Brooklyn Black OPS - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black OPSBrooklyn Black OPS

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Brooklyn Black Ops (2008 commercially available version) was aged for four months in bourbon barrels, bottled flat, and re-fermented in the bottle with Champagne yeast. 940 cases produced.

10.7%-2008
11.6%-2009
11.3%-2010
10.7%-2011
10.5%-2012
11.5%-2013

(Beer added by: RixBeer on 12-20-2007)
View: Beers (70) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
emcohen

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance: dark brown color, a bit darker than cola, tan head about one finger size…no lacing on the glass

Aroma: chocolate cordial – rum aroma, can definitely smell the alcohol

Taste: Dark chocolate with some sour cherry notes up front, alcohol burn and a bit of black licorice in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Smooth at first, coats the mouth and doesn’t diminish at all. Carbonation helps balance the alcohol at first. Mouth tingles from the alcohol at the end.

Overall: Can’t decide if I love it or hate it but this beer doesn’t allow you to settle somewhere in the middle. If drinking a goblet – A. If drinking half a bottle – C. This beer is good in moderation but a killer if you’re enjoying a bottle yourself. Worth trying and sharing with many people who love a good stout.

04-26-2011 00:31:28 | More by emcohen
LordAdmNelson

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This was kind of an up and down beer for me. I was super excited to try it, but I was kind of let down. A good beer, but not an $18 superb beer though.

Pours a opaque black with a nice layer of brown head. Decent retention. Nose is a little boozey for me, hotter than I wanted it to be. A bit of roasted malt and chocolate comes through, though.

Flavor is really good. It's hot at first, but once I got used to that, it evolves into a robust oaky roasty chocolatey stout with some bourbon hints too. Yum.

Feel is a bit thin, but overall I guess it helps me drink this beer. Still a little disappointing, though.

Overall, I hesitate to say this beer is worth $18. A good experience, but probably not one I'm going to return to.

04-25-2011 23:44:29 | More by LordAdmNelson
gnemesis

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle (11.3%) poured into snifter on 04/06/2011.
This beer pours black with a huge mocha head. Small beads, good retention, and slight lacing. Beautiful nose on this ale- chocolate, roasted malt, vanilla, burnt sugar, coffee, and a touch of booze. The scents detected all present themselves as I sip but sweetness is heavy and the alcohol is more pronounced. Full body and highly carbonated for the style (champagne yeast I assume) but in a good and interesting way. Great beer and my favorite from Brooklyn thus far. Pick up 2 and age one of these monsters.

04-11-2011 04:59:25 | More by gnemesis
AlCaponeJunior

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

Nice looking imperial stout. Black with a nice tan head that lasts and plenty of rising bubbles, pretty good lacing too.

Smooth roasty malts and woody bourbon aromas waft from my glass. The smell is nice, albeit it just a touch subdued.

Taste is quite good, with a primary bourbon and wood flavor, accented with expected coffee and chocolate flavors. There's also some smooth vanilla that really accents the flavors nicely.

Feel is surprisingly carbonated for a RIS, but it doesn't take away from the creamy, full bodied character of this fine brew. The aftertaste is very smooth, with light bitterness and smoky, bourbon accents.

Drinks very well. This one pretty much lived up to the hype. I will certainly finish the whole bottle myself, albeit it fairly slowly!! Scarily easy to drink given the ABV. Downright delicious stuff, I highly recommend it.

During the second half of this bottle, I sparked up a cohiba maduro cigar. Absolutely fantastic combination!

04-09-2011 22:08:44 | More by AlCaponeJunior
Spadoof

Purchased from: 101 Bottles (Kent, Ohio)
Origin: 1 Pint 9.4 FL. OZ. Bottle
Bottled on: 2010
Tasted on: 04/7/11
Glassware: Ray's Place Pilsner Glass.
Serving Temperature: Approx 48 F

Notes: Pilsner Glass is the only glassware I had on me. I served it slightly colder than normal to see how the flavors evolved as the beer warms.

