Brooklyn Local 1 - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Local 1Brooklyn Local 1

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.00% ABV

Brewed with German malts and hops, first-pressing Demerara cane sugar from Mauritius, and a Belgian yeast strain. 100% bottle re-fermentation; OG=18.5; AE=1.7. Classified as a "strong saison" by Garrett Oliver.

(Beer added by: akorsak on 02-18-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Local 1 Alström Bros

phishinNYC, Jul 23, 2012

Travcofarms, Dec 10, 2012

dna1964dna, Dec 20, 2012

DuffDaddy, Nov 24, 2013
2.05/5  rDev -50.4%

There are so many new beers to try. I read about this beer in several magazines and was eager to try some. I love Belgian Trippels and I have tried at least a dozen American brewed tributes to this Belgian style. I went to Green's package store on Buford Highway in Atlanta to buy a couple of bottles. I hate to say it, but Brooklyn One is by far the worst one that I have tried and I would never purchase it again.

The color and head were fine, although it seemed a bit pale.

The taste was not unpleasant, but wasn't anything special.

As far as drinkability, it is a strong beverage and definately delivered a nice buzz.

rudyarmand, Sep 06, 2007
2.15/5  rDev -47.9%

Locate Juan? There he is! Pours a mostly cloudy amber color with a light brownish orange hue. A fizzy white head with some staying power. After some time did hide to the edge of the glass but was able to bring back with a swirl. Ok lacing through out the tasting.

The nose was a bit off. Some off malt notes up front but not very distinct. Some bready notes with a light nutty note that I associate with Victory malt. Some noticeable off notes. Some butyric and DMS. Some goaty and funk in there as well. I would call it more of an infection than anything else. Some yeasty aroma but nothing that really confirms being a Belgian beer.

The taste is a bit more distinct but still some off notes. To start there is a light bready note with more of a pale ale base. Some caramel/toffee notes but limited. A odd funk that I picked out from the nose. More of butyric aroma but has a definite metallic/coiny taste to it. Some yeast notes but again nothing particularly noticeable for a Belgian character. Some minor alcohol and esters but mostly clean. Some pineapples and cloves with some hints of figs. Some carbonic bite that off set the finish a bit. Very strange.

The body was moderate. Some warming from the alcohol. The carbonation was high even for style. Overall some really strange off notes and limited malt and Belgian character really leaves me wanting more. Not exactly a drain pour but close.

Oxymoron, Mar 16, 2009
2.18/5  rDev -47.2%

Poured from a corked and caged bottle into a Duvel tulip

A- pours a cloudy yellow with a three finger white head that fades moderately quick, with tons of lacing up the glass. A little cloudy for a saison IMO

S- the aroma comes off as a little stale to me actually....light bit of funk, with a lot of some weak banana type scents as well

T- lots of Belgian yeast coming through, very fruity and flowery and choking the hell out of me. That's all I can really taste, and it's not a very pleasant experience.

M- medium bodied. It's fine

O- I can't do this, and a good 3/4 of the bottle was a drain pour. Way too much of that "Belgian flavor" choking the hell out of me

bigfnjoe, Sep 27, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -45.5%

deldad, Jun 05, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -45.5%

Very champagne flavor saison ale ... very good but not my favorite ... too farmhouse for me.

DonWeymouth, Oct 10, 2014
2.35/5  rDev -43.1%

Bottle courtesy of mgermani: Poured a hazy beige color ale with a medium foamy head with OK retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of candy with some pears and apricot and some sweet malt is somewhat reminiscent of some of the Trappists. Taste is surprisingly not that well balance with a mix between the candy like sweetness and some dry fruits with sweetness just getting to be gross at the end. Body is quite full with some medium carbonation and alcohol was not apparent. I really wanted to like this and I am glad I had the opportunity to try this but I thought the flavour really clash and were not properly balanced.

Phyl21ca, Jan 18, 2008
2.42/5  rDev -41.4%

A: Bottle into pint glass in low altitude Galway, Ireland. Pours a hazy dark yellow with an incredible five finger head of lovely cream lacing and acceptable thickness.

Sm: Incredibly light and clean scent of hops. Nice.

T: A wheaty open to a strangely built body. Far more bitter than it ought to be, especially on the finish. Notes of barley, bittering hops, and malt. It's certainly complex, but the bitterness holds back and masks the flavour. Some yeast.

Mf: Nice wetness at the finish, but far too dry through the body; this is the opposite of what a beer of this style ought to be. Too heavy on the palate.

Dr: Hides its ABV exceptionally well. Too dry to drink repeatedly.

kojevergas, Feb 23, 2011

spamages, Nov 23, 2011

Metz, Jul 21, 2013

MouthfulOfchris, May 05, 2012

phishbone23, Jan 23, 2013
2.58/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Finally cracked a Local 1 during a beer tasting with my friends and it was the first beer opened and consumed.

Poured as a hazy orange-honey brew with very nice white fluffy foam. Nice appearance.

Odor was a bit strange with a mix between skunk and fruity. Some people might dig that combo but I don't.

Taste was a bit offputting as well - fruity, skunky, hoppy, with so many different flavor profiles combating, it's hard to truly apprecitate the flavor. Didn't seem to blend together in harmony but seemed to be more like fighting with each other for dominance.

Mouthfeel was decent thanks to the huge head providing some creaminess to it. Didn't really like how I got hit with alcohol right away though. I'd have liked to savor the flavors a bit if at all possible.

Drinkability is low due to the high ABV and the fact that it's made in a friggin' huge bottle. I couldn't finish this bottle off by myself if I wanted to. So it's limited to the occasions when I can get a few friends together to enjoy this beer. I'll give it another try someday but it wouldn't be joining my regular rotation anytime soon.

xare, Jul 23, 2008
2.58/5  rDev -37.5%

A- Cloudy light gold with a large but quickly dissipating head. A little bit of lacing.

S- Lemony citrus smell with a touch of nutty yeast.

T- Sugary, hot, some maltiness.

M- A bit thin, somewhat fizzy carbonation

There just wasn't a lot going on here, no complexity. Overall, I found this to be indistinct. The 9% ABV was also very apparent.

FreightTrain, Nov 30, 2008
2.6/5  rDev -37%

Belgian strong ale indeed... the heat in this one totally threw me for a loop and was all in all very unpleasant. Even let this one sit overnight in the fridge, and despite extra air time and cooled state, all I could get was alcohol in the finish. Not my cup of tea, which is a bummer as I was really looking forward to this.

jwjon1, Mar 17, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -33.9%

Poured from corked bottle to pilsner glass. Had a cloudy golden orange pour with a nice half inch head that reduced to a minimal sheen. Mellow smell of malt and sweet fruitiness. Hops jump out front on the taste with a strong alcohol finish and apple hides in the booze burn. Had a dry finish with an alcohol aftertaste that reminded me of a spiced apple cider due to the heavy carbonation. Was ok for Brooklyn but I would not buy again.

Pleepleus, Apr 23, 2008