Brooklyn Black OPS - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black OPSBrooklyn Black OPS

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Brooklyn Black Ops (2008 commercially available version) was aged for four months in bourbon barrels, bottled flat, and re-fermented in the bottle with Champagne yeast. 940 cases produced.

10.7%-2008
11.6%-2009
11.3%-2010
10.7%-2011
10.5%-2012
11.5%-2013

(Beer added by: RixBeer on 12-20-2007)
4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

750mL brown glass cork-finished. No date.

Appearance: Poured into pint until half-full, greyish-tan head cascades out almost filling the glass the rest of the way. Head settles but is very fluffy. Beer is opaque black.

Nose: Lots of sweet black vanilla bean, dark brown sugar, nutmeg, roasted coffee beans, some alcohol is noticeable, but not overpowering. Smells like a bakery/coffee shop.

Palate: Medium- to full-bodied and surprisingly low carbonation (might have all escaped during pour). Some acidity is noticeable and a little hot from the whiskey. Dark black coffee, vanilla extract, some hop bitterness, cocoa powder, dark chocolate (80%) and some almost burnt sugar. Finish is long and focused like a great sip of perfectly brewed coffee.

Notes: Seriously good...but of course, that is only if this beer exists, which it does not. But if it did exist, I'd say that it's one of the best beers that I've had from Brooklyn. I would like a little more body, though, to support all the flavor. Other than that, great.

Also, a great beer for my 100th rating on BA!

Appearance: Dark. Opaque. Like a moonless night sky crossed with blackstrap molasses.

Smell: The bourbon and oak hit you first, followed quickly by an earthy coffee. Cocoa is in there, too, as nearly everyone has said. The aromas dance around as it warms up, some coming to the surface, others retreating, always with a sweet oak/vanilla backbone - very complex. This is a beer to sit with for a spell, just enjoying being in the presence of.

Taste: Sweet oak and bourbon up front, just like the aroma. A hint of hops, a tiny touch of acidity, but not sour or tart in any way - orange rind, maybe? And then a soft wave of espresso, which lingers, along with the initial sweetness, on the finish.

Mouthfeel: On the heavier end, light carbonation. Creamy and smooth, just what one would hope for in this style.

Overall: Wow. I mean, WOW. Every flavor is clear and clean, yet beautifully integrated into the whole. The bourbon, while present, never overwhelms. Hands down, the best new beer I've tasted this year. This might be Garrett Oliver's crowning achievement.

I'd be curious to see how it cellars, though I'm not sure it's a good idea. The flavors might integrate more, but I'm not entirely sure that would be a good thing as the balance is, to my palate, perfect at the moment. Still, I might stow a bottle or two away for the future, assuming this will never become a regular production item.

4.85/5  rDev +17.4%

Special thanks to zappata for passing this fine brew my way. The beer was lightly chilled and served in a pint glass.

Appearance: The words dark and lovely come to my mind for a description of this beer. The beer poured dead black coloration. No opaqueness was noted when held up to the light. The head is giant with the coloration of lightly creamed coffee. The head never did die. The lacing on my glass looked like pancake batter.

Smell: The aromas of bourbon , vanilla, dark roasted funky summatra coffee, bitter sweet cocoa, a slight earthyness rose from my glass. A constant layer of bourbon was present at all times.

Taste: Holy bourbon! The flavors of bourbon are present start to finish. Laced through the flavors of bourbon is a dam fine Russian Imperial Stout. Dark roasted coffee, bitter sweet cocoa, vanilla and ever present bourbon. They are not fucking around with the bourbon. If you dont like bourbon you will hate this beer. Despite all the bourbon flavors alcohol didnt factor into the beers flavor profile.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: Some folks may not like the bourbon character of this beer its boozey. Frankly I think it added alot to the beer. The body of the beer is on the plus side of medium. Carbonation is light but perfect for this beer. The alcohol in the mouthfeel may die down with some cellaring. But I think the beer may not be as satisfying in character. This is an excellent beer treat. This is all the promises of bourbon barrel aging put paid. I am really not certain this beer could be improved upon.

