Brooklyn Black OPS - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: RixBeer on 12-20-2007

Brooklyn Black Ops (2008 commercially available version) was aged for four months in bourbon barrels, bottled flat, and re-fermented in the bottle with Champagne yeast. 940 cases produced.

10.7%-2008
11.6%-2009
11.3%-2010
10.7%-2011
10.5%-2012
11.5%-2013
11.6%-2014

2008 bottle, poured into old guardian snifter.

Pours 1/2 finger of tan head. Fades to a thing ring, then good retention leaving some lace rings. Color is an oil black.

Aroma: Lots of chocolate and vanilla. I get some sour grapes as well, which I find odd. That might be from the champagne yeast. Some oak and bourbon, rounded out with some heat.

Taste: So much grapes here. Followed with other fruits: cherries and raisins. Then comes the vanilla, oak, and chocolate. Not a lot of bourbon, but the aftertaste brings some heat.

Mouthfeel: smooth and hot. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends very malty and hot.

Overall, not a bad beer, but nothing amazing. I shared this with a few other BAs and we all agreed it had more wine characteristics then bourbon flavors. I wouldn't want to spend another $22 on this one. It is good, but I expected better.

4.73/5  rDev +14.5%

Been looking forward to this one for a while... waiting for the right night. Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Chimay chalice. Pours motor oil black with a huge brown frothy head. Head lasts a long time, infact remains a nice surface of creamy head until beer is just about gone. Excelent lacing, frothy and sticky.

Aroma is a little more mild than I expected, but definitely picking up chocolate and coffee.

Flavor is incredibly good. Sweet of chocolate and coffee. Surprisingly, a little hoppy on the back side. Thick mouthful, booze warming...malty, a little creamy vanilla. Great RIS!

4.73/5  rDev +14.5%

One of those beers that just does it all right. Massive dark malt, with a touch of sorgum sweetness and the hint of bourbon vanilla. Not too much heat from the alcohol, but enougth to add a little spicyness. Swirling in the glass reveals an almost oily coating legs. Finish is surprisingly smooth. Deserving of its sougth-after status.

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

Bottle very generously shared by nickd717. Nick is really an awesome guy. No really, I mean it, he is amazing. Hands down the greatest RateBeer and BeerAdvocate member ever. No contest.

Anyway, self-flattery aside, this beer pours as black as a black op with a huge creamy tan head and excellent lacing. Really looks stunning. Sort of reminded me of Jessica Alba in her heyday in a bikini.

Aroma is nice and subtle, balanced and not in your face with the bourbon. Lots of chocolate and roast along with some vanilla and bourbon notes from the -bal aging.

Flavor is also great and complex. Not quite as flavorful as some of the top tier RISes, but balanced. Roasted malt, chocolate, oak, vanilla, anise, and a little bourbon booziness.

Medium-plus body for the style, just a little boozy. Really enjoyable overall and drinkable for the style. Paired pretty nicely with a cigar.

3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

Nice bourbon stout, a touch light but uplifted and dominated by a yeasty champagne character.

Presentation: 750 ml corked bottle. Black and silver simple and exclusive-like design with a Brooklyn initial on a silver circle at the center. Tongue in check narrative on the back pretending not to exist and noting the main qualities and intent of the non-existent brew. Offers a relief batch number but no legible best by or bottling date, this is however the late 09 release, available early 10. Notes Alc. by Vol. (11,6%) Served into a snifter.

A - Black pour with small dark brown-ruby edges, good brown bubbly head. Average to small retention with very brief touches of lacing.

S - Big champagne/cava yeast whiff right after the pop. It settles, fades and gives room to a nice bourbon range, a bit of chocolate, roasted malt, and then the champagne weaves itself back around the malted bourbon.

T - The taste follows the smell in sync albeit the champagne yeast does not feel so present early on. The bourbon note is rich but not overpowering, in fact it is a bit short not only as the roasted malt emerges and is joined finally by a very clear champagne, or cava/bubbly sense never to retreat.

M - Full to medium body with good and tingling carbonation... The champagne is surely picking it up but equally takes quite a prominent character with the carbonation and a bitter, dry, and crisp finish. Nice, but best for those who might be after this particular combo.

D - It's not too bad a sipper but in the end the champagne character takes over as the main drinkability aspect. In that regard if one can enjoy the length of a stout with that undercurrent it may feel extraordinary, if not... In any case it remains nicely drinkable, but not extraordinary for my taste.

