Extra Brune - Brooklyn Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Billolick on 02-09-2008)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by triplecoil:
3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

Poured from a growler filled at Halftime.

Appearance is an orangish amber with almost no head. Nose is lots of candi sugar and yeast. Taste is more of the same...belgian yeast, without a doubt, and a TON of candi--which means is super sweet. Mouthfeel is pretty highly carbonated, but has a crisp finish. Yeast sticks around for a while.

Not horrible, but definitely not great. This isn' offensive, but the candi is way over the top.

triplecoil, Mar 15, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -20.8%

On tap at Tyler's Taproom in Carrboro,poured into a standard pint glass a kind of murky amber/brown with almost no head at all to speak of,it had a flat look to it.Aromas had a slight mustiness to it along with a hefty dose of phenolic yeast character,flavors are a little to much on the musty side for me,it overpowered the dark fruit flavors,there was also a little phenolic clove and spice in the finish.Not my kinda brew here it was just to one dimensional in its musty and phenolic profile,for some its great for me not so much.

oberon, Jul 13, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

I had this brew on-tap at the newly opened Tyler's Taproom in Apex, NC.

A: This was served to me very quickly after ordering in a Brooklyn snifter. Dark brown, translucent, with a very nice looking creamy light brown uneven head. The head had excellent retention and there was very good lacing through the experience.

S: Smells like a Belgian double with hints of dark fruit & banana with just the slightest bit of hops. You get the impression that this is going to taste sweet.

T&M: Nice full mouthfeel with plenty of moderately sweet malts. The banana that was apparent in the nose comes through in the flavor as well, combining with something that reminds me of brown sugar and dark fruit, like dates. Everything comes together very smoothly with a nice creamy texture from the fine carbonation. Finish is that same banana bread taste up front but actually goes a little dry in the linger.

D: Honestly, the more I drank this, the more it grew on me. It was complex, flavorful and full bodied without being overwhelming or overbearing. Very nice!

SIRIUS2, Jun 15, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

On tap in several locations the past few weeks, pours a fairly dull shade of medium brown, uneventful darker head and leaving minimal lacing, lower carbonation. Nose of rich malts, raisins and ripe figs. Pleasant brown, more raisins, and ripe fruits, slight sourness picked up adding to complexity and interest. Subtle, complex and intriguing offering. Fine sessioner, and for lovers of a well crafted old school style brew

Billolick, Feb 09, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

On-tap at Al's Whiskey and Wine, served in a pint glass.

Can't say I'm wild about this one. I just don't get much out of this beer. It comes off thin and sweet with a grassy/herbal hop finish. It tastes like a very sweet brown ale, with sugar adjunct (maybe Belgian candi syrup) used. There wasn't any sour tang or anything like that. I've used this word a couple times already, but this was just a sweet brown ale with a hint of Belgian spice and hops.

tempest, Apr 13, 2008

From notes. Entiely new recipe from the last batch that was brewed in '04. Was tapped in my basement back in early spring. Poured a slightly coudy, light brown into my Brooklyn Brewey snifter. Nice head retention and lacing. Classic dark fruit flavors of plums and raisins mixed nicely with spiciness of the yeast. I'm picking up some banana and clove flavors as well. Good carbonation for the style. Easy drinking for an 8.5% beer.

BeerFan, Jul 22, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

Served on-tap at the Ginger Man in Norwalk, Ct.

A: The ale has a great amber look, dark brown without any hint of imperfection. The translucence of the ale is interrupted by the steady carbonation stream. That carbonation created a nice head up front, but the carbonation did not last.

S: The nose is candi sugar sweet, much closer to a dubbel than an oud bruin. That was the first of my confusions during the night.

T: The taste really matches that of a dubbel, lots of sweetness with a dry yeast finish. The clarity of the ale is the only thing that prevents me from defaulting to dubbel in all stages of my review. There is no tartness or underlying sourness, the flavor that pokes through is at once sweet and dry. Oud bruin? I don't think so...

M: The mouthfeel is robust, strong on yeast and sweeter flavors. Again, I'm not sold on the oud bruin nature but I really like sippin' on it.

D: The alcohol is nowhere to be found, a nice touch that many beers could use. The flavor profile is big enough to fit within the Belgian relam of styles, even if I can't pin it down exactly.

akorsak, Mar 14, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -18.2%

Thanks to gwong for picking up the growler.

