Brooklyn Local 1 - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: akorsak on 02-18-2007

Brewed with German malts and hops, first-pressing Demerara cane sugar from Mauritius, and a Belgian yeast strain. 100% bottle re-fermentation; OG=18.5; AE=1.7. Classified as a "strong saison" by Garrett Oliver.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Local 1 Alström Bros
Reviews: 908 | Hads: 1,984
3.43/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottle shared with Matt at Good Luck.

Pours a golden yellow, with a vigorous 1.5 inch head, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells like citrus and apple, with a slight wiff of Belgian yeast, a lot weaker than I would've expected. Smells pretty sugary.

This doesn't have quite the typical Belgian bite I'd expect from a BSPA, or even a "strong saison," as Garrett Oliver apparently calls it. The yeast is incredibly muted, but under the typical yeast flavors you'd get in a beer like this is a fairly pedestrian brew. Citrusy, but just sort of...flat.

This one is light bodied, with a low amount of carbonation, which is different for a beer of this style. Fairly drinkable.

Overall, just boring. Blah. Not a whole lot to talk about here.

3.43/5  rDev -16.1%

Apperance is a little dark/golden with crisp white head. a little on the light side for me as far as color goes and has just a smidgen of cloudyness.

smell is fruity citrus, smells strong of alcohol.

taste is kinda champagney to start with mild hoppyness notes to finish. smooth yet strong...

mouthfeel smooth followed by tingly

overall easy to drink as far as the ABV goes.. not my first pick but will definatly drink again

3.43/5  rDev -16.1%

Slick looking cork finished 750ml bottle that almost looks like a baseball bat if you hold it upside down. This bottle has a small black and gold cigar band label at the top and a black, orange, and gold number "1" as the main label. Below the "1" is where they tell you the ABV% (9%) and that it's a "100% Bottle Refermented Ale." The back label has a decent sized paragraph that they call "The Brewmaster's Serving Suggestions." Only the last sentence of the paragraph has anything to do with serving the beer. The rest of the paragraph was about the beer itself. No best before date or vintage year, but there was a bottle number on the back. Mine was number #1717.

Appearance:I didn't have a Brooklyn Tulip glass, so I poured this Brooklyn beer into a Corsendonk Tulip. With a loud pop, out of the bottle came a beer that was very bubbly, very hazy, and a beautiful golden color with lemon highlights. The head on top of this golden brew was equally impressive as the color of the beer. This great looking creamy head of foam was at least 1 1/2 inches in height and solid pearl white in color. This head of foam had excellent retention that left behind a small creamy white film and a fair amount of small white streaks of lace. The beer looked just as good as the bottle itself. Great appearance on the outside and inside of the bottle.

Smell: What can I say about the aroma? It was very Belgian like aroma. This Belgian like aroma was all about the citrus aromas. This citrus aromas contained in this beer were the citrus hops, a tiny splash of tart grapefruit, a hint of lemon zest, and a small touch of coriander. There were 2 other aromas, but they weren't citrus. They were the sweet yeast and a pinch of candy sugar. Despite having the last 2 aromas sweet, it didn't have an overly sweet finish. I couldn't find any malts or wheat in the nose. It was probably due to all the citrus aromas.

Taste: The taste was Belgian like like the aroma, but the taste unlike the aroma was more dry, bitter, and yeasty. This Belgian like beer was dry and bitter with some lightly bitter citrus hops, a pinch of dried grapefruit, a splash of lemon zest, a dash of black pepper, and then finishes up with a ton of dried yeast and alcohol. It was good take on a Belgian style beer, but there wasn't enough citrus flavors and a little too much alcohol and yeast. It even tasted like it relied on the yeast and alcohol to push this beer through. And this taste was from the top of the bottle and not the bottom of the bottle where this style usually does get heavy on the alcohol and yeast. A few more citrus flavors and a lot less yeast and alcohol would do this beer justice.

Mouthfeel: This was another one of those beers that was on the line of being a medium bodied beer or a full bodied beer. If I had to choose, it was a tad bit more medium bodied than full bodied. This beer was also low on the carbonation and featured an aftertaste of lightly bitter citrus hops, a hint of lemon zest, and a big bite of alcohol and yeast. There was so much alcohol and yeast in this beer it was getting to a point where it was getting hard to drink. As you can tell, this beer didn't mask it's 9% ABV. It wanted you to taste and feel the high ABV%.

Drinakbility: It was a nice take on a Belgian style of beer from a great American brewery, but again, my bottle relied too much on the alcohol and yeast to get this beer through the taste. Hopefully not all of the bottles are like this one. After my experience with this bottle, I doubt I would shell out any more money to try this beer again.

3.43/5  rDev -16.1%

Bomber poured into a nonic pint glass. Slightly hazy golden colored body, bordering on yellow. Two-finger off-white head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing.