4.13/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: If it did exist, this beer would pour a mysteriously dark, pitch black color with a creamy mocha head that coats the chalice and really delivers the lace

Smell: A myriad of aromas make this one hard to pin down - mocha, dark chocolate, dried dark fruit, bourbon, vanilla, charred oak...and alcohol

Taste: After a brief mocha flirtation, the beer drills into the dark chocolate and, by mid-palate, adds dark fruit and the barrel flavors of whiskey mash, oak and vanilla; all of this is complemented by the hop bill, as well; after the swallow, there are some sweet and sour elements and then a resurgence of the alcohol; the bourbon arrives late and wafts upward from the gullet; lots of wood in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with delicate carbonation, from the Champagne yeast; I guess the yeast impacts the mouthfeel as I would have expected it to be fuller

Drinkability: A very different take on the style - a thinner body and more overwhelming bourbon and wood flavors than others of this style; I have tasted this one young and when it has matured a bit and would recommend cellaring it for some time as it is too one-dimensional when young

4.88/5  rDev +18.2%

From notes Easter Sunday 2009, April 12

This review does not exist, but if it did it would be something like the following:

Eye: Jet black and inky, thick looking, no light diffuses through it. Initial head formation was very nice but it has since faded to little more than a ratty looking blanket over the beer. I've poured a bit more into the glass to see if it helps out the retention we'll see... Now I've got a thick healthy looking creamy brown cushion of what looks like a thick creamer, it appears as if it could be cut. Chocolate mousse! like the kind found in desserts. I'm happy with retention, but something a bit larger would be very nice. Despite the fact that the head is small this still looks delicious.

Nose: Wow, before even sniffing while I'm putting my nose closer to the glass intense bourbon aromas-alcohol (as it comes out in bourbon), vanilla and oak smack me in the face. Very robust aroma. Strong notes of caramel and toffee, chocolate and coffee notes as well. This beer's aroma is so intense that I've not even begun to explore it. Aroma here is very pronounced and complex, I like that its easy to pick such great characteristics up without looking extremely hard or making a stretch. Roasted and some burnt aromas here too. Alcohol is here too, its a different character than that of the bourbon, this alcohol aroma is different, its the alcohol that actually comes from the fermented beer as opposed to the barrel. Sounds crazy but I can detect a difference. This beer is absolutely wonderful.

Tongue: Barrel character is right upfront, bourbon alcohol character is here and it differes from the alcohol that comes later which can be traced back to the beer. Black bitter coffee bean character lingers in the aftertaste. Caramel and toffee are here subtly just as in the aroma, vanilla tones as well, oakiness too. Roasted grain and black/burnt flavors balance out the bourbon characters. Roasted grain bitterness. Alcohol also gives some balance. Overall this is one damn fine beer. I'll say that it beats the shit out of Goose Island BCS as well as Founders KBS. Its different than both but has just the right blend of burnt, barrel, caramel and toffee, vanilla and coffee bean.

Feel and Drinkability: Heavy on the palate with some prickly delicate carbonation. Level of carbonation is low as befits the style, but I like that the carbonaion is prickly, it helps this one. This beer is so big that were the carbonation soft after the first few sips you'd still enjoy the beer, but would be missing out on the subtle intricacies that make this one wonderful. And perhaps they're not even intricacies, perhaps they really are foreground....but this is a big beer and it tends to overwhelm the palate. Prickly carbonation helps to cleanse the palate and get it ready for the next sip, trying to give every sip the same experience as the first. However, this prickleyness doesn't seem to be enough, its still just to big and full, the palate gets overwhelmed...that is my only complaint on this beer, that each sip is less satisfying than the first because it becomes harder and harder to taste the small things and maybe even some of the big things that make this awesome. After a while it comes down to alcohol, burnt and roasted. Its just too damn good. I love this beer, and really wish that I could get another bottle, I'm really happy that I didn't trade this mother away! Too bad I'll prolly never be able to find it again, thats a complaint against drinkabilty, too exclusive and rare...but supply and demand...I guess that makes this bottle even more special. I'll definitely enjoy this brew and be more than happy to finish it...I think I'll drink the rest in about an hour after my palate has had some time to recover so I'll be able to get that initial shock again. Just awesome!

