Brooklyn Black OPS - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black OPSBrooklyn Black OPS

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Brooklyn Black Ops (2008 commercially available version) was aged for four months in bourbon barrels, bottled flat, and re-fermented in the bottle with Champagne yeast. 940 cases produced.

10.7%-2008
11.6%-2009
11.3%-2010
10.7%-2011
10.5%-2012
11.5%-2013

(Beer added by: RixBeer on 12-20-2007)
bobsy

Ontario (Canada)

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Lovely looking bottle from the original 2008 release, generously shared by Eric on the occasion of me moving into my first house. Thanks, man, for both the beer and for all the hard work you put in helping me move. I owe you big time!

Pours a very dark brown with ruby highlights nad a voluminous mocha head that gradually drops to a whispy film, leaving a few streaks of lace on the glass. Excellent nose is sweet, spicy and chocolaty, and does a good impression of smelling like an awesome dessert. There's great barrel character in there providing a sweet spiciness and some string vanilla notes, which then melts into chocolate brownie.

Thankfully, the flavour delivers on the promise of the nose, and that 'smells like a great dessert beer' is a 'tastes like a great dessert beer'. Again, I'm reminded of a chocolate brownie because the focus is firmly on that hearty chocolate character and all the fudginess it entails. The luxuriously chewy mouthfeel even matches this perfectly. On top of that is a case of barrel ageing to perfection. There's enough character from the oak and bourbon to add and heighten the preexisting flavours without overpowering them. There's alcohol in there, but I'm not noticing it. Really, really drinkable stuff.

This is probably one of my favourite barrel-aged beers, and one of my favourite imperial stouts. Its crafted with that deft hand that garret oliver has, and its incredibly drinkable and worthy of a special occasion.

08-03-2010 17:02:35 | More by bobsy
ritzkiss

Ontario (Canada)

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

750ml corked and caged, original 2008 release which I got in a trade last summer with Viggo - thanks man!

Pours a deep dark brown, more auburn around the edges with two fingers of mocha/fudge brownie head which has some retention.

Nose is a bouquet of bourbon, vanilla, chocolate fudge and a hint of brown sugar - bourbon initially seems a little upfront but after a second whiff it fades into harmony.

This is a smooth, nicely integrated beer that showcases the good things about barrel aging. Loads of vanilla and a little bit of oakiness collide with the bourbon which is present but not overpowering the base beer. Fudgey chocolate, some roast, brown sugar with a molasses edge, slight bittering dryness in the finish which nicely complements the sweet, round body. Chewy mouthfeel, silky smooth.

The ABV is nowhere to be seen and my third of the bottle disappears all to quickly, it would not be a chore in any way to finish a bottle of this. I balked at the price tag on the 2nd release and now I am wishing perhaps I hadn't - this is a terrific beer!

08-01-2010 20:50:04 | More by ritzkiss
pokesbeerdude

Colorado

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

So, I've been hanging on to this bottle for about a year now, got it as an extra, yes my friends as an extra from roopy40. Figured beer 500 was appropriate. 2008 vintage, bottle notes it at 10.7%, and the number is 3448. Served in my Stone Imperial Russian Stout snifter, shared with my girlfriend.

A: Black, with a caramel brown colored head, very nice head retention, the 3/4 of an inch is sticking around impressively, great lacing. Completely opaque as well. As the head slowly recedes it is doing this cool gradual slope from the edge of the glass to the center. Very nice looking beer.

S: The smell is superb, chocolate, bourbon, roast, big time caramel smell as well, not a fake sort of caramel but real butter and sugar melted down into deliciousness. Strong notes of oak and bourbon barrels, vanilla, and a slight boozey burn but no really present ethanol alcohol smells. A little char, probably from the barrel, and a pretty decent amount of roast. No complaints so far. Very nice.

T: Bourbon is still pretty strong even with two years of aging, however it isn't out of place, decent amount of chocolate behind the bourbon. Oaky charred barrel, pretty damn woody as well. Light little bit of bitterness at the end from both the roast as well as a little bit of hoppy bitterness, but its mostly a boozy little bit of bitter on the back of the tongue. Just a faint bit of caramel, which would've been nice if it would've followed over from the nose a little more. Champagne yeast adds a little different flavor to the beer as well, maybe not quite as sweet as I'd expected. Impressive, but I'm afraid that the huge bourbon overwhelms the base beer. Still very tasty though.

