Brooklyn Black OPS - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black OPSBrooklyn Black OPS

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Brooklyn Black Ops (2008 commercially available version) was aged for four months in bourbon barrels, bottled flat, and re-fermented in the bottle with Champagne yeast. 940 cases produced.

10.7%-2008
11.6%-2009
11.3%-2010
10.7%-2011
10.5%-2012
11.5%-2013

(Beer added by: RixBeer on 12-20-2007)
4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Got this bottle at common market in charlotte nc.

The pour was dark black with an IMENSE dark mocha head. Very dark body.
Smell is slightly bourbon, chocolate and roasted barley,
Taste similar to smell, more bourbon finish.
Very drinkable for over 10% abv

chaz410, Mar 21, 2009
4.13/5  rDev 0%

Big black bottle poured into a snifter twice over time. Found one of these bottles at Diciccos after visiting Captain Lawrence in NY.

A- Black Ops 08' is black like the name suggests and looks quite thick coming out of the bottle. A steady pour yielded a nice one inch brown mocha colored head that did not mind hanging for a bit. Nice lacing around the glass.

S- A huge whif of bourbon from the barrel with vanilla and not so much on the chocolate surprisingly. Got a lot of burnt roasted malt as well as some faint bitter coffee. These smells increase over time as well as some cocco sneaking in.

T- Bourbon strikes the palette first leaving its mark and some heat as well. Some dark chocolate in here as well which I believe will come out more with some age. Cocco as well. Roasted malts and some coffee. Getting some dark fruit action as well. Oak and vanilla, this is good stuff.

M- You really can't get around the heat but the flavors offset that a bit. Expect the bourbon to stick around for a while after drinking. Black ops is full bodied with an apparent creamy appeal to it. A good amount of carb rounds out the mouth on this.

D- Took me about 3 hours to get through this and loved it, more so with warming. This is a bit young and I guess it's good for the cellar. The chocolate will probably show more in time.

At $25 this was an awesome overpriced RIS that im glad I tried but wont drop the duckets on again. I guess in these tough economic times every brewery needs a product to bring in cash.

BARFLYB, Mar 21, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +18.2%

The beer pours a pitch black color with a thick frothy tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great! It has a really nice oak scent that really compliments the black and chocolate malts. The taste is perfect. It has an exceptionly smooth black and chocolate malt flavor that goes down easy and finishes with a wonderful bourban taste. The mouthfeel is also perfect. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is damn good beer. The best Brooklyn has ever produced IMO. It's complex, yet very easy drinking. Great Job G.O.!

WesWes, Mar 20, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +16.9%

this beer pours a dark black, with a tan head that cascades into a rocky foam leaving sticky lace down the side of the glass. the aroma brings the bourbon right to the nose with a bit of sweet malt to back it up. the taste has a bit of alcohol right up front with a lot of malt character and some astringency from the roasted malts... this is a delicious beer with a lot of character the full body and good carbonation make it a great beer.

almychristopher, Mar 20, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +14.3%

Got this in a trade from my man fogdog. Soooo excited! Poured into a pint glass.

NOTE: I totally agree with jjayjaye below. I really don't understand how this (and Brooklyn Black Chocolate) fit into the RIS category. Both of 'em were American Imperial Stouts if you ask me.

Appearance: Cork popped right out like a bottle of champagne. (I guess that would be the champagne yeast re-fermentation.) Body pours out thick and oily, and once settled is pitch-black. Huge, foamy, dark brown head quickly forms on top. After a minute, the head's color as faded a bit and it has fallen to less than half it's initial height (initial height was about three fingers). A foamy, brown blanket of lace is left on the inner glass walls, but it disappears after a swirl. At the end of the session, I can say that the lacing was decent considering the ABV.

Smell: Whiskey and champagne yeast stand out right away. Damn! Tons of it! Dark chocolate and perfume also exist, but are pretty dull in comparison. Hard to really sift past the strong whiskey and astringent alcohol aromas. Vanilla, molasses, dark chocolate, and bread come out more as the beer warms.

Taste: Ok, that is fucking good! Whiskey presence is more toned down in taste, though there is a strong whiskey-like burn in the finish. Molasses, roasted malt, dark chocolate, vanilla, cocoa powder, sweet fluffy bread, champagne yeast, perfumy hops, mild burnt flavors, and finally whiskey (pretty much in that order). Really, really, complex.

