Brooklyn Local 1 - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: akorsak on 02-18-2007

Brewed with German malts and hops, first-pressing Demerara cane sugar from Mauritius, and a Belgian yeast strain. 100% bottle re-fermentation; OG=18.5; AE=1.7. Classified as a "strong saison" by Garrett Oliver.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Local 1 Alström Bros
Reviews: 903 | Hads: 1,947
2.06/5  rDev -49.5%

There are so many new beers to try. I read about this beer in several magazines and was eager to try some. I love Belgian Trippels and I have tried at least a dozen American brewed tributes to this Belgian style. I went to Green's package store on Buford Highway in Atlanta to buy a couple of bottles. I hate to say it, but Brooklyn One is by far the worst one that I have tried and I would never purchase it again.

The color and head were fine, although it seemed a bit pale.

The taste was not unpleasant, but wasn't anything special.

As far as drinkability, it is a strong beverage and definately delivered a nice buzz. (625 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -46.6%

Locate Juan? There he is! Pours a mostly cloudy amber color with a light brownish orange hue. A fizzy white head with some staying power. After some time did hide to the edge of the glass but was able to bring back with a swirl. Ok lacing through out the tasting.

The nose was a bit off. Some off malt notes up front but not very distinct. Some bready notes with a light nutty note that I associate with Victory malt. Some noticeable off notes. Some butyric and DMS. Some goaty and funk in there as well. I would call it more of an infection than anything else. Some yeasty aroma but nothing that really confirms being a Belgian beer.

The taste is a bit more distinct but still some off notes. To start there is a light bready note with more of a pale ale base. Some caramel/toffee notes but limited. A odd funk that I picked out from the nose. More of butyric aroma but has a definite metallic/coiny taste to it. Some yeast notes but again nothing particularly noticeable for a Belgian character. Some minor alcohol and esters but mostly clean. Some pineapples and cloves with some hints of figs. Some carbonic bite that off set the finish a bit. Very strange.

The body was moderate. Some warming from the alcohol. The carbonation was high even for style. Overall some really strange off notes and limited malt and Belgian character really leaves me wanting more. Not exactly a drain pour but close. (1,403 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -44.6%

Poured from a corked and caged bottle into a Duvel tulip

A- pours a cloudy yellow with a three finger white head that fades moderately quick, with tons of lacing up the glass. A little cloudy for a saison IMO

S- the aroma comes off as a little stale to me actually....light bit of funk, with a lot of some weak banana type scents as well

T- lots of Belgian yeast coming through, very fruity and flowery and choking the hell out of me. That's all I can really taste, and it's not a very pleasant experience.

M- medium bodied. It's fine

O- I can't do this, and a good 3/4 of the bottle was a drain pour. Way too much of that "Belgian flavor" choking the hell out of me (671 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -42.9%

Bottle courtesy of mgermani: Poured a hazy beige color ale with a medium foamy head with OK retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of candy with some pears and apricot and some sweet malt is somewhat reminiscent of some of the Trappists. Taste is surprisingly not that well balance with a mix between the candy like sweetness and some dry fruits with sweetness just getting to be gross at the end. Body is quite full with some medium carbonation and alcohol was not apparent. I really wanted to like this and I am glad I had the opportunity to try this but I thought the flavour really clash and were not properly balanced. (620 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -40.2%

A: Bottle into pint glass in low altitude Galway, Ireland. Pours a hazy dark yellow with an incredible five finger head of lovely cream lacing and acceptable thickness.

Sm: Incredibly light and clean scent of hops. Nice.

T: A wheaty open to a strangely built body. Far more bitter than it ought to be, especially on the finish. Notes of barley, bittering hops, and malt. It's certainly complex, but the bitterness holds back and masks the flavour. Some yeast.

Mf: Nice wetness at the finish, but far too dry through the body; this is the opposite of what a beer of this style ought to be. Too heavy on the palate.

Dr: Hides its ABV exceptionally well. Too dry to drink repeatedly. (688 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -36.8%

A- Cloudy light gold with a large but quickly dissipating head. A little bit of lacing.

S- Lemony citrus smell with a touch of nutty yeast.

T- Sugary, hot, some maltiness.

M- A bit thin, somewhat fizzy carbonation

There just wasn't a lot going on here, no complexity. Overall, I found this to be indistinct. The 9% ABV was also very apparent. (347 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Finally cracked a Local 1 during a beer tasting with my friends and it was the first beer opened and consumed.

Poured as a hazy orange-honey brew with very nice white fluffy foam. Nice appearance.

Odor was a bit strange with a mix between skunk and fruity. Some people might dig that combo but I don't.

Taste was a bit offputting as well - fruity, skunky, hoppy, with so many different flavor profiles combating, it's hard to truly apprecitate the flavor. Didn't seem to blend together in harmony but seemed to be more like fighting with each other for dominance.

Mouthfeel was decent thanks to the huge head providing some creaminess to it. Didn't really like how I got hit with alcohol right away though. I'd have liked to savor the flavors a bit if at all possible.

