Brooklyn Black OPS - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black OPSBrooklyn Black OPS

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Brooklyn Black Ops (2008 commercially available version) was aged for four months in bourbon barrels, bottled flat, and re-fermented in the bottle with Champagne yeast. 940 cases produced.

10.7%-2008
11.6%-2009
11.3%-2010
10.7%-2011
10.5%-2012
11.5%-2013

(Beer added by: RixBeer on 12-20-2007)
4.34/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.83/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.11/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.94/5  rDev -4.6%

More vanilla than I remember in previous years.

2.98/5  rDev -27.8%

2013, opened today, cleaning cellar. Not much of a reviewer but this didn't sit well with me and perhaps one of my least favorite beers I've had lately. Smell seems off, taste was pretty interesting. I didn't finish my glass because I did not care for this at all.

4.49/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: pours black with a one finger caramel head
A: toffee, butterscotch, vanilla, sweet smelling
T: wow, surprisingly light, sweet caramel, bourbon, and a bit of roast at the end
M: creamy, but not heavy
O: the easiest drinking stout of its kind. That uniqueness alone makes it remarkable. Tons of taste, without being heavy.

4.44/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First review in a really long time. Poured this into a teku.

L: Pours a pitch black with about a finger or so of dark khaki colored sudsy foam. The head disappears into a ring around my glass.

S: The smell yields some vanilla and booze from the bourbon. There's a little oak in the background. Roasty, chocolate malts are also prominent. Pretty much what I expect from a barrel-aged imperial stout.

T: The taste follows the nose pretty well. Vanilla flavor kind of dominates this which is quite alright with me. There's a bit of oak and chocolate. The yeast also brings a level of carbonation that I'm not used to in a stout. Overall, this is top notch.

F: This definitely does not feel like it's 11% abv. The alcohol burn is minimal as this warms and the chocolate flavor lingers on my palate until I take another sip.

Overall: I can see why this is highly regarded. Garrett Oliver is the true definition of a brewmaster. The addition of champagne yeast makes this beer stand out from the rest of the stouts on the market. Definitely a unique brew. I'll probably pass on this in the future because there are other BA stouts that will allow me to get 4 bottles for the same price of this one. However, I will enjoy the rest of this 750 and savor every last drop.

3.56/5  rDev -13.8%

4.84/5  rDev +17.2%

4.12/5  rDev -0.2%

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

Walked into my local bottle shop last night and found this sitting on the shelf. 2014 edition. I have never had the opportunity to purchase this and decided to give it a go. A/Poured very black. It is what I was expecting from this RIS. S/Bourbon followed by roasted malts, followed by hints of chocolate, and smokiness. T/Bourbon upfront followed by smokiness, hint of chocolate with a creamy finish. O/This beer was a little light with more carbonation than what I expected of this RIS. It is bad? No it was a very enjoyable deviation than what I am used to or expecting. While every sip was consistent it was enjoyable and got even better as it warmed. I found the best range was probably about 10 degrees cooler than room temp. I would seek this out again if it wasn't for the $20 price. That is the only factor holding me back from purchasing this again. I think if you have the chance spring for it at least once.

Brooklyn Black OPS from Brooklyn Brewery