Brooklyn Local 1 - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: akorsak on 02-18-2007

Brewed with German malts and hops, first-pressing Demerara cane sugar from Mauritius, and a Belgian yeast strain. 100% bottle re-fermentation; OG=18.5; AE=1.7. Classified as a "strong saison" by Garrett Oliver.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Local 1 Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,943 | Reviews: 914
4.62/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance is what you'd expect - nice white head on top of a yellowy orange brew that's slightly opaque. Nose is exactly where it's supposed to be. Tons of coriander and other spices, along with a good hit of lemon. Also some deep, dried fruit aromas mixed in with the malty sweetness. Excellent nose. Flavor is crazy citrusy up front. Spices start to show up in the middle, but especially as the brew warms. The spiciness works nicely into the surprisingly strong hops that come through on the back of the tongue. Some slightly chalky malt all over the mouth as well. Alcohol comes through a little bit as the beer warms up. An unique and interesting brew. Carbonation is really high, and kind of picks at your tongue as you drink (although I'm not meaning that in a bad way). Happy to try this one...one of the better Brooklyn brews I've gotten my hands on.

750ml/Washington DC/Whole Foods/$7.99

4.62/5  rDev +11.9%

Served from a 750ml corked bottle. The cork pops off easily. The beer was poured into a wine glass.

Beer pours a cloudy golden straw color with a large 3 finger head. The head settles down to a film after some time and easily clings to the side of the glass.

The noise is yeasty with some citrus, corriandor and hops. The beer starts out highly effervescent and surpisingly refined. The flavors are much more subtle than I expected. There is some wheat, zesty citrus and a good but not overpowering hops backbone. As the beer goes down the flavors become more bold. The yeast and the hops take a larger role.

The beer is very light in the mouth with a high level of carbination. Overall a very well balanced and enjoyable beer worth seeking out.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cork popped off like it was champagne and it even came in an ice bucket. Poured into a chalice. Pours a hazy blond with plenty of off white head. Aromas of banana, bread, lemon and Cayenne pepper. Flavors match the aromas, with plenty of malt coming through to have a touch of sweetness. Finishes with hints of pepper and spice and very dry. A crisp, refreshing mouthfeel with plenty of body on it.

Overall another great beer from Brooklyn. I will buy many of these and will do my best to share the bottle, although it will be difficult not to drink it all.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Lots of different aromas: moderate malt, hay, straw, light hops, grass, banana, clove, pepper. Smale, creamy head, excellent lacing, clear , yellow. Can't taste the alcohol, but can feel it. Since Garrett raves about this style of beer and Saison Dupont , in particular, I was very eager to try this beer.

4.62/5  rDev +11.9%

The appearance is golden and cloudy with a big fluffy white cap of foam. A beautiful bouquet enters the nose with lemon, yeast, some light bready notes, perhaps also some fresh fruit. Light carbonation makes the beer sally across the palate revealing flavors of citrus--lemon or orange, light malt breadiness, yeast and maybe apples. The beer finishes with a slight hint of spicy hops. This is a nicely balanced beer and very refreshing. The hefty alcohol content is not detectable at all and the beer is dangerously drinkable. Local 1 is definitely my favorite that I have tasted from Brooklyn thus far.

4.62/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A high, fluffy head floats atop a pale, yellow-amber, clear elixir. The nose is more floral than fruity. The beer's physical character is an accomplished balance of thirst-quenching prickliness and foamy smoothness. Taste? Apricots. It has to be classed as sweet, but completely free of cloyingness. The beer is refreshing but substantial. It's lighter, I suppose, than the estimable Maredsous Tripel, with which it shares stature, but in a good way. Put me down as a fan. Quite good.

4.6/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

From the corked, caged bottle marked 1903. Sampled on June 24, 2014.

I suppose I could give this a one word review and say "Outstanding!" But no, let's go on.

Gorgeous light amber pour building up to a significant white foamy head with delicate carbonation bubbles moving their way slowly up the glass in unison.

Oh wow, I cannot get enough of that aroma of toasted pale malts, Belgian yeast, Belgian sugar, pear, and light spice. Hops are not necessary to make this an enticing, inviting beer.

The body is medium to full. I would lean more toward mostly full, to borrow from Douglas Adams ("mostly harmless").