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

A: Pours jet black with no light getting through at all. Rich coffee colored head with a touch of red in it. A little bit of lacing as well

S: Fresh this was a bit much but the bourbon has really calmed down with a little time. It is still quite pronounced but you can actually get something else besides it. Chocolate and a nice sweet roasted nose round things out. A little bit of booze thrown in with some burnt sugar and toffee.

T: Again time did wonders. Just starts off with a nice sweetness and rich bourbon taste. Then right into a nice coffee note. A touch of booze but it is really rounded out by the bourbon swetness. Just keeps getting better as it warmed and I served this at 55 degrees.

M: Just luscious in your mouth. Creamy and smooth. Really nice.

D: Much better and smoother than it was fresh. A very nice example of a style that I think relies too much on the bourbon barrel. I have had this and Dark Matter and I must say Brooklyn knows how to use a barrel.

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%

A HUGE thanks to KeefD for allowing me to share this incredible trade with him. Thanks Buddy.

Poured into a Darkness glass. Huge dark brown wonderful head with incredible small bubble retention. One of the nicest looking dark RIS I have come across. Black as fricking midnight. Light...yeah, what light. There was none. Wonderful lacing stuck to the side of the glass as it was consumed. Smell was very heavy on the bourbon side. Alcohol was also very present. Very nice touch. A wonderful burnt aroma was noticed as the beer was swirled. Taste was of alcohol, bourbon, burnt carmel, molassas, some chocolate, burnt marshmallows....very very nice. Again, the alcohol was very present. I do like most of my RIS to have a thick mouthfeel, something that is going to stick to everything. (Hello Bell's Expedition...probably the thickest RIS there is...at least that I have had.) This is where this beer lacked a little definition. Somewhat thin. Keith and I talked about this. Great taste but just a little too thin for this type of beer. I also gave this beer a lower rating on it being only in a 750 ml bottle. This big of a beer needs to either be shared with someone or to be packaged in a 12 ounce standard bottle. Too much beer for just one person at any given sitting. Overall, a very strong Bourbon Barrel Russian Imperial Stout. Thanks again Keith for sharing this one.

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

A million thanks to knifestyles for this amazing EXTRA!! Very dark brown as it pours, jet black in the glass with a nice creamed coffee colored head that left some light lacing. Aroma of chocolate, roasted malts, a hint of smoke and charcoal, a touch of fruitiness, light coffee, and a nice whiff of alcohol on the tail end. Taste is mostly dark bitter chocolate, backed up by some coffee, a nice roastiness, a touch of bourbon and oak on the finish. The chocolate flavor is much like the chocolate dipped cones from Dairy Queen. YUM. Very nice, extremely well balanced, gets better and more complex as it warms. Creamy mouthfeel, but a tad light. I've still yet to find a mouthfeel that can come close to something like Expedition, but this adequate enough. Alcohol is slightly warming, but I'm finding this pretty easy to drink. An all around exceptional brew and would love to have another bottle of this to age for a year or too. Oh well, I'm happy just to have this one and am very happy to have had the chance to try it. Thanks again, Chris!

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a solid black color with a huge fluffy tan head that stays around forever. Leaves lots of lace all over my glass. Smells of bourbon right off. Chocolate and roast and some vanilla hidden behind that smell o' Kentucky. Brown sugar and caramel in there as well. Taste starts with a bitter roast and chocolate, some higher alcohols and then a bourbon vanilla finish with a lingering alcohol burn. Mouthfeel is creamy, body is thick, carbonation is a little high, but acceptable. Great Bourbon barrel aged Imp Stout. Its a little hot at times. I wish I could afford to see how this one ages, but at 24.99 its one and done.

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

Thanks to jac5084 for splitting this with Ashherb17 and I last night to round out the end of all of our college careers. Quite the long ride. Poured into three unbranded tasting glasses...

A: Pours a nice, thick, sludgy black with a nice dark brown head. I tend to like the darker heads on my Imperial Stouts as I think they have more black patent and roasted malts in them. The head doesn't last long however, but leaves a decent ring of dark mocha bubbles.

