Brooklyn Local 1 - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: akorsak on 02-18-2007

Brewed with German malts and hops, first-pressing Demerara cane sugar from Mauritius, and a Belgian yeast strain. 100% bottle re-fermentation; OG=18.5; AE=1.7. Classified as a "strong saison" by Garrett Oliver.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Local 1 Alström Bros
Reviews: 905 | Hads: 1,955
3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

Bomber poured into a nonic pint glass. Slightly hazy golden colored body, bordering on yellow. Two-finger off-white head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing.

Not sure where this aroma is headed but it does not remind me of a typical BSPA. Some light fruit aroma, but no real yeast notes, as I would have expected. Also, a higher level of sweet malt aroma than expected.

A little better in the taste. Just a bit of Belgian spiciness, but still a substantial amount of malt flavor which seems to cover the light fruit flavor. A slight hint of hops in the finish.

Medium to light mouthfeel that is reasonably pleasant on the palate. Less than I expected overall. (671 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours a massive head into my New Belgium globe.
Color is dark straw, kind of cloudy.
Aroma: sweet, fruity, some hops. strawberries,
Taste: sweet, fruity. belgian yeast not detected.
M&D: Pretty drinkable. Alcohol not apparent until it warms the gullet.

Seems kind of a dumbed-down tripel. Not as good as the belgian examples. (328 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -16.4%

a- musky golden with lots of head, took a couple of minutes to go down, lots of carbonation

s- not to strong, hops apparant

t- nice and smooth with strong alcohol finish

m- fluffy and smooth

d- overall pretty good beer, its not too strong on flavor but maybe a little too much ABV.

I paid nine dollars for the big bottle which is an ok price, would buy again. (365 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a chalice, this beer presented a crisp looking, foamy white, one-finger head. The brew itself was an opaque orangy gold, and showed nice bubbling action.

I smelled yeast, spices, and citrus (faint mix of pear and apple). It smelled a little boozy...which was expected.

I tasted more malts than I expected to get given its aroma. The faint fruit notes come through, as well do some bready yeasts. It actually has a salty aftertaste, and finishes dry.

Mouthfeel is crisp and carbonated. But it has a slightly thick body for the style, and finishes smooth. It actually left my mouth feeling a little filmy.

I wanted to like this more. But I can't quite tell what it was missing, or what about it I that I didn't love. I can't tell if it's meant to be a typical Belgian strong ale or is just influenced by the style. Maybe the confusion lead to my slight disappointment. But it's all relative, this is still a finely crafted beer in the grand scheme of beers. (974 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -16.7%

Aroma - Aromatic hops and some spiciness, definite Belgian qualities.

Appearance - Big fluffy white head with tons of carbonation. Slightly cloudy yellow color makes up the actual beer.

Taste - Very light with a sweeteness on first taste but then a slightly clove like spice takes over. This beer is similar to Aventinus in the spiciness but without a malt backbone to support it.

Mouthfeel - Light and plenty of carbonation to carry along the flavors.

Drinkability - This level of spiciness may overwhelm some over the course of a few drinks but it worked well enough for me. (580 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

Poured from 25.4oz bottle into 300mL Krusovice branded chalice.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, pale golden color with a massive head- and by "massive head" I mean that more than 75% of what's in my glass is head- this is somewhat suspicious. The massive head dissipates extremely slowly and leaves behind thick lacing when it does. Luckily, in subsequent pours the head, while large, isn't overwhelming, is white and creamy, and leaves thick lace still.

Smell: Very much like a saison- farmhouse yeast and heavy citrus aromas with some tart apple.

Taste: Citrus and bitterness throughout, with a very strong alcohol flavor. The alcohol flavor subsides after a while, revealing complex citrus and earthy yeast.

Mouthfeel: Lighter body with balanced carbonation and burning alcohol. Also has a dry finish. After being swallowed, this does not sit well in the stomach. Luckily, after a while the mouthfeel mellows out a bit- it becomes like a saison- crisp and refreshing, and somewhat dry.