The taste is lovely with its toasted barley malt character, sugar and maybe brown sugar sweetness, chewy Belgian yeast, low hops, and overall complex character. Well worth the $8.65 I paid for it. I could drink this regularly.

4.6/5  rDev +11.4%

This beer was amazing. 750 ML bottle. The taste was fresh but pleasant. Fruity but complex. Absolutely the best beer I have ever had. A good beer to store in the basement for a special occasion. Easy to drink, with a decent alcohol content that is really unnoticeable. I cannot say enough about this brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Beautiful, classy 750 mL bottle. The Local 1 logo reminds me of Art Deco, but there's still the label on the neck with the Brooklyn "B". Once uncorked, it poured cloudy gold with a dense head into a tulip Duvel glass -- looked picture perfect and left thin lines to form a delicate lace. Aromas were mostly sweet fruity phenols, floral hops, and yeast. A hint of what's to come. I thought the taste ranked among the best -- lighter and more subtle than Tremens, but with just as much flavor. Incredibly well balanced with sweet light malts up front, tender floral hops in the back with a slight bitterness, and yeasty spice. Full mouthfeel with a dry finish, and an incredibly well-hidden 9% ABV make this, in my opinion, Garrett Oliver's crowning achievement to date. Very pleased.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - bright orange, clear, gigantic white fluffy head, tons of carbonation, looks great. Big gobs of lacing stick to the glass. I could probably come back in an hour, and there would still be carbonation and a nice head on it.

S - lots of citrus, lemon and orange, a bit of corriander spice perhaps, has that great aroma that I find in many blonde belgians that I associate with "summer"

T - controlled malt sweetness through to the dry boozy finish, lovely pepper spice intermingles with the malt. Hop bitternes is earthy and mellow. Some grainy/bready malt comes through in the finish along with more earthiness. Wow.

M - mouth filling airiness works well with the fresh flavours. Alcohol is well hidden.

D - This is spectacular, it won't take long for me to finish the 750ml bottle by myself.

If you follow my reviews, I'm occassionally bored by so called "classics." It's not that these beers are bad, but they just don't knock my socks off. And while this is not yet a classic, I had recently been bored by a few Belgian Strong Ales, so I wasn't sure what my palette would think of this.

This beer is blowing me away!

It's just superb. I would probably classify it as a Tripel, even though others say it is a Saison or a Strong Golden. However, as I work my way through the glass, I get less sweetness, and more earthiness, so maybe the Saison label is more fitting. Regardless, the fresh and lively character is just so appealing that I'm having a hard time pacing myself. The aftertaste is out of this world.

I had a tough time convincing myself to buy this bottle at the liquor store. A single 750ml bottle for $13... when there are 6-packs of Black Chocolate Stout right beside it for the same price? I ended up buying both, and I'm glad I did, only I wish I'd bought another one of these. On this same day, I passed on another high priced beer in favour of this one - Thomas Hardy. I think I made the right decision.

Worth every penny.

4.59/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Absolutely delicious. About an inch and a half of head the snifter, nice vanilla tones, great mouth feel, and refreshing for its abv. A+

4.59/5  rDev +11.1%

a: The pour into my oversized snifter give a persistent, pure white head that slowly falls to leave a complete layer on top. The beer is a clear, bright golden-straw in color.

s: The aroma is outstanding. Aromas of fresh, nectar laden orchids and lilies abound as papery aromatic hops blend into the juicy fruit pale malt backbone. Vodka soaked tangerines and candied underripe peaches linger. Delicate spice and a graceful note of coriander. Understated, chalky yeast aroma reminiscent of floury, unbaked dough.

m: High and lively carbonation that's smooth and prickly at once, with loads of dense, tiny bubbles. Great body here...deceptively lingering around the medium range, it's exceptionally clean and smooth on the tongue.

t: Straight delicious. For the most part, it lives up to the complexity of the aroma, a trait I often find lacking in many Belgians. Pale Belgian malts give a moderate, clean sweetness and open up flavors of sweet flowers and delicate citrus. A bit of chalky yeast in the medium sweet-dry finish. Gentle hop flavors of the papery variety.

d: exceptionally (dangerously) easy to consume at this cool temperature, the 9% barely peeks out in this unseasonably cool summer heat until it hits the stomach (this bottle is going to do me in)

from zrrbrrt on the final leg of No BS Beta...easily the best Brooklyn beer I've had, and I'll most certainly pick up another for the winter now that this is around town

bottle 1017 on 9/19/2013: About 7 years on at this point, picked this one up when I loved on Chester Ave at NCSU. Fairly heavily oxidized at this point with some brown fruit character- overripe banana and peach - spread over honey, stone fruit, and touches of citrus. Some interesting yeasty character, more banana, and an age-absence of hops. Not terrible, but I can't say age did it any favors - still interesting to take in and think about from when and where it came.

