Brooklyn Local 1 - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Local 1Brooklyn Local 1

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.00% ABV

Brewed with German malts and hops, first-pressing Demerara cane sugar from Mauritius, and a Belgian yeast strain. 100% bottle re-fermentation; OG=18.5; AE=1.7. Classified as a "strong saison" by Garrett Oliver.

(Beer added by: akorsak on 02-18-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Local 1 Alström Bros
4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

Outstanding saison.

Poured a deep golden color (almost a light orange) with a moderately sized lacy head. The driving force behind this beer is the flavor. A complex character of fruitiness and hops, with distinctive notes of orange and lemons. The splash of spice at the beginning and the bite of tart at the end of each taste round out this very complete beer.

This beer could stand up against many of the belgian representations of this style. It's extremely drinkable and one of the very best I've had from Brooklyn.

smurphy77, Apr 16, 2007
4.59/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

From the corked, caged bottle marked 1903. Sampled on June 24, 2014.

I suppose I could give this a one word review and say "Outstanding!" But no, let's go on.

Gorgeous light amber pour building up to a significant white foamy head with delicate carbonation bubbles moving their way slowly up the glass in unison.

Oh wow, I cannot get enough of that aroma of toasted pale malts, Belgian yeast, Belgian sugar, pear, and light spice. Hops are not necessary to make this an enticing, inviting beer.

The body is medium to full. I would lean more toward mostly full, to borrow from Douglas Adams ("mostly harmless").

The taste is lovely with its toasted barley malt character, sugar and maybe brown sugar sweetness, chewy Belgian yeast, low hops, and overall complex character. Well worth the $8.65 I paid for it. I could drink this regularly.

puboflyons, Jun 25, 2014
4.6/5  rDev +11.4%

A - Golden yellow with orange tinge. A little bit hazy. This beer's bright white head is an absolute monstrosity and its retention is very good. It is sticky inward toward itself, though does not lace real well. Kind of interesting.

S - Huge aroma. Pineapple, banana, a dash of lemon, yeast, hops, with some spice...Perhaps coriander, white pepper.

T - Even better than the aroma. Follows the nose but has that wonderful belgian dry hoppiness and the crisp alcoholic finish. The yeastiness is in perfect equilibrium.

M - Very good. Light to medium bodied. Carbonated just right. Dry finish. Couldn't be much better.

D - Good drinkability. the high abv is always a detractor but this beer's body and hop-yeast balance make it very drinkable. The best belgian pale I've come across after Duvel.

jmerloni, May 06, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cork popped off like it was champagne and it even came in an ice bucket. Poured into a chalice. Pours a hazy blond with plenty of off white head. Aromas of banana, bread, lemon and Cayenne pepper. Flavors match the aromas, with plenty of malt coming through to have a touch of sweetness. Finishes with hints of pepper and spice and very dry. A crisp, refreshing mouthfeel with plenty of body on it.

Overall another great beer from Brooklyn. I will buy many of these and will do my best to share the bottle, although it will be difficult not to drink it all.

sdsurfer217, Jun 04, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Lots of different aromas: moderate malt, hay, straw, light hops, grass, banana, clove, pepper. Smale, creamy head, excellent lacing, clear , yellow. Can't taste the alcohol, but can feel it. Since Garrett raves about this style of beer and Saison Dupont , in particular, I was very eager to try this beer.

doubleipa, Oct 11, 2007
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Beautiful, classy 750 mL bottle. The Local 1 logo reminds me of Art Deco, but there's still the label on the neck with the Brooklyn "B". Once uncorked, it poured cloudy gold with a dense head into a tulip Duvel glass -- looked picture perfect and left thin lines to form a delicate lace. Aromas were mostly sweet fruity phenols, floral hops, and yeast. A hint of what's to come. I thought the taste ranked among the best -- lighter and more subtle than Tremens, but with just as much flavor. Incredibly well balanced with sweet light malts up front, tender floral hops in the back with a slight bitterness, and yeasty spice. Full mouthfeel with a dry finish, and an incredibly well-hidden 9% ABV make this, in my opinion, Garrett Oliver's crowning achievement to date. Very pleased.

jbsteiny, May 31, 2007
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - bright orange, clear, gigantic white fluffy head, tons of carbonation, looks great. Big gobs of lacing stick to the glass. I could probably come back in an hour, and there would still be carbonation and a nice head on it.

