2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Brooklyn Sorachi Ace - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Sorachi AceBrooklyn Sorachi Ace

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.60% ABV

This is a saison featuring the rare Japanese-developed hop Sorachi Ace. The Sorachi Ace hop varietal is noted for its unique lemon zest/lemongrass aroma.

(Beer added by: rtepiak on 07-29-2009)
View: Beers (67) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Sorachi Ace Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,584 | Reviews: 535 | Show All Ratings:
DavoleBomb

2.23/5  rDev -45.9%

Poured into a goblet.

3.5 A: Hazed yellow orange color. Two fingers of frothy white head. Retention is good and a small amount of lacing is left.

2.0 S: I've never experienced sorachi ace hops before, but I'm pretty sure I hate them. They do have a nice lemongrass component, but that's just the beginning. Super herbal with plastic undertones. It's like a plastic pumpkin or something weird like that. The hops are too distracting for me to see what's underneath.

2.0 T: It tastes like it smells, which is unfortunate. Super herbal with plastic pumpkin strangeness. A bit or earth and hay underneath.

3.5 M: Lighter body. Active, spritzy carbonation with a reasonable creaminess.

2.0 D: Not a fan of this. I'll try a sorachi ace beer one more time and if it's anything like this, I'll write them off for eternity.

03-21-2012 03:05:37 | More by DavoleBomb
n2185

2.58/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with three fingers of white head. The head recedes into a nice white cap with some decent lacing.

S: Some sweet cloves and bubblegum aromas up front. A grassy hop aromas follow with a bit of a corn smell to them.

T: There are some spicy Belgian yeast flavors and bubblegum at first. The grass/corn hop flavors kick in afterward along with a touch of butter flavor and a light bitterness for the finish. Pretty strong metallic aftertaste.

M: Light body with medium carbonation, this beer is fairly crisp but could use a bit more carbonation feel.

O: Unfortunately, the metal aftertaste and the corn flavors kind of ruin this beer for me. I find similar flavor profiles in many American takes on Belgian styles, especially saisons and Belgian IPAs. It's not awful, but I had no desire to finish the entire bottle.

07-03-2011 19:12:36 | More by n2185
champ103

2.7/5  rDev -34.5%

A: Pours a transparent yellow color. Kind of macro like. A bubbly two finger white head forms, and recedes to a ring after a minute. Light patchy lace is left.
S: Overwhelming soapy hops that really detracts. There is a light spice and lemon zest.
T: Just like the nose, overwhelming soapy hops. Dish detergent, and pin sol like. A lingering sweetness and a lemon peal flavor.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. A little on the thin side. I could finish the bottle if I had to, though I am not really interested in this.

This did not come together all that well for me, as just a Saison, or a beer. Soapy hops just takes over, and there are no other Saison qualities that I can find. Not something I would recommend.

07-18-2010 00:16:51 | More by champ103
Brent

Kentucky

2.9/5  rDev -29.6%

A saison using a specific, Japanese developed hops - I wanted very much to like this beer if only for the innovation. But, I just couldn't. The hops varietal had, to my perception, a very off character, a bit funky but not in a good way. The mouthfeel was also a bit light and fizzy, and not a good fit with the hops burden the beer was attempting to bear. Not for me, and I gotta' call 'em like I see them.

10-01-2010 18:43:20 | More by Brent
mikeg67

2.9/5  rDev -29.6%

750 ml bottle. Pours golden hue with a long lasting, tall, white head. Aroma is of heffeweizen like fruit, yeast and spices. Medium, smooth body. Taste is spicy hops and cooked vegetables. I did not really enjoyed this brew. Maybe I've head a bad bottle.

09-12-2011 19:08:40 | More by mikeg67
DaftCaskBC

British Columbia (Canada)

2.99/5  rDev -27.4%

On tap at St Augustines in Vancouver.

A: 1/8" white head over cloudy straw coloured liquid.

S: Lemon, floral hops and yeast predominate along with a strong aroma of cat urine.

T: Lemon, pepper, banana, floral hops, orange rind, wheat and yeast.

M: Medium viscosity and carbonation.

O: Not the most drinkable Farmhouse Ale I have had. Not worth the price tag in my opinion.

