Brooklyn Local 1 - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: akorsak on 02-18-2007

Brewed with German malts and hops, first-pressing Demerara cane sugar from Mauritius, and a Belgian yeast strain. 100% bottle re-fermentation; OG=18.5; AE=1.7. Classified as a "strong saison" by Garrett Oliver.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,910 | Reviews: 909
4.11/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a hazy golden with a ridiculous frothy, 3-finger head, part of which stays throughout. Lots of lacing.

The smell is mainly sweet malts, vanilla and bubble gum, but all scents are subtle. Taste is strong on apple vinegar, lemon & faint malts. Mouthfeel is crisp.

This is an excellent beer that covers up the ABV until the tail end.

3.83/5  rDev -7.3%

here comes the cocktail napkin review in your face

-foggy apple, white head

-shitty apple (aka red apple)

-sweet Belgian, alcohol through the back end that sits in your throat for awhile

-taste (not sure?), alcohol melts on your tongue and sits. pretty decent carb feel

-not bad for a 9% as soon as it filters through your mouth, you want more

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

good looking american belgian. drinks more like a white than a strong pale... so I feel like I may be reviewing it as one... but it's still a great beer.

pours light, HUGE stark white head into a bulbous tulip. cloudy and more than appealing.

smells like straight sugar more than anything else. estery to an extent... bananas and mild red apple... and a bit wet? I don't know where the wet comes in... but I wanna say "wet".

sweet and mild on the tongue. mild malts and a TOUCH hot, but the alcohol is very well masked.

mouth feel's nice. light but not TOO light. this is the one poit that's indicative of the "pale" title that's come with this beer. it's a light/medium body that's totally manageable.

this beer is beyond drinkable. While it's not my absolute favorite, I definitely enjoy it and could drink tons of the stuff... especially if it weren't 9% abv.

3.53/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

They advertise this beer being like a duvel, belgian strong pale ale but it's really not as good. However, when not compared to the sacred duvel, this is a pretty good beer that should perhaps be in other size bottles beside the 750 ml size. Would recommend with caution.

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

From a 75 cl.

Pours a hazy honey gold with a thick white head that comes down slowly.

Smells of fresh grains and quality malts. A bit of a honey sweetness to it.

Tastes malty and a bit citrusy, like lemon. Also honey and the aforementioned fresh grains. A bit of alcohol taste rounds it out.

The mouthfeel is full and sudsy.

Fantastic! This is a really got beer in the Belgian strong pale ale variety. Trippel fans will also like it. Holds up very well against anything truly from Belgium and I will look for it again.

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

This beer pours a cloudy pale orange color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes slowly into nice lacing. The aroma is star anise, coriander, cloves, and a mild yeasty funk. It is fragrant, and rather complex. But there is something about it, probably the plethora of anise, that just doesn't click with me. The taste is more funky than the aroma, with the anise more subdued. The coriander and clove are strong. I like this beer's flavor a little more than the aroma, but it still seems odd for a Belgian Strong Pale Ale. It is not bad just odd. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with a smooth texture, and lively carbonation. Overall, I can tell you if a beer is crafted with quality, and if I like. But, sometimes they aren't the same answer. This beer was most certainly crafted with quality, and I'm sure there are many people out there who would thoroughly enjoy it. However, I do not. That is not to say that I dislike it, I just dislike this interpretation of a Belgian Strong Pale Ale.

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

Had this a while back but took notes. Poured a pal golden color with foamy white head that faded somewhat slowly and left good lacing. Smelled of malt, yeast, fruit, and spices. Tasted of fruit, spice, yeast, light hops, and malt. Smooth, but slightly overcarbed and left the tongue with a slightly bitter feeling. I definitely enjoyed the big bottle.

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

Thanks to sanatar for opening this one up and sharing it with friends.