Drinkability: This beer seems like it should be so much better- between the massive head, the relatively weak smell, and the overpowering alcohol, something is definitely off about this one. As I noted in most areas, the beer mellows out a bit, but my first impression definitely wasn't good. This beer gets better as you drink a bit more, but I still expected it to be good throughout. I expect this one hasn't shelved very well (despite refridgeration) or I got a bad bottle. I'd be willing to try this again, though if it remains so terrible at the beginning, I'll stick to Local 2. (1,575 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle poured into a cervoise, Local 1 is a clear gold with a small white head, supported by tons of active streamers, but no significant last or lace.

Smell is somewhat sweet and drier malt, with a crisp earthy hoppiness, very much my speed.

Taste is strait forward and good, a nice little BSPA, heavy on the pils grain, a touch of sweetness, but pretty clean, with nice hints of honey. This is a very tasty little Belgian blonde, but lacking the complexity I hoped for in a Saison.

Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated and dry, a nice crispness.

Drinkability is pretty good, not as complex as I'd like, but cleanly done. Still, a bit of a disappointment, as I was expecting a bit more. (695 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a Snifter (batch number on back)

Appearance- Pours pale golden with a flawless fluffy white head and phenomenal retention leaves white washed halos dotting the sides of the glass. Each swallow brings a white sheet fluff washing into my mouth.

Smell- immediately candied malts are present in the nose followed by coriander, alcohol phenols, and hops create an interesting sour note, very much reminds me of a bottle of bubbly.

Taste- While this is an American style Strong Belgian Pale Ale it lacks the customary complexity that the notorious Belgian yeast strains, and somewhat the American yeast strains for this style, impart. Candied Malt gives way to coriander and a slight bitter hop flavour. Hints of bananas and lots of sour fruit give this beer a brilliant contrast to the sweet candies present in the initial taste. The alcohol within gives me courage to walk outside in the bitter cold and enjoy a fresh snow laden landscape.

Mouthfeel- Very creamy with a good amount of carbonation to remind you this is a beer. For this style the carbonation isn't nearly crisp enough, it is too cluttered and un-organized. Aesthetically I enjoy the messy carbonation against the creaminess of this beer but maybe not in this style.

Drinkability- Drinkable, but overall not aesthetically pleasing. The complexity of this beer is lacking, the aesthetic quality of this beer is lacking, and most importantly the yeast is non-present. I enjoy what Brooklyn has done with this beer but I don't feel all the pieces of this style fit together as they could. (1,587 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to goryshkewych for this extra in a trade this spring. 750 ML bomber split with my wife.

Only about 2/3 of the bottle poured to keep any goo out of the initial swigs. 73% unclear, the beer is a darker yellow that might have had a touch of Red #4 added. Smell is hard to find. Bit of sugary sweetness. Spice? Huh.

Local 1 certainly had a lot of sugar added. Insulin emergency! Waves of sweetness sweep the palate clean of my good steak dinner, which is a shame. Lemony, with an unidentified spiciness that I can't put my finger on, at all. Coriander? Light fruits. But the wall of raw sugar subdue any subtleties without mercy. Lucky I have a sweet tooth, which makes it easy to sip.

Did I mention it's sweet? One of the sugariest beers I've done heard of, but it keeps banging that note until my fingers turn blue. What? Pretty good beer. (851 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

A - This beer pours a nice hazy golden yellow color. It has a big fluffy white head on it.The head has excellent retention and leaves some nice sticky lace on the glass. This took me about three different pours to fill the glass due to the high carbonation.

S - It smells of strong belgian yeast, floral hops, and clove. There are also notes of lemongrass, pepper, apricot, and some earthiness as well.

T - It tastes of bready malts and strong belgian yeast up front. There are also some flavors of lemon, spices, and some fruitiness. There is a big earthy bitterness also that is throwing me off a bit. The bitterness sticks to the palate and hangs around for a while.

M - This has a medium body and very high carbonation. It goes down pretty easy, but I wish it wasn't so carbonated. There is also the earthy bitterness that I am not a huge fan of in this beer.