4.59/5  rDev +11.1%

If my face had been over the beer as I was popping it, I would now be in the emergency room... seriously!

A: Beautiful, mildly cloudy, apricot color, with a massive solid white, shaving cream-esque head that stayed foamy for a looong time!

S: Sweet citrus (apricots and oranges), and lemon. These aspects, combined with an Alka-Seltzer-like zing, add up to a beer that is nothing short of perfection. Yankee Candle needs to jump on this right away!

T: After waiting several minutes for the head to die down, I finally got a taste. The main thing I truly love (and notice first) about Brooklyn's beers is it's very refreshing, filtered-water, almost champagne-like quality. This one is no exception. Tempered citrus, fresh yeast, and exceptionally disciplined spice content (or lack thereof). How did they do it?

M: Sweet enough, but not too. The slight bit of pepperiness and high carbonation cut the Belgian funk down to size, making this one of the few Belgian PAs that I know of that might also appeal to non-beer drinkers (IMO anyway).

O: I am a big fan of Brooklyn brewery... and beers like this is the reason why.

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

Brooklyn Local 1 pours out a hazy golden yellow, with an enormous billowing white head. Strong carbonation, and excellent retention.

Aroma is sweet, and spicy with yeasty tones, and underlays of pepper. Belgian sugars, hints of lemon, fusel alcohol, and grass.

Taste is sweet, and yeasty upfront. With sweet notes of ripened fruit - pineapple, banana, lemons, oranges, mango, papaya, and passion fruit. Complex depth, with notes of sweet, sour, tangy, bitter, and tart jumping all over the place. Balanced exceptionally with a nice floral/spicy hoppiness that creates a smooth drying mouthfeel and finish. Ends with lingering citrus sweet notes, and a crisp tongue numbing carbonation.

A very interesting and extremely complex beer. Highly enjoyable, and definitely worth checking out.
One of the better American Belgian renditions I've ever had, this is one damn good beer.
Well done Brooklyn!

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

From American Beer Distributers in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn. Poured from bottle into white wine glass.

A: Thick white bubbly head made of small, tight bubbles, very pale gold
S: Pineapple, yeasty notes, citrus
T: Crisp and mouthwatering front, fruity malt rises to the forefront, leading into a gently lingering dryness with a touch of grassy hops
M: Moderate bodied, crisp but mellow
D: Alcohol content is understated, not too filling, complex but in a straightforward way thats very approachable. Has a generically "familiar" taste to it, in that these are some quintessential flavors in a style that's done as close to perfection as possible

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

I gotta review these while they are still fresh in my mind. Had several glasses at the Brooklyn dinner in North Miami, 4/11.

Served in a goblet, the head was as billowing and enticing as any Belgian. Well-laced down the sides of the glass.

Aroma - I noted a very appealing cinnamon and nutmeg over a base Duvel-like nose.

Taste - Well-spiced and alcohol well-hidden, it's a more-than-credible Belgian. As good as any you might find from one of the masters.

Feel - Perfect. Right amount of priming sugar makes this effervescent but not overbearing.

Drinkability - I very nearly drank too much of this during the reception. Very easy to put back, a real winner.

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from 25.4 oz. bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a semi-cloudy golden, with a huge four-finger head that takes awhile to dissipate, and the head puffs up right in the middle, creating a kind of hill. Really nice lacing left as I drink.

Smell: It's good. It smells a bit more like hops than I thought it would, malts, a bit boozy. Smells like a hint of cherries and various fruits.

Taste: Delicious. Moderate hop flavor with sweet malts and fruits, so extremely well balanced. Can't even detct the booze.

Mouthfeel: Creamy body with high carbonation, I'm very surprised at how drinkable this is, despite the ABV.

Overall: An awesome Belgian Strong Pale Ale, one of my favorites and highly recommended.

