours orange with a cloudy sediment. Looks like it will be much heavier than mist IPA's

S - Notes of citrus, pine, and hops. Strong on the orange and lemon scents.

T - Very hoppy and the citrus flavors balance this well. Not much different form most DIPA's, but it is a dominant taste. This is not a shy beer.

M - Extremenly smooth. I was impressed with how drinkable this one is. For a power packed IPA you don't feel stressed to drink this.

O - Was glad to try this on cask. Wonder if Brooklyn will put out more of this.

socon67, Apr 10, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +9.2%

I was treated to this hoppy wonder on tap today at Brooklyn Brewery.

S: The smell was potent but not overwhelming. I was served in a short plastic cup, so it is hard to compare to other beers.

T: Not your usual IPA. I detected some kind of spiciness that I am not use to with this style, almost something you'd find in your spice rack, and it complimented the maltiness very well. Nicely bitter in the end as well. There's apparently many kinds of hop varieties at work here, and it makes for a complex and pleasant flavor.

M: Nice medium consistency, absolutely drinkable. At 9%, I was feeling this beer within the first few gulps, but it tastes so good and the alcohol is so subdued, it's easy to fall into its trap.

Overall: I wish this beer was more widely distributed, it's certainly one of Brooklyn's better beers. Absolutely delicious, I'd drink this any chance I get.

Fikash, Apr 04, 2011