Appearance: Pours a thick, creamy & Dark Brown 1 finger head. The Body is Black! Completely Opaque. Perfect!

Smell: Oak, Vanilla, Carmel, Dark Chocolate. I also get notes of creamy butterscotch, maple and alcohol.

Taste: ...DELICIOUS!!! In the front I get a beautiful mixture of oak and vanilla. Towards the middle a deep caramel sweetness comes through. At the end I get what I can only describe as melted dark chocolate ice cream and alcohol heat.

Mouthfeel: Thick, rich and really pleasant.

Concluding thoughts: Overall probably one of my favorite beers to date. I wish I could have gotten another bottle to set down for awhile to see how the flavors matured. If you are a fan of barreled-age stouts, this is a must try!

04-07-2011 04:33:29 | More by Spadoof
OWSLEY069

4.83/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours jet black, with a light brown head. In the aroma, bourbon and oak. In the taste, roasted malt, hints of chocolate and vanilla, and ends with a oaky and bourbon alcohol burn. A small bite and medium to bigger bodied mouthfeel, with a dry roasted malt and faint bourbon in the aftertaste. Big bourbon, sweet chocolate and vanilla, and a dry end. Not over barring at all, quite exceptional.

04-06-2011 16:02:34 | More by OWSLEY069
badboyrsl84

2.88/5  rDev -30.3%

It pours a dark dark black into the pint glass with a 2 inch fizzy mocha head

Smell - Some bourbon and a little alcohol

Taste - HUGE LET DOWN! It starts with a good taste of bourbon, some chocolate and as it warms, some alcohol. The beer is over ran by carbonation which masks the beer flavors all the through. I got a little bit of a wine taste in the aftertaste in the end of this. Of all the bourbon aged beers I've had this is my least Favorite.

Mouthfeel - tons and tons of taste-masking carbonation. Not very good.

HUGE HUGE LET DOWN!!!!

03-28-2011 00:39:19 | More by badboyrsl84
Vdubb86

4.13/5  rDev 0%

Served in a snifter

Thanks to Axic10 for this want

2009 Vintage

This beer pours a creamy blackness topped by a brown finger or so of foam. The head clings in a nice creamy fashion to the surface of this beer and looks rather gorgeous if I do say so myself. The aromatics are rather bourbon forward. There is vanilla and oak in the nose that would be expected with a BBA beer. There is a touch of black cherry and dark raspberry in the nose as well. The flavor has a lot of bourbon extracted from the barrels, to the point where it's almost aggressive and astringent on the palate. The fruit notes may actually be coming from the oak barrel. I would expect to taste some chocolate or coffee, but honestly I don't get either because of the bourbon. The overall experience is that this is good, but in my opinion the flavor of this beer is so dominated by the bourbon that it affects the overall flavor and enjoyment.

03-26-2011 21:07:37 | More by Vdubb86
yeahnatenelson

3.43/5  rDev -16.9%

Appearance -- Pours a rich dark brown with a slim stiff dark brown head. Minor lacing. Looks good.

Smell -- Cocoa, licorice, toffee, roast char, vanillin, earthy hops, bourbon sweetness. Strong aroma of alcohol - a distraction.

Taste -- Dark roast malt, dark chocolate, vanillin, wet oak, and toffee sweetness up front. Earthy hops work with the gentle charred flavor to balance, but don't fully succeed. Alcohol is very present - sharp and solvent-like, mildly medicinal in the finish. Lingering flavors of licorice, vanilla, earthy hops, and dark chocolate. And booze.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. Slightly thin, though not distracting. Alcohol bite and a sudden warming of the throat.

Overall -- Lots of great flavors, and I especially like how much oaky vanilla comes through. However, the high alcohol presence is definitely a distraction, like the booziness of Black Chocolate Stout turned to 11. I rest the blame on the base beer rather than the barrel-aging. Not bad, but not a stunning example of the barrel-aged stout, either.