Mouthfeel: Full and pretty milky, though slick. Lots of heat and mouth-numbing in this one. Pretty high amount of carbonation. Some chewiness too. Finishes with a hot, dry, sting that persists long afterward.

Drinkability: This is one unique brew. Doesn't taste like any other RIS out there (that I've tried anyway). I went through the first half of my glass fast, and I'm definitely feeling it. This is a sipper, but I'm not treating it as such. I guess to sum it all up I'll say, "You can go through one of these fast, but you really, really shouldn't." Fucking addictive - there must be crack in it.

ThreeWiseMen, Mar 19, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

Lucky to find a bottle of this at a local bar. Thick blackness in a glass with a nice fluff of brown head which sticks around for a while. This is a complex stout. I love that it has so much going on - barrel aging, champagne yeast, bottle conditioned... nuts. It really contributes to the overall character and depth of the beer. I tend to think a lot of these big stouts tend to fall short and taste too flavored of coffee or chocolate or booze. Not so much this one. The chocolate malt and dark fruits are there, but there is an extra deep leathery taste that brings this beer together. It's long on the palate - take a nice big inhale while drinking to get a wide array of flavors. So so soft. But bold.

twelvsies, Mar 19, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

A positive note - one of the coolest looking bottles out there.

Beer is black, with a very small head. There are notes of raisins and prunes along with some chocolate and vanilla. A slightly winelike qualty. Flavors are similar. Here is the deal - for me, this beer was almost porter-like. Body was week as was the mouthfeel. Not terribly complex. Not at all a bad beer. Am I biased in my review because of the price? I would have to say yes - but I cannot help it. Simply put, the beer comes nowhere close to measuring up to its price tag, nor is it in the same ballpark as other highly rated RISs.

yeastsipper, Mar 18, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Bought 2 of these expensive mofos. I hope to age the other for 2 years.

A- This poured the darkest of any beer I have had to date (besides maybe ten fidy). The super dark black body let in the slightest red highlight when held up to light. The head was awesomely brown.

S- Aroma was of coffee, chocolate, vanilla and whiskey.

T- The alcohol was fairly strong. Hints of sweet vanilla and tasty aged whiskey were great. Bitter Belgian chocolate flavor was also present.

MF/D- The feel was creamy and moderate but slightly thick. This is very drinkable but I suggest you share it. This beer gets more challenging towards the end as the bourbon barrel flavor is quite strong.

I can't wait to see what age does to this.

kbnooshay, Mar 16, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

Remind me one more time...what's the diff between RIS and an American Double Stout? Pours an opaque darkness with better than a two finger stiff dark brown collar that fades slowly to spotty patterns of Belgian lacing, typical of a high ABV beverage. The smell of the residual bottling effort at the neck from beneath the cork and cage is all about the malty and silky smooth chocolate, with tangy and not so subtle hints of alcohol that linger appropriately. The marriage of the mouth and the flavors are truly wonderful. It reminds me a lot of Foothills Sexual Chocolate (monster monk in action). Drinkability...total package "5"..ok...i said it. Have fun with this one!! Highly Recommend.

jjayjaye, Mar 15, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

Thanks to peanutski at the dilly deli market for saving one to buy when I flew down there. If you are in cincinatti, check this place out. I cannot say how nice peanutski is. This dude rocks and the beeradvocate scene is better because of him.

A - Blackish night with a nice tan mocha head on it.

S - Dark chocolate with fruits and rubbing acohol. Literally was making my eyes water because of the hotness to this beer.

M - this was a very nice flavored stout that had the acolhol nose but was not all that hot on the mouth. very surprising.

D - this is a descent brew, but should age tremendously. Luckily I have another one coming so I can sit on it for awhile.

BgThang, Mar 15, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +18.6%

Truly an exceptional beer. Enormous flavors: bitter chocolate, coffee, cream, with a sweetness that is not cloying. I think this is due to the cleaner than expected finish. Perhaps the champagne yeast does this? Whatever, this is a big bruiser of a beer that has layers upon layers. Only the ABV and the price keep me from guzzling it down like so much water.

hopmonkey, Mar 13, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

2009

A: Black/brown body, nice thick bubbly tan head, decent retention before forming a nice skim, decent lacing.