Three fingers of gorgeous white, frothy head. A hazy, light golden hue is really inviting. Wonderful retention and some fluffy lacing on the tulip. Aromas are heavy in an amalgamation of ripe fruits. Flavors are wheat and spice, and incredibly fruity. A medium body and crisp mouthfeel add to the wonders of this refreshing beer. I really look forward to drinking a bottle of this one again.

4.27/5  rDev +3.4%

Champagne bottle poured into over-sized wine glass.

Pours a nice pretty golden with just a touch of haze and tons of very tight, very fine foam. Nose is a nice piny, citrusy, spicy Belgian character--a generally Belgian aroma but definitely a bit of that dryish, bready German essence. Mouthfeel is very light for the 9% abv, and there's also a robust, scrubbing-bubbles type of carbonation. Taste is definitely something different--slight citrus spiciness with a distinct dry bite. Hard to put my finger on what else is in there, but I suspect it's the German and Belgian elements mingling. Very cool beer and a great substitute for a dry white wine with dinner. I really liked this one!

4.42/5  rDev +7%

Pours a slightly cloudy yellow color with a tall head that hangs around for a while and leaves plenty of lacing on the glass. The aroma reminds me of a witbier - banana, clove, spice, and citrus. The flavor is very nice. Has a very nice spice character to go along with the citrus and clove flavors. Yeasty flavors are nice. The body is medium and it is quite refreshing at 9%. Nice brew.

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

Nice corked and caged 750. I was so excited to find this at my grocery store.

Appearance: Light yellow-orange with a little haze. What a head! Thick poofy white thing that sticks around for a few minutes.

Smell: Can something smell dry? This does. You can tell from the smell its a belgian-style though. Yeastiness and spice. Tart fruit smell. Like apples or grapes. Like a bready smelling champagne.

Taste: Yeah. Dry. Really dry. Much less bread in the taste than the smell. Nice spiciness and tart fruit. Alcohol. More alcohol. I can't get the idea of champagne out of my head, but I wish I could. It finishes nice and sweet though. The finish is actually way better than the way it tastes up front.

Mouthfeel: Its nice, really. Highly carbonated so that its all tingly. Very smooth and creamy, but finishes nice and dry and refreshing.

Drinkability: Man. I really wanted to like this more. Its fine, I guess. Interesting, and I'm glad I had it. I hate to pan something from a brewery that I really like when they branch out to do something new but its just nowhere near as good as many other BSPAs. Its also not cheap. At all. Nine bucks for my 750. You can buy a 4 pack of Pranqster from North Coast for that which is better in my opinion. Overall, a solid attempt from the guys at Brooklyn which is good, but falls a little short. I hope to try the Local 2 soon (I guess I already tried it at a beer festival, but I don't "remember" it for some reason).

4.75/5  rDev +15%

Hazy, honey-hued brew with a perfect two fingers of ultra-stable head. Lacing is thick and even, perfectly coating the glass' walls.

Grassy, hay-like malt, peppery spice and some powdery esters...honeysuckle finish. Smells awfully close to perfection.

Soft clove and bubblegum like a hefe but with and unmistakable Belgian malt body framed by candied orange peel, honey and apricots. There's even a noble hop kick right before the semisweet, clean finish. Yeah, I'm a big fan of this one.

Effervescent yet controlled with a perfect body. The alcohol is only slightly detectable and it's dastardly drinkable for a Belgian strong. Worth the wait.

4.27/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from 750 ml bottle into Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Pours a straw golden color with a fluffy white head. Head sticks around for a while. Leaves patchy white lacing.

Smell: Smell is very complex. The first thing I think of is banana. Followed by lemons and some spices. Prominent clove smell, and maybe cinnamon. Whatever hops are in this beer are masked in the smell

Taste: Lemon and spices are first. Hops are much more prominent in the taste than in the smell. Nice biscuity malt to go with the hops. Grainy flavor at the back of the tongue. I will say that the cloves and peppery spices are very very strong in this beer. Lot's of different flavors coming together here.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, but a bit on the heavy side for a Pale. Carbonation is very high. Dry, almost like white wine.