Notes: It is certainly not only over-hyped but painfully overpriced. Unless one is a great admirer or the subtle if persistent champagne edge for a bourbon stout this feels rightly undeserving. Mind you, it is pretty good, but not that good.

4.62/5  rDev +11.9%

Bourbon smell and flavors are front and center. I wouldn't be surprised if they added a little bit of straight bourbon to the brew. Malts are relatively sweet and only mildly smoked complementing the bourbon flavors. Very mildly hopped. Well-carbonated, but dies down quickly from the high alcohol. Surprisingly light mouthfeel considering it's pushing 11% ABV...texture is not at all syrupy. It goes down dangerously easily, so I'm giving this a high drinkability score. If you like bourbon, scotch, or whiskey, Brooklyn's Black Ops won't disappoint you.

4.45/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was saving this beer for something, I don't remember what. Then, on my birthday, it was snowing so we didn't go out for dinner, and I decided what better time to have this beer. It was a great birthday treat. In a tulip glass it was black with a thick cocoa head. Great aroma: cocoa powder and sweet chocolate, coffee, and big bourbon. Taste fulfilled my expectations. Chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and bourbon. Warming in the mouth. Spectacular.

4.32/5  rDev +4.6%

appearance: deep dark black, nearly ebony, loaded head and creamy dark froth.

smell: definitly smell the bourbon and brown sugar aroma. some coffee, and chocolate aromas

taste: strong bourbon. a little overpwering though. rich and slight chocolate roasted flavors but had a smooth rich taste

mouthfeel: thick, creamy, good carbonation and very tasty

drinkability: solid RIS as expected from Brooklyn. Ilike BCS better. this was too bourboned for me.

4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

Picked this up at the local craft beer store, the manager was nice enough to put one aside for me because he knew I would like it. Got this for a colleague as well, he was a huge fan of this beer too. This is an awesome!! beer, and I would highly recommend that y'all get your hands on a bottle before there all gone.

3.65/5  rDev -11.6%

Purchased this bottle of the recent release from New Beer in New York on a recent visit. My first experience and I'd heard many good things about this one.

Appearance- Pours the usual motor oil black out of the bottle with a nice finger and a half of dark brown head. Dies back to a ring of bubbles around the edge fairly quickly. Small amount of lacing left as I drink. Pretty solid carbonation for the style.

Smell- Very nice nose with lots of big bourbon notes coming through. Heavy scents of vanilla and as my BA buddy CharlatanSin who was splitting the bottle with me so poetically put it, smelled an awful lot like someone put a scoop of vanilla ice cream into a glass of bourbon. Lots of wood and some tobacco coming through as well. Ultimately, the nose proved to be my favorite part of this beer.

Taste- Very upfront on the bourbon as the nose indicated. Rich bourbon and vanilla with lots of roasty malt. Some tobacco showing through again as well, but taste dominated by oak, vanilla, and bourbon. However, my problem here was not with the flavors themselves but a rather prominent and astringent level of alcohol that showed through. For my palate, this astringency separated the flavors somewhat and didn't lend itself to a particularly smooth integration.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel was a bit on the thin side, which was probably exhaggerated by the astringency of the taste. Drinkability hurt somewhat as a result by that hot alcohol taste as well.

Overall, I'd really like to try this with some age on it. I suspect that the alcohol would subside and the flavors would integrate better as a result. I was a bit disappointed with this fresh unfortunately but still a very solid offering nonetheless.

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%

Thanks to JoeyBeerBelly for sending me this brew in our trade. Cheers Joe!

A- Pours a pitch black color with a deep brown colored head that leaves a bit of lace.

S- Full roasted smoked malt with some chocolate and alcohol.

T- I can definitely pick up more bourbon in the taste. Dark roasted chocolate flavors with some light hints of vanilla bean and a big bourbon boozy finish. Flavors of molasses, coffee beans, anise oil, and black licorice become more pronounced as it warms.

M- Full rich creamy body. Gentle carbonation with a slight warmth of alcohol in the finish.

D- This is one mean brew. Nice full rich flavor with a good punch of alcohol.

4.87/5  rDev +17.9%

Finally opening a bottle from the original 2008 batch. Its pitch black with a thick dark brown head. Aroma is full of sweet dark chocolate, vanilla, light fruits and the taste is similar -- sooo smooth! Bourbon and vanilla flavors are up front and really smooth out the taste. The alcohol is hardly noticeable in the taste, but I'm definitely feeling it. The carbonation is just right, and the feel is not too thick or syrupy, but definitely not any where near watery --- just right. This beer is extremely dark and smooth. This is how I like my stouts!