S: Dark chocolates, licorice, bourbon, vanilla, oak, roasted coffee.. delicate.. not overpowering

T: Much like the nose, the flavoring was nice and delicate... in a very, very good way... soft bourbon flavor throughout... delicious dark chocolate and roasted coffee makes up the bulk of the flavor... vanilla and oak accentuate towards the middle

M: Thick, creamy... smooth flavor transitions... clean finish...

D: One of the more drinkable bourbon RISs ... the key for me was the delicate use of the bourbon barrel aging... this didnt feel like it was beer mixed with jack and coke... get your hands on one before its gone

callmemickey, Mar 10, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

I couldn't wait any longer on this one, it kept giving me dirty looks. So after a whopping 3 months saved I popped the cork and poured this viscous black muck into a glass. A dark tan head sat atop the puddle and stayed there for quite a while.
The beer smells of bourbon and oak. Just what I was expecting, if not a little subdued. I can also smell the strong alcohol, I wish it was a bit more hidden.
The beer tastes very good, it starts off with some vanilla notes and continues through the bourbon spectrum until it is finished off with a bit of bitter chocolate. Very smooth well rounded. Again, I could use a little more of the bourbon and oak flavors...maybe a little more time in the barrells or a higher toast?
The mouthfeel is creamy with a good amount of carbonation. The drinkability is also good, I could drink this quite often were it not for the price. Overall, this beer was worth buying but I probably will not be buying it again.

grayburn, Mar 09, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours pitch black with a nice enough brown head. Looks good. Nose is abrasive alcohol tones. Like smelling sticking my nose in booze that is way over 80 proof. Too much IMO. There are minor vanilla tones and bourbon is clearly present, but it's just too prevalent for me. Flavor is nicely thick with malts. There I a bit of a bourbon burn, but there isn't the level of complexity I'd like to be seeing. Or have seen in other bourbon stouts for that matter. Feel is smooth on liquid. Carbonation is okay. A bit too biting. Just a bit.

The verdict on this is: "eh." This was clearly better via the special cask version a lot of us N'yawkas experienced previous to the official release. It seems like the hype was laid out to juice the anticipation of the bottle release, and it looks like it worked. It's a shame you'll probably never get to taste the pre-bottle-release cask version.

RblWthACoz, Mar 09, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

Big thanks to mikesgroove for hooking me up with this.
Your basic black stout, no real edges to be seen, with a thick cap of dense mocha foam. Chunky lacing, great head retention. Roasty, burnt aroma, hints of charcoal, with the sweet caramel notes and light booze of bourbon up front. Chocolate and sour cherry aromas were more restrained, as were the faint hints of higher alcohols and brown sugar. Moderate bitterness overall with a solid sweetness throughout. Caramel and chocolate melded nicely with nuts and roast up front, bourbon and alcohol supported the flavour at the end. Dry, malty texture mid-palate with some oaky astringency in the finish. Pleasant warmth. Lingering toffee and rich maltiness. Full bodied with carbonation a little on the low side, very smooth. Quite good overall. This is a beer that seems like it would age nicely.

DrJay, Mar 08, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

$20+ a bottle ? let's see if this stacks up...

eyes...
monster head, dark cocoa fluff with lots of craggy asteroid surface area, the head settles down pretty quickly to about one finger, lacing is ok, this sucker is pitch black, not much else to say, pretty on par for the style but not outstanding.

nose...
slightly boozy cocoa with hints of vanilla, the wood comes through more than the bourbon for this schnozz, kind of a pruney over tone as well, pretty good, didn't blow me away.

taste etc...
the first sip is bracing... a lot going on there, the alcohol seems a bit hot
I let this sit for 5 min...
much smoother, the bourbon overtones really smooth out the finish, mouthfeel is silky with prickly carbonation, the flavor is somewhere mixed with prune and milk chocolate (sort of strange to me), the alcohol remains hot in the stomach after a glass of this.

verdict ?
I think this needs more age to be put in proper context. Right now it is not thrilling me, and at $20 a bottle... it should.

Ego, Mar 06, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

The beer pours a dark black brown color with a think, milkshake color head. The beer has very good head retention, albeit with not a lot of lacing. Still, this is one impressive looking beer. On the nose, I get sweet coffee and milk chocolate, and really not much else. However, I have to say the aroma in this beer is just huge. On the other hand, there is a cornucoppia of different flavors on the palate, which include more chocolate and coffee, but also cantaloupe, bubble gum and vanilla. This beer is not particularly hoppy, but somehow it still manages to finish fairly dry, despite an intitial medium sweet flavor. Mouthfeel is pretty good, though the finish is a bit thinner then I was expecting for such a big beer. It just doesn't seem to have that ultra rich, plush, soft as silk mouthfeel you get in some of the better RIS's. In any event, drinkability is pretty good, especially considering the abv.