Drinkability: I think this is a spring beer if I ever saw one. A bit heavy for the summer, but too light for the fall. Not really a session beer, but you can kill the 750 with no problem.

Overall: I think this beer would be an excellent beer to serve to all your wine drinking friends. In fact I think it's very similar to a dry white wine. A good beer to serve with salad or a nice cheese plate.

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

I'm surprised this beer got so many average reviews.

Simply put this is now a favorite of mine. I love Belgian Pale ales with high abv and this is the creme de la crem. Outstanding in every area reviewed, this brew possessed everything I look for in a BPA.

Extremely drinkable with pear, banana, apples and tangerine. Hops and malt are very well balanced with the yeast which is perfect. Honey and pale malt. Toasty biscuit.

Outstanding silky, fluffy and luxurious mouthfeel to this beer. Alcohol very well hidden, I've had American pale ales at 5.6% that taste more boozy than this beer.

Fantastic, a gem, a treasure and a summer session belgian at 9.0%? You can do the math-!

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

5 oz pour at the Flying Saucer Tri-Beer tasting served in a tulip glass a crisp straw yellow with a decent head that diminished to a thin layer. Aroma is slight sweet fruits with citrus and spice. The taste is sweet fruits and citrus malts with loads of spice in the finish. The beer is on the heavy side of medium with decent carbonation. This is a very enjoyable, refreshing beer.

3.08/5  rDev -25.4%

A- Pours a hazy orange color with a light white head. Head stays around for a bit and leaves some nice lacing.

S- First thing that really jumped out at me was the yeasty like smells. Could also pick up a touch of pepper, bread, lemons and hops.

T- This beer was pretty disappointing to me. Thought it was pretty dry, bitter, and yeasty. Taste was lemon, pepper, and then finishes up with a ton of dried yeast and alcohol.

M- Fuller side of medium in body and pretty high carbonation.

D- Ok at best I think I don't see me coming back to this one.

4.11/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

I picked this up after ACBF because of the love it recieved by most of the BA people around the booth and I had not gotten a chance to try it. I was not dissapointed in the least. The Beer had a good body to it. Very Fruity smell and taste. the after taste was excellent as well. This is a great beer for sitting on a porch on a warm summer eavning. I will definitly be picking it up again.

4.13/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a pint glass because most of my glassware is packed. Pours a nice golden yellow with more than two fingers of creamy white head, great lacing. Fairly hazy, lots of visible carbonation. Looks great. Smells of sweet light fruit, some bitterness, fair amount of yeast.

Semi-sweet and tart fruits--like green and yellow apples, perhaps--plus heavy carbonation make for a very pleasant sensation. I can taste yeast and some hops. Great dry finish with the carbonation dying down a bit on the back end.

Strong, but the alcohol is somewhat difficult to detect until after you swallow the beer. Refreshing, complex enough to keep me coming back to the bottle. Lack of clarity likely has to do with the "bottle fermentation" it boasts, but the same is responsible for all these yeasty notes so I certainly won't complain of that overmuch.

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

A very light peach/straw yellow color. Billowing white head. Beautiful to look at and really have not seen anything else that looks like it. Great carbonation as well. I want to try bottle fermentation. So much going on when it hits your lips. Starts a lot like any Belgian and then picks up with some very sweet, almost tart flavors. Strong. A little on the heavy side, but still very smooth to was down nicely. Very easy to drink but after a couple of these 750mL bottles should be well on my way. Another goodie from the Brooklyn Brewery.

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

A: The cork exploded out of the top of the bottle as soon as I unscrewed the cage. It quickly rose out of the bottle a bit, but I was quick to pour it up in my tulip. Pours a gold color with a massively fluffy white head. I dare say this rivals Duvel in appearance, but the retention isn't quite as impressive. The beer is supremely carbonated (from appearance, anyway), and a stream of fine bubbles are rocketing up from the etchings on the bottom of my glass.