Not sure where this aroma is headed but it does not remind me of a typical BSPA. Some light fruit aroma, but no real yeast notes, as I would have expected. Also, a higher level of sweet malt aroma than expected.

A little better in the taste. Just a bit of Belgian spiciness, but still a substantial amount of malt flavor which seems to cover the light fruit flavor. A slight hint of hops in the finish.

Medium to light mouthfeel that is reasonably pleasant on the palate. Less than I expected overall.

3.42/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours a massive head into my New Belgium globe.
Color is dark straw, kind of cloudy.
Aroma: sweet, fruity, some hops. strawberries,
Taste: sweet, fruity. belgian yeast not detected.
M&D: Pretty drinkable. Alcohol not apparent until it warms the gullet.

Seems kind of a dumbed-down tripel. Not as good as the belgian examples.

3.41/5  rDev -16.6%

a- musky golden with lots of head, took a couple of minutes to go down, lots of carbonation

s- not to strong, hops apparant

t- nice and smooth with strong alcohol finish

m- fluffy and smooth

d- overall pretty good beer, its not too strong on flavor but maybe a little too much ABV.

I paid nine dollars for the big bottle which is an ok price, would buy again.

3.41/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a chalice, this beer presented a crisp looking, foamy white, one-finger head. The brew itself was an opaque orangy gold, and showed nice bubbling action.

I smelled yeast, spices, and citrus (faint mix of pear and apple). It smelled a little boozy...which was expected.

I tasted more malts than I expected to get given its aroma. The faint fruit notes come through, as well do some bready yeasts. It actually has a salty aftertaste, and finishes dry.

Mouthfeel is crisp and carbonated. But it has a slightly thick body for the style, and finishes smooth. It actually left my mouth feeling a little filmy.

I wanted to like this more. But I can't quite tell what it was missing, or what about it I that I didn't love. I can't tell if it's meant to be a typical Belgian strong ale or is just influenced by the style. Maybe the confusion lead to my slight disappointment. But it's all relative, this is still a finely crafted beer in the grand scheme of beers.

3.4/5  rDev -16.9%

Aroma - Aromatic hops and some spiciness, definite Belgian qualities.

Appearance - Big fluffy white head with tons of carbonation. Slightly cloudy yellow color makes up the actual beer.

Taste - Very light with a sweeteness on first taste but then a slightly clove like spice takes over. This beer is similar to Aventinus in the spiciness but without a malt backbone to support it.

Mouthfeel - Light and plenty of carbonation to carry along the flavors.

Drinkability - This level of spiciness may overwhelm some over the course of a few drinks but it worked well enough for me.

3.38/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured from 25.4oz bottle into 300mL Krusovice branded chalice.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, pale golden color with a massive head- and by "massive head" I mean that more than 75% of what's in my glass is head- this is somewhat suspicious. The massive head dissipates extremely slowly and leaves behind thick lacing when it does. Luckily, in subsequent pours the head, while large, isn't overwhelming, is white and creamy, and leaves thick lace still.

Smell: Very much like a saison- farmhouse yeast and heavy citrus aromas with some tart apple.

Taste: Citrus and bitterness throughout, with a very strong alcohol flavor. The alcohol flavor subsides after a while, revealing complex citrus and earthy yeast.

Mouthfeel: Lighter body with balanced carbonation and burning alcohol. Also has a dry finish. After being swallowed, this does not sit well in the stomach. Luckily, after a while the mouthfeel mellows out a bit- it becomes like a saison- crisp and refreshing, and somewhat dry.

Drinkability: This beer seems like it should be so much better- between the massive head, the relatively weak smell, and the overpowering alcohol, something is definitely off about this one. As I noted in most areas, the beer mellows out a bit, but my first impression definitely wasn't good. This beer gets better as you drink a bit more, but I still expected it to be good throughout. I expect this one hasn't shelved very well (despite refridgeration) or I got a bad bottle. I'd be willing to try this again, though if it remains so terrible at the beginning, I'll stick to Local 2.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle poured into a cervoise, Local 1 is a clear gold with a small white head, supported by tons of active streamers, but no significant last or lace.

Smell is somewhat sweet and drier malt, with a crisp earthy hoppiness, very much my speed.

Taste is strait forward and good, a nice little BSPA, heavy on the pils grain, a touch of sweetness, but pretty clean, with nice hints of honey. This is a very tasty little Belgian blonde, but lacking the complexity I hoped for in a Saison.

Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated and dry, a nice crispness.

Drinkability is pretty good, not as complex as I'd like, but cleanly done. Still, a bit of a disappointment, as I was expecting a bit more.

3.38/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a Snifter (batch number on back)

Appearance- Pours pale golden with a flawless fluffy white head and phenomenal retention leaves white washed halos dotting the sides of the glass. Each swallow brings a white sheet fluff washing into my mouth.