04-17-2012 16:02:55 | More by DaftCaskBC
Merkur

Tennessee

3.03/5  rDev -26.5%

Poured into a flute glass.

Beer pours almost like champagne. Very carbonated and light and fizzy. A ton of head- like 3 fingers worth.

Beer smells of bannannas and slightly grassy and earthy.

Beer tastes like the smell, but very muted.

Mouthfeel is extremely carbonated like champagne.

Not my favorite saison.

02-09-2012 12:24:21 | More by Merkur
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

3.08/5  rDev -25.2%

Yellow pour with lots of haze, white head, looked nice. Lemon pledge aroma, not impressed.

More lemon, lemon, lemon, up in this. Was really one dimensional. Didn't really pick up the sorachi ace hop, unless its just all lemon. Thicker consistency to the brew than I like in a saison, keeps it from having a crisp appeal to it. Belgian yeast flavors as well, with some tea leaves. Alcohol too pronounced, same with the bitterness and metallic flavors. Dare I detect some butter that actually was a better development than one would think.

I have no idea why some are apeshit for this, chalk it up to a region not having many loyalties to divide I guess. For me, this was just a bottle of lemon, coriander & clove.

08-03-2011 16:16:03 | More by Beerandraiderfan
dasenebler

Maine

3.1/5  rDev -24.8%

From a Brooklyn-branded 750mL bottle, Sorachi Ace pours a light, hazy gold with a copious head. Great retention; good lacing.

Aroma is weak: biscuity malts, a bit of funk, and a very faint citrusy and lemony hop character. Disappointing lack of fragrance.

Now, the strong points of this beer. The first thing I notice is the Ace's brilliant mouthfeel: awesomely soft and fluffy. The carbonation is high, but very refined and pleasant. The alleged star of this Saison--the Sorachi Ace hop varietal from Japan-- is present, though seems to be more than balanced by the malt. The hop flavor is nice: lightly lemony and herbal. Bitter, but not totally dry.

And the not-so-strong? I must admit, I was expecting more from this brew. There is a big, biscuity malt presence that I wouldn't say is par for the Saison style. But the main flaw I see in this beer is an annoyingly buttery flavor-- dare I say, diacetyl aftertaste. This doesn't fit into my definition of "crackingly dry", as the bottle proclaims. Clean this butteriness up, Brooklyn, sub in a bit more Saison funk, and you'd have an awesome beer.

06-15-2010 01:13:48 | More by dasenebler
TMoney2591

3.13/5  rDev -24%

Served in a Sloeber tulip glass.

A nice extra catch when I found the BCBCS. It pours a somewhat hazy (though mostly clear) plae golden straw capped by over a finger of bright white foam. The nose comprises lemon zest, a light funk, cardamom, hay, and mandarin oranges. The taste goes somewhat sideways: notes of grass, hoppy citrus and bitterness, greens, stinging lemon and lemongrass, garlic, and a very light butter in the background. Something is heavily amiss, though. I must just not like the sorachi variety, I guess. The body is a very light medium, with an active carbonation and a dry, strangely dusty feel. Overall, a pretty large disappointment that I chalk up to a distaste for the sorachi and the weird dusty feel.

06-24-2010 03:30:53 | More by TMoney2591
emsroth

3.13/5  rDev -24%

750 bottle

App: cloudy gold with a foamy white head

Smell:strong hop presence that's herbal and lemony. Slight yeast funk. A slight husky malt.

Taste: sweet cookie like malt with butter and cream notes. Dry lemon rind and rough herb finish with a malty and hoppy bite.

Fine carbonation. A bit light for a saison (i LOVE the saison carbonation) but still nice.

A bit clean and sweet for a saison but a pleasant drink.

07-19-2010 00:23:17 | More by emsroth
corby112

3.15/5  rDev -23.5%

Pours a slightly cloudy pale golden yellow color with a half finger frothy white head that slowly settles into a thin lasting ring. Not much in the way of lacing.

Slightly earthy, spicy aroma with hints of peppery clove, ginger and something else I can't put my finger on. Crisp light fruit notes, mostly apple and pear along with a slight hop profile and subtle malt in the nose.

Lighter bodied with some earthy hops and zesty spice. Hints of pepper, ginger and corriander along with a slight metallic flavor which is kind of off putting. Slightly cloying with a long dry finish.

