1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Brooklyn Local 2 - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Local 2Brooklyn Local 2

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009)
View: Beers (67) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,083 | Reviews: 501 | Show All Ratings:
dohastmich

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured into a regular pint glass. Color is a dark caramel, poured with a large tan colored head which does not leave on its own

S- Very slight citrus/alcohol smell. Took a few sniffs to get it

T - Caramel malt taste is strong, followed by the citrus and the alcohol fills your mouth, which is strong but balanced at the end. Leaves a nice sweet aftertaste, perhaps the honey.

M - Very thin, smooth and dry.

D - This is a very good and easy beer to drink.

I am drinking this as I am doing the review, and the flavor, most noticeably at the end and the aftertaste is constantly changing as it warms. A very interesting beer.

03-05-2009 01:39:57 | More by dohastmich
gobseulmuhri

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

picked it up from a new liquor store that had it for an unbelievable price. the 1st time i had it was in my very early beer drinking days, and so i didn't have the palate to appreciate it much. so here we go.

a - poured slowly into a brooklyn brewery snifter i picked up on my visit. poured a black cherry brown with a 1.5 inch off white head. quite the looker. retention is just okay, and there's minimal lacing down the glass

s - bright, fruity, and pleasntly burnt. caramel, raspberry, black cherry, dark chocolate. my goodness this thing smells good.

t - tastes like the smell. lots of raspberry and chocolate with a toasted caramel malt background. some nice sour notes highlight the flavors alongside sugary, molassy esters. and like the local 1, the belgian yeast is present but not dominant, which i can really appreciate.

m - light with a healthy dose of carbonation. this thing goes down easy and would serve as a great dessert beverage.

a beautiful version of the belgian strong dark ale. this has instantaneously become one of my favorite dark ales. thanks BK brewery!

07-24-2012 00:19:18 | More by gobseulmuhri
psurandy

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours a very deep brownish maroon with a beautiful thick head. I don't get a whole lot on the nose, but I do get some dark fruit and brown sugar. Taste is good, but I am a bit underwhelmed by the flavor as I was expecting a lot due to the fact that I really enjoyed Local 1. I am getting some fig, date and candied sugars but I'm just not tasting much complexity or layers of flavor. The carbonation and mouthfeel is nice and the drinkability is on par for the style. This is a good beer, but I've had better of this style.

06-17-2009 00:39:20 | More by psurandy
TheGrunt

Finland

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Very traditional style dark ale. I've drank lot's of pretty similar German made beers. Color and smell has a hint of smokey flavor, but in taste there is almost none. Very mild flavor being a dark belgian style ale and in that sense Local 2 is pretty much in line with other Brooklyn beers I've tasted. That is fine although pretty neutral taste without any "Wows" or "Yacks".

I like this beer a lot. I am not a big fan of very strong smokey dark beers, so this is pretty much one of the best ~9-10% alcohol content dark ales I've tasted in my life. If you are looking very strong tasting and deep beer you may be disappointed with this one, but I like the straight and smooth taste of Local 2 a lot. Thumbs up and high recommendation from me!

04-22-2011 19:26:49 | More by TheGrunt
Geegmasta

3.45/5  rDev -15%

Poured into a tulip glass

Appearance- A very dark amber pour with a thick, bubbling cream coloured head that slowly dissipates with time and leaves nice lacing around the glass.

Smell- A very light and fruity smell with a strong citrus accent. Almost has a kind of grassy hop undertone as well.

Taste- I was expecting more. Light and fruity but nothing really stands out to me. It is refreshing with a very crisp and almost dry feeling but again, nothing really poked my taste buds. The ABV of 9% is masked very well but almost makes this have a wine taste - but that is probably just the fruit talking.

Mouthfeel- A good amount of carbonation. I'm not the biggest fan of carbonation but it made this very refreshing as it tingles throughout the mouth and tongue. Crisp and dry finish. Leaves your mouth wanting more.

Overall- I definitely enjoyed this beer. I will probably never buy it again for $10 per 750mL bottle though. This beer is more for a nice spring/summer day with a very refreshing tone and fruit undertones. I'm glad this is 9% ABV or else I would have been more disappointed. Brooklyn has made better brews than this.

Cheers!