A: Light brown with some orange highlights. Thick, off-white head that disappeared quickly.

S: Malt and sweetness with maybe a touch of leather.

T: A little too sweet. Seems off balance towards the sweetness with little hop presence.

M: Creamy and sticks to the mouth for awhile.

D: The sweetness is just too much for me to drink a lot of this. I think it would be different if I had enjoyed it with some basic good. (gwong suggested a burger and fries and that sounds about right.)

Sigurd, Mar 15, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -11.9%

Finally got to make my way upstairs to Barleys last night and try the Extra Bruin while it was still on tap. It has been here a few weeks at least, I just never got the chance to pick one up. The pour was rather nice, with a somewhat hazy orange tinted, reddish brown sort of color to it. Hard to describe but it was almost as if it was a candy like color. A nice two finger head of white foam formed on the top, and gradually settled into a crown that lapped up against the sides, but unfortunately did not offer and side glass contribution.

The aroma was very sweet, lots of candied sugar right off the top. Infact it took a little while to dig down through this to find some slight notes of sour yeast, they were there, but very faint. Lots of bready malts being picked up as well, and some light fruit notes. The flavor carried all of this off rather well. There was a big surge of candied sugar right up front, but as this passed some nice notes of banana, apple, and pears could be picked up. Some light sour notes in the finish, but nothing remarkable. Tons of bready malts in here, with a little under balanced amount of sweetness. This was definitely way too sweet for the style. Nice medium body was not overly carbonated, and infact aft a little while became a touch syrup like. Not sure what the alcohol is in this one, however there was defiantly a little in it, as after a couple I started to feel it pretty good.

Overall, this was not bad, as I did manage to have a couple, but it was really not, what I was expecting. I was hoping for it to be a little more sour then it was, but never the less, it was still pretty good. Not sure I would get it again, needs to be a little less sweet overall.

mikesgroove, Apr 13, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

a: Comes in a sweet Brooklyn snifter with a big white head. Recession is slow, nice retention. The beer is a nice amber-brown in color.

s: rich Belgian aroma...delicately toasted sugary malts, papery hops, doughy yeasts. Sweet, ripe banana bread. A load of rich, sugary fruits and light brown sugar.

m: medium carbonation with a medium-full body

t: Like the aroma, the flavor is very reminiscent of a nice, sugary dubbel. Rich Belgian amber malts with a yeasty complexity. Finishes with a light bitterness, just a touch of sour, and some toast. Big sweetness and notes of rich, concentrated fruits. The higher marks for taste may be a result of my limited exposure to the style (originally gave a 4).

d: very enjoyable...though on the sweet side and lacking the level of sour I expect in the style from my only previous encounter (NG Unplugged Sour Brown).

Tyler's Taproom, Durham

blackie, Mar 03, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

A: It's very red with a bit of haziness and brown highlights. There's a medium level of carbonation.
S: The aroma is both sour and fruity.
T: I was expecting lots of sourness in the taste after the smell but it's rather sweet with some sourness and spices mixed in with the flavors. The taste is well-balanced.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and a bit dry.
D: This was relatively easy to drink and the alcohol was well masked. I would definitely drink more of this if I could find it!

metter98, Apr 16, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured a deep copper hue with a slight whispy cap.

The smell featured strong elements of pear and apple with some estery yeast.

The taste consisted of a fruity sweet pear, white grapes and a spicy yeast.

The mouthfeel was full and moderately chewy.

Overall a great example of the style.

plaid75, Feb 16, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

Had this beer on tap at BoBBiQue. It poured a very deep brown with little head. Lovely mlaty, earthy aroma with hints of oak and vanilla.

The taste had a hint of bubblegum, along with a very big malt profile. Not much bitterness here. Finish was very dry, but it went down smooth. Overall this is an interesting style, and on par with other Brooklyn beers. Quality brew.

BBM, Feb 21, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

Saturday, February 16, 2008 -

Had this on-tap at Cloverleaf Tavern in Caldwell... pours a deep, dark, mahogany brown with obvious froth and a sturdy head... smell was replete with dark, brown sugars, plums, dehydrated fruits... taste, along with the smell, were very alcoholic... although I'm not sure what the ABV is, I would assume that it was up there judging from the noticeable alcohol in the taste... The flavor was very thick, rich, and strong, with figs, caramel, dark sugars, currants, and raisins... good, creamy, thick mouthfeel, with a good drinkability that took a slight hit due to the apparent alcohol essence that lingered in the mouth... Very different from usual Brooklyn brews... worth a try...

dsa7783, Feb 16, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Light brown to auburn in color with a nice soft and bubbly looking head.