03-24-2011 03:11:14 | More by yeahnatenelson
dogfishandi

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

750ml. cork and caged bottle pulled from my cellar poured into a tulip. bottling code 3159 indicates it was bottled sometime in early november of 2009.

pours out completely opaque black with a big 2 fingers of chocolate milk colored head that slowly faded to a foamy layer. decent retention. big bubbles for a RIS. some spotty, stringy lace on the glass.

lots of big alcohol in the aroma. solvent like and a bit of a champagne, wine like alcohol. lots of bourbon coming through as well. the good RIS qualities are a little lost with all the booze. some deep roasted malt and dark chocolate are detectable as well as a hint of some dark fruits.

again, lots of alcohol. lots of bourbon and some solvent alcohol. behind the booze there is some deep roasted malt, dark fruits and dark chocolate. bits of vanilla and charred barrel qualities. has almost a wine like yeasty finish with some roasted bitterness that lingers a bit.

big heavy mouthfeel, but the carbonation makes it feel much different than most RIS, high for the style, most likely from the champagne yeast used to bottle condition. not very easy to drink, but i was still managed to get down the whole bottle by myself. if i drank it again, id definatly share however.

overall, its an interesting take on the style. i could see someone who appreciates bourbon enjoying this as it is very prevalant. IMHO, its definatly not worth the 28$ i payed for this bottle, black chocolate stout blows this out of the water. bourbon barrel aged black chocolate stout, now theres an idea!

03-24-2011 00:07:15 | More by dogfishandi
mikepreed

3.35/5  rDev -18.9%

Occasionally you will try a Russian Imperial Stout and say "That wasn't as thick/strong as I expected", but not usually (and definately not in this case). Not quite as scary as a 12% beer could be, but certainly approaching the need to eat it with a spoon.

The color was as black as you can imagine with they typical stout lack of carbonation. The initial taste was a very strong combination of chocolate and coffee, followed by a smooth flavor with a hint of cinnamon. The finish was a strong alcohol that the texture could no longer hide.

I have one bottle that I'm saving, but I won't be drinking it alone.

03-21-2011 02:25:43 | More by mikepreed
FosterJM

4.13/5  rDev 0%

321st review on BA
bottle to snifter
2920 bottle code
2010 vintage.

Poonamibaxter with the hookup on this one. Finally cracked it after waiting a bit.

App- Almost pitch black with a 1 1/2 finger mixture of brown/tan colored head. Lasted about two minutes before leaving a pool of bubbles on the top. Very minimal lacing.

Smell- It's not an undercurrent as the bottle states. It's big, robust oaky vanilla. Very nice. The chocolate/coffee as label states, takes a back seat. Nice roasty notes of malt and the bourbon smells very nice.

Taste- This is very different from what I expected. The yeast(I had no idea it was refermented) really adds a unique character to this beer. The coffee comes on the taste vs the aroma. A stout like this was very cleaver and well done. Some people might not like the yeast producing so much head or the feel but was quite good. Nice balance.

Mouth- Medium bodied with a high carb level. Really a suprise but adds a unique character and layer to this beer.

Drink- An 11.3% with this mouthfeel was quite a suprise. I really enjoyed it. Would really like a bottle of 09 & 10 now. Would drink this again in a heartbeat.

03-18-2011 04:37:22 | More by FosterJM
polisanl

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

2010 bottle on St. Patty's Day '11.

Pours black with thin tan head that lingered throughout. Strong bourbon on the nose at first. Sweet caramel comes out as it warmed. Boozy oaked bourbon taste. Feeling the alcohol burn down. Vanilla also. Dark chocolate on the back end taste as it warmed. Thick mouthfeel. Delicious and loved it overall.

03-17-2011 21:05:15 | More by polisanl
azdback

Arizona

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

I have been doing a lot of trading lately, and still have not been reviewing any of the amazing beers I have been receiving. Today, with Brooklyn Black Ops, that changes. Thanks to BjThang and claaark13 for the bottle that I am drinking, and the one which I will cellar for at least a year.

Appearance- Completely opaque, except for a slight glow at the edge of the glass. Four finger head reminiscent of cappuccino foam, or a root beer float. Lacing moderately, not as bad as some of the other reviews I have read. Corked and caged bottle, probably the sexiest beer bottle I have ever owned.

