Brooklyn Black OPS - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black OPSBrooklyn Black OPS

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Brooklyn Black Ops (2008 commercially available version) was aged for four months in bourbon barrels, bottled flat, and re-fermented in the bottle with Champagne yeast. 940 cases produced.

10.7%-2008
11.6%-2009
11.3%-2010
10.7%-2011
10.5%-2012
11.5%-2013

(Beer added by: RixBeer on 12-20-2007)

phishinNYC, Jul 23, 2012

fonts30290, Feb 15, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -63.7%

ArchEnemyBrew, Feb 07, 2012
1.65/5  rDev -60%

I really wanted to like this beer. I like bourbon and I love stout. Plus, I paid a dear price for the bottle.

I opened it with two beer-loving friends and we couldn't drink it. With much regret, I poured it down the drain.

A - Rich black color with a tan head that dissipates quickly.

S - Wow. Smells like bourbon. I was expecting more of a blend with the stout.

T - The bourbon flavor overpowers everything. There might be something more going on underneath, but I can't really taste it.

M - Mouthburn, as you'd get with liquor, and a thin texture, but a lot of carbonation. Not rich and smooth, as I'd expect in a stout.

O - I know they went to great lengths to do this project, but unfortunately, it's just not my thing.

missginsu, Aug 28, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -57.6%

brooklynbrews, Apr 30, 2012
1.78/5  rDev -56.9%

Tasted at Philly Real Ale Invitational - 2009 at Yards Brewery.

Brooklyn Black Ops is opaque black...lots of alcohol and bourbon notes rush the nose and palate, just like its name describes, it's a covert, black ops taste - stealthy and deadly.

Personally: My tastebuds and I can not get into bourbon infused, super powerful 10W-30 strength imperial stouts.

WCBCFrank, Aug 14, 2009
1.95/5  rDev -52.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Shared with some friends at a tasting I hosted last weekend 5/1/11.

A: Midnight black in color with a dark brown chocolate colored head. This is about as good as this beer is going to get. Read on.

S: The smell was weak. Faint chocolate aroma, mild burnt nutty aroma, bourbon and kind of a gassy alcoholic aroma.

T&M: Miserable. I'm sorry, but this is waaaay too light bodied for a RIS. It's super DRY (possibly over attenuated from the champagne yeast, or mashed REALLY low). The flavors I'd expect from a RIS are completely missing here, or so lackluster that they're insignificant. It tasted like fizzy, dry, highly diluted chocolate water that had alcohol in it. I couldn't finish my glass.

O: Total disappointment. I wouldn't try again. I'm not sure how others have rated this so high, but taste is subjective so who knows. This was horrible though...

julian, May 08, 2011

DMCNAC, Feb 29, 2012

Turbodog666, Jan 03, 2012

celticfutblclub, Jan 05, 2012
2.13/5  rDev -48.4%

A - very dark with a tight large head that laces very well.

S - smells very apcohol-like to me. However that is probably because of the bourbon and champagne portions of the brewing. Not very stout like.

T - tastes like a car-bomb or whatever it is called when you toss a shot glass into a beer. There is not much stout flavor to grab onto or rate. I do not like hard alcohol so this flavor combination is not for me.

M - typical hard alcohol tingles and burn, just a milder than usual shots.

D - if you like bourbon then you will like this. I do not so I do not. I do not like dissing this brew, but it is not my bag.

biglite351, Feb 14, 2010
2.15/5  rDev -47.9%

Bought one of these for a little bachelor party fun. Almost 30 dollars a bottle (yikes).

A: Black as death. Wispy head that dissipates quickly, pretty lacing.

S: the highlight of the beer. Smells of bourbon, chocolate, coffee, hickory. Smelled absolutely incredible, until....

T: Yuck. Tasted of bourbon too much. I'm not a bourbon fan but the flavor drowned out any semblance of the smells of chocolate, coffee, etc. Horrendous.

M: Slick, felt like motor oil. No carbonation at all.

O: A waste of the money, for my liking. Certain people will like this I'm sure, considering Brooklyn's excellent track record. For bourbon fans only, though. It'll get you cocked too. At 10.70 percent, Black Ops doesnt mess around.

bullwinkle88, Dec 28, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -46.7%

vintage 2010

A: Pours black and I can't see a damn thing thru it. A three finger dark mocha head of fine foam falls slowly to a quilt of the same. Little to no lacing. The champagne yeast is obvious in the head formation.

S: Lees. Some licorice, plastic, molasses, banana. Sweet mixed with hearty smells are poorly mingled here.

T: More creamy lees. Astringent alcohol. The bourbon is cheap feeling. Just not good. Reminds me of KGB '11 (Widmer).

M: Empty and hollow body. Overly carbonated (even after recapping for a night in the fridge. Extra dry.

O: Yep, I tried this beer, wanted to be sure about my palate so I threw in the fridge with a champagne cork only to have the near-same experience the next night. Poor beer.

harrymel, May 18, 2011
2.23/5  rDev -46%

Chilled bottle into a glass. 2008 vintage. Shared by mfielden. Thanks Mark!

A: Pours a dark brown body, nearly black, with good carbonation.

S: Brown sugar, molasses, caramelly bourbon, oak, some anise, and booze (?). Surprising to get the last one in there, given that a) it's Garrett Oliver, and b) the beer is aged.

T: Definitely sweet flavors found here, but it's quite dry for an imperial stout. Brown sugar, molasses, caramel / bourbon. Easy to pick up. Just the same, it's very roasty, even borderline burnt, and the tannins blend that into a pronounced bitterness. Not my favorite combination. I get some booze again. Still, it's a balanced flavor; you can taste everything in proportion. It's just not a profile I enjoy.

M: It's a little hot for my tastes, but again, it's dry for the style. Med-full viscosity.

D: I didn't care for this beer. I prefer something with a little more body, a little less heat, and much less roast. Not something I'd get again. Abyss is half the cost and I enjoy it a bit more.

Arbitrator, Jun 02, 2010