Brooklyn Smoked Weissbock - Brooklyn Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Weizenbock |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Billolick on 01-14-2007)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by RblWthACoz:
4.4/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a very clouded caramel brown color. Fruity nose for certain. Flavor is meaty with an almost bark like tone to it. I guess those are two words I would use to describe it. Meaty and earthy. Feel is lower on carbonation with a nice smoky action across the tongue. Definitely drinkable. Another great production by Brooklyn. Worth a shot.

RblWthACoz, Dec 30, 2007
3.83/5  rDev -6.8%

I was the first to get this from the freshly tapped keg at Consumer's growler staion in Orchard Park today,poured a dull hazed lighter brown with a touch of burnt orange-like tint a creamy,sticky head atop.Mild smoke and clove in the nose mainly with underlying bubble gum and brown sugar as well.Pretty well rounded flavors not to one dimensional in the smoke wich is a nice suprise,the smoke is prevelant but not overbearing a clovey,spicey aspect really shows thru even becoming quite strong after awhile a hint of lemony citrus comes thru into the finish.Alot of nice stuff going on but it gets a bit "much" after awhile to drink, its a one and doner for me but I like it.

oberon, Mar 16, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

On tap at the Hop Devil Grill in NYC, this highly anticipated brew appears clear light plum, with a tiny bubble tan head, that leaves some respectable sheeting and slippery lacing. Sweet, smokey and leafy mint in the nose. Inviting and interesting, moderate smoke picked up, some alcohol, notes of juniper, yeasties doing there wheat/fruity thing. This all adds up to a deceptively complex, flavorful and distinguished accomplishment in brewing. Love the style, looking forward to trying it with some boldly flavored foods. Nice job here and certainly well worth a try.

Billolick, Jan 14, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +1.7%

Enjoyed a pint of this with friends at Redbones today...
Arrived super hazy...golden peach in color with a full finger of creamy white head, the majority of which remained for half the pint.
Some tight lacing produced as I worked my way thru the offering.
Sweet malt in the nose, some mild spice, cloves mainly.
Taste is fantastic...not the smoked flavor I was expecting, but super tasty. A gentle floral bitterness up front, but the malty back end is what really makes it's mark. Some banana, more clove, a touch of citrus too...sweetness is just where I want to see it for the style.
Mouthfeel is above medium-bodied, but not quite heavy...the hops help to keep the finish semi-dry w/out the sweetness becoming cloying.
Super easy to consume...could actually enjoy this one all evening and never getting the urge to go elsewhere.
Despite the lack of smokiness, this beer is incredible.

warriorsoul, Mar 04, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

Brooklyn- Smoked Weisbock

Appearance- Hazy brwon with no head.
Smell- Strong smokey banana and clove aroma.
Taste- Big smokey flavor with hints of banana, clove, and fruits; raisin and prune.
Mouthfeel- Sweet malt dominated but the smoke and spice were well balanced throughout.

Overall- I drank a pint of this quickly and easily. A solid beer.

NJpadreFan, Mar 18, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

How many pints of this beautiful, chewy, smokey and bubblegum filled dark-caramel weizen could I put away? Apparently, the answer is MANY!!! Its cloudy dark caramel-brown body offers up some murky orange-amber highlights beneath its creamy dark tan head. The nose is more subdued than you might think, but it immediately offers some sweetly caramelish malt, and if you give it some time and effort, the smoke and clove come through clearly. It's medium-bodied with a dextrinous edge; and smooth and creamy across the palate with a gently effervescent, fine-bubbled carbonation. The flavor is much fuller and far more accessible than the nose suggests with lots of light and dark caramel, banana bread, soft apple, delicate citrus and light, peppery spice followed by lingering smoke and clove. It's remarkably well-balanced, but still rich, and very drinkable! Well worth trying!!!

NeroFiddled, Apr 14, 2007
3.95/5  rDev -3.9%

On-tap at the Blue Tusk

Not a whole lot of smoke here, I think it just blended with the flavor and aroma. Still, this was a very nice, full-flavored brew. A strong wheat aroma, reminded me of red wheat. The flavor is more of the strong wheat with a taste of candi, similar to a Belgian. This is pretty different from other weizenbocks I've had like Aventinus, but was still very good. Not overly sweet and with some clean wheat flavors. Tasted more American than German as far as wheat beers go, but its worth trying.

tempest, Mar 27, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Latest Brewmaster's Reserve beer on tap at my house. Pours a cloudy, orangey-brown into my 23 oz Brooklyn Brewery weisse glass. Creamy, light tan head with tiny bubbles that give way to some decent lacing. Thin layer of foam remains throughout the glass. Wow, so far it sounds just like my review of the regular Weissebock from two years ago. I could really smell the bananas when pouring the beer into the glass. I can sniff some clove as well. I tasted subtle smoke on the very first sip, then none throught the rest of the glass. Classic weiss phenols. Slightly sweet, but nice balance. Medium-bodied, well-carbonated. Very drinkable for an 8% beer. I would have liked to try this one head-to-head with the regular Weissebock from a few years ago.