Smell- When I popped the cork, I immediately smelled the champagne yeast, but after the pour that has all but subsided. Definitely bourbon barrel, and also booze. Can't catch the chocolate or coffee. Maybe as it warms.

Taste- First is the balanced bourbon barrel, which is not overpowering at all. Followed by the chocolate I couldn't find in the nose. A little tart currant or maybe a dried cherry at the swallow. Just a bit of an interesting yeast flavor, ,must be the champagne yeast, but it is very slight and way at the end. .

Mouthfeel- Definitely champagne bubbles, which I suppose is what I was expecting, but for the style, I was expecting something I could chew on. Perhaps this would be better without "bottle re-fermenting."

Drinkability- Although the ABV is 11.6%, which is prevalent, this beer goes down easily. If I wasn't careful, a six pack might disappear before I felt the effects of the first.(I know it doesn't come in six packs!)

All in all very tasty, but for a barrel aged Imperial Stout, it leaves something to be desired. As it warmed, nothing really changed. Let's try this vintage again in a year.

03-13-2011 06:07:46 | More by azdback
Cyberkedi

Georgia

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a deep sable that is about a flea's eyebrow above pitch black with a thin tan head - the latter may be an artifact of how it was poured. Bourbon alcohol dominates the aroma, which has tones of semi-sweet chocolate and quality roast coffee. Flavor is like a fine mocha mixed with bourbon or brandy - the alcohol tends to dominate, if not overwhelm, the coffee and chocolate. Texture features a rather strong alcohol bite! This one is not for the faint of heart! If the alcohol bite wasn't so fierce, I would have rated this a little higher.

03-13-2011 02:29:34 | More by Cyberkedi
MADhombrewer

Oregon

3.48/5  rDev -15.7%

Two bottles (2008 and 2010). Both poured into tulips.

Bottled flat and then champagne yeast is used to carbonate it

Appearance- 08- black with small, filmy, tan head. 10- dark brown with red highlights. Tan head that ends in a ring.

Smell- 08- sweet with lots of dark fruits like dates and figs. Alcohol and a bit of a nail polish remover. Little chocolate as is warms. 10- no chocolate smell. Alcohol is the main component here. Some acetone as well.

Taste- 08- Chocolate and (I think) what would be champagne yeast taste. Very dry after taste. 10- Fruitier than the 08. More alcohol as well. I taste a little chocolate in the back ground. Still very dry after taste.

Mouthfeel- The 08 is heavier than the 10, but I thought this beer would have a much bigger mouthfeel than it does.

Drinkability- I am glad I shared this with others (tulipsnifter, hopsbreath, and witchsbrew). Don't think I could do a whole bottle myself. Something about the champagne yeast that turns me off a bit.

Thanks goes out to Cbros for the 08 and thanks to Hopsbreath for sharing the 10.

Overall I think this is a little thin for the style. The 08 is the better of the two (thus that is the one I rated in the numbers). The dry after taste kinda turned me off a little.

03-13-2011 01:44:42 | More by MADhombrewer
silentjay

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

deep, dark brown that settles to an opaque black with a latte colored head of fine, small bubbles that are quick to recede with good lacing left behind.

aroma is a bit odd. definitely getting the champagne yeast, with plenty of bourbon and vanilla. not much chocolate or coffee, but traces are there. maybe some rum. very sweet aroma.

boozy, with bourbon out front. deep roasted malts behind that with some milk chocolate, mocha latte, brown sugar, maybe some light molasses. not as robust as expected, but flavorful.

rather light bodied, though not unexpectedly, with fine, prickly bubbles and a bourbon heat on the finish.

drinks pretty well. not exceptional, maybe not worth the price, maybe not exactly for me, but a wonderful beer nonetheless.