S - lots of citrus, lemon and orange, a bit of corriander spice perhaps, has that great aroma that I find in many blonde belgians that I associate with "summer"

T - controlled malt sweetness through to the dry boozy finish, lovely pepper spice intermingles with the malt. Hop bitternes is earthy and mellow. Some grainy/bready malt comes through in the finish along with more earthiness. Wow.

M - mouth filling airiness works well with the fresh flavours. Alcohol is well hidden.

D - This is spectacular, it won't take long for me to finish the 750ml bottle by myself.

If you follow my reviews, I'm occassionally bored by so called "classics." It's not that these beers are bad, but they just don't knock my socks off. And while this is not yet a classic, I had recently been bored by a few Belgian Strong Ales, so I wasn't sure what my palette would think of this.

This beer is blowing me away!

It's just superb. I would probably classify it as a Tripel, even though others say it is a Saison or a Strong Golden. However, as I work my way through the glass, I get less sweetness, and more earthiness, so maybe the Saison label is more fitting. Regardless, the fresh and lively character is just so appealing that I'm having a hard time pacing myself. The aftertaste is out of this world.

I had a tough time convincing myself to buy this bottle at the liquor store. A single 750ml bottle for $13... when there are 6-packs of Black Chocolate Stout right beside it for the same price? I ended up buying both, and I'm glad I did, only I wish I'd bought another one of these. On this same day, I passed on another high priced beer in favour of this one - Thomas Hardy. I think I made the right decision.

Worth every penny.

markaberrant, Mar 02, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +11.4%

Bottle poured into pint glass

A - Nice golden hazy coloring, but just clear enough to make out the logo on the other side of the pint glass. No real lacing or head to speak of.

S - I noted a citrus, lemon smell. Also a bit yeasty.

T - Yeasty and quite complex. Almost an earthy in-a-good-way. flavor.

M - Great mouthfeel. Drinks well and leaves a tickle on the tongue with good staying power.

O - Great beer (especially for price). Easy to drink and enjoy with a dinner as an alternative to wine.

PeterMacKellar, Feb 04, 2012
4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours a lovely yellow, almost clear hue. Much lighter in color than I had expected. The smell is what I am used to for a Belgium style ale. Nice yeasty, biscuity, kind of aroma. The taste has a pleasant bitterness to it. Nice hops flavor. Easy drinking for a 9%abv....TROUBLE.

Overall, I really like it. It's not a Belgium ale, but I don't think it's trying to be one either. More crisp. Smooth but with a hoppy snap.

johnnydollar, May 24, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

Brooklyn Local 1 pours out a hazy golden yellow, with an enormous billowing white head. Strong carbonation, and excellent retention.

Aroma is sweet, and spicy with yeasty tones, and underlays of pepper. Belgian sugars, hints of lemon, fusel alcohol, and grass.

Taste is sweet, and yeasty upfront. With sweet notes of ripened fruit - pineapple, banana, lemons, oranges, mango, papaya, and passion fruit. Complex depth, with notes of sweet, sour, tangy, bitter, and tart jumping all over the place. Balanced exceptionally with a nice floral/spicy hoppiness that creates a smooth drying mouthfeel and finish. Ends with lingering citrus sweet notes, and a crisp tongue numbing carbonation.

A very interesting and extremely complex beer. Highly enjoyable, and definitely worth checking out.
One of the better American Belgian renditions I've ever had, this is one damn good beer.
Well done Brooklyn!

HoustonTX, Dec 15, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours golden with a slight chill haze. Fairly short head and no real lacing are the only slight dissapointments in this brew. The aroma has light cloves, a touch of banana, and a faint whiff of spice. Pleasant if a little lighter than I would like. The flavor and mouthfeel, however, are home runs. Beautifully balanced and subtle, with the same flavors found in the nose, but some delicious fruitiness as well, perhaps cherrry. The banana and clove are also slightly more pronounced. The finish has a long sustained hit of candi sugar, that almost tastes like palm sugar. Sweet and creamy. The mouthfeel is relatively light and refreshing, but luxuriously creamy and smooth. Each sip I take causes this beer to grow on me more and more. Beautifully drinkable, and the alcohol is well hidden.