BeerFan, Mar 09, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours from the growler a cloudy dark orange leaving a thick tan head in its wake. The aroma is fantastic, smokey, malty, brown sugar, candied wheat, banana, cloves, and just a touch of boozey aromatics to this herbal sweet fragrance. The taste starts hot with a warming alcohal presence that makes this prime for sipping from there the beer starts playing with your palate sweet, savory, malts, leaving you yearning for more! There is a wheat, nutty, feel on the palate very minimal hop presence followed by some overipened banana as well this offering is lightly carbonated and goes down to easy for a 8% beer. I'm actually very disappointed that I might not get another chance to try this gem but I'll enjoy while I can. Great job Brooklyn.

Franchise, Mar 13, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +4.1%

A: Poured a robust and dark amber, almost brown with a slight 1 finger beige head leaving a good lacing.

S: a nice smoked woody aroma, bananas, and a light dry burnt caramel.

T: The initial flavor was bready, with a nice smooth smokiness. There were light bananas, cloves, dried apples and a light caramel spiciness. There was a nice roasted wheat grain flavor along with dried fruit, raisins, before finishing semi-dry with a light charred woodiness.

M: creamy, with a good medium fullness and left a light smoky reminder behind after the swallow.

D: A great smooth drinkable smoked weissbock that was smooth going down and very refined and polished flavor wise.

beerthulhu, Jul 07, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

This is the result of several pours during the General Lafayette's Winterfest.

A: The ale pours with the brilliant orange color of a weizen. The head is acceptable but not exemplary.

S: The aroma is an estery mix of cloves and banana, a dead-on clone for a weizennbock.

T: The taste throws you for a loop. The flavors of a weizen are present with cloves and bananas leading the way. Half way through the glass, the smokiness emerges, providing a smokehouse element to the beer. The smokiness lasts throughout the glass, making the softer weizen elements all the more tasty.

M: The subtle smoke is lovely, delicious without detracting from the weizen component.

D: I had several pours of this ale. The flavors blended together nicely, creating a pleasing weizen-smoked beer hybrid.

akorsak, Feb 18, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

I've had an interesting experience with this one. Went to an Irish pub for dinner on St. Patty's day (honest, I was there for the food!) and scannign the impressive tap line (Beff's in Delmar for those in the area) I noticed this one. I knew I had to have it, but as my bad luck would have it, there wasnt a full pint left in the keg! So they let me have what was left for free, and instantly I was impressed with the cornicopia of flavors.
The very next day (today) I go to the beer store (Olivers of course) and see they've got this on draft! I get a growler and it foamed like crazy for the poor guy who was trying to fill it. Been drinking it on and off this afternoon and man, I havent been blown away by a beer like this in awhile.
1st pour had a massive head, but the next couple had a more reasonable head. None had any lacing, though. Very cloudy and turbid from the yeast. Looks like a cloudy brown ale.
Smokiness is actually very subdued, and being a smoke fan I was slightly disappointed, but the overall beer more then makes up for it (incidently they had an accurate description on the beer menu at Beffs). Very complex. Has sort of a 'banana split' thing going on. Those classic yeasty banana and clove esters are in full effect. Also some vanilla (hence the banana split reference), and a little smoke in the background. Fairly sweet and creamy on the palate. Naturally, no real hint of any kind of hop bitterness.
I cant say enough good about this one. Its so complex and tasty. I'm in awe. At least I'm getting my fill while its around.

BrewMan13, Mar 19, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

Straight from the tap at the Brooklyn Brewer:

This beer had a nice creamy honey-brown color. A brownish-white head made of larger then normal bubbles.

The smell is of a sweet wheat, clovers, and smoke.

The taste was overall nicely sweet, but not too strong. The liquid is a good consistency. It has an after taste of smoky sweet cloves.

I normally find bocks a bit too sweet, but this one was nicely balanced. It was very enjoyable to drink.