4.23/5  rDev +2.4%

This must be the 2009 batch, as the ABV is up to 11.6 and the cases brewed is 1000 on the bottle, 1100 or 1200 online. 750 ml.

Pours rather thickly, black as can be. Down the side of the glass at first, it didn't seem to be generating much of a head, so I poured harder only to get a somewhat slow rising, but unstoppable head that overflowed my glass. Call it 3 1/2+ fingers. Totally black. The head is about as brown as they get. Good lacing. Ruby highlights with 1/4 inch left in the bottom of the glass.

Sweet chocolate and bourbon in the nose. Hints of coffee and alcohol. Some caramel as well.

Plenty of sweetness up front, but very drying after. More bourbon and dark chocolate. The bitterness of burnt malt. Almost lemony. Substantial alcohol burn in the throat.

Rather smooth and somewhat creamy. Medium thick.

A sipper for sure, but full-flavored and tasty. A little on the dry side for me, but an excellent brew. A bit raw, but would probably age well.

Comparison with another $20 750ml I purchased recently (Firestone 13):

As I said before, the Brooklyn seems a bit on the raw side, while the Firestone is incredibly smooth, having been aged substantially longer than the Brooklyn's 4 months. The Firestone is also noticably sweeter, which I prefer, and seems more complex as well. Strangely, the Brooklyn's 11.6 ABV nearly got the best of me, while the Firestone's 12.0 was, simply, glorious.

3.22/5  rDev -22%

750ml caged and corked bottle purchased at McKinnon's in Salem, NH; split with BA MrHurmateeowish. pours a an opaque ebony color with an inch of light brown head. scents of overpowering alcohol and slight scents of chocolate. tastes of chocolate, bits of roastyness, and tons of alcohol. full bodied and rich. for me, there was just too much alcohol in this for me, it was definitely a sipper.
BTW, our bottle said the abv was 11.6.

Cheers!

3.66/5  rDev -11.4%

750ml caged and corked bottle purchased at McKinnon's in Salem, NH; split with BA CheckMate. Pours an opaque black body with a good inch of persistent light brown head. Bourbon, vanilla, coffee, date, and wood characterize the aroma. Bourbon, coffee, dark chocolate, vanilla, wood, and fruit all comprise the flavor. A little boozy at the start, but the alcohol flavor takes a backseat after a few sips. Bourbon flavor stays fairly persistently though. Definitely a sipper, with the full rich body and low carbonation with the alcohol warming. Not that keen on bourbon myself - I've had bourbon barrel aged beers with much less bourbon character. The Champagne yeast brings an interesting fruitiness/vineousness to the table and dries it out nicely. I'd bet this would age amazingly, and I may just buy another bottle for that purpose. As it is now though, the beer is just a bit over-the-top for my taste.

4.75/5  rDev +15%

Picked up three of these from the liqour depot in avon. Decided to try one fresh. Nice tan head, black body, looks a bit oily.

A - Vanilla, bourbon, chocolate. MMM smells very tasty. Well, maybe not to those of you who can't appreciate a nice Russian Imperial Stout and would prefer something watermelon flavored.

T - Rich and tasty. Oak, Chocolate, hints of coffee, vanilla, bourbon. Love it. Absolutely spot on for me.

M - Very well balanced, full bodied, rich and creamy.

World class - tried to go slow on a 12 oz chalice pour but my taste buds kept screaming for more.

4.26/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

App. - Poured into a stemless wine glass. Inky black with a nice mocha head that isn't huge, but it does stick around for the show. Absolutely no light gets through this bad boy.

Smell - Getting a lot of bourbon. My nose isn't the greatest, but this beer isn't giving me all that much else to work with, which is not necessarily a bad thing. (as I drink more I also get some dark fruit)

Taste - Big bourbon and chocolate notes from this bottle. The last bottle I had (approx. a week before this review) was less chocolate and some more vanilla, but both incarnations have tasted great. This is a "well-tamed" beer for the style. It is upfront about the bourbon, but the other flavors are very well integrated and don't over power each other. This is a good benchmark for what a bourbon barrel aged Russian Imperial stout should taste like: a well made RIS with big notes of bourbon. Ultimately, this beer incorporates bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, and a hint of dark fruits (figs, raisins, etc.) very well.

Mouthfeel - Slick, oily, smooth, and with just enough carbonation to move the party along. Perfect.