S: When this was cold, the smell was incredibly weak and mild. Smell was very, very light bourbon and some dark, bitter chocolate. As the beer warmed more scents of bourbon, bitter chocolate, and bitter roast came out and they were more profound.

T: Again, when this was colder it was very mild and weak. I was not impressed at all. As it warmed up, the bourbon and bitter roast came through and matched some burnt toffee and dry cocoa powder.

M: Very creamy. I was not sure what to expect from the use of champagne yeast, but you couldn't tell. The mouthfeel was nice and creamy.

Overall, this beer was good, but not one of the better Imperial Stouts that I have had. Worth a try though for sure.

3.8/5  rDev -8%

A- Close to pitch black with a nice brown head from the initial pour, but this head fades quickly to a thin layer across the surface of the beer. Some nice lacing is noticeable.

S- Roasted malts with a bourbon aroma being noticeable as well as bittersweet chocolate and coffee with creamer.

T- Bitter sweet chocolate along with lots of oakiness and a bourbony coffee flavor. quite nice.

M- Light carbonation with a silky smooth finish that glides across your tongue.

D- I've only shared a couple of bottles and I'm not sure if I'd be able to drink a whole bottle but I'd be willing to try...

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

Obtained thru a trade with critterbeer.

Appearance- Pours a huge, dark brown head with excellent retention and lacing, beer is coal black and thick.

Smell- Strong whiff of congnac, (yes I realize it's bourbon) roasty malts and yeast.

Taste- Bourbon and wood dominate, dark fruits, coffee and some chocolate. A huge flavor.

Mouthfeel-Big body and smooth carbonation. Chunky as all getout.

Drinkability-High ABV and huge flavor make this a sipper to be had with a fine cigar and shared with a friend. Far too much for me in a single session.

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

Presentation: Poured from a 750ml corked and caged bottle with raised lettering. Back label has a description of this beer, along with a denial of its existence.

Appearance: Pours with 1 1/2 fingers of dark tan head. This settles slowly, leaving behind some lacing. The beer itself is a very dark brown, essentially black. No sediment in the bottle.

Smell: Boozy with hints of lactose sweetness.

Taste: Chocolate with non-bitter coffee. Some vanilla notes in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Lower than average carbonation, as would seem appropriate for the style. Body is a little thin.

Drinkability: Good, but not great. Nice, chocolatey-milk flavor, but I think there are examples out there with less hype and more substance.

Bottle courtesy of Secret Santa: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a super large dark brown foamy head with great retention and great lacing. Aroma of bourbon and sweet malt is interesting though bourbon is more dominating then I had expected. Taste is also dominated by bourbon with some notes of alcohol and very subtle sweet roasted malt. Body is full with somewhat creamy texture with great carbonation and some alcohol is apparent. Good though a bit too much alcohol was apparent for my taste.

3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

One twist of the cork and it was ready to let loose. Fortunately I had it under control and it popped with a very satisfying sound, not unlike champagne. It pours a dark ruby-brown with a cocoa colored head that looks very sticky.

Smells strongly of bourbon booze and vanilla at first. It's so strong that I'm hesitant to take another sniff.

Tastes a lot like it smells but much weaker and adding coconut to the mix. I may have to let this one warm a bit to get all the flavors out. I get the bourbon but it tastes like a cheap one like Jim Beam or less. Disappointing.

Mouthfeel is thinner than I would have expected and the carbonation is a little sharp too. I expected fuller and creamier for this style but perhaps I have to let it age a while for perfect consistency.

Drinkability is helped by the lighter mouthfeel but I'm not half-way through this one and I'm already bored with it.

The flavor is just not there and while this beer may be technically outstanding I think it's the rarity that boosts its profile, not its inherent quality. As with other Brooklyn Brewery products, I've given them a fair trial but they really seem to be missing something that I like. If I knew what it was I would say but this, which is supposed to be among their best, is just alright with me.

That said, I will probably grab another one of these for posterity and will post an update when I pop it.

