Brooklyn Dark Matter - Brooklyn Brewery

Beer added by: waltonc on 11-06-2008

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

Bottle into snifter.

Pours a cloudy brown, bordering on a deep purple on the edges, with a fizzy off-white head that settles down into a thin, creamy coating of foam.

Nose is vanilla, bourbon, brown sugar, a bit nutty, dark fruits.

Taste begins with a bit of spicy brown sugar up front, hints of ripe dark fruit as well, with the bourbon really coming on towards the finish. Finish itself is long and rich, exhales of bourbon, with just a hint of charred oak in the tail end.

Mouthfeel is soft and creamy, with just the softest, crisp edge to it up front, quite dry throughout. Medium to medium light body, creamy.

Beautifully done beer - bourbon is presence in just the right amount, you get the full flavor without overwhelming the beer itself. One of the most drinkable barrel aged beers I've experienced. Very unique. (830 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle shared by Eyedrinkale on 12/5/08, reviewed from notes once I got back to my hotel room that night, had two full pours into my taster glass, thanks again Mike for bringing this gem out from New York, I had really been wanting to try this and I am glad I gave my palate some rest after the fest, so I could truly enjoy it too, color was a cloudy brown, head was thin and creamy, less than a half inch with decent retention, smell was whiskey from those Woodford Reserve barrels, roasted nuts, light sugar, toast, dried fruits, light spice, and soothing vanilla, taste was much the same with bourbon showing up more in the aftertaste than anywhere else, pretty malty otherwise with some mild sweet and spicy characteristics, liked how the flavor was subtle and not popping out at you with booze, that happens a lot of the time with these lower alcohol beers that sit in old liquor barrels, mouthfeel was a little thin, liked the sensations though, carbonation seemed right, nice lingering finish, could have drank the whole bottle, very inviting and light for what it is, seems even less than six percent for how easy it drinks, overall it is a great beer that does not blow you away immediately but it is just consistent when you go back for each sip, probably why there is not too much hype on it, not overdone on the bourbon, smooth and inviting like a barrel aged brew should be, pretty expensive at twenty-five dollars a bottle when it has been available at special events but I would pay that no problem, I hope I get to have this again someday, certainly recommended (1,584 characters)

I had some of this from a growler that Garrett brought to an MBAA meeting at The Gutter, but I'm guessing that goes to "on tap" as it probably came right out of a bright tank!

It's "Brooklyn Brown" aged in oak (I think Bourbon barrels), set aside in the warehouse across the street from the brewery, and allowed to mature for, I think, a whole year but I really don't remember. - Keep in mind, Brooklyn used to distribute so they've got a lot of room over there!

Very nice. Similar appearance of course to the Brooklyn Brown, but perhaps a little bit darker. It also shows a little bit of wood and a hint of vanilla in the nose and the flavor. It's smooth, and richer than normal (of course). I didn't find it at all alcoholic, and it was very nicely rounded.

If you can find it, it's well worth trying. (806 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Another great brew available tonight at the Blind Tiger, in 750 ml bottles, same kind as Local 1, but without any label. My understanding is that this is a brown ale that was aged in barrels. I seem to recall hearing they were bourbon barrels.

A: Very dark brown with fair amount of carbonation and head.
S: Caramel, malts, vanilla.
T: Similar characteristics as the smell, oak, boozy. Very rich and complex flavor.
M: Thick body with significant carbonation.
D: Delicious and highly drinkable, whatever the ABV is. I hope Brooklyn makes this into a more accessible release. Kind of reminded me a little bit of Palo Santo, but lighter. (637 characters)

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last