Brooklyn Black OPS - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: RixBeer on 12-20-2007

Brooklyn Black Ops (2008 commercially available version) was aged for four months in bourbon barrels, bottled flat, and re-fermented in the bottle with Champagne yeast. 940 cases produced.

10.7%-2008
11.5%-2013
11.6%-2014
3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

3.71/5  rDev -10.2%

2010 bottle; aged 1 yr before drinking.

A: Pitch black. Aggressive thick tan head that quickly dissipates and leaves lacing around the edges.

S: As far as bourbon barrel aged stouts go, the aroma of this one falls a little short for me. Mainly faint hints of vanilla, wood, bourbon and a little chocolate. Not as aromatic as I would have thought/hoped it would be.

T: This is a pretty decent tasting beer. Smooth, silky vanilla, bourbon up front. Some bitter chocolate on the back end. Faint roasty quality throughout. Very faint wood undertones.

M: A little thin honestly. It's an easy drinker, but it could stand to have a little more body. ABV is decent hidden but comes through more as it warms.

Overall, this is a solid BA stout. I like it more than the Brooklyn BCS for sure (which I do not really care for at all). I have never had it fresh, as I bought this bottle and aged it for a yr before drinking it, but I do like it with the yr on it. If i see this one again, I would buy it. However, it's a little steep in the price and I think there are some out there that are just as good if not better (try Schlafly Imperial Reserve stout for example) that also happen to be cheaper.

3.03/5  rDev -26.6%

Reviewed from notes from stout tasting. 2010 vintage

A- black, cola/brown head, some lacing.

S- champagne mainly with hint of vanilla.

T- roasted coffee, chocolate, oak, champagne yeast.

M- full, dry bubbly finish.

O- different for sure. Didn't pick up much BA characteristics. Champagne yeast just overpowered the beer, and is a terrible choice of yeast.

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

2008 vintage poured in a snifter.

The body and color is what you expect of this stout style, so that's good. The smell was great, and you can smell the bourbon coming though a little bit.

It tastes so mellow and so good with the bourbon flavor adding to the complexities of the beer. For me, I think it would benefit from more stronger bourbon flavor profile. Then again, I had the 2008 bottle, which I can imagine have a different flavors profile compared to more recent vintages.

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

3.85/5  rDev -6.8%

2011 Vintage served in a Chimay Chalice

Ink black with a small cafe ole dark cream colored head. The body looks thin.

Aromas of coffee, milk chocolate, vanilla bean, bourbon, oak, and apple skin.

The exact same on the palate as the nose. The flavor is not harsh for me whatsoever. I don't understand what the fuss is about. This is probably one of the easiest drinking bourbon-barrel aged ales I've ever had. Now, that's not a great thing because I like them to be big, bold, and thick. However, it's not a dealbreaker.

A little thin-bodied for the style. Very smooth though. The carb bubbles remind me of the way Russian River does things with the Champagne yeast here. Again, different but not desireable... not a dealbreaker though either.

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It pours pitch black, just like the bottle. Initial pour had no carbonation, but eventually it procreated a nice caramel head. Very large head, but no carbonation.

Smell has vanilla everywhere, like I was punched in the face by the vanilla. I like it. As it warms, the bourbon, booze, and roasted malt come out.

The taste was initially loaded with vanilla and booze. I like the amount of vanilla, but its just a bit too hot for me. Another Brooklyn stout thats too hot for me. I wish it was a bit more complex, but the bourbon, vanilla, and booze just take over.

3.53/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2009 bottling. Thanks to AltBock for this gift before his deployment to Okinawa & Afghanistan.

Pours a very dark black with a 1", tan head that quickly falls to a partial cover without leaving any lacing. There are some sticky legs when swirled.

The smell is boozy bourbon, almost entirely, but as it warms there is some licorice.

The taste is the bourbon, oak, minimal alcohol, and it just feels like all flavors have melded by now without anything standing out except the oak & bourbon.

Mouthfeel is quite thin but has good carbonation and is a bit dry.

Overall: Feels like this is somewhat past it's prime by about 6 months to a year. At this point, it's OK but nothing particularly special. I might pick one up next time I see it and wait for 1 year to drink.

Brooklyn Black OPS from Brooklyn Brewery