Brooklyn Sorachi Ace - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Sorachi AceBrooklyn Sorachi Ace

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.60% ABV

This is a saison featuring the rare Japanese-developed hop Sorachi Ace. The Sorachi Ace hop varietal is noted for its unique lemon zest/lemongrass aroma.

(Beer added by: rtepiak on 07-29-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Sorachi Ace Alström Bros
2.68/5  rDev -34.6%

2.7/5  rDev -34.1%

A: Pours a transparent yellow color. Kind of macro like. A bubbly two finger white head forms, and recedes to a ring after a minute. Light patchy lace is left.
S: Overwhelming soapy hops that really detracts. There is a light spice and lemon zest.
T: Just like the nose, overwhelming soapy hops. Dish detergent, and pin sol like. A lingering sweetness and a lemon peal flavor.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. A little on the thin side. I could finish the bottle if I had to, though I am not really interested in this.

This did not come together all that well for me, as just a Saison, or a beer. Soapy hops just takes over, and there are no other Saison qualities that I can find. Not something I would recommend.

2.9/5  rDev -29.3%

A saison using a specific, Japanese developed hops - I wanted very much to like this beer if only for the innovation. But, I just couldn't. The hops varietal had, to my perception, a very off character, a bit funky but not in a good way. The mouthfeel was also a bit light and fizzy, and not a good fit with the hops burden the beer was attempting to bear. Not for me, and I gotta' call 'em like I see them.

2.9/5  rDev -29.3%

750 ml bottle. Pours golden hue with a long lasting, tall, white head. Aroma is of heffeweizen like fruit, yeast and spices. Medium, smooth body. Taste is spicy hops and cooked vegetables. I did not really enjoyed this brew. Maybe I've head a bad bottle.

2.99/5  rDev -27.1%

On tap at St Augustines in Vancouver.

A: 1/8" white head over cloudy straw coloured liquid.

S: Lemon, floral hops and yeast predominate along with a strong aroma of cat urine.

T: Lemon, pepper, banana, floral hops, orange rind, wheat and yeast.

M: Medium viscosity and carbonation.

O: Not the most drinkable Farmhouse Ale I have had. Not worth the price tag in my opinion.

Brooklyn Sorachi Ace from Brooklyn Brewery