11-29-2012 23:18:48 | More by Geegmasta
Drone53

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

This is a great American example of a Belgian “Dubbel/Strong Dark Ale”. Poured from a bottle bought from Good Beer NYC in New York City, and pours a deep dark brown, almost black, color with a nice lace head which sticks to the glass. From the nose I get a molasses, raisin, honey, caramel, all of which finish with a nice smell of sweet alcohol. The mouthfeel gives a lot of raisin, and honey like caramel with that nice sweet finish of alcohol. Overall, this is in exception beer! If you are in to Belgian style ales then this is definitely one that you should try!

09-01-2011 01:00:40 | More by Drone53
tfarmstrong

Arkansas

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

A- Nice dark brown, with good head and lace

S - Sweet and simple was hoping for some more here

T - Smooth with almost no hops, fits very well into the Double/Quad category.

M - Smooth again, with moderate carbonation. Could use slightly less carbonation

O - Very good beer but not quite a trappist.

03-20-2011 00:52:50 | More by tfarmstrong
PeterMacKellar

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

Bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Extremely dark, with very slight hints of deep brown when held up to a light. Great head retention - not too much, not too little.

S - A subtle sweet smell, with bits of honey and citrus.

T - Good overall flavors, a smooth sweetness from the honey is present.

M - Smooth drinking with a nice lingering taste.

O - Very good beer, I'll absolutely have it again. High alcohol content makes it something to only have one or two of, definitely not a session.

02-18-2012 01:42:21 | More by PeterMacKellar
OdinMcHaggis

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

Looking good, I really like local 1. Let's see here, nice tan head, color is brownish black and no light penetrates. Some lacing on my schooner. The taste is of strong alcohol when consumed with my pizza. Finishing the bottle the flavors are more complex, low hops profile, some burnt coffee, spice, sugar. The body is full, it's sticky and pleasant with good carbonation. Overall, the spice of this offering is where I was lost. I guess an imperial stout is what I was looking for.

06-17-2012 21:45:50 | More by OdinMcHaggis
Pmazz19

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured a beautiful deep brown, nearly black color. It smelled of caramel and sweet toasty malt. It was incredibly well balanced with rich raison flavors and a hint of alcohol heat, although at 9% it is quite well hidden. Mouthfeel is crisp with a nice tingle and spice most likely from the belgium yeast. This beer went down very easily, I loved every sip of it and as it warmed so many flavors came out. I plan to be stocking up on this!

This was also reviewed on episode 2 my podcast: ghostcatbrewing.mypodcast.com
or itunes key word: GCBC

06-20-2009 14:57:04 | More by Pmazz19
roar1345

Connecticut

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

i nice reddish dark beer with a reddish orange hue the head stays along and is really huge at first.
the smell is a nice combination of maltiness and honey with slight alcohol coming through.
the taste is great malts with little to no hoppiness towards the back of my throat i taste the alcohol coming through but still a good brew. the after taste which i normally find less than good is awesome and malty!
the mouthfeel is pretty easy with the exception of the alcohol taste lingering
another great beer by the brooklyn brewing company, wish i could get my hands on more chocolate stout by them.

06-17-2010 01:14:23 | More by roar1345
funkymuppet

4.1/5  rDev +1%

Well - a great drink overall. Seems very similar to a dubbel: pretty sweet and malty throughout, and good carbonation. Seems very well-balanced indeed. Fairly alcoholic smell. which I think is in-style. Says it's brewed with honey and citrus peel - can definitely get the honey richness, but left a little wondering where the citrus peel is - unless it's orange, in which case you can get a bit of that spice in the aftertaste...
Very nice - good value at $11/bottle.

04-07-2011 00:58:51 | More by funkymuppet
jhubeifc

Taiwan

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Had this during my layover at Laguardia Airport....figured I should sample something local....sure glad I did.
This is an excellent beer.
Poured a dark and cloudy brown with a good off-white head which left some lacing. It smelled smoky, with sweet carmelized sugar and spices. It tasted as strong as it's 9% apv. It was sweet as the label suggested but the citrus was masked behind the smokey hops. The only downside of this beer in my opinion was that it was a little too carbonated for me. Not that this should dissuade you from trying it. It is an excellent beer. I brought one back to Taiwan with me!

04-08-2011 10:26:04 | More by jhubeifc
lenbert

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance: pours a reddish brown with goodly sized head that dissipates slowly. Leaves behind nice amount of lacing.