M: A little on the thin side, perfect carbonation though that gives a nice creamy feel in the mouth. Slightly hot, and very dry. This really drys the mouth out for a big stout. I like the creamy feeling, but think a little more body would really help the beer jump to the next level.

D: Splitting the bottle with my girlfriend gave about the perfect amount for both of us. This beer is incredibly strong, and I can feel it most of the way through this snifter. Nice beer, but a little bigger body, and a little more from the base beer would help this out a ton. Probably wouldn't want to keep drinking this all night. I love bourbon, and I love stouts, the combination of the two is really a beautiful thing, however when they are mixed I really want the stout to shine with hints of bourbon and bourbon notes. Still not disappointed, this is a great beer, and I'm glad to get the chance to try it!

07-30-2010 01:10:43 | More by pokesbeerdude
glid02

Georgia

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Bottle purchased at Green's on Buford in Atlanta. This is the second batch of the first year it was released (2008 I believe).

Pours black with a one-finger tan head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of smooth roasted malts with good amounts of cocoa powder and vanilla. Very light hints of whiskey make an appearance every now and then.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though a bit more muted. Roasted malt flavors without a whole lot of roast kick things off and are joined quickly by good amounts of lightly sweetened dark chocolate. Midway through the sip hints of butterscotch and vanilla enter into things, carrying through to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is OK. The thickness just isn't there for a beer this big however the carbonation is nice and grainy.

Drinkability is good. I didn't have a problem finishing my glass and could have another.

Overall I was hoping a little bit of time on this beer would help thicken it up but if anything I think the flavors have become even more muted than the first time I tried it and certainly isn't up to par with next year's version when relatively fresh. Worth a shot but the price tag is a bit much.

07-29-2010 00:35:59 | More by glid02
kiddynamite920

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

Well I finally graduated college! Pop goes the bottle.

A: This thing poured out big, booming and beautiful. Looked luxuriously rich and dark. Big, fluffy dark brown head rose to the top of the glass and sat there for a while guarding the liquid below. Good luck seeing through this one. Dark as they come, stylistically beautiful.

S: Bourbon is fairly strong on the nose, mixed with some alcohol heat. Deep and dark chocolate leads the aromas, followed by some very dark roast coffee. Definitely some woody elements here as well. A slight sweetness of vanilla and brown sugar, and the bourbon seems to have had enough time to mellow out enough so it isn't overpowering. Hard to get down to the malt backbone with so many strong aromas in the foreground.

T: Bourbon is pretty enforcing here. Again, hard to get down to the malt base of this beer. Strong wood and bourbon with some alcohol twang. Bourbon does add a sweetness that is definitely nice. Reminds me of a chocolate I had while visiting France that had liquor in the center. Chocolate and dark roasty malts hit first, but the strength of the bourbon is what resonates the longest on the palate. Definitely glad I finally went for it and opened this. I'm getting the tingly character from the yeast that I experienced when I fermented an apple cider with champagne yeast. Quite a unique character for a beer. As the beer warms, it seems to fall more into style with some of the malts coming out.

M: Champagne yeast is a lovely thing and never would think of fermenting a beer with it, especially an RIS. Very thick and viscous, big chewy mouthfeel. Bourbon heat provides a nice warming sensation, not too over the top.

D: This bad boy needs time. I'm not even sure if time would mellow it out too much more considering I let mine hang out for just past 6 months or so. Just a gigantic RIS overflowing with both sweet bourbon notes, as well as some bourbon heat. Easy does it with this one.

07-23-2010 02:55:37 | More by kiddynamite920
donniecuffs

4.9/5  rDev +18.6%

Poured jet black with a finger of beige/brown head into a snifter; no visible carbonation (as expected), great retention, and even better lacing. The nose? Wow..dark chocolate, cocoa, currant, roasted malt, oak, caramel, coffee, and a hint of high alcohol content. The taste was a wonderfully balanced mix of all of the above through midpalate, and finishing with evidence of the alcohol content, and coffee/cocoa flavor afterwards. Thick and smooth; liquid velvet mouthfeel with no carbonation. Not a huge fan of the style, but I am a huge fan of this sipping beer. Again...wow.

07-22-2010 02:09:23 | More by donniecuffs
m1ked

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

My wife held this up to me on her B-day asking who wants a cup of birthday coffee? How could I say no?