The lighter body helps the drinkability though

4.5/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: pitch black with nice dark tan head

S: good smell, nothing overbearing a bit of coffee and some roasted malt

T: Kind of the same, a really good balance of long roasted smokiness, coffee, chocolate and a bit of sweet. Bourbon flavor also apparent and just barely shy of too much. good complex balance that I really dig

M: a bit light for a stout, bourbon heat stays with your tongue a bit

D: Damn good stuff that I don't see myself getting sick of

4.7/5  rDev +13.8%

I apologize for my novice approach, however, this is my first beer that I am critiquing on this website.

As you may be able to tell from my grading, I really liked this beer. Maybe this appropriate, maybe not, but here we go:

Simply, this beer went on like a Guiness, and out like Jack Daniels. I have kept the cork on the (25.4 oz) bottle for (as of this moment) hours and it keeps a milk chocolate as fresh as a new cup of swiss miss. The beginnings seemed creamy (like a guinness stout) and the lingering after was just a tid bit sweet... almost corny (thus the bourbon) slightly applish (that is a bit tainted by other alcohol I was drinking throughout the evening... )

expensive, but well worth it, even coming from a proud brooklynite. If you dig either the dark stout side or the bourbon side, I think the price tag is worth it if available to you. I apologize if I'm going )or have gone) gaga, but I'm just so pleased with this one.

cheers.

4.72/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This will be re-reviewed in the future:

Poured from the 22oz. bottle into a tasting glass.

The color is a deep, dark black with a nice brownish head. Nice lacing.

The smell is of roasted malts, some chocolate aroma.

The taste is a bourbon flavor with some nice chocolate and cocoa as well.

This beer is high on the ABV and does have a nice kick to it. It does have a nice full flavor that is not too tough on the palete.

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

Appearance - pours an oily black with a thin, dense mocha cover. It's less than half a finger in thickness but is laying down lace patches in abundance.

Aroma - richly roasted grains with a bittersweet chocolate backdrop.

Taste - dark roasted malts followed by a wave of dark, sweet chocolate. A distinct alcohol and bourbon warmth follows and enhances the malt and chocolate. Gets a little boozy as it approaches room temperature, why don't I mind?? Like drinking chocolate whiskey.

Mouthfeel - smooth and viscous, a low key carbonation lets the big body take off.

Drinkability - I may yet kick that taste up to a 5 if the flavors develop well with some cellaring. The bourbon is bold and hot at times, but not entirely out of place or unenjoyable that way. However, I see potential for this beer to come together on all fronts with some good melding. Stellar.

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours black and completely opaque, with an inch and a half dark brown head. Good retention but no real lacing.

The aroma is excellent. Nice chocolate tones comprise the bulk of the nose. Hints of banana and caramel are also available in addition to a general roasty malt profile.

The taste is quite nice. Big notes of chocolate with a slightly phenolic quality and a touch of banana. It's really quite nice.

Mouthfceel is medium bodied, but seemingly watery, with a very gentle carbonation.

Drinkability is high. For the ABV, it's crazy drinkable. The alcohol is hidden well and the flavor profile is pleasing. A real winner in my book.

pours an oily looking pitch black, with a good sized dark brown head. the thick dark head laces a bit, and sticks around for a good while. a beauty.
in the aroma the first thing i notice is a fair amount of a sweet banana bread. swirl it a bit and some nice roasty coffee come out with bits and pieces of chocolate. the influence of the champagne yeast is present with a dry faintly vinous character. the barrel comes through as well, with a pleasant dry wood aroma, like firewood and vanilla of course. with warmth some maple syrup aromas creep out.
the flavor is a little hard to read at first, the carbonation gets in the way a bit actually. the oak hits first with oaky vanilla washing over all the other flavors. bitter burnt coffee moves in behind cleaning up some of the sweetness. the chocolate is subtle, but there. notes of dark fruits weave in and out. there seems to be some noble hop-like bitterness in there too. with warmth soem sweet tobacco shows itself. there is a pervasive tang to the whole thing, not overwhelming, but present.
the carbonation is quite active, but also very delicate. i would say the body is a touch fuller than medium, but it works in an interesting way. as i saidthe carbonation gets in the way of some of the flavor though.
the drinkability is good. it's a little something different, with a lot going on, and one things for sure the 11% abv is incredibly well hidden.