Smell: Slight aroma, hints of tropical fruits.

Taste: Very sweet, more tropical fruits and dark chocolate.

Mouthfeel: A bit of a heavy mouthfeel with a lot of carbonation.

Overall: I love malt forward (sweet) beers, so this one is a winner to me!

08-13-2013 01:30:09 | More by lenbert
chrisny4205

3.6/5  rDev -11.3%

Super dark brown but not quite black. Excellent head retention. There is almost a brown outline near the edge of the glass with a very dark center.

Strong earth and yeast smell. This covers up the citrus and spice smell rather well.

First taste to hit the palate is a deep earth Belgium taste. Then the honey and citrus come through followed by some sort of a cream honey. Don't know what that is.

Typical Belgium mouthfeel. There is some creaminess to the beer.

Two at the most then gotta switch up the beer. Not a bad thing.

04-12-2009 21:14:08 | More by chrisny4205
LiquorLockerVP

Rhode Island

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Appearance:
Dark brown sugar color, fading to a translucent tan at the surface when held to the light. This beer looks alive. There are tons of fizzy tiny bubbles hissing towards the surface in there. The head suits the gassy look, as it is composed of sharp defined bubbles. Tilting the glass, it leads a considerable amount of lacing. Really pretty when observed from slightly below the glass, looking up towards a light source. Once again, lots of dancing bubbles and dark hue that doesn't seem at all dirty. I'm psyched.

Smell:
Wow, vanilla spiced raisins.Dark and rummy. It smells like the filling for some mollassy baked good. I made some muled wine this past Christmas, and used alot of orange peel in it. I am getting a similar citrus nose off this, though it is backed up by that dense, dark brown sugar body. Deep pulls really grab the alcohol thats hiding behind the sweet. I'm thinking of dabbing some of this on like cologne, it smells that good.

Taste:
What a change up from the nose. The nose had me beliving there was going to be all sorts of raisin, sugar and spice. Instead, there is a decent amount of bittering going on. Theres some black coffee taste, and the higher alcohol definetly makes itself known. The back sides of my tongue feel puckered. Don't get me wrong, there is still a bit of sweetness and spice on the finish, but for me the nose was quite different. There are definetly stoutish elements going on too. It smelled almost like a novelty beer, but has an all business taste. Very interesting. Not syrupy, suprisingly refreshing in a carbonated coffee kind of way. Bitter.

PS- Sweeter as it warms up and blooms to room temp. Still not a sugar bomb though.

Moutful:
Prickly and light. What I thought was going to be thick and chewy was actually fizzy and scrubbing. You can feel it sizzle the tongue. It leaves the gums a little hot from the alcohol, which is a characteristic I like alot. Almost acts like a palette cleanser. Doesn't leave much of an after feel, just a tiny throb and some coffee puckering on the back of the tongue.

Drinkability:
It's actually alot more drinkable then I thought it would be. The lighter mouth feel and toning down of the sweetness from the nose would make taking down 2 pints a very easy feat.

03-28-2009 18:11:09 | More by LiquorLockerVP
Cmuska902

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

A: Murky brown with a trace of rising carbonation. Started off with a quarter inch, off-white, head which recedes quickly into a thin line. Not the most appetizing color, as though a stout was mixed with a Belgian double/ tripel.

S: Smells of Belgian yeast, some spice, and caramel. Fig, date, and/or orange smells faintly traceable, perhaps some coffee undertones.

T: This is an interesting one. Hits the palette like with the crisp Belgian flavor, with a follow up of dark roasted malt, coffee, and orange. Slightly smokey, dark and complex, the taste appears to end on the Belgian side of things. Alcohol is moderately well hidden amongst the other flavors

M: Not as thick as I had imagined, it has the mouthfeel of a smaller brew. Light and plentifully carbonated, it is rather drinkable.

D: Rather drinkable, if not a confusing brew. Not an every day choice for me, but was enjoyable and would drink again.

05-21-2010 20:19:59 | More by Cmuska902
RaggaD

3.74/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

750ml corked bottle poured into a tulip glass

Picked this up at Whole Foods last week on a whim.