A- pitch black with deep cocoa thin foam. Foam barely clinging to the edges. Looks rich.

S- this is where this beer really begins to shine. Deep rich roasted coffee, dark choclate mingle with the liquor notes that give a real spirit essence as opposed to "booze". I get some deep caramel, vanilla aroma, with a lingering coffee oiliness.

T- ahh this is delicious. Those rich roasted notes of coffee, dark chocolate are of course there.... But the nutty vanilla notes are present with a touch of chocolate covered cherry also. The nutty notes make me think of an orgeat liquor.

M- Heavy and viscous, but somehow it does not seem so heavy on my tongue. I assume it must have something to do with the champagne yeast giving it an almost effescent quality.

D- I was holding onto this for 7 months and looking to pop it around now, just waiting for the right time....sometimes it's as easy as bring told when the right time is. Given that the weather has been scorching lately, drinking this beer first thing in the morning seems very appropriate (stop judging). After having had the manhattan project and dark matter I can find many similar flavors and notes in this beer. I guess this was the 1st gen beer in those bourbon barrels. It's ol by me, because I really enjoyed those beers too. But I think the OG is the best of the bunch.

07-18-2010 13:26:59 | More by m1ked
billab914

4.13/5  rDev 0%

2009 vintage poured from a 750ml bottle into my Bruery tulip glass. Poured near black in color with a huge chocolaty and dense head filling 1/3 of the glass. The head had very good retention, lasting well into drinking it. Lacing on the glass was good as well.

The aroma has a moderate bourbon flavor, but shows a little more of the oak and vanilla barrel flavors. Chocolate comes through from the base beer flavor as well. Not an overly strong aroma to it for the style, but the barrel flavors come through pretty nicely.

The taste shows a lot of Bourbon flavors along with oaky, vanilla barrel flavors. The bourbon flavors are very nice and not hot at all at this point after a year plus of aging. Sweet chocolate and a hint of roasty flavor seems to be the major flavors coming out of the base beer. The chocolate mixes particularly well with the vanilla flavor of the oak. Good flavor overall, but possibly could have used a little more of the base beer flavors coming through the barrel aging characteristics to be truly outstanding.

The mouthfeel is of average thickness for the style, I typically like these big stouts a little thicker to suit my taste but it isn't bad. Carbonation is also moderate to low and fitting for the beer.

Drinkability is very good, it was a very good tasting beer to sip on this evening. I didn't try it fresh but heard it was a little hot. After a year of aging I can say it wasn't hot at all and was pretty much exactly the way I enjoy my Bourbon stouts. My only criticism is that the base beer could have come through with a bit bolder flavor in both the nose and taste. Still a very good bourbon aged beer though.

07-17-2010 00:52:44 | More by billab914
bigfnjoe

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a corked & caged bottle into a pint glass.

A- pours absolutely jet black with a nice brown, 2 finger head. Lacing is intense, all the way up the glass...some of the best lace I've seen. Looks amazing

S- strong dark chocolate and coffee. Getting a little bit of booziness from the bourbon. The more I smell it, the more and more the bourbon starts to rise up...

T- first sip gives me some sweet chocolate with some vague hints of bourbon in there. The next few sips give me more of that sweetness with the bourbon coming more and more to the forefront. There isn't a whole lot of character though...just the bourbon and the chocolate, with the bourbon becoming more and more of a factor. Disappointing, but still good.

M- very, very thick. Perfect considering how hot it is

D- this is certainly a hot one. Definitely a sipper...

07-11-2010 22:28:48 | More by bigfnjoe
NewGeneric

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

Thanks to NYCWheatFanSC for hooking it up.
Poured into my Tripel Karmeliet tulip.

A: Pours pitch black with the tiniest hints of brown around the edges. 2 fingers of milk chocolate foam fade pretty slowly leaving solid lacing around the sides of the glass.

S: Chocolate and bourbon. Along with some coffee, toffee, and vanilla. Alcohol presence from the bourbon.

T: Chocolate up front. Bourbon flavors come through in the finish, really nice vanilla. Plenty of fruit as well, very much a mix of lights and darks.

M: Alcohol is hidden extremely well. Nice and creamy with plenty of carbonation.

D: Could drink this any day of the week. Alcohol warmth is the only thing that detracts, making it difficult to drink a lot.