UkiPiper, Apr 01, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

On tap at The Boathouse in Conshy. I would've had this on tap at my house if Banko Beverage in Plumsteadville, PA didn't severely drop the ball by "accidently" shipping out my "saved sixtel with my name attached" to a local account several weeks ago...
Appears a murky brownish amber with a fluffy, dark tan head that slowly fades into a 1/2" floating cap. Tons of scattered lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of freshly cut apples, caramel, wheat, yeasty bread, a hint of cocoa, vanilla, bananas, cloves, light bubblegum, and spices. It's really outstanding on all levels...and if there's smokiness there, I'm missing it.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with a well done balance and perhaps a mild dose of citrusy, orange filled hops.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, chewy, viscuous, mildly sweet and fruity, with a caramel goodness and light hoppiness balancing out the mix.
...The sad part is that the Brooklyn rep, BA NJbeerman, went out of his way to make this happen and it fell through despite all of the communications and efforts. I know which wholesaler/distributor I won't be supporting after wasting half of a Saturday and not being offered anything other than the option to purchase a half keg at regular price instead of a sixtel . Wooo!

weeare138, Apr 26, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

What a tasty rich sweet treat. We tried this side by side with Victory Moonglow Weizenbock. They have more in common than not.

Appearance: pours an attractive light amber with a small head and little lacing.

Smell: a fruit salad dumped into a banana smoothie with yeast attributes and and spices, and just a touch of smokiness.

Taste: Smooth and sweet. A very tasty change of pace. Similar to the Weizenbock it has the sweet fruits wet wheat flavors and suggestions of banana, apricot, vanilla and clove and a splash of lemon. This beer has a very light smoke element that is very approachable.

Mouthfeel: Certainly medium to full feel in the mouth, a bit chewy and soft with a light tartness and just enough alcohol to detect on the palate.

Drinkability: I am a fan. I wish I wasn't saving the growler I have for the homebrew club because I could drink a growler of this beer today and tomorrow. MMM.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Feb 27, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

Had this one on tap at the brewery. It pours a beautiful cloudy rust color that begs to be explored. A nice off-white head sits atop the brew. The aroma is of mainly bananas, with just a hint of smokiness and spices. Yum.

The flavor is very banana-like. But all that fruity flavor is balanced nicely by some distinct spices (that never over power) and a very subtle smoky tinge. It makes for one hell of a complex and distinctive beer. Mouthfeel is creamy and full. I had no idea this beer was 8%; highly drinkable, and you will want more. One of my favorites from Brooklyn.

BBM, Feb 11, 2007

I am an admirer of Schneider Aventinus and this beer is the closest I've found to it. I was expecting a heavy smoke taste and it was not there. It left me wondering if Matt Capone actually had smoked weissbock or regular weissbock on tap. It was a cloudy, reddish brown with ample flavor and mouthfeel to roll around on the tongue a bit before swallowing. The flavor is big enough to taste with the inside of your cheeks. I would certainly have it again when I find it available. Don't let the SMOKED aspect of the name scare you away.

Cameroon, Feb 25, 2007

On tap.

Poured a deeper and cloudy amberish color with an averaged sized off white head. Aromas of bananas, cloves, fruity, and a trace of smoke. Smokey meatiness in the flavor with bananas, wheat and cloves. Definitely more smoke in the tastes.

Notes from: 2/21/07

hopdog, Jan 07, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +7.8%

Have to say that over the years I have not been a huge fan of Brooklyn Brewing Beers. Hence, it was with considerable surprise that I tried this beer at Max's (Baltimore) the other night. What an altogether beautiful beer.

The beer pours a nice light orange/brown color, with decent head and lacing. The first clue that you are in for something special comes with the first whiff of smokey bananas. The aroma is incredible, with banana, smoke, strawberry and melon. My mouth literally started to water as I smelled this beer. On the palate the flavors replicated the smell, with lovely fruit and smoky bacon. This beer is not the least bit heavy or tiring to drink, and I was surprised to learn that it had an abv. of 8%. The beer was entirely too drinkable for it's abv., with a lovely soft, palate coating mouth feel.

An excellent effort from Brooklyn Brewing.

John_M, Mar 28, 2007

Not being into smoked beers, I was hesitant to give this one a shot. Turned out to be really enjoyable, though.

Came to me a cloudy brownish orange with a decent sized light tan head. Pretty good lacing made its way down the glass.

The aroma didn't have the strong smoked scent I was anticipating. It was rather mild and enjoyable. Mild smoke, cloves, banana, burnt caramel, and just a hint of peat.