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

Big thanks to bkrefetz for this awesome bottle of goodness.

Poured from my corked 750ml brown bottle. The bottle itself is very classy looking, I heard they were made in Germany. Anyway, probably one of the better looking bottles I've come across.
The pour produces a billowing fluffy dark brown 2'' head. It sits there receding very slowly. Leaving thin streaking lace trails on its way down. After finally receding there is a modest cap now sitting ontop of the beer.
Black in color, no light penetration.

The aroma on this is filled with many great smells. Some mild alcohol warmth in the nostrils, plenty of rich sweet chocolate, chocolate grains, bourbon and oak, with a bit of vanilla. Some mild nutty coffe aromas in there and hints of buttered toast. Dark fruits, raisins and figs. Ahh this smells good.

The taste up front is laced with plenty of bourbon and oak, as well as a great vanilla kick. Its sweet up front with creamy thick textures and carbonation. The carbonation brings more full body to the beer. While allowing it to finish clean, without an oily or milk fat like coating that can come along with most ris'.
Some warmth into the swallow and heating my throat as it decends. But nothing solvent like or unattractive about it.
Alot of big sweet rich velvety chocolate cake resemblance. Becoming a bit more heated and bitter with chocolate into the swallow. The bourbon comes around into the swallow as well as does the oak, chocolate, vanilla and a bit of fermented molasses. The oak lingers long with plenty of bitter chocolate and a touch of piny hops.

This is quite good. As it warmth alot of the sweetness drops out. This is no chugger, although its drinkability is high, its definatly a sipper. My taste buds were annihilated after the huge oaky bourbon chocolate explosion. The creamy textures and champagne yeasted carbonation is super elite in this brew. Definatly loved it!

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

Very dark brown, pretty much black on the pour. Decent inch of tan head forms on the pour. Smell is slight bourbon, and a good amount of heavily roasted malts. Flavor is initially roasted malts, almost a coffee ground like burnt flavor. Then on the second half you get the bourbon barrel flavors on the finish. Very interesting twist. The bourbon flavors are not dominant, but there's just enough there to remind you that it is there. Amazingly not a whole lot of influence by the high ABV on this one. It's hidden very well. I was initially worried about the repitching with champagne yeast during bottling. Didn't want an overly bubbly, carbonated, barrel aged beer. But again, it wasn't that highly carbonated and had a nice mouthfeel. Well done.

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Served at cellar temp in a 5 oz glass taster.

Pours jet black, forming a moderate head of coarse bubbles that left loads of lacing.

Aroma was chocolate and vanilla in front, with a bit of roastiness.

Flavor was overwhelmingly bourbon whiskey with just hints of beer behind it.

Mouthfeel was surprisingly light for an imperial stout with a dry finish. Drinkability marred by the big bourbon punch. This was terribly overpriced for what you get. A curse of 750 mL bottled beers?

Edit: This beer really needs to age! Above review is for a green beer, 2008 served in early 2009. After a year in the bottle it is simply fantastic! Body filled in, taste got better and bigger. Revised my review from a B- to a high A.

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

First Release.

A - Pours black with a huge brown head. This beer has a lot of carbonation.

S- Not a lot going on here...but the major smell I get out of this is bubble gum and cotton candy. Weird I know, but its there. Theres a hint of bourbon, and a little cocoa wayyyy of in the distance. I'm digging here to list aromas.

T- Lighter in taste than most imperial stouts. The main flavor is bourbon barrel, and I like bourbon barrel as a compliment, but there isn't much else going on. It mixes with some chocolate, then finishes quite dry. Not a bad tasting beer but pretty muted for the style.

M - Medium bodied. High carbonation. Too thin for an Imperial Stout.

D- High drinkability due to mouthfeel.

Overall, I'm glad I was only charged 17-18 bucks for this one (because it's more expensive elsewhere in the country) but it wasn't nearly worth that kind of money. Decent beer, but I personally think this is a major pass considering the price point.

Brooklyn Black OPS from Brooklyn Brewery