07-09-2010 02:52:17 | More by NewGeneric
strangefate

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a gorgeous pitch black with a dark brown head. The scent is incredible - chocolate and coffee, but words don't do it justice. This is one of the best, if not the best scent for any beer I've ever smelled. The taste is a bit boozey, and of coffee, dark malts, and a subtle smokiness. Very tasty. This is the perfect mouthfeel for the style - creamy and full-bodied. This is the way every Imperial Stout should feel. Despite the ABV, I could easily get carried away drinking this great beer.

07-08-2010 09:02:05 | More by strangefate
Franchise

Oregon

3.73/5  rDev -9.7%

This offering from Brooklyn pours a onyx black leaving a thick brown head strong and bubbly. The smell is bourbon, alcohol, vanilla, tart spices, strong herbal notes. This is a very interesting beer so far.

The taste is boozy upfront, highly carbonated with a strong alcohol profile almost overwhelming. Very dry mouthfeel with some graininess in the back of the palate. This warms you up the 11% abv is very apparent but the dark chocolate, herbal aspect help balance it a bit.

This beer overall feels a little raw highly carbonated and very boozy without enough balance but still a very solid offering from Brooklyn brewery.

07-02-2010 18:47:00 | More by Franchise
drabmuh

Maryland

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

2009 vintage of black ops opened by Matt at a recent get together. Thanks.

Beer is black and forms a brown head that leaves some but not much lacing on the glass. Carbonation is steady and moderate.

Aroma is mostly sweet with a tinge of alcohol and bourbon.

Beer is medium bodied and pretty sweet. It has a strong liquor character to it and its nicely flavored with bourbon. Nice levels of carbonation on the palate and good drinkability. Its a big beer but it goes down smooth. Body is creamy and smooth. Finishes fine, not too dry. Overall a good beer.

07-02-2010 03:10:57 | More by drabmuh
billshmeinke

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

Review from notes. Poured into a tulip. Brought it to Blue Palm in Hollyhood to share with my boy cmorton.

Fat four finger head khaki. Black with tiny bubbles rushing up the side of the glass. Really nice head retention. And belgian like lacing.

Smell is pretty subdued. Dark chocolate, licorice and black currants, vanilla oak, some bourbon and alcohol. Some champagne yeast sourness that's subtle. 4

Taste is vanilla lots of oak bourbon then dark chocolate and a subtle champagne yeast sourness reminds me me of angels share a little with a champagne yeast twist. Not really much lasting after taste which is interesting.
4.5

The mouthfeel is very soft and smooth. Carrbonation is low with tiny bubbles. And hot on the way down. Light and not sticky or heavy which is actually seriously the best part of this beer. 5

Drank this glass real fast. I could probably drink too much of this beer it goes down real easy. 4.5

06-23-2010 01:00:42 | More by billshmeinke
Beejay

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

A: Black as night in the forest. Full creamy head that is gently fading, but is persistent enough to stay for quite a while.

S: Oak and bourbon right up front, with brown sugar, coffee, and dark chocolate following. Almost a hint of raisons. This is a very nice smelling beer, though perhaps just slightly hot.

T: Very nice. Vanilla and oak dominate straight away. Hints of brown sugar come in, but then are quickly destroyed by the coffee and dark chocolate combo.

M: I think the carbonation is a little intense for the style, but not so much that it irritates me. This has an odd feeling to it, creamy smooth, but slightly thin.

D: Overall I think this could be a very dangerous beer. Tasty as hell and pretty potent. Very nice, but doesn't top some other beers in this style. Regardless this is a monster brew that is worth trying, and I only wish I had another bottle or two tucked away to try with a little age on it. le sigh.

06-21-2010 03:01:15 | More by Beejay
alleykatking

Indiana

3.4/5  rDev -17.7%

Poured from 750 bottle. Thanks goes out to Dan for sharing this one at Luke's tasting.

A- Pours a deep dark black color. One and a half finger mocha colored head which has fantastic retention. Ringy lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Lots of molasses and brown sugar in the straight front of this. This turns into a big bourbon bomb afterward. It kind of cancels out everything but can still tell there is some bitter chocolate in this and light roasted grains.

T- Roasted malts in the front of this shine for a second. Molasses and brown sugar with a hint of other sweetness in the end flavor upfront. Bourbon takes over from the middle with some light oak flavors. Chocolate comes into the backing but the booze seems to kick back in and leaves it's alcohol trail long into the ending.