4.57/5  rDev +10.7%

A - Golden yellow with orange tinge. A little bit hazy. This beer's bright white head is an absolute monstrosity and its retention is very good. It is sticky inward toward itself, though does not lace real well. Kind of interesting.

S - Huge aroma. Pineapple, banana, a dash of lemon, yeast, hops, with some spice...Perhaps coriander, white pepper.

T - Even better than the aroma. Follows the nose but has that wonderful belgian dry hoppiness and the crisp alcoholic finish. The yeastiness is in perfect equilibrium.

M - Very good. Light to medium bodied. Carbonated just right. Dry finish. Couldn't be much better.

D - Good drinkability. the high abv is always a detractor but this beer's body and hop-yeast balance make it very drinkable. The best belgian pale I've come across after Duvel.

4.57/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours golden with a slight chill haze. Fairly short head and no real lacing are the only slight dissapointments in this brew. The aroma has light cloves, a touch of banana, and a faint whiff of spice. Pleasant if a little lighter than I would like. The flavor and mouthfeel, however, are home runs. Beautifully balanced and subtle, with the same flavors found in the nose, but some delicious fruitiness as well, perhaps cherrry. The banana and clove are also slightly more pronounced. The finish has a long sustained hit of candi sugar, that almost tastes like palm sugar. Sweet and creamy. The mouthfeel is relatively light and refreshing, but luxuriously creamy and smooth. Each sip I take causes this beer to grow on me more and more. Beautifully drinkable, and the alcohol is well hidden.

4.57/5  rDev +10.7%

3/18/2007 $7.75 750 mL 9.00% No best by date. 100% bottle fermented. Bottle labeled 0327.

Appearance:

After battling with the cork, a small pop is emitted, and this pours a hazy color reminiscent of peaches, topped by a quarter inch of tight white head that has lasting power.

Aroma:

Fresh floral and citrus aroma, with touches of honey and banana. This one is all over the place, and all of those places smell delicious.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

I must say I am very impressed. I didn't know that Brooklyn had it in them to make a beer of this sophistication. Very nuanced, subtle flavors that emerge layer upon layer as the beer warms in the mouth. The intense carbonation lets the various flavors of banana, honey, lemons, flowers and anise dance across the tongue. Finish has a nice herbal hop bitterness to it. This is on par with the best Saisons I've ever had (Southampton Cuvee Des Fleurs springs to mind).

Kudos to Garrett Oliver for producing the best new beer, and perhaps best beer period to grace my lips yet this year.

4.57/5  rDev +10.7%

Tasting sample pours a cloudy yellow with a white head (that I'd imagine would be huge if completely poured) leaving nice wet, soapy lace. My most educated guess is that this brew has been aged at least a year, but certainly not two.

The nose is astounding- a solid cereal malt with a wide range of aroma tones including banana, lemon, a touch of bubblegum, light tobacco, powdered sugar, coriander, white clove, grassy flowers, dried pineapple and dried mango. The best thing is, this'll only improve with more cellaring.

The palate is med-full bodied and creamy with a rich frothy carbonation. That bottle re-fermentation is completely unforgettable. I mean, it's the same technique that Champagne producers use. There's less fruitiness here than on the nose, with lean apple skin and tart lemon flavors dominated by the solid dry malt, sizable yeasty spice and light brown sugar tones. The finish is long, creamy and dry with more lingering yeastiness.

Trying this back to back with the Local 2, it's hard to say which one was better. They both serve their own unique purpose and are completely world class.

4.57/5  rDev +10.7%

Had this one sitting around for a little while, finally decided to pop it open. 750 mL bottle from Blue Dog in Lansdale, corked and caged. The label says it is 100% bottle refermented--im looking forward to lots of yeasties.

Beer pours a slightly cloudy and rich golden color that is just absolutely gorgeous. Head is there and very bubbly but doesn't last that long, leaves some lacing. Lots of bubbles in this one.

Smell is amazing--very powerful. Lots of spicy/herbal notes as well as sweet fruit without smelling 'sugary.' Taste follows the nose--i absolutely love this beer. It is light-bodied, dry, fruity, a little spicy, the medium-high carbonation tingles the tongue, a real delight.

Very drinkable, i probably could have downed this one myself but i shared it with a couple friends instead--a much better idea. We all liked it. For the money, a delicious belgian style beer.