S: Strong fruity esters are present. Strongly banana, with a clove spicyness. Phenol presence is notable.

T: Yummy spicy banana. Mellow malt backbone that is distinct but pleasantly compliments the strong ester presence. There might be other fruit in here but all I taste is banana Runts (thats right the candy, as I figure the flavor for this is the pure banana ester and this yeast obviously produces just that).

M: Relatively light and crisp with sharper carbonation on tap but still pleasant with mild cloyingness.

D: Yummy, interesting, intense beer. Its delicious and goes down well, but how much banana can one really handle. Despite that I could have several of these, no problem.

Notes: Wonderful and interesting beer, a unique contribution to the winter selection from Brooklyn.

BeerLover729, Feb 13, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -6.8%

A: Pours an amber/copper body with a small, white head with low retention and minimal lacing along the sides of the glass.

S: A strong, banana ester smell, not allowing much else to come through.

T: A slightly banana ester taste that reminded me of the banana "Runt" candies. Smoothes out after a few sips, but evident until the finish. The banana esters become a bit too overbearing later and take away from the beer a little bit.

M: A nice, smooth, full-bodied mouthfeel that was very nice on the palette.

D: Nice, smooth and full-bodied mouthfeel made it a good brew overall. The overwhelming banana taste, I felt, took away from the beer later, but I think it is still a good session beer.

maddogruss, Apr 17, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -20.3%

Thanks to gwong for this.

A- Poured from a growler into a Perfect Pint glass. Pours a medium brown with a light thin head.

S- CANDI SUGAR! There is a strong tangy candi sugar nose. I think this mixes with the yeast to a distinctive Belgian nose.

T- CANDI SUGAR!! Sorry to be repetitive. There is a strong belgian taste to this. A very strong candi sugar that reminds me of a sharp nutty cheddar cheese. Not my favorite.

M- Somewhat thick and creamy. Good higher carbonation for a Belgian.

D- This has too much candi sugar. I have to say normally I love Brooklyn beer but this is a bit of a letdown.

Mudpuppet, Mar 15, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Once again Mr Oliver brews a tasty. This beer pours a deep ruby tones, with slight cloudiness and minimal carbonation. Modesest head that head the glass nicely.

The bouquet was sweet with hints of banana, exotic fruit and a pinch of hops. The taste retained the banana as a main sweet component, but rich and slightly spicey malt joined in, with an interesting balance of clove, brown sugar and chocolate. Nice and complex, a drinkin' man's beer.

The malt added a fullness to the body and gave the beer quite a presence in the ol' pie hole. All and all, a nice drinkin' brune that doesn't fill, just warms. Gonna have another this week!

garcia2a, Apr 24, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +22.8%

Let me start by saying I am a beer drinker who goes for variety... while some will just order the same beer over and over during the course of an evening, I always want to try something different. So, ordering a second round of any beer for me means the beer was so good that anything else on-tap that evening would just be sub-par, so why not stick with the best?

A rare occasion for me indeed, but that was the case this evening when I tried Extra Brune for the first time, and just had to have a second pint. When the first pint arrived at the table, I have to admit I was a little surprised. Not much head to speak of, a much lighter color than I expected... a coppery mahogany, not quite as deep brown as I would think. But the aroma instantly won me over... a spicy, tangy aroma with hints of banana and raisin.

Ready to taste now... this beer far from subtle, challenging your taste buds right away. The initial flavors on my tongue are filled with richness and complexity... sweet and tangy and tart all at the same time, like a bing cherry. Flavors of lighter dried fruit... golden raisins, apricots and bing cherries followed immediately by the flavors of spice... cloves, nutmeg, even a hint of cocoa powder. There is a chewiness here... a grainy grape-nut quality that comes through somewhere in all the layers of flavor. I keep digging for comparisons and adjectives, but nothing seems to quite do justice in summing up the absolutely enjoyable deliciousness of this brew.