M- Medium heavy mouthfeel. Carbonation was very low which was alright for me. Not very full bodied even with no carbonation. Flavors were drowned out by the heat of the alcohol. Very drying on the palate. Bourbon was left all over the palate and into the aftertaste.

D- This was a hot beer for me. I think some aging should clear up some of the mouthfeel and flavor profile. I would like to try this again with at least a year of age on it. Will have to trade for and keep in the cellar.

06-18-2010 08:44:54 | More by alleykatking
ToasterChef

Maine

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

Reviewed from my notes of a bottle pour at the Great Lost Bear. I was served about 6 ounces in a tulip glass. The Black OPS came to me looking pitch black, with a brown foam head. It is fully opaque, not light gets through whatsoever. It looks like a near perfect stout, except that it had hardly any lacing. Maybe this was just my glass though. The aroma is full of malt and bourbon. I can detect alcohol, oak, and slight roasted malt notes. The bourbon aspect is the strongest thought, and nearly overpowers everything. It is equally strong in the flavor. I can taste it right away and it gets stronger after I swallow. Coffee bitterness and alcohol provide a sharp bite that sits behind the bourbon. It's a very good flavor, but it is very hot. I would love to try some with a year or more of age on the bottle. The beer is full bodied. It is a bit sweet and sticky, but less so than some other beers of this style. The carbonation is at a good level--I don't feel too much on my tongue, but ti will foam up if I swish it around my mouth. I find the Black OPS to be somewhat drinkable in its fresh form. The bourbon will be too strong for most drinkers. The big stout characteristics will be too much for others. If I opened a bottle, I would need to share it. Still, I think this beer is worth seeking out; I'm just not sure it is worth the hype. I think I prefer local bourbon aged stouts (such as the one put out by Sebago) more.

06-15-2010 20:47:59 | More by ToasterChef
DavoleBomb

2.48/5  rDev -40%

Poured into a snifter. Big thanks to alpinebryant for this one.

4.5 A: Black color. Two fingers of thick, creamy medium brown head. Great retention and lots of lacing.

3.5 S: Wow, there's a ton of bourbon in here. Indeed, I'd say there is too much as it cancels out a lot of the beer aromas. Still, there's a reasonable roasted barley component with some dark chocolate.

2.0 T: I like bourbon barrel beers a lot, but this tastes more like whiskey than like beer and the flavors reflect that. Leather, oak, and vanilla. Moderate hop bitterness with some roasted barley again and dark chocolate.

2.5 M: Lighter medium body. I like imperials thick and viscous, so the mouthfeel was a letdown. Watery as opposed to creamy. Good moderate carbonation.

2.0 D: I like bourbon barrel beers when the bourbon complements the beer. Unfortunately, the bourbon in this dominates the nose and taste instead of adding complexity to a tasty base stout. I'm sure people who like whiskey a lot will find this very appealling, but I'm not one of them.

06-14-2010 01:46:12 | More by DavoleBomb
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

NO... SLEEP... 'TIL...

This is from the recent release.

I'm often disappointed with stouts over 10%... but I'm lov'n this one. A little bigger, hoppier & more bitter than their excellent chocolate stout.

A: BLACK. Tan head, excellent retention considering the strength, nice lace.

S: Sherry, bakers chocolate, molasses, hints of licorice.

T: Bakers chocolate, molasses, java, port, rye bread, licorice, good hopping (floral, grassy & hints of piny resin), solid bitterness.

M: Really full body without the residual sweetness or roasted acidity. Exceptionally well-crafted.

D: A great drinker considering the strength.

Awesome.

06-02-2010 22:18:37 | More by Derek
Arbitrator

2.23/5  rDev -46%

Chilled bottle into a glass. 2008 vintage. Shared by mfielden. Thanks Mark!

A: Pours a dark brown body, nearly black, with good carbonation.

S: Brown sugar, molasses, caramelly bourbon, oak, some anise, and booze (?). Surprising to get the last one in there, given that a) it's Garrett Oliver, and b) the beer is aged.

T: Definitely sweet flavors found here, but it's quite dry for an imperial stout. Brown sugar, molasses, caramel / bourbon. Easy to pick up. Just the same, it's very roasty, even borderline burnt, and the tannins blend that into a pronounced bitterness. Not my favorite combination. I get some booze again. Still, it's a balanced flavor; you can taste everything in proportion. It's just not a profile I enjoy.