Georgiabeer, Jun 27, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

The appearance is golden and cloudy with a big fluffy white cap of foam. A beautiful bouquet enters the nose with lemon, yeast, some light bready notes, perhaps also some fresh fruit. Light carbonation makes the beer sally across the palate revealing flavors of citrus--lemon or orange, light malt breadiness, yeast and maybe apples. The beer finishes with a slight hint of spicy hops. This is a nicely balanced beer and very refreshing. The hefty alcohol content is not detectable at all and the beer is dangerously drinkable. Local 1 is definitely my favorite that I have tasted from Brooklyn thus far.

BeardedBoffin, Feb 17, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured from 25.4 oz. bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a semi-cloudy golden, with a huge four-finger head that takes awhile to dissipate, and the head puffs up right in the middle, creating a kind of hill. Really nice lacing left as I drink.

Smell: It's good. It smells a bit more like hops than I thought it would, malts, a bit boozy. Smells like a hint of cherries and various fruits.

Taste: Delicious. Moderate hop flavor with sweet malts and fruits, so extremely well balanced. Can't even detct the booze.

Mouthfeel: Creamy body with high carbonation, I'm very surprised at how drinkable this is, despite the ABV.

Overall: An awesome Belgian Strong Pale Ale, one of my favorites and highly recommended.

CowsCanBark, Dec 11, 2011
4.64/5  rDev +12.3%

rel, Nov 05, 2014
4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Appearance is what you'd expect - nice white head on top of a yellowy orange brew that's slightly opaque. Nose is exactly where it's supposed to be. Tons of coriander and other spices, along with a good hit of lemon. Also some deep, dried fruit aromas mixed in with the malty sweetness. Excellent nose. Flavor is crazy citrusy up front. Spices start to show up in the middle, but especially as the brew warms. The spiciness works nicely into the surprisingly strong hops that come through on the back of the tongue. Some slightly chalky malt all over the mouth as well. Alcohol comes through a little bit as the beer warms up. An unique and interesting brew. Carbonation is really high, and kind of picks at your tongue as you drink (although I'm not meaning that in a bad way). Happy to try this one...one of the better Brooklyn brews I've gotten my hands on.

750ml/Washington DC/Whole Foods/$7.99

soupyman10, May 28, 2008

Poured from 750 ml bottle

A - Poured a hazy orangey yellow with a creamy head that left nice lacing around the glass. There was good head retention, didn't stay full but did not disapate completely.

S - Could smell the malt and the belgian yeaste, and also a the hops that had a citrus smell. Very nice smell.

T - A complex taste that starts off like a typical belgian ale but you can taste the hops as well as a little bit of the alcohol. As this beer warms it becomes a little more mellow and the stronger taste becomes more sweeter. Overall great taste, that will keep you coming back for more.

M - Mouthfeel is good, very smooth and clean not too crisp. Nice creamy feel do to the bottle conditioning.

D - Very drinkable strong ale, would never turn this one down.

rpardon7, Jun 10, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Served from a 750ml corked bottle. The cork pops off easily. The beer was poured into a wine glass.

Beer pours a cloudy golden straw color with a large 3 finger head. The head settles down to a film after some time and easily clings to the side of the glass.

The noise is yeasty with some citrus, corriandor and hops. The beer starts out highly effervescent and surpisingly refined. The flavors are much more subtle than I expected. There is some wheat, zesty citrus and a good but not overpowering hops backbone. As the beer goes down the flavors become more bold. The yeast and the hops take a larger role.

The beer is very light in the mouth with a high level of carbination. Overall a very well balanced and enjoyable beer worth seeking out.

gosurfobx, Aug 21, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

This beer was amazing. 750 ML bottle. The taste was fresh but pleasant. Fruity but complex. Absolutely the best beer I have ever had. A good beer to store in the basement for a special occasion. Easy to drink, with a decent alcohol content that is really unnoticeable. I cannot say enough about this brew.

skatonic, Mar 26, 2012
4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours a clouded straw gold with a huge white head. Nose is strong with yeast and a sugar tone. Just smelling it brings back memories of all the great Belgian brews I have had to this point in my beer journey. Flavor is superb. Put this in a plain bottle and no one would know it was out of Brooklyn I am willing to wager. Smooth and even sweetness with a noticeable yeast influence. So well balanced and smooth. Unbelievable. Feel is as good as everything else has been to this point. Smooth and with a great level of bubble on the tongue. Drinkable to the worlds joy and detriment. I immediately just wanted to go back and get more.