My only issues with my first pint were that the carbonation was a bit high, and the beer served a little too cold. My advice is to just let this one sit a couple of minutes... if you can hold yourself back from the temptation... to allow the bubbles to subside and the beer to temper slightly. It just keeps getting more enjoyable the more I drink.

And Garrett, if you are reading this, I highly suggest you make this your next bottle-conditioned offering after Local One. I'll take a case... really... this from a guy who would rather buy a mix-pack than a six-pack.

apintofknowledge, Feb 16, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

The afternoon after a huge beer event is more my speed, most beers still available w/o the pandemonium.

A- pours perfectly clear the color of a slightly worn penny. I see 2 lonely & lazy streamers. Just a thin white skimming on top. Maybe the day after is not the best bet.

S- I get some apple cider maybe transitiong to vinegar notes with some earthy woody notes.

T- Apple & cherry vinegar notes dominate with subtle raisin caramel notes burried in there. Lingering sour, almost mustard like notes, but not super sour. Light wood notes, like a muted cedar.

M- for the ABV, I can't believe how light/ thin this is. Sharp crisp prickly carb that plays nice with the sour notes.

D- Ive never seen this offered before and imagine it will be a long time, if ever, before I see this again. Always excited to tegu something new, something local, something in the middle of the work day (off work of course ), something at the open window of a not crowded Blind Tiger on a beautiful spring day. With that being said, I'll probably try something different for my next beer, but very satisfied with this beer.

m1ked, Apr 15, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

had this at The Shepherd and the Knucklehead on a Brooklyn Brewery promotion night.
poured a nice dark amber color, with a tan head and good lacing. tasted sweet and malty and the alcohol was well hidden. very light on the palate with good carbonation and a smooth drinkability.

Paul68, Mar 07, 2008
3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

On tap at Underground Bluz into a tulip glass.

A- Dark amber with some ruby hues. Tan head with light lacing.

S- Doughy malt initially, a little banana and clove, a tad of bourbon.

T- Immediately I taste sour dough, along with some sweet malt, banana and some spices. I picked up some faint bourbon that matched the smell. As the beer warmed this flavor became more prominent.

M- Medium body, rich and slightly creamy. Left the mouth a little sticky afterwards. Moderate carbonation.

D- Pretty tasty and complex, but it grew old with me towards the end of the brew and I was ready to move on. Still worth trying.

ScottUCF84, Mar 30, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

I had two glasses of this last night at Matchless in Brooklyn... Unfortunately they served me the beer in a pint glass... unfortunate because I didn't realize how strong this beer was until it knocked me on my ass.

Poured a golden brown, with a modest head. Left minimal lacing.
Nose was of clove, banana, and some raisins. The taste was loaded with banana and spice, at times almost a little to banana-y, it teetered on the ledge there but always regained it's balance before falling off the "too banana-y" cliff. Fairly light bodied beer with good carbonation. I liked this beer enough to have two...but I that said I don't know if I'll have another glass before it goes off tap to make way for the next round of "Brewmasters Reserve", and buyer beware the alcohol really sneaks up on you in this one.

DaggerEyes, Feb 15, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a clear ruby hued brown. Nose is yeasty, doughy, spicey, and funky. Very full and fairly complex. Flavor has an interesting zing to it (which grows a bit tiresome towards the end). Very perfume like with a strong floral candy tone. Odd sugar sweetness lingers as an aftertaste. Feel is smooth on liquid with a lower but smooth carbonation. Very nice production, but the flavor was a bit too pungent for me. I could have dealt with just a half pint only.

RblWthACoz, Feb 26, 2008

Sample on tap at Rustico
Reviewed as a dubbel, or Belgian strong dark ale as it is.
Pours a medium cloudy, mid caramel color with a fluffy yet dense quarter inch, off-white head. Aromas are pretty standard for a American interpretation of the style: some wheat, muted esters, spice and clove. (I made the mistake of trying my girlfriend's Weihenstephaner Dunkel during this tasting which is bursting with clove). On the palate, it starts out with a very bright lemon note, moving to a deep caramel flavor and finishes quite roasty for style. As the beer warms temperature wise, I notice the abv is quite warming and some raisin notes come through as well. In the mouth it has medium carbonation with slight slickness, appropriate for style. Overall, I would call it enjoyable, but average for an American Belgian.

dreadnatty08, Feb 18, 2008