M: It's a little hot for my tastes, but again, it's dry for the style. Med-full viscosity.

D: I didn't care for this beer. I prefer something with a little more body, a little less heat, and much less roast. Not something I'd get again. Abyss is half the cost and I enjoy it a bit more.

06-02-2010 18:37:15 | More by Arbitrator
DoubleJ

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Does OPS stand for On-base Plus Slugging? And how did this beer show up at Beachwood BBQ? 750 ml bottle shared three ways, on to the beer:

It's intimidating black in color, with a tanned head showing good head retention and lacing. OPS shows a mellow aroma to the nose, with notes of licorice, and a big chocolate fudge smell. There's a litle oak as well. The taste was great at fiest, with huge fudge flavors hitting the palate. After the first ounce, that fudge flavor slowly dissapeared. That cream flavor from vanilla wafers comes to mind as one of the notes that I taste. It's toasted. Throw in a little bit of solvent alcohol and licorice, and viola! Good stuff, just not the crazy good stuff I've come to expect from -bal aged imperial stouts.

OPS is good beer. Is it worth the price? Well, I paid $13.33, or one-third of the total price, so I guess it was worth it for a one time purchase. But I can't see this getting a second chance from my wallet.

06-02-2010 04:56:03 | More by DoubleJ
Halcyondays

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

750 mL bottle at Beachwood split with DoubleJ and my friend Evan, the bottle states 10.7%,

A: Pours black as night with a firm brown head, good retention, nice lace.

S: Predominately chocolate with notes of bourbon whiskey, hints of licorice.

T: Again, quite chocolately with a noticable bourbon play which is never at the forefront. The limited aging (4 months) allows the base stout to really make the main flavour. Chocolate fudge, milk chocolate, very malty with a hint of roast. The barrel makes the beer very smooth and elegant, but there's not a lot of oak/vanilla in the beer at all, much more of a straight up RIS than a lot of the barrel aged stouts on the market.

M: Full-bodied, quite smooth, soft carbonation, the bottle conditioning works great here for an elegance that forced carbonation would not have allowed.

D: This is good. At it's very expensive price though, I wanted to be wowed, and I was a little let down in that regard, but I still like Black Ops a lot. For the style, it's a very easy drinker.

06-02-2010 03:17:10 | More by Halcyondays
bl4ckwell

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

Appearance - Poured a dark jet black.

Smell - I got a strong boozy smell in the nose.

Taste - Although it smelled very boozy the alcohol taste was very effectively covered by the caramelized/chocolate taste of the beer. It was absolutely delicious.

Mouth feel - was a little bit thick, after drinking a few snifters of it, i actually needed to drink water.

Drinkability - It went down very easy and was a pleasure to drink.

05-29-2010 07:04:54 | More by bl4ckwell
htomsirveaux

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

750 mL bottle tried 1 Mar 2010.

Acquired in trade from... damn... don't recall, sorry.

Served in a Liquor Mart shaker pint (think we might have packed away most of the beer glasses for the move at this point). Large dark brown foamy head. Moderate carbonation. Beer is very dark brown, almost black. Aroma is nice, roasty, chocolate, cabernet, vanilla and dark roast coffee. Deep dark dry roasty flavor. Smooth and velvety, boozy, medium heavy body. Tobacco and dark chocolate throughout. Finishes with coffee and a bit charred. Some lactose in the aftertaste.

Appreciate the trade to let me try this!

05-25-2010 04:25:31 | More by htomsirveaux
Deuane

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Thanks to Ffejherb and Brewslut for bringing back a bottle of this straight from NYC!

A-Black, duh! A medium, dark tan head rises up and then reduces to a thin cap and leaves clingy, ringing lace.

S-Chocolate and coffee with a bit of alcohol burn and subtle hints of bourbon in the background.

T-BOOM! Big chocolate upfront with an equally powerful bite of dark roasted coffee. Light notes of bourbon sweetness, licorice and earthy hop notes in the drying finish.

M-Medium-heavy body with long lasting coffee and roasted malt bitterness and chewy richness.

D-Hmmm....I was worried this one would be a bit hot--but NO! Tasty? YES! This is some damn good stuff. Looking to revisit this one after I let a bottle get a little age on it. Well done Brooklyn.

05-24-2010 11:44:08 | More by Deuane