03-12-2011 04:54:42 | More by silentjay
seeswo

2.68/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours black with too much cocoa head, but that was my fault as I have become accustomed to aggressive pours with BA beers. As the head settles, slowly, it invites me in. Smells of cocoa powder, chocolate, vanilla and the faintest hint of bourbon. Taste is of bitter chocolate and/or over-roasted malts, that finishes with a booze on the tail. It's one of the smoother BA RIS's out there until the very finish. There isn't a whole ton of the barrel in there, as I get much less vanilla than in the nose, and in general the flavor is dominated by the dance between being a bitter, not too sweet, but smooth RIS, and being too bitter and not sweet enough. Almost like buying one of those fancy 78% cacao chocolate bars that may just be a bit much, but yet is still enjoyable. The bourbon is balancing that back end which I vacillate between sips as being too much or just right. The mouthfeel is medium with heavy carbonation. I retract my previous statement attributing fault and blame it on the Champagne yeast. This is one of those beers that makes you burp, like Infinium (microreview: 4/3/2.5/3.5/3.5). 11.5% is hidden completely. Anything limiting drinkabiliy is solely the Champagne yeast (which is ultimately fine) and that finishing bitterness. I am going to give this a higher grade because I suspect I will have no problem finishing this 750 and appreciate that I probably won't get diabetes from it, unlike some other BA RIS's that are sugar bombs. Definitely an enjoyable BA RIS that is a different kind of experience than some. Worth trying and sits comfortably on that 2nd tier behind the best.

[Update after having this beer several more times, including blind - the last 2 batches taste of onions]

03-11-2011 04:24:58 | More by seeswo
bobhits

Kentucky

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

Sweet malt, vanilla, burnt aromas. A very clean very Russian imperial stout smell. Some coffee bitterness and perhaps dark chocolate notes in the back ground.

Pours deep dark brown and turns instantly black in the glass. A huge strong head with retention and lacing all over.

A chocolate and coffee blend with a wonderful sweet dark malt flavor. Vanilla, caramel, nutty flavors, toffee, and a finish with some bourbon (it feels like the finish is full bourbon flavors without the burn so vanilla and oak are big here).

The carbonation in this beer works in a few ways. First, it just explodes in your mouth like a champagne which is a bit off putting. Second, the carbonation gives this beer a cleaner and more drinkable feeling. Finally, it makes reviewing the body on this hard to judge as I can't see if the body is thick enough to leave an oily residue on the glass. A very dry beer with a hair more alcohol than is ideal. The beer is a bit too dry as well. The "negative" comments are just why this beer isn't perfect.

Bottom line here is that this is a wonderful beer and amazingly complex. Often I enjoy the strong bold flavors that stand out in the bourbon barrel aged stouts, but this one's amazingly complexity stands next to things like the Old Rasputin XII vs. the goose island bourbon county stout. Both are amazing beers but for very different reasons. I feel the flavor in this beer is beyond amazing, but it lacks in other areas from perfection. I feel this score won't reflect how good a beer this is.

This beer is very clean and the complex flavors really make it. I can't recommend aging this one, but if you come across an aged bottle, have at it. I just feel that the noticeably different flavors work to this beer's advantage.

03-09-2011 23:04:12 | More by bobhits
SpeedwayJim

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

Bottling date of 3159 meaning the 315th day of the year 2009. Poured from a corked and caged 750ml bottle into a Southampton oversize snifter.

A: Cork erupts with a loud pop. Carbonated for an imperial stout. Beer pours a 1.5 finger dark, fine, mocha colored head with good retention. Beer is a viscous, thick, opaque black. Lacing is stringy and spotty with good stick. Pretty legs too. A very attractive beer overall.

S: Nose is heavy on the booze. A first whiff reveals ethanol and big barrel aging that masks a lot of nuances. Chocolate, liquorice, and some prunes linger in the background but these are largely masked. A bit too much alcohol and a bit too little real flavor.

T: Opens roasted malt, chocolate, and ethanol that comes through the nose. Creamy vanilla and bourbon notes towards the middle along with sweet milk chocolate and some raisin and other dark fruit in the back. Roasted malt bitterness towards the end complimented by some prunes and more chocolate. Finish has a slightly unpleasant ethanol kick with more raisin. Aftertaste is cocoa powder and thin molasses. A complex beer is hidden behind the barrels somewhere here and I have a hunch this would be incredible out of a cask.