This is a very nice stout from Brooklyn Brewing.

John_M, Mar 04, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -9.7%

Second in a five beer tasting at Mauerhan's. This one offered up by the man of the house himself. I love getting an invitation here.

So let's look here at another big stout that has debuted high in the Beer Advocate rankings.

I smells the dark fruit. Raisins. I smell lots of raisins. Light alcohol. Prunes.

Taste smoky. Dries the mouth. Boozy. Bourbon. The bourbon and booze actually get in the way of the other flavors here. Powdery chocolate; very dry.

As with the Voodoo Daddy before it, a solid brew but not mind boggling by far. I mean, if you've ever had The Abyss, then you know what the best of the best is. The rating system kinda angers me now and again (if I'm allowed to say that).

I would drink it again, but I won't chase it. Very happy to give'er a shot.

Overall: solid big ass beer

PatronWizard, Mar 03, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

Final beer of our blind tasting last week. I picked this up awhile back knowing it needed to be shared, and I couldn't think of a better occasion. One of our non-BA friends in attendance is a huge bourbon enthusiast, so I knew he'd love this one.

Appearance: Midnight black, thick and viscous. Thick 3 finger dark tan head leaves behind huge lacing and retains incredibly well (thanks, champagne yeast).

Smell: So delicious! I love bourbon-barrel aged beers, so I look forward to the huge bourbon essence in the scent. Slight chocolate and coffee creep through.

Taste/Mouthfeel: MMM...so good! Very thick, rich, smooth mouthfeel spreads the taste throughout the palate thanks to the great carbonation. I was really interested to see how the champagne yeast would factor into this beer, and I'm pleasantly impressed. Bourbon dominates the taste, even more so as the beer warms. Slight notes of burnt coffee, dark, chewy fruit, bitter orange rind and chocolate come through intermittently.

Drinkability: I will drink more than I should because it is delicious. That about says it. My written review states only "ooo."

Well worth the $20 and wait. Will definitely buy again next year.

kels, Mar 02, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

A: Jet black with a healthy mocha head. The head has some serious staying power.

S: Seems far less boozy next to Black Magick but still has a bunch of booze in it.

T: Much smoother than the cask was. It still has good bourbon character but this has a good amount of chocolate also.

M: Very smooth for a bourboned beer, especially with this much.

D: Makes the cask beer seem bad.

drseamus, Mar 02, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

Thanks to JoeCeez!

Pours a dark black, with a gigantic dollop of brown foam. Edging and sloshing reveals some foamy dark brown notes. Gorgeous beer.

Smells like roasted coffee, chocolate, a hint of bourbon and vanilla. Taste is robust and explosive. The bourbon really shines through, adding vanilla to a nice bitter coffee and milk chocolate blend, but with a sweet rounding off of dark fruits (kind of plum-my), and a wonderful biting espresso aftertaste with ... my word ... is that hops?

A very good brew. Pretty drinkable despite the fact it's pretty boozy.

If there is a downside, it's the mouthfeel. While decently thick, this is not a superlative motor oil consistency that you'd get from a few other stouts out there.

Overlord, Mar 01, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

served just below cellar temp with a full pour into a chalice

A - Easily one of the most enticingly attractive beers I've seen for a while. Pours with a nice frothing rising head over a used motor oil thick body. Momentarily the line between beer and head blend as black rises to dark tan bubbles. Full fluffy froth eventually compacts down to a half inch of dense dark foam, then stringing impressive sticky lace around the glass with wispy film left covering the surface of the beer.

N - A really pleasant aroma previews the flavors to come, but here lies the onset of my conflicted response to this beer. Rich ripe grain and dark fruit are underpinned by excessive bourbon notes resounding with strong cedar spice, vanilla softness, and boozy alcohol. Doesn't smell as fumy as it is simply bourbon-based liquor in aroma. Again, very enticing, though somewhat strong on bourbon. That said, I haven't had a well-done bourbon aged beer in a while, with many being weak in character, or on the converse side, too overpoweringly boozy to enjoy the beer itself. Perhaps this one will find a nice balance.