Drinkability - I know some people have been complaining that this beer is hot, but I am hardly getting any heat that isn't to style or welcomed. Granted, I have been drinking a lot of scotch and whiskey recently so I might not notice it as much, but this beer did a very nice job of combining bourbon and RIS. Ultimately, this is a very well balanced and very solid beer.

4.01/5  rDev -2.9%

A- Pours black...surprise here? Dark brown head that last throughout the whole beer.

S- I get bourbon right away and big time. After letting it warm, I still get tons of bourbon and hotness. Light roasted malts and carmelt behind the bourbon.

T- Again, big bourbon up front with light toasted malts after.

M-Smooooth as ever. First thing that I noticed with this beer. Nothing more to say

D- I split this bottle with kfsv034, and wouldnt have much more. Big bourbon flavor with not much else. But I still like it. Real gem, different but good.

4.13/5  rDev 0%

2009 Bottle Was going to cellar this one but after hearing so many mixed reviews about whether this was great right now I had to give in and open a bottle.

A- Pours a deep Oily black with a three finger tall foamy brown head that has incredible retention (after 5 minutes there's still a finger worth left).

S- Big grainy and sweet bourbon notes, dark fruits (figs, raisins), vanilla oak, a touch of warming booze.

T- Heavily influenced by the bourbon at the current state. Hmm not sure how I feel about scoring this one since I love bourbon and this has loads of it. Not all that hot really just big on bourbon flavor, in addition there's some dark chocolate and coffee notes, as well as a light hint of caramel sweetness from the barrels.

M- This would be my biggest gripe with the beer. I'm not sure if because of the bottle conditioning with the champagne yeast or something else but the body winds up very heavily carbonated and a bit on the thin side for how big a stout this is. I would like this to be a touch more viscous.

D- If you enjoy bourbon then you'll likely enjoy this beer fresh. I think that many people are confusing booze heat with the sheer bourbon flavor that this beer presents. I would not describe it as hot, it's just a potent brew with big flavors.

4.48/5  rDev +8.5%

For a beer that cost a pretty penny, I'm expecting a lot.

Pours a pitch black color into my tulip. Immediately, a thick brown head forms and fades, leaving lacing around the edges of the glass.

The aroma is full of bourbon and more bourbon. There are subtle hints of coffee and cream but not as much as I'd hoped.

Taste is full of bourbon which gives way to cocoa, coffee and a hint of cream. Not as bad as I thought. Quite tolerable. Bourbon still lingers but it's not too powerful. A second sip uncovers dark fruits and more of a bitter coffee feel.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering flavors and the bourbon does not dominate. Somewhat thin though. Very nice overall.

Tastes like a bigger cousin of their Black Chocolate Stout. Certainly worth what I paid and you should check it out too.

4.23/5  rDev +2.4%

This was the Winter '08/'09 edition. Consumed out of an odd bulge-in-the-middle glass at a house party. Thanks to dschuster03 for this one. Bottle #3178.

A - Big reddish mocha foam, with over two fingers in a smaller glass. Excellent retention that settles to a thick cap. The body is pitch black, without any traces of color. There are a few spots of lacing left as the beer is consumed.

S - Earthy bourbon, sharp oak, some dark roast coffee, and a touch of coconut. There's not much of the vanilla or butterscotch flavors that I expect from a barrel-aged stout. The smell is a little harsh and acrid before it warms up, and it's still on the boozy side, even after a year.

T - The taste is much mellower, with a lot of fudge, chocolate, and marshmallow flavors, and significantly less bourbon character. The notes of coffee are also relegated to some light bitterness in the aftertaste that mixes with some tannic character as well. This is more of a 4.25, as I really dig the lack of booziness in the flavor, but have misgivings about the reduction in complexity from the aroma.

M - Medium bodied, with lower carbonation, and quite slick and sticky. Could be a little heftier for a 10.7% brew. There's a touch of warmth at the back end.

D - Surprisingly easy to drink, as the slick texture and minimal alcohol taste make it easy to keep reaching for another sip. The biggest problem is the lack of a defining characteristic when compared to other bourbon-barrel imperial stouts, combined with the somewhat excessive price. This is at least 50% more than a bomber of BCS, with only an extra 4oz or so.

Still, it's worth trying. I'll be interested to see how the fresh batch compares.

3.7/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured from a corked and caged 750ml bottle into two St. Bernardus goblets. Thanks to pops for the assist!

2008 version
Bottle # 3448

A: Pours pitch black with a dark (DARK!) tan head. The foam never gets thicker than 1/2 finger, has good retention, and left some gorgeous and sticky tendrils of lace behind.