The taste was mild on the smoke, also. Which, to me, made it a better experience. Stronger clove and banana flavors out muscle the smokiness which peeks out more towards the finish. Slight bitterness balances it out quite well.

Medium body with active carbonation. Feels lively in the mouth. Smooth. I was surprised by this one. I wouldn't hesitate to have it again.

Imstillthegman, Mar 27, 2007
3.3/5  rDev -19.7%

On Tap at Bonnie's Grill in Park Slope, Brooklyn.
A: Smoky rust color. One-inch head. Looked good enough.
S: Banana, bananas, etc.
T: Again bananas, tasted like a typical hefe, but with a boost of banana flavor
M: Best part of the beer, medium bodied, with the perfect carbonation.
D: Because of the overwhelming banana flavor, this is good for one, but nothing beyond that. Not my favorite Brooklyn brew, that's for sure.

AChamberlain, Jan 29, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

On-tap at Coles in Buffalo.

A: Muddy brown, light tan head, no retention or lace. (A weissbock should be full of protein & have a standup head).

S: Banana bread, spice & smoke.

T: Banana, pineapple, bubble-gum (fruity esters are a little much), spice (cloves etc.), bready, smokey aftertaste. Alcohol is fairly well-hidden.

M: Moderate body, carbonation is higher than average (a little much), slight acidity.

D: It grew on me.

Derek, Apr 29, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

Drank on-tap at Barcade, Brooklyn, NY

Poured a light, reddish-brown amber with a small, off-white head that left a stubborn ring of lace.

Aroma was fresh, yeasty, fruity and spicy. Banana, lemon and orange peel were noticeable along with coriander and clove.

Taste was similar to smell. Malty rich and creamy up front before a strong lemon flavor, banana and some spiciness kicked in. Finish was crisp and hoppy with an intense, lingering, smoky aftertaste which came out of nowhere and left me craving another sip.

Medium bodied with a creamy and smooth mouthfeel. The carbonation was rather heavy, yet this seemed to compliment the style.

Drinkability was quite impressive. The beer was flavorful, crisp and refreshing and the 8% ABV was hardly noticeable.

Overall, a rather well-crafted and interesting offering.

Damian, Feb 20, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +4.1%

On tap at Spuyten Duyvil. Appearance: This beer is a very murky brown color. It sort of looks like slightly water down apple cider. Looks juicy and heavy. Smells very crisp and citrusy. Smooth fruit esters detectable in the aroma. There's also a presence of honey-like alcohol. Not much smoke noticeable here. Also, somewhat butterscotchy. Its starting to remind me of EKU 28 a little bit. I must say, too, that the aroma got significantly stronger as the beer warmed up. Flavor starts out with nice spicy, sharp wheat flavors which means cloves and bananas. However its not like a hefe by any means. Its much more subtle .Then the alcohol and smoked malt flavors fly through. The smoke is very subtle and could possibly be missed. When found it adds to the wonderful complexity of this beer. Drinkability is very good considering its somewhat higher ABV. This is a fantastic beer. One of the most unique beers I've enjoyed in the past few months.

BeerHonky, Feb 18, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

It pours a murky orange brown, but it's got some lemon yellow intimations in the lighter spots. Two fingers of large-bubbled tan head pops away, but very slowly indeed. Kandinsky-circles of lacing synthesize the inside of the glass.

The aroma is big and wheaty, clove and sweetie, banana and bubble gum even, but I'll be damned if I can make out any smoke! But that's ok, because the alcohol fills in quite nicely, thank you.

Upon sipping, the wheat comes through with sweet flying colors, buoyed by touches of candy sugar, plum, and currants. Yeasty esters contribute banana and clove, and bump against a breath of alcohol that speaks of vanilla extract. A light biscuit note precedes the first and only hint at smoke, with a light gust working through. The finish is residually sweet, but it crisps considerably as it lingers. This is a truly mouth-watering taste experience.

Medium bodied, the sweet grain sticks cloyingly, but not at all annoyingly. The end result of the finish is a clean glow.

The smell missed the smoke, not a bad thing but missing the name's mark, but it was promising. So how cool is it that the first sip blew away any expectations and wowed me from Taste One? I've generally been ambivalent about Brooklyn, liking some, not so much others, but the flavor here is dynamite, bursting on the palate like dozens of hellagood wheat-bombs. Sure, the ABV is premium octane-ish, but it's so well-incorporated that anything less than prudence would result in a great time way overdone. This is the kind of offering that guarantees I'll keep trying Brooklyn beers in hopes of unearthing the next gem.

Foxman, Apr 04, 2007