S: Grainy German malts, like in a helles lager, produce grassy/herbal aromas and a bit of honey. Hop aroma is lemony, slightly spicy, and herbal. There's a distinct pear/green-apple fruit aroma, as well. Clove aromas emerge with warming. Highly complex, and rather bold. I'm a fan.

T&M: Peppery, spicy, and light fruity/grainy. Notes of black pepper, clove, pear/green-apples, and bubblegum are all present, but the pepper, clove, and fruit are the most up-front. Strong phenols, a hint of alcohol, and a grainy/dry malt flavor finish it off. The finish is short and lightly drying, but quite satisfying. A very complex and interesting beer. Body is medium to light with a nice, medium-level carbonation that tingles the palate. Nothing to get excited about, but it works well for the style.

D: Rather drinkable. I didn't find alcohol to be too up-front or offensive like some other reviewers did. A clean, well-brewed and enjoyable beer that I'd definitely buy again to both cellar and enjoy immediately.

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a 750 ml, corked and caged into a snifter.

A: Nice looking, hazy yellow. Thick white head with decent retention. Left nice sticky rings of lacing on the glass.

S: Sweet and yeasty. Typically Belgian, with a little bit of a ripe fruit not, maybe banana.

T: Like it smells. Touch of cloves and other spices on the finish, which is kind of short and clean. Not a trace of alcohol taste.

M: Excellent. Silky smooth with excellent carbonation balance.

D: Very good beer and easy to drink. Be careful, because at 9%, it's a little too easy to drink.

From a brewery notable 750 ml bottle, this beer is a cloudy, golden color with a tall, firm, and very stable white head. The brew has a a peppery, spicy, Belgian aroma. Lots of Belgian yeast and spice character. There's a nice pale malt backdrop, followed by a little alcohol and fresh fruit (under-ripe pear). The taste is semi-sweet, with yeast, malt, and musty hop characteristics. The beer is a little spritzy in the front, but it quiets down by the finish. There's a notable warming in the taste. This one is engaging and well done.

4.42/5  rDev +7%

Pours a gold color with a huge fluffy white head. Lots of carbonation in the glass. A nice belgian yeast, bready, clove, spice, fuity aroma. A strong belgian ale flavor with some peppery spice, clove, warm alcohol, and fruit flavors. As the beer warmed up a little the peppery, earthy hop flavors really popped out. Very nice mix of belgian with the hops. Good mouthfeel an nice high carbonation to give the beer a prickly spice. I really liked this beer, I could drink it in large quantities.

3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

Bottle courtasy of deleriumfest.

Poured from a 750ml brown corked and caged bottle. The bottle itself presents very nicely.
Poured into an oversized snifter. Producing a good 2'' head, slow to receed. At rest the head has now left a quarter inch of retention, that lasts until the liquid is gone.
Color is a light golden yellow, semi hazy.

Aroma of banana's, cloves, some fruity floral flower aroma, crisp biteing lemon twang, fresh cut hay like hops, pie crust and a lemon merange like aroma.

Taste is very crisp with a fermented honey kolsch like flavor and crisp biteing carbonation. There is a very mild fuller body like creamyness from carbonation. Bitter lemon bite throughout, cloves and maybe corriander?
Grassy hops, a bit of boozy warmth.

I'm not a fan of this style of beer, its safe to say I'm not enjoying it. although I can appreciate it for following the style well and rate it accordingly. If I never had this again, I would not be upset.

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

Oh Ya!!! Lovely beer

appearance: golden, amber

smell: sweet bread aroma

taste: High sweet taste as belgians have and large alcholic presence. You can taste how big the berer is but not overwhelming.

mouthfeel: good carbonation

drinkability: very easy and smooth. I could drink a few of these a night

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Brooklyn Local 1 from Brooklyn Brewery