Smell- immediately candied malts are present in the nose followed by coriander, alcohol phenols, and hops create an interesting sour note, very much reminds me of a bottle of bubbly.

Taste- While this is an American style Strong Belgian Pale Ale it lacks the customary complexity that the notorious Belgian yeast strains, and somewhat the American yeast strains for this style, impart. Candied Malt gives way to coriander and a slight bitter hop flavour. Hints of bananas and lots of sour fruit give this beer a brilliant contrast to the sweet candies present in the initial taste. The alcohol within gives me courage to walk outside in the bitter cold and enjoy a fresh snow laden landscape.

Mouthfeel- Very creamy with a good amount of carbonation to remind you this is a beer. For this style the carbonation isn't nearly crisp enough, it is too cluttered and un-organized. Aesthetically I enjoy the messy carbonation against the creaminess of this beer but maybe not in this style.

Drinkability- Drinkable, but overall not aesthetically pleasing. The complexity of this beer is lacking, the aesthetic quality of this beer is lacking, and most importantly the yeast is non-present. I enjoy what Brooklyn has done with this beer but I don't feel all the pieces of this style fit together as they could.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to goryshkewych for this extra in a trade this spring. 750 ML bomber split with my wife.

Only about 2/3 of the bottle poured to keep any goo out of the initial swigs. 73% unclear, the beer is a darker yellow that might have had a touch of Red #4 added. Smell is hard to find. Bit of sugary sweetness. Spice? Huh.

Local 1 certainly had a lot of sugar added. Insulin emergency! Waves of sweetness sweep the palate clean of my good steak dinner, which is a shame. Lemony, with an unidentified spiciness that I can't put my finger on, at all. Coriander? Light fruits. But the wall of raw sugar subdue any subtleties without mercy. Lucky I have a sweet tooth, which makes it easy to sip.

Did I mention it's sweet? One of the sugariest beers I've done heard of, but it keeps banging that note until my fingers turn blue. What? Pretty good beer.

3.38/5  rDev -17.4%

A - This beer pours a nice hazy golden yellow color. It has a big fluffy white head on it.The head has excellent retention and leaves some nice sticky lace on the glass. This took me about three different pours to fill the glass due to the high carbonation.

S - It smells of strong belgian yeast, floral hops, and clove. There are also notes of lemongrass, pepper, apricot, and some earthiness as well.

T - It tastes of bready malts and strong belgian yeast up front. There are also some flavors of lemon, spices, and some fruitiness. There is a big earthy bitterness also that is throwing me off a bit. The bitterness sticks to the palate and hangs around for a while.

M - This has a medium body and very high carbonation. It goes down pretty easy, but I wish it wasn't so carbonated. There is also the earthy bitterness that I am not a huge fan of in this beer.

O - This has decent drinkability. It goes down pretty easily, and I could drink a few glasses, even considering the ABV. Overall, I think it is a decent beer. It was a little bit of a letdown for me, I was expecting something awesome, but I didn't quite get it. If the carbonation and the bitter finish were toned down a bit I would like it a whole lot more. It's worth a try though.

3.37/5  rDev -17.6%

This ale pours a yellowish amber, which is not impressive - but it does generate a nice, thick, fluffy, eggshell-white head. Aroma has about average strength and is malty with a strong fruity undertone. Flavor is crisp and pleasant, malty with a hint of apple or pear and a bit of an alcohol nip. Texture is smooth and crisp but has a little pizzazz.

3.35/5  rDev -18.1%

Pours a hazy dull copper color from a 750ml bottle into a chimay glass with a one finger amount of head that fades some, but stays the whole way down.

Smell of alcohol, peppery spice. Interesting...

Alcohol is present in the taste, but not over powering. As with the smell, pepper and spice predominate.

Fairly light on the palate. Flavors bounce around with the carbonation.

This is a quite drinkable beer. Especially given the high abv it could sneak up on you. Enjoyable, but not remarkable for me.

3.34/5  rDev -18.3%

A-Pours a murky lighter golden color. Big, frothy head that sits around forever. Leaves semi-solid, chunky lacing that solidifies along the glass. Quite attractive, but looks are overblown.

S-Belgian to the core. Yeasty and sweet. Only moderately spiced. Quite sweet. The nose is actually mildly bland. Could use more of those Noble hops. Smells a bit syrupy sweet. Also the intensity is underwhelming.

T-The flavor brings no surprises. Yeast and subtle spice. Sweeter than I would like it to be. A bunch of honey. Lacks hoppiness. Seems dulled down. Pale fruits and light crackers. Intensity is lacking.

M-Surprisingly low in carbonation. Quite syrupy on the tongue. Plenty of body; I am not sure if I enjoy the curves though. Sticky.