03-07-2010 07:29:16 | More by corby112
thecarster1

3.15/5  rDev -23.5%

a- 750ml corked and caged bottle poured into a snifter, hazy lemon coloring, dense bright white head, great retention.

s- spicy, peppery, lots of lemon, yeast, bright and dry.

t- bitter and lemony, lemon zest, dry, easily the most lemon ridden beer i've ever had.

m- light in the mouth, slight coating.

d- good, missing something here though, didn't hit me as a terrific beer, i'd drink again, but not seek out and buy.

12-18-2010 21:43:14 | More by thecarster1
DawnL

3.18/5  rDev -22.8%

Pale golden color with good lacing.

The nose has a clean, crisp, soap bubble aroma. I'm guessing that will manifest itself in banana on the palate?

Banana and clove character to this brew. Definite brett flavor. This beer has bite.

This is a very surprising brew to have during a tasting. It tastes unique when paired with a line-up of session brews.

I found the brett character very similar to rye. It was a little overwhelming as I continued to drink this beer. It's still a worthwhile brew to try.

09-16-2009 15:03:10 | More by DawnL
smbslt

3.18/5  rDev -22.8%

So this is what's meant by the champagne of beers.

A: Big, bright white 3 finger head with a swirling tempest of carbonation feeding it.

S: Yeasty. Picking up on some esters but not not much of anything. Head is very stable and creamy not breaking up much to smell.

T: Bitter, peppery, herbal primarily with grass and lemon as well. If this is the Sorachi hop then so be it if not the hops are lost (wasted) in the dryness and alcohol.

M: Initially the carbonation does not help keep the beer on the tongue. After the carbonation dies down a bit it thickens up and flows better.

O: I would not say this is all that drinkable. To much alcohol to be refreshing. Seems somewhat high maintenance. I could not enjoy by itself, with some cheese it was better. This should not be a sipping type of beer

04-18-2011 02:30:15 | More by smbslt
sirdrinkwell

3.18/5  rDev -22.8%

A: the pour is a murky and dull golden corn/straw color with lots of off-white head which is slow receding and which leaves moderate lacing in its wake.

S: yeasty with muted citrus aroma of lemon and grapefruit

T: very bready taste with a bit of underwhelming lemon peel and every so slight peppery bite of mild hops.

M: mild carbonation and medium body, a bit of peppery grit.

O: not a bad ale, decent for a try but nothing i'll be breaking the door down to buy again.

09-07-2011 00:42:18 | More by sirdrinkwell
kjyost

Manitoba (Canada)

3.23/5  rDev -21.6%

Bottle purchased in July in Niagara Falls, NY.

Pours slightly cloudy, pale straw yellow. Nice white head that retains, though only laces lightly. Lots of spice on the nose though accompanied by an off-putting aroma of vegetal that is quite clearly cauliflower. This is not what I'm looking for in a beer. A bit of faux-lemon in the crisp and dry body of the beer. Once again it isn't sitting well for me for what I want in a beer. The body though does have a nice black pepper taste to it... Dry and perfect mouthfeel with crisp carbonation, though the oddity of the aroma and taste knock this one right down...

10-16-2010 00:36:17 | More by kjyost
narwhal

3.23/5  rDev -21.6%

My first Sorachi Ace beer. Local beer guy saw me picking up Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale as usual & convinced me to try this one instead. Short summary - a perfectly respectable beer, but I'll be staying with the Tank 7 in future.

This was a large format bottle poured into pint glasses. I was startled by the amount of head - a lot more than I expect from a saison. Appearance is cloudy & unremarkable. Surprisingly low aroma beer in general - every description I've read talks of lemongrass, but I didn't catch it. Taste - the "other" hops seem to dominate over the Sorachi Ace. Very good on the amount of "sourness" that you get on the front of a saison, before settling into a hoppy back end. Mouthfeel is definitely on the dry side which I appreciate very much.

Obviously I need to try a couple more Sorachi hopped beers before I decide if they are worth the fuss for me. This is a very drinkable saison but not a great one.