O - This has decent drinkability. It goes down pretty easily, and I could drink a few glasses, even considering the ABV. Overall, I think it is a decent beer. It was a little bit of a letdown for me, I was expecting something awesome, but I didn't quite get it. If the carbonation and the bitter finish were toned down a bit I would like it a whole lot more. It's worth a try though. (1,253 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -17.4%

This ale pours a yellowish amber, which is not impressive - but it does generate a nice, thick, fluffy, eggshell-white head. Aroma has about average strength and is malty with a strong fruity undertone. Flavor is crisp and pleasant, malty with a hint of apple or pear and a bit of an alcohol nip. Texture is smooth and crisp but has a little pizzazz. (350 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours a hazy dull copper color from a 750ml bottle into a chimay glass with a one finger amount of head that fades some, but stays the whole way down.

Smell of alcohol, peppery spice. Interesting...

Alcohol is present in the taste, but not over powering. As with the smell, pepper and spice predominate.

Fairly light on the palate. Flavors bounce around with the carbonation.

This is a quite drinkable beer. Especially given the high abv it could sneak up on you. Enjoyable, but not remarkable for me. (506 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -18.1%

A-Pours a murky lighter golden color. Big, frothy head that sits around forever. Leaves semi-solid, chunky lacing that solidifies along the glass. Quite attractive, but looks are overblown.

S-Belgian to the core. Yeasty and sweet. Only moderately spiced. Quite sweet. The nose is actually mildly bland. Could use more of those Noble hops. Smells a bit syrupy sweet. Also the intensity is underwhelming.

T-The flavor brings no surprises. Yeast and subtle spice. Sweeter than I would like it to be. A bunch of honey. Lacks hoppiness. Seems dulled down. Pale fruits and light crackers. Intensity is lacking.

M-Surprisingly low in carbonation. Quite syrupy on the tongue. Plenty of body; I am not sure if I enjoy the curves though. Sticky.

O/D-A unique BPA. Not my favorite interpretation of the style. Tried it without needing to buy a bottle, but I would not shell out over $10 for a bottle of this. Not really for me, but I respect the liquid craftsmanship. (960 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -18.6%

Firstly, what is 100% bottle re-conditioned. How could you have any other percentage besides 0 or 100? Anyway, I was excited to try this beer but it kind of let me down. It pours a straw/light amber color with a thick off white head. The aroma is the classic fruity yeasty belgian funky aroma that I expected. The flavor is not as good as I had hoped though. The alcohol is very evident in the flavor and gives a pronounced warming in my mouth throat, and stomach. It has a malty fruity taste with a very strong spiciness. It is a bit sweeter than I would have liked. (567 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

Semi hazy bright straw color with a massive bubbly bright white head. Dissipates rather quickly with good lacing. Nose is slightly skunks oddly enough, but has touches of banana and clove. Gonna let it air a bit. Bottle has about a year of age on it btw. Nose is subtle none the less.

Medium and effervescent body with subtle flavors. Spicy clove is apparent on the back end. Finishes with bright fruit and subtle hop presence. Alcohol is slightly noticeable. Yeasty flavors up front roll into the fruit then into the spice and clove.

Overall decent and slightly different but the spice is a bit much and needs some food for balance. Some yeast bite throws things off a bit too. (680 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I was a little disappointed by this one. Local 2 is so good, but this one was kind of meh. It dI'd nothing to distinguish itself from other Belgian strong pale ales. (165 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -19.4%

Serving: Large bottle, caged and corked. Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Pale golden and cloudy. Thick soapy head thins, but lingers.

Smell: Like a macro with some yeast.

Taste: Sweet and yeasty with a tiny bit of hops and spice at the end. The high alcohol content is well hidden.

Mouthfeel: Thin, though the sweetness lingers.

Drinkability: Easy to drink. (367 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -19.4%

Pale golden-wheat in color with a massive foamy white head. Poured this into a fluted glass, which promotes head retention, so it's definitely staying there.

The smell of belgian yeast and some citrus fruits float up from the glass. Specifically smelling oranges and apples. A little bit of spice as well. Overall, the smell is sweet.