Drinkability is low due to the high ABV and the fact that it's made in a friggin' huge bottle. I couldn't finish this bottle off by myself if I wanted to. So it's limited to the occasions when I can get a few friends together to enjoy this beer. I'll give it another try someday but it wouldn't be joining my regular rotation anytime soon. (1,113 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -34.3%

Belgian strong ale indeed... the heat in this one totally threw me for a loop and was all in all very unpleasant. Even let this one sit overnight in the fridge, and despite extra air time and cooled state, all I could get was alcohol in the finish. Not my cup of tea, which is a bummer as I was really looking forward to this. (326 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -33.1%

Maybe it was the beautiful bottle, maybe it was the hype from this site, maybe it was because my NCAA brackets are falling apart. But I feel like I was let down by this offering from Brooklyn.

The pour was average, but the head 1 finger at best dissapated quickly. There was some impressive bubble dancing to the top after each poor though, and the golden wheat color was on par with others of this style. It was the smell and the taste that left something to be desired however. It seems as though there is little going on besides the alchol. The burn seems to linger inapropriately for a 9.00 abv beer and is way to present in the nose. None of the subtiltle fruit tones I get in a Duvel. I gave the drinkability a 2.5 due to the bordem induced after more than one poor and the lack of complexity. This beer was worth trying, but not something I'd seek again. (863 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -32.4%

Poured from corked bottle to pilsner glass. Had a cloudy golden orange pour with a nice half inch head that reduced to a minimal sheen. Mellow smell of malt and sweet fruitiness. Hops jump out front on the taste with a strong alcohol finish and apple hides in the booze burn. Had a dry finish with an alcohol aftertaste that reminded me of a spiced apple cider due to the heavy carbonation. Was ok for Brooklyn but I would not buy again. (437 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Golden brew with extremely intense carbonation large head fueled by the bubbling. A lot of lacing.

S - Strong hay, a very dry aroma, a slight hint of malt. A hint of apples.

T - A bit of alcohol, but this is subdominant. With a strong hay presence and a bit of a dry malt. Aftertaste is a slightly ascerbic bitterness.

M - Very dry, but also refreshing, thin, a bit of carbonation.

D - Pretty good. An enjoyable beer, I wouldn't mind having again. It isn't fantastic, but it is worth a try. (498 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -29.4%

I had this beer after reading the Beer Advocate magazine which gave it an A. I had high hopes for this beer, but in the end, I dont think I would come back to this brew again.

A: Nice golden, semi-clear appearance
S: Fresh, floral
M: Medium mouth feel. Very carbonated.
D: The bottle I tasted had a very pronounced phenolic taste and clove taste. The phenolic was very evident and really detracted from my experience with this beer. (434 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -29.4%

Old bottle that I found in the old country... Toledo I think.
Sitting around for a couple of years.

Bottle has 1377 stamped on the back.

Dusty smell. Looks really hazy. Honey appearance. Fine foam. Not much lace.

Tastes peculiar. Warming, dry, bitter. On the watery side.

Might be past his peak. Not getting much fruit. Maybe some over ripe mango, pineapple.

not one that ages well or nicely. (401 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -27%

Poured into a snifter. The cork came out surprisingly easy, which made more sense when I heard the massive POP! No gushing though, but the pour verified an aggressive carbonation.

4.0 A: Hazy golden color. Three plus fingers of hybrid creamy/frothy white head. Great retention and loads of irregular lacing.

3.5 S: Unfermented wort, loads of peppery spiciness along with clove and corriander. Grassy with a peachy fruitiness. Hops are grassy with a touch of flowery.

2.5 T: Again, unfermented wort. I not a big fan of drinking it when I brew my own beer and I certainly don't want to taste it in a finished beer. This isn't the only brew I've experienced it in, but it is the first that I've noticed it on the first sip. Corriander is the main spice in charge now with pepper and clove following behind. Malts can only be described as "worty" and any other description is inaccurate. Low bitterness, but it does its job to balance.

4.0 M: Medium body. Big healthy spritzy carbonation. No problems here.

2.5 D: This beer wasn't executed well, but maybe Local 2 will be better. (1,080 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -27%

Poured from a corked and caged bottle. Smell: I get yeast, orange, cream and lime maybe? Taste: I taste what I smell. It reminds me of... A Belgian ale. It's a smooth beer. Carbonation is a little bitey though. Not my style beer, but I wanted to try something new. (264 characters)

I poured this non spectacular expensive beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was cloudy and had an odd yellow brown color to it. The head was nice and the beer had good lacing. It smelled and tasted yeasty with a bit of a fruity aftertaste I did not care for. A complex brew and just not for my uncomplicated mouth. No. (327 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -25.7%

Like the previous reviewer - I had high hopes for this beer and was glad to see it turn up in Alberta. A hefty price tag of $14.99 increased my hopes somewhat too... It poured a cloudy yellow and had an excellent white head. The first sip was good, but nothing amazing, the second had me thinking that I've had better. Taste of cloves and floral hops. Was a little over carbonated. I drank the bottle and though it went down ok, I was was underwhelmed.

La Fin Du Monde blows this out of the water and is half the price. (520 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -25.2%

Appearance: Very pale, sandy color. Lots of carbonation bubble rising to the top. Thick white foamy head. Very nice lacing.