10-30-2013 00:25:58 | More by narwhal
BeerZack

3.28/5  rDev -20.4%

Light golden blonde color with a touch of haze and nice fluffy head that sticks a bit in little clumps.
Hoppy and yeasty aromas. Lemony citrus twang with some astringent bitter grassy smell and spicy phenolics.
Sweet and lemony citrus on the front with a weird almost aspiriny mid leading to a spicy and alcoholic finish.
Feels a little sharp on the palate, but not wholly unpleasant. Overall this beer kinda reminds me of one of those nefarious "Belgian IPAs" made with American hops. Pretty drinkable due to crisp light body and spicy hop finish. Not exactly what I'd call beautiful.

09-25-2010 19:28:31 | More by BeerZack
Jmamay22

3.28/5  rDev -20.4%

Cork popped and beer poured reveals a orange colored amber beer with a slight haziness with thin head. Smells of fruity yeast and pineapple lemony hops.

The flavor is less distinct and loses some of the fruity complexity in the scent. The lemon hops, which I imagine is from the sorachi developed hops (never had sorachi before) is prevalent. While this may have been the goal of Brooklyn brewery it comes off as a one note beer without much depth. Mouthfeel is lively and the beer finishes extremely dry. It would be interesting to see wider use of the hops to offer some variety, but I have never seen another beer advertised using this variety.

An interesting beer that I'm glad I tried, but Unlikely I would purchase again in the future.

11-10-2012 20:38:18 | More by Jmamay22
SportsandJorts

3.28/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: hazy honey color. 2 fingers of a foamy white head that fades slowly and leaves a bit of a lacing behind.

Smell: lemon bread and sweet lemony citrus. small amount of belgian yeast and just a little spiciness.

Taste: Lemon bread and sweet citrus. belgian yeast. The overall taste combination comes off grassy to me

Mouthfeel: sticky, too light and very dry

Overall: i like some of the tastes but the combination comes off unbalanced and grassy

01-22-2014 19:33:05 | More by SportsandJorts
bceagles39

3.3/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured from the big bottle at home.

Pours a light straw color with vigorous carbonation fizzing up to a billowy white head. Good lacing. Slightly cloudy but not as much as expected.

Subtle aroma, a little funky.

Dry. Grasslike/earthy flavors. Not very hoppy, a slight pale maltiness.

Smooth, nice finish, no bitterness; high drinkability, alcohol content doesn't seem as high as the 7.6 ABV listed on the bottle.

Honestly it drinks like a very complex light lager to me.

05-21-2010 00:51:29 | More by bceagles39
SirSketch

3.3/5  rDev -19.9%

A - The bright white, shampoo foam head is a beautiful sight, and the beer itself is pale gold and fairly clear throughout.

S - Boatloads of peppercorns and coriander spiciness mixed with a grassy, vegetal hop character, as well as some lemon.

T - The taste is not what you could expect. The spice is now a bit more like holiday spice. There is a woody, tree bark flavor and a taste I can only describe as lemon Pledge, which I attribute to the hops. It's not too bad, but definitely different.

M - Crisp, but not overly dry. Fizzy, with a light to medium body.

O - The strange flavor here must be the Sorachi Ace, and I am not a fan. It would be better without it.

09-23-2011 02:54:50 | More by SirSketch
bigflatsbeerman

3.3/5  rDev -19.9%

Appearance: What I think a saison should look like, a hazy golden color.
Smell: A very pronounced lemon scent.
Taste: I liked the first half pint of the 750 ml bottle (noteworthy: this is a 100% fermented ale). The rest was a chor as I found the "lemony fresh" smell and taste to be too much (if it was a claening product it would be spot on).
Mothfeel: Light, this would be a great summer beer, which saisons were designed for.
Overall: Average, I like the fact they did a saison and 100% bottel conditioned, but I am not a huge fan of the lemon taste.

02-11-2012 23:59:30 | More by bigflatsbeerman
brureview

3.3/5  rDev -19.9%

The beer poured a beautiful amber color with a 4 finger head.

A strong lemon smell from the head, and a well carbonated mouth feel.

The finish was very lemony, but not fruity-smooth as in other saisons, and the bitterness seemed out of place in this style.

Overall worth trying to compare with other saisons. I prefer a mellower saison with more fruited presence and less alcohol in the finish.

04-16-2012 02:39:15 | More by brureview