O/D-A unique BPA. Not my favorite interpretation of the style. Tried it without needing to buy a bottle, but I would not shell out over $10 for a bottle of this. Not really for me, but I respect the liquid craftsmanship.

3.32/5  rDev -18.8%

Firstly, what is 100% bottle re-conditioned. How could you have any other percentage besides 0 or 100? Anyway, I was excited to try this beer but it kind of let me down. It pours a straw/light amber color with a thick off white head. The aroma is the classic fruity yeasty belgian funky aroma that I expected. The flavor is not as good as I had hoped though. The alcohol is very evident in the flavor and gives a pronounced warming in my mouth throat, and stomach. It has a malty fruity taste with a very strong spiciness. It is a bit sweeter than I would have liked.

3.3/5  rDev -19.3%

Semi hazy bright straw color with a massive bubbly bright white head. Dissipates rather quickly with good lacing. Nose is slightly skunks oddly enough, but has touches of banana and clove. Gonna let it air a bit. Bottle has about a year of age on it btw. Nose is subtle none the less.

Medium and effervescent body with subtle flavors. Spicy clove is apparent on the back end. Finishes with bright fruit and subtle hop presence. Alcohol is slightly noticeable. Yeasty flavors up front roll into the fruit then into the spice and clove.

Overall decent and slightly different but the spice is a bit much and needs some food for balance. Some yeast bite throws things off a bit too.

3.3/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I was a little disappointed by this one. Local 2 is so good, but this one was kind of meh. It dI'd nothing to distinguish itself from other Belgian strong pale ales.

3.29/5  rDev -19.6%

Serving: Large bottle, caged and corked. Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Pale golden and cloudy. Thick soapy head thins, but lingers.

Smell: Like a macro with some yeast.

Taste: Sweet and yeasty with a tiny bit of hops and spice at the end. The high alcohol content is well hidden.

Mouthfeel: Thin, though the sweetness lingers.

Drinkability: Easy to drink.

3.29/5  rDev -19.6%

Pale golden-wheat in color with a massive foamy white head. Poured this into a fluted glass, which promotes head retention, so it's definitely staying there.

The smell of belgian yeast and some citrus fruits float up from the glass. Specifically smelling oranges and apples. A little bit of spice as well. Overall, the smell is sweet.

The first taste is filled with fruity esters, some malt and then a wave of alcohol. The 9% ABV is a little more noticeable than what I would like, but it's not too bad. Very warming. I'm also getting a little bit of sourness and bitterness after the fruity opening. Malts are present as well, but almost take a back seat to the rest of the flavor.

The mouthfeel is pretty good. Not too thick or watery. Lots of warming alcohol and prickly carbonation. Both could be toned down a bit.

Drinkability is about average for me. The flavor starts out good, but the beer is a bit of an alcohol bomb and finishes a little sour. I like plenty of beers with high ABV's (WWS, many RIS's and barleywines), but this one just doesn't fit very well. The ABV isn't hidden, nor does it compliment the beer very well. Overall, I think it's still a pretty good brew, but not one I would probably pick up again.

3.28/5  rDev -19.8%

I have mixed feelings on this one - could be good, but it has a few faults holding it back.

The fruity taste is nice, but it has high carbonation - not a good point with me. Also has high alcohol content and you can smell and taste that - not a good combo in a fruity carbonated beer. Definitely do not let this beer warm or the alcohol will take over totally. Also, this didn't need to come in such a big bottle, you can't (shouldn't) drink all that yourself at 9%. If they could tone down the carbonation it would really help this beer.

3.25/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours a light golden color w/ a 4 finger white puffy head (in spite of a careful pour). The smell is very fruity- pear, apple, spice come to the forefront. Very light airy smell. The taste seems out of balance to me. The fruit taste seems muted, and the alcohol taste is a lot more present. I am actually a little disappointed this beer doesn't taste like the smell. It lacks a little flavor for me. There's also a bitterness that comes through w/ the taste. Mouthfeel is average, as well as drinkability. Glad I finally got to try this one, but probably won't pick it up on a regular basis.

3.23/5  rDev -21%

Fresh from the distributor, who also obtained it fresh. Hmm. Sweet yellow, slick textured liquid. Aromas are estery and slightly canned corny. Decent flavors of red delicious apples and moist white bread and simple sweetness. This belongs to the Duvel/Pranqster tradition. It should have more complexity (or be drier). A vague detergent aroma and mild bitterness are the only hops effect.

3.21/5  rDev -21.5%

kept this bottle aging for around a year and a half.
took off the champagne top and it popped sky high. pours a clear yellow with a white foamy head.
smells of belgian yeasts and what seems similar to weed
has a similar taste
mouthfeel is good
overall its a solid beer. i'm not a big fan of belgians but hey i try them with an open mind nonetheless

Brooklyn Local 1 from Brooklyn Brewery