Brooklyn Black OPS - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: RixBeer on 12-20-2007

Brooklyn Black Ops (2008 commercially available version) was aged for four months in bourbon barrels, bottled flat, and re-fermented in the bottle with Champagne yeast. 940 cases produced.

2014 Batch is 11.6% ABV

4.95/5  rDev +19.9%

first Brooklyn beer for me. Outstanding

4.5/5  rDev +9%

2.98/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured a dark inky black with about a finger of foamy khaki head off of an aggressive pour. Solid looking beer in the glass. Nose on this was strange... Super super bourbon forward with very subtle hints of vanilla and oak, maybe a touch of chocolate. The worst part about this nose for me is if you let the beer sit in the glass for a few minutes. The beer actually takes on an aroma of stale bud light left out overnight. But moving on... Mouth feel was average at best. On the thinner side especially for a BBA stout. Taste was bourbon. That's about it. Bourbon. Pretty much covered up any other notes present in this beer. I've got another bottle of this stuff I'll be aging for a couple years but I do not have high hopes. We fan only hope time helps the bourbon mellow to a reasonable level. Really saddened by this one, especially for the price point :(

3.06/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

LOOK (4.0) - Really billowy, thick khaki head that stuck around for a while, but then it dissipated absolutely entirely and left not a leg of lacing. Very dark black beer, but the body let a little light in, leaving some brown around the edges.

SMELL (4.0) - Smells dark, roasty and sweet with big, soft bourbon and vanilla notes. Smells nice, but rather than the more pleasant chocolate and/or coffee notes you might typically find in the huge malt profile of an american imperial stout, it's a bit acrid and slightly sour to my palate. Some interesting dark fruitiness in here, in the form of very subtle raspberry or black currant.

TASTE (2.75) - Holy bourbon bomb, Batman. WAY too bourbon forward and the barrel is in-your-face as well. Each swig literally tasted, to me, like a shot of scotch. Whiskey and burnt wood. This flavor was so intense that I couldn't pick up ANY typical stout flavors here, except maybe too much black patent malt for my taste.

FEEL (2.75) - Too thin, and none of your typical stout creaminess. It's big, and bold, overly so in my opinion, but the bottle-conditioning doesn't lend it enough carbonation. After the initial head dissipates, there's nothing left. Average, perhaps below average to style, but nothing more.

OVERALL (2.75) - I have never drain-poured a beer before. I drain-poured this one. I tried letting it warm, but it just didn't get any better. I got halfway through maybe a 6oz portion and I had to pour out the rest of the glass. The rest of the bottle is still sitting in my refrigerator and I'm wishing that I'd never opened it, because it could have used about two or more years of age. It wasn't the worst beer ever, for sure, but I wanted something tasty that night, and this was not it. It could definitely have developed a lot more in the bottle over time, but as my first experience with this stout I can't understand how it's so highly rated. Straight up BCS is way better than this and is more than four times cheaper (per ounce).

4.51/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

4.23/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Cheers to jonnybeers for sharing this 2011 bottle! Can't believe I haven't tried this! Amazing mouthfeel, medium-full body and smooooth fine carbonation.

4.51/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

3.94/5  rDev -4.6%

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

3.86/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The beer pours a completely opaque black with a thick and long lasting coffee colored head. Nice scent of vanilla, molasses and chocolate. Faint whiff of fruity alcohol driven esters.

First taste I immediately pick up on a background flavor that is hard to place. Up front there is a nice roasted chocolate and coffee flavor. Nice vanilla tones and warming alcohol. The background flavor has a woody herbal tone. Difficult to pin down, but seems to be driven by the yeast and barrel aging.

The mouthfeel is a bit thinner than I expect from a big stout. This is likely influenced by the strong level of carbonation, which feels a little out of place. Overall very enjoyable, but in some ways it feels that all the pieces don't come together cohesively.

4.26/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.31/5  rDev +4.4%

4.01/5  rDev -2.9%

I picked up a bottle of Brooklyn's Black OPS a couple weeks ago for $20.99 at The Lager Mill. Well it's New Years Eve and since I don't partake in champagne any more I thought I would try a beer with champagne yeast in it, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 750ml bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks good, it's got a clean and classy look to it and I think it's eye catching. It poured a nice black color that didn't let any light come through and it had two and half fingers worth of very creamy brown head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left just a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, but I wish it left a little more lacing behind.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with the bourbon barrels being the first to show up and they impart a nice bourbon like aroma with a little bit of oak and vanilla coming through in the background. Up next comes lots of sweet malts that lead into some dark roasted malts with some nice chocolate and slight coffee aromas coming through, Towards the end comes a fruity aroma that's similar to dark fruits with some cherry aromas showing up. This beer had a good aroma, the barrel showed up nicely and it had some good complexity to it.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but it's a little lighter and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the bourbon barrels still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects and they are a little more balanced this time, but it's still the bourbon that sticks out the most. Up next comes a little bit of alcohol that goes right into the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but it's not as sweet this time and the chocolate comes through just a little more. On the finish there's a little warming alcohol with pretty much not bitterness and it had a bourbon barrel and roasted malt like aftertaste. This was a good tasting beer, it had good balance, no aspect was too overpowering.

M- Smooth, slightly warming crisp, slightly sticky, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was good, I thought the Champagne yeast worked nicely with it.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and good example of the style, it had pretty much everything that i expect from the style with more barrel aspect than I expected and I thought the champagne yeast made it pretty unique for the style. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, slightly warming, crisp, slightly sticky, not to filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, with how smooth it drinks I wouldn't rule out drinking the whole bottle and it's just smoother than I expected. What I like the most about this beer was how well the champagne yeast worked with it and the balance, to me those were the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the price, it's pretty damn expensive. I might buy this beer again, but because of the price it would be for special occasions only. I would recommend this if you want a unique barrel aged Imperial Stout. All in all I was happy with this beer and I was impressed with how well the champagne yeast worked with it, I just enjoyed how unique it was. So far it's one of the better beers I've had from this brewery and while it's not my favorite of the style it's for sure on the unique side. Good job guys, this was tasty and unique barrel aged Imperial Stout, keep up the hard work.

4.16/5  rDev +0.7%

Body of a stout, texture of a wine, taste of bourbon

3.83/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.91/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

4.21/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2013 bottle into a Pipeworks snifter.

Looks good in the glass, not a large head but it stayed on the surface the whole time. Aroma is boozy, a little yeasty. Got a little bit of a banana kind of smell, like a hefeweizen, early on. Very flavorful, still pretty boozy. The champagne yeast certainly impacts the taste in a positive manner, kind of makes it refreshing. Not getting much chocolate or coffee, though. Nice body, full and actually kind of refreshing for an Imperial stout.

This is a really good beer, different than the standard. Price ($20) was a little high.

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.53/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2014 Blend #4
11.6% abv
Thin 1/4" head typical of high ABV barrel aged brews.
Nose: licorice, cherry, light ethanol
Flavor: roasted coffee, oak, sweet caramel, lingering slightly dry finish.
Good beer, I think the higher ABV adds too much "sweetness" to the flavor", might be amazing in the 8-9% range.
Cheers to another great local beer!

4.14/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Brooklyn Black OPS from Brooklyn Brewery