M: Medium to full bodied with low carbonation. Silky and

03-06-2011 23:25:33 | More by SpeedwayJim
xnicknj

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

750mL bottle poured into snifter glass. 2010 vintage.

Pours oily black with a thick, viscous graham cracker brown head, retains really well with a solid layer of film and plenty of splotchy lacing on the glass.

Decent wave of oaky whiskey in the nose with vanilla tannins, slight chocolate and roasted sweetness.

Bite of bourbon up front, smoother vanilla and earthy oak. Bittersweet dark chocolate and molasses with cocoa. Roasted malts throughout with caramel and syrup. Alcohol warmth and boozyness in the finish.

Full body, pretty creamy feel, a bit high on the carbonation though, which interferes a bit with the smoothness. Drinks nicely, good flavor, boozy but suited for the style. Not necessarily a great bal aged stout (abyss, bcbs) but definitely solid.

03-06-2011 06:48:32 | More by xnicknj
blammasterj

4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours as black as ink with a thick frothy tan head that looks like an inch-thick slice of chocolate ice cream.

The smell is all bourbon up front, followed quickly by really strong dark chocolate and cocoa powder. It also has a really nice malty sweetness that cuts through the back end of the aroma.

Wow! That might be the most aggressive non-boozy bourbon flavor I've ever had. I feel like I'm taking shots of whiskey with every sip and I'm getting more and more buzzed with very sip. Somehow, under and below the bourbon are dark fruits, cocoa powder, a faint bite of alcohol, French-press coffee, hazelnut, oak, leather, and bread dough.

The body is really light and fluffy, reminiscent of a Saison or belgian tripel. Having this the night after The Abyss really shows me the different, but brilliant ways to utilize bourbon in a stout.

Here we have a strong piney, oak that rides in hard yet accentuates the background flavors as opposed to the beautiful leveling dance that The Abyss performs. I've always been more of a fan of hoppy than malty beers, but these two have really shined a new light on matters. Brilliant; well done.

03-05-2011 19:25:21 | More by blammasterj
andrewinski1

New Hampshire

3.13/5  rDev -24.2%

Poured into a tulip. Pitch black, huge creamy head. Lots of sticky lacing.

I immediately smell banana. A bit of alcohol and bitter char.

The taste reveals dry bitter char, tobacco, and wood. A hint of dark fruit rounds it out.

The mouthfeel is relatively smooth, but far from the best of the examples out there.

This is an enjoyable bal, but with a market saturated with great offers, this one falls a bit short.

02-28-2011 02:31:18 | More by andrewinski1
Bendurgin

Maine

3.45/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle shared thanks to the ever generouse Andrewinski1. Thanks! Poured into a tulip. The beer pours black with a huge tan head at least three fingers. Great retention leaving some sticky lace behind. The aroma is kind of fruity, very boozey, slightly metallic and has a slight coffee undertone behind it all. The flavor is pretty solid. Bitter espresso and mollasses flavor. My biggest qualm is that I really get a metallic flavor also. Overall though pretty enjoyable. The body is full and smooth but what the hell? This seems like it could use a bit more carbonation. This surprises me because of the enormouse head. Not bad, a bit heavy. Overall, it's a sound beer, but not the best example of the style I've had.

02-28-2011 02:01:04 | More by Bendurgin
Urbancaver

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

typed up from an old review. 2009 vintage sampled sometime in the spring of 2010.

Pours dark dark brown almost black with lots of foamy head. Tiny bubbles indicative of TONS of carbonation. Conditioned in the bottle with champagne yeast so I guess this is not to be surprising. Smells chocolatey with a touch of bourbon. Sweeter than Black Chocolate Stout but not by much. The bourbon is far more subtle than I was expecting. Dry and chocolately on the tongue. Bourbon melds nicely. Certainly stronger than it smells. Thick but overly carbonated for me. Very drinkable though. a great sipper

02-26-2011 19:41:34 | More by Urbancaver