S: Seriously excellent nose going on here. Bourbon, espresso, smokey char, dark chocolate, molassas, fudge, dark fruit,and heavily roasted malt.

T: See above. Very nice, but as the bottle wore on, the flavor of alcohol became a little intrusive.

M: Very spritzy/carbonated. Big time booziness comes on around mid-glass and before long booze is all we could taste. The first 1/2 of the glass was sweet, slick, and roasty. That in itself saved this score from being a 2.5.

D: This started off very promising and really wore on us as we worked though the bottle. It actually seemed a little sloppy to us from the mid-way point on. I've been hanging onto this bottle for almost a year in hopes of smoothing it out. I can't imagine how rough this must have been when newly bottled. Definitely not worth the $.

4.77/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured into an Ommegang tulip.

A - Poured a thick motor oil with a chocolate shine and generous cream/tan head.

S - OH WOW! You can really smell that bourbon, but a chocolate, caramel bourbon. Has a really nice smoky woody odor.

T - Chocolatey bourbon.

M - Smooth and creamy. Thick and filling, but still silky. The afterfeeling in my mouth is really amazing. Feels like I just had a glass of bourbon.

D - A special occasion beer for sure. The short supply, high price tag and limited availability made it hard for me to crack it open, but on a cold winters day, this one hits the spot.

This is a really unique beer that lives up the hype. I was extremely hesitant to spend the cash and didn't really expect this to be as unique as it is. I am really glad that I took the plunge to try it and will hopefully get a chance to find another 1 or 2 to hang onto while they are still available. As a bourbon and stout fan, this was the perfect marriage!!! A must try for either.

--- -- - -- ---
Update (3/27/11) just popped open this year's and must say not nearly as boozy as I had remembered. Same killer taste and feel. Now that we don't track drinkability (I gave it a 4), but rather the overall, I must give this a 5. Call me a homer, but I am proud to have such a fine beer come from my home state. In the spirit of first impressions, I will leave the score as originally slated.

--- -- - -- ---
Update (1/6/12) just popped the most recent version and am loving it. the booziness is definitely there, but as the world of bourbon barrel aged stouts grows and grows, i've become more accustomed to these big brews (and this year seems a bit tamed back than the past few). this one remains a classic to me, but not the jewel that i once believed it to be. still a great beer, and probably in the top 5 or 10 BBA brews in my opinion. cheers to the local boys garret and team for doing it again!

4.37/5  rDev +5.8%

At least four fingers of creamy, dark-mahogany froth lurk above this coal-black beer, some cascading action gives way to a coating of lace and legs after a long while.

The aroma more than lives up to expectations as it unfolds from oak to chocolate then bourbon. Along the way, one can detect molasses, espresso and wheat bread playing a subordinated role. As it warms, pine sap and raspberry enter ones consciousness.

The flavor profile is amazingly well paired to the aroma. This is a symphony masterwork as bitterness becomes an afterthought amidst the sensory stimulus. Bittersweet chocolate and dried dark fruits are revealed with bourbon. One could write a thesis on this beer during the long subtle finish.

This is a full-bodied, creamy stout that is like velvet on the tongue with moderate carbonation. The warming alcohol is welcome and nowhere near the expectations of 11% ABV.

Sip in a Hoegaarden Snifter, as you read or contemplate the hours away or discuss and digest with soulful companions, Black OPS is a winner.

Black OPS, mystique aside, floods my consciousness with memories of my grandfather smoking cigars in his study lined with books and dark wood paneling. All that he inspired in me returns in torrents of excitement. In one word, WOW! Thanks Brooklyn.

4.37/5  rDev +5.8%

This came from Stopbarking a long while back... Daniel is a fucking excellent trader.. Shared with the boys and reviewed from notes.

Beautiful dark brown head.. nice lacing..

Bourbon.. chocolate.. dark malts and dark fruits leap from the glass.. very "big".. complex with everything meshing very well.

Flavor is immense.. great dark chocolate blends with the vanilla making this like a dessert.. bourbon is very pleasant and adds a great depth to the traditional RIS flavors... a bit of burnt sugar and really no char. This is a lesson in "less is more".. just a great brew .. I think it honestly needed more time in the bottle.. the flavors were all great, but needed to meld a bit more.

Thanks again Daniel.. We never talk anymore ;-) We should do it again sometime... You hooked me up bigtime.

4/4.5/4.5/4.5/4