Aroma: Subtle spiciness. Banana esters, cloves are present.

Taste: Spices are very upfront. I detected cinnamon, cloves and menthol. Really, menthol. Slight liquorish aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Highly highly carbonated. Just too much. The beer does settle down after a while. I would recommend letting the beer sit for about 20 minutes before you pick it up. (481 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -24.5%

A- Pours a hazy orange color with a light white head. Head stays around for a bit and leaves some nice lacing.

S- First thing that really jumped out at me was the yeasty like smells. Could also pick up a touch of pepper, bread, lemons and hops.

T- This beer was pretty disappointing to me. Thought it was pretty dry, bitter, and yeasty. Taste was lemon, pepper, and then finishes up with a ton of dried yeast and alcohol.

M- Fuller side of medium in body and pretty high carbonation.

D- Ok at best I think I don't see me coming back to this one. (550 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -24.3%

Recommended by a few BA's, I picked up a 22 oz. bomber of this over the weekend. Corked with a wire champagne cage, in the simple act of untwisting the wires and reaching for my beer mug, the cork exploded to the ceiling and scared the crap out of me. Beer immediately frothed out of the bottle and all over the kitchen counter and the floor. And no, I didn't even shake it up. I managed to save about half the bottle.

A: Waaaayyy too much head. From what I did pour out of the bottle with the most gentle of angled pours, it frothed up immediately into a huge 6" frosty white head in the mug. Retention is astounding as I let it sit in the mug for a solid five minutes with no reduction. Clings and laces like a MF'er. If you're looking for beer foam as a cooking ingredient, this is your beer. Don't even attempt to shake one of these suckers up as a joke. You'll kill somebody. When it did settle down, it was a medium bodied amber color.

S: Smells of biscuity, yeasty beer foam. Some notes of citrus and sweet malts on the nose.

T: Although balanced and not overly alcoholic, Lacks the depth of flavor and complexity found in true Belgian big beers. No dried fruity notes, no hops.... it's like drinking a lite Belgian beer (if that's possible).

M: Sudsy with heavy carbonation (like a coors). No bitters from the hops.

D: If you can get past wasting half the beer in foam form, it's drinkable but there just isn't as much there as others in this style. Putting this one in the pass pile. (1,498 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -24%

a. very light and clear straw color with short-lived white head

s. smells like a witbier, or tripel, sweet, lemony and wheaty

t. topheavy, mainly wheat and a little shortbread, finished almost completely empty

m. watery and heavily carbonated, crisp

d. sorry to say but kinda boring, very little complexity here, will not buy again (335 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -23.8%

Appearance – This is gorgeous! It’s a beautiful hazy orange in color with an amazing, stubborn head that left plenty of lacing.

Smell – The yeast is strong here. I’m getting an American-style yeast that seems off from the classic Saison nose. Besides that the malts are a bit grainy and the hops predominantly floral and very mild.

Taste – The American-style yeast drives the flavor profile as well. The light floral hops and classic grain taste rounds things out.

Mouthfeel – This is in between light and medium-bodied with a nice, velvety mouthfeel.

Drinkability – I thought this was off from the style but not a bad mix of ingredients. (657 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -23.8%

Appearance: Pours out a slightly hazed, golden-orange body with a tall, foaming, white head.

Smell: Pils malt wrapped in perfumy floral notes and wafting trails of sinus-clearing alcohol mixed with humble hints of banana, spice, and canned pears.

Taste: Confectioners' sugar on the tip of the tongue for a forwardly sweet start, with a smooth taste of pils malt. An upfront bite of alcohol surpasses subtler fruity elements of banana, lemon, and pear. Light hop notes, relatively low bitterness. Pops of coriander and peppercorn here and there. Sweetish, warm, raw finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium-plus carbonation.

Overall: I had tried this years ago when it was first release. I didn't like it. I thought I'd give'er another shot in 2012. I didn't like it. (773 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -22.3%

Brooklyn Local 1....

Appearance- Cloudy orange color, really fizzy head that keeps its thickness and stays intact, loads of carbonation.

Smell-yeasty, also hints of different sugars, alcohol is hidden well.

Taste/Mouthfeel- Oof, really malty off the bat, alcohol rises, sugars are kept well intact, some light citrus but really dark maltiness dominates, smooth and bubbly feel to the beer.

Drinkabilty- a strong flavored beer, for those who like the style and know how to handle it.

Overall- A fine beer, Brooklyn usually makes great stuff so I am not surprised. Maltiness is a little strong and I would've liked it a little more balanced so it isn't my favorite of the style, but it's fine. (698 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -22.3%

*did not mind would not buy*

app: hazy gold straw good bubbles, fluffy white head.

smell: wheat bannana pepper smell, kinda faint. not bad.

taste: some pepper spice nice warmth, then a normal blonde finish, nothing bad about this straight foward normal blegian type taste. lil to much candy i think but thats all. nothing special but NOTHING wrong. .. i think..

mf: fine, lill thick maybe

drinkable?: specially if you like the style. (439 characters)

Brooklyn Local 1 from Brooklyn Brewery