Brooklyn Sorachi Ace - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Sorachi AceBrooklyn Sorachi Ace

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.60% ABV

This is a saison featuring the rare Japanese-developed hop Sorachi Ace. The Sorachi Ace hop varietal is noted for its unique lemon zest/lemongrass aroma.

(Beer added by: rtepiak on 07-29-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Sorachi Ace Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1751-1775 | 1776-1800 | 1801-1825  | next › last »
4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Found this on tap at Leon's Full Service in Decatur, GA. Served up in a Brooklyn glass.

Pale, mostly clear straw color, with a decent white head. Noticeable carbonation. Looks good.

Nose is a sweet hoppy mix, with sugary lemon and spicy pepper. Good yeasty base.

Taste has a European hops lean, with some butter citrus zest and an earthy spice flavor... maybe taro root. Gentle hay and yeast.

Good mouthfeel and drinkability.

Nice job, Brooklyn.

shivtim, Sep 09, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

I had this on tap at the brewery back in July but did not have my tasting notebook. Luckily DeCicco's had growlers