A: Pours a dark reddish brown with a thick head but very little lacing

S: Sugar, Malts and Fruit

T: Very sweet, almost too much for my taste. Lot's of raisin which isn't always my favorite

M: Nicely carbonated, crisp

O: Not bad at all, but at $11 there are better offerings for me

06-29-2013 21:02:08 | More by RaggaD
tsparkinson

4.1/5  rDev +1%

Believe it or not this was hard to find in FL. But Luckily for me me i live close to the Total Wine Store.

Popped the cork, and poured into a glass. The color was very similar to Harviestouns Old Engine Oil. The Chocolate Malts were easy to recognize. Strong in Alcohol content, yet the taste was very smooth. I will be picking this bottle up again very soon. I am a big fan of what Brooklyn Brewery is doing.

04-12-2009 13:49:57 | More by tsparkinson
johnsaulrubio

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

Appearance:
Dark, deep, cloudy brown with a tan head.

Smell:
Sweet yeast, apples, grapes, fruit, honey.

Taste:
Malty, honey, caramel, citrus, fruit, spice, with a bit of alcohol. Delicious and complex. Nice, long finish.

Mouthfeel:
Medium to full body with perfect carbonation.

Drinkability:
Goes down easy. I drank a whole 750ml by myself.

Serving type:
Bottle

05-08-2010 06:05:39 | More by johnsaulrubio
bklyn1rr

Georgia

I could not find anything wrong with this one! Smooth taste and no after taste, wonderful smell, and great to enjoy with or without food. I am excited to find a beer that can be shared with friends; all agree it is quite extrodinary and exceptional.

On to the next one....

01-02-2011 22:58:19 | More by bklyn1rr
frogships

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from a .750 bottle into a snifter.

A: In dimmer lighting it is a deep, rich, dark brown. nearly black, but certainly not. up to light it is a very deep burnt orange nowhere near see thru. A soda pop like foamy head at least 4 fingers big. dissipates somewhat quickly. virtually no lacing.

S: pretty mild citrus leading into flowery notes.

T: Citrust medley. heavy orange, mild tangerine, and a tid bit of grapefruit at the end.

Mouthfeel: light to medium bodied, easy to drink. moderate to high carbonation, but is quite nice.

O: A very tasty and good beer. I could probably crush 2-3 of these .750 corked bottles, and at 9% I'd have a real good sleep. Can not taste the alcohol at all. A well balanced citrusy ale with a touch of sweetness. Very good. Highly recommend.

01-22-2012 06:39:36 | More by frogships
themanilow

West Virginia

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

750ml cork and cage served in a snifter

A- A darker brown with nice Carmel colored head which dissipates nicely leaving its mark behind.

S- Fruit and honey scent bellows from within

T- rich flavors of fruit and honey mixed cornucopia of citrus rind

M- Slight carbonated feel. Whether it be spices or carbonation sense it leaves a tingle to enjoy after the sip.

O- I was pointed to this beer and wasn't disappointed. Rich in flavor and great in taste. Wouldn't back down from another bottle if given the chance.

01-09-2014 00:27:19 | More by themanilow
decasere

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%

picked up a bottle at my local whole foods in Plymouth Meeting PA. Being a fan of Brooklyn i knew right away i had to get a bottle of each of these. They come in a 25.4 Oz Cork topped bottle and i shared it with my wife!

Poured into a pint glass (maybe should have used my goblet) it has a huge off white head which dissipates quickly and leaves practically no lacing. The color is a dark brown with a tinge of red.

The aroma is enticing, sweet candy like with a touch of warm spice, perfect for a cold Pennsylvania night.

The flavor is very right on for a Belgian style ale, no real hops flavor but you can taste the sweetness from the candi sugar and the honey, also you can get a warmth from the alcohol since i is 9.0 ABV. IT finishes smooth and sweet on your tongue.

Overall a very enjoyable Belgian style dark ale, highly recommended a must try.

edit: had the rest of the beer in my Chimay Tulip and allowed to warm up to room temperature, the hops asserted themselves a bit more, and gave an overall more rounded flavor with a dry finish, try it in a tulip warmed up a bit it gets even better.

01-31-2010 00:16:18 | More by decasere
ehagedorn

2.8/5  rDev -31%

I was really disappointed with this beer! I hadn't tried any Brooklyn Brewery products before but a knowledgeable Belgian aficianado suggested it. Not as much body as I expected. Not enough maltiness. It surely looked nicer in the glass than it tasted!

02-13-2011 02:23:47 | More by ehagedorn