T/F - Given the thick pour and intimidation factor, the taste of Black Ops is much less daunting as might have been anticipated, rendering it more highly drinkable than expected. Again, I am conflicted over the strength of the bourbon, which while pleasant also negates some of the nuance of what appears to be a nicely crafted stout. Plenty of alcohol in heat and spice aerate the bourbon and chocolate notes into an interestingly balanced brew. Rather than dominant oak, which is certainly present, I'm getting a lot of cedar notes adding to the spicy dry woody character of the beer. I'm sure there are hints of deep dark fruits and plenty of rich roasted malt, but they don't do much to stand out against the bourbon and wood. Finishes smooth, then dry, with a pipe tobacco lingering flavor washing into mildly sweet stout flavors. As for taste, I'm finding the bourbon to be a highlight and not a detractor from the overall flavor. As for feel, I'm very impressed that a beer this seemingly thick can drink so mildly and nearly light in overall palate, yet with such resounding depth and character. Thank you champaign yeast.

D - I'm admittedly going to finish this bottle alone, with the single negating factor being sheer alcohol content. This beer reminds me of the concept of a multivitamin - hear me out... with incredible strength, depth, and density, all compacted into one seemingly unimposing and deceivingly benign sip. Simply, for a beer this large to drink in flavor and feel so easily is rather impressive. It ought not to be so drinkable, and I'll score it as such, but be warned.

lightindarkness, Feb 28, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -7.3%

The fourth and final beer of a blind taste test, the most unique beer of the bunch was easily saved for last (thanks, Kels!). Wow. What can I say? It looks like beer, but I've gotta say that it honestly did not taste like it.

Appearance: Black, thick and viscous. A nice one finger head is present and it's a nice tan -- disappears into a thin lacing and slight ring around the top after a bit.

Smell: A little smokey, and you can smell the alcohol just permiating from this monster. It smells smooth - clearly the bourbon barrel aging coming through with a smoothness being worked into this.

Taste: Strong presence of alcohol - very dominant, and the bourbon is sooo very strong as well. Like I said in the intro, it didn't even seem like I was drinking beer, but some strange hybrid concoction. I actually lost the beer in this and had a hard determining if I was even going to review this beer - but I thought that I've gotta give it a shot...

Mouthfeel: Dry, very very dry. High alcohol adds some burn to the palate as well. High carbonation adds to the attribute as well - interesting work with the champagne hops.

Drinkability: This got a low score for me because of the high ABV and the fact that I felt I was lost trying to drink it. Too much of the bourbon and not enough of the beer for me to want to make this something that I go back for, but then again, the 20 bucks that was paid for it would probably also be enough to help ensure that as well...

bamadog, Feb 28, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

a massive shout out goes to my good buddy jason (jwale73) for sending this little beauty on a cross country trip. cracked this open with the very muscular olieipa, the very short aimstatus and the very gassy patronwizard. god ISO butt plug FT anything you want.

pours pitch black, no light. Creamy one finger head. Awesome lacing. Lasting film.

vanilla, bourbon, subtle powdery chocolate. Nice smell. bottle says coffee. i dont get coffee. just chocolate, and i am more than ok with that.

Taste is NICE. Very smooth. Chocolate. Sweet malt. This is a very tasty beer. subtle vanilla oak characters come out when it warms and take you for a ride.

Smoooth. Medium bodied. Nice mild carbonation. velvety. awesome.

I would drink this any day. Again and again. Yummy. sad to see it go. so now i guess i start the search for another couple of bottles.

Mauerhan, Feb 26, 2009

Thank you Mauerhan!

A: A big and black stout...a thing of beauty. Head wasn't as big and frothy as I was expecting, even after an aggressive swirl. Lacing seemed to last for about a minute or two.

S: "Bourbon overload!"...quote from Pehlman; some dark malts...thats it.

T: The dark malts weren't as powerful as I was expecting, but you could definitely pick up the chocolate notes. On the other hand, the bourbon and alcohol were very apparent and may have mask the coffee and chocolate malts a little too much.

M: Full-body with good carbonation, but nothing to write home about. Sorry Mauerhan, had to steal one of your lines.

D: I was very impressed from this beer, but the alcohol could have been hidden a little better.

Overall: Before taking a sip of this beer, I was thinking that I was going to have this thick and chocolate-like bomb. To say the least, I was a little surprised...but in a good way. This was a nice twist on this style and could have easily down the whole bottle. A try it beer. Cheers!

OlieIPA, Feb 26, 2009