The first taste is filled with fruity esters, some malt and then a wave of alcohol. The 9% ABV is a little more noticeable than what I would like, but it's not too bad. Very warming. I'm also getting a little bit of sourness and bitterness after the fruity opening. Malts are present as well, but almost take a back seat to the rest of the flavor.

The mouthfeel is pretty good. Not too thick or watery. Lots of warming alcohol and prickly carbonation. Both could be toned down a bit.

Drinkability is about average for me. The flavor starts out good, but the beer is a bit of an alcohol bomb and finishes a little sour. I like plenty of beers with high ABV's (WWS, many RIS's and barleywines), but this one just doesn't fit very well. The ABV isn't hidden, nor does it compliment the beer very well. Overall, I think it's still a pretty good brew, but not one I would probably pick up again. (1,230 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -19.6%

I have mixed feelings on this one - could be good, but it has a few faults holding it back.

The fruity taste is nice, but it has high carbonation - not a good point with me. Also has high alcohol content and you can smell and taste that - not a good combo in a fruity carbonated beer. Definitely do not let this beer warm or the alcohol will take over totally. Also, this didn't need to come in such a big bottle, you can't (shouldn't) drink all that yourself at 9%. If they could tone down the carbonation it would really help this beer. (540 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

Pours a light golden color w/ a 4 finger white puffy head (in spite of a careful pour). The smell is very fruity- pear, apple, spice come to the forefront. Very light airy smell. The taste seems out of balance to me. The fruit taste seems muted, and the alcohol taste is a lot more present. I am actually a little disappointed this beer doesn't taste like the smell. It lacks a little flavor for me. There's also a bitterness that comes through w/ the taste. Mouthfeel is average, as well as drinkability. Glad I finally got to try this one, but probably won't pick it up on a regular basis. (591 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -20.8%

Fresh from the distributor, who also obtained it fresh. Hmm. Sweet yellow, slick textured liquid. Aromas are estery and slightly canned corny. Decent flavors of red delicious apples and moist white bread and simple sweetness. This belongs to the Duvel/Pranqster tradition. It should have more complexity (or be drier). A vague detergent aroma and mild bitterness are the only hops effect. (388 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -21.3%

kept this bottle aging for around a year and a half.
took off the champagne top and it popped sky high. pours a clear yellow with a white foamy head.
smells of belgian yeasts and what seems similar to weed
has a similar taste
mouthfeel is good
overall its a solid beer. i'm not a big fan of belgians but hey i try them with an open mind nonetheless (348 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -21.6%

Tasted from a 0.3L Victory snifter. Pours with a vigorous healthy head of white foam, small bubbles rising through the slightly hazy light amber colored beer. Tropical fruit, light maltiness and slight funk in the nose, spicy yeastiness too. Fruit carries thru the taste as well, not too much hop bitterness for a Belgian P.A. There is a fair amount of malty sweetness though, light alcohol noted too. Finishes nice and subtle with no one component dominating. Not too bad but I've had better in this style. (507 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -21.6%

750ml brown bottle dated April 2007.

Pours cloudy pale yellow with 1/4 inch of soapy white foam on top and lots of carbonation. Not very convincing looking for a Belgian-style golden ale. Smells fruity and honeyed, with plenty of dusty lemon and candy sugar on a minty background. The flavor begins with tart limes, developing into a husky grain and honey center. Finish and aftertaste and dominated by strong urea notes. Body is highly carbonated, relatively thin. Quite a disappointment coming from the folks at Brooklyn Brewery. The beer can't decide what it is, but it's certainly not a saison, tripel, or typical strong golden ale. (639 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -21.6%

·Appearance: Pours a hazy gold to light orange color. Light, cloudy head with constant carbonation.
·Aroma: Very lively aroma, including a lemon/citrus scent as well as grassy yeast.
·Taste: Citrus lemon taste, slightly sour. Also includes a grassy aftertaste, almost a light woody/straw flavor
·Mouthfeel: Very lively carbonation, medium in body.
·Drinkability: Not quite as strong in taste or mouthfeel as others of its style, but enjoyable regardless. (459 characters)

Brooklyn Local 1 from Brooklyn Brewery