4.57/5  rDev +10.7%

(Note: This beer rushed out of the bottle a bit when I opened it, causing me to break one of my favorite New Holland pint glasses in the scramble to clean up.)

Translucent orange/yellow body with a very thick white foamy head that leaves significant lacing. I'm taking off a bit on the score for the beersplosion, but otherwise an excellent appearance. Smells very authentically Belgian, with a strong yeasty tartness and a strong biscuity maltiness underneath. Slight hints of earthy barnyardness, even though this isn't nearly as funky as a saison. Very inviting.

Taste is more bitter and drying than expected, but delicious. It's a slight effect, with the main characteristics being the expected Belgian yeast qualities. Some bitterness on the finish and a dry aftertaste. Doesn't cloy at all. The beer doesn't coat the palate as thickly as I'd expect from a Belgian Strong Pale, which is a welcome change from many Belgian-inspired beers. Moderate carbonation, with a crisp hoppy quality.

Overall? Another great beer from Brooklyn. It's frightening how good Garrett Oliver and his team are at making amazing ales and lagers. Goes down crisp and clean but with a classic Belgian character.

4.57/5  rDev +10.7%

750 corked and caged bottle with no freshness date poured into a Duvel tulip.

2 fingers of really sticky, really white head sit atop a night faint, dim orange body. the head is really pretty sticky in the center, with a mound resisting breaking apart as a result of swirling. looks a little like dish water/bad cappuccino foam. pure white though. really nice beer.

smells of belgium at first, which given that its comprised of "yeast from Belgium" kind of explain the smell. but there is a noticeable hop-cleanliness that is also there. it's not so much an undertone of pine, just some smells of clarity and cleanliness, which are impossible to qualify. also some vanilla extract and some white chocolate which are fantastic.

a slight bit of pepper right off the bat which given the nose is a little off-putting. a little more pronounced, classic-hop taste is present as well, this time with a little bit of the pine/hop bitterness on the finish. but there is the sweetness there, don't get me wrong. some subtle orange peel characteristics are present along with some lime-sweet elements (think limeade- specifically, the ones from Dumars in Norfolk, VA if you have ever been there.)

it's a little carbonated in the mouthfeel. the midpalate has a little bit of uncomfortable carbonation and some residual hop bitterness. there is not a whole lot of body presence, it's a pretty smooth beer with a little bit of carbonation- it's a lot like a pilsner in that regard. there is not a whole lot of palate coating; it's a pretty thin body, but really smooth.

this beer is really good- for any alcohol percentage. this weighs in at 9% and you don't realize it when you're drinking it, at least in regards to the fact that there is not a lot about this beer that would lead you to believe it's as alcoholic as it is. but you eventually realize it's kind of boozy. which is perfect, since then you force yourself to slow down, and the beer warms a little bit, and it gets a little bit more complex.

this is a beer that's kind of interesting, given that's it's a lot dryer than a lot of saisons, and specifically, one saison. that garrett would make a beer like this is a little off-putting, until you remember that he loves hennepin (and uses it for a number of beer-cheese pairings) and hennepin is a sweet saison; so given his love of hennepin and the relative proximity of brooklyn and ommegang, it's easy to see how any saison he made would turn out like this; hennepin is a lot like other saisons only better, and garrett seems unable to make a bad beer. so we get local 1. i can't wait to drink this in the summer. something tells me this is a beer that will be an all-star come warmer weather. but even on nights that serve as a reminder of spring-yet-to-come its quality is not upon.

4.56/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a chalice style glass.

A: Wow. This looks great! The color is a hazy orange gold with a thick creamy off-white head of at least 1/2" or so. Retention is excellent, lasting the entire experience with fantastic lacing. I can't imagine a better looking brew!

S: Complex mix of sweet malts, spices and hints of light fruitiness. Smells a lot like a triple.

T&M: Sweeter maltiness with the classic Belgian flavors of candy sugar and spices. A pull on this brew washes over the tongue in a creamy wave of pure enjoyment. The flavors are light in texture but rather fulfilling in body. Carbonation is light and persistent adding to the creaminess. This wonderful experience finishes with malty and smooth with some light spicy bitterness and just the right amount of warming. Beautiful!

D: Absolutely fantastic. I'd drink it anytime offered and will definitely seek it out again. Highly recommended!

Brooklyn Local 1 from Brooklyn Brewery