RblWthACoz, Dec 30, 2007
4.66/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A high, fluffy head floats atop a pale, yellow-amber, clear elixir. The nose is more floral than fruity. The beer's physical character is an accomplished balance of thirst-quenching prickliness and foamy smoothness. Taste? Apricots. It has to be classed as sweet, but completely free of cloyingness. The beer is refreshing but substantial. It's lighter, I suppose, than the estimable Maredsous Tripel, with which it shares stature, but in a good way. Put me down as a fan. Quite good.

Altrurian, Feb 02, 2013
4.67/5  rDev +13.1%

Bottle dated 10/7/2013, so about a year old:
Pours a cloudy straw yellow. The head was almost unstoppable on the pour, medium soapy bubbles that continued to collect, and lasts well into the drink. With a light behind the beer, the carbonation sustaining the head is visible and rolling; lacing is full, pretty close to a perfect look if not one.

The nose is mild, with fairly typical Belgian yeast notes, but really a light peach or pear sweet-tart nose, and perhaps just a touch of banana -tinged sweetness . A deep sniff does bring out a slightly different tart/sweet balance - granny smith apple and pineapple. Either way, there is a nice balance of sweet and tart.

The taste more or less follows the nose, actually starting with a nice smooth, fresh-baked bread sweetness, which is backed initially more-so by the carbonation adding a bite to the beer that is more feel-based than flavor-based. As the carbonation fades, there is a tartness that, given the bready tastes I get, is akin to the bite that a nice sourdough gets. I do get apple and pear as well in the back of the tongue as the carbonation fades. (I don't get an obvious transition to the hops, but if I search, something has to balance the malt, and what I get is fairly floral, but I am stretching to describe this.)

This is a very good beer, I had somewhat high expectations, and this is one of the few beers that probably exceeded them. A very well done, close to perfectly balanced beer (carbonation is just a bit stronger than I'd like). Nothing jumps out to grab you, and that, to me, is just fine. Well done!

cjgiant, Sep 29, 2014
4.68/5  rDev +13.3%

22oz pours an apple juice color with cloudiness at the bottom - many fingered head that a little too quickly disappears.

Smell is apples, wheat, fruity esters.

Taste is friggin' delicious. Spicy on the entry like a saison, follows through with a full fruity Belgian yeast flavor. Wow. Grains fill it out, a slight hoppy finish. Dry finish and yet lively carbonation - alive.

This is such a well rounded, full, delicious beer. Pretty much as delicious as it gets.

ritzkiss, May 15, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +13.3%

This beer rocks!!! It's a saison all the way. It's closest to DuPont Avec... However it doesn't have the cognac taste. It is beguiling.It's actually a changeling...the flavor goes from sweet to citric...I'd prefer you to drink it in lieu of telling you about it. Somethings are better left unsaid. Garrett...your love of the style shines through. Thank you...Case up...and make this a regular offering particularly in Chicago please.

faernt, Apr 06, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +13.3%

Straw color, with a white head, good retention and heavy lacing.

In the nose is orange, lemon, and sweet grain with a slight floral background.

This beer pops beautifully in the mouth - full on flavor all at once. The sting of carbonation hits hard and releases multiple flavors at once in perfect harmony. Nice full chewey grain taste backed by citrus and fresh floral and greens - finnishes dry, leaving your mouth craving more. An excellent brew!

Chickenhawk9932, Dec 12, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +13.3%

A - this beer looks great in a glass; hazy orange hues with a thick
white frothy head just waiting to be devoured.

S - lots of citrus and malts here with a familiar spice found in many
belgian ales

T - if this was a blind tasting this beer would easily be recognized
as a saison(in my opinion) and a very good one at that.

M - a very creamy beer that really dominates your mouth with all sorts of flavors.

D initially I wasn't impressed with the taste, not because it was
an inferior beer , but I just didn't think there was enough
there to justify the extra cost compared to similar ales.
However after a few sips and with some warming the
complexity of the beer really became more evident. There is a
depth to this beer I can't quit discern, but boy is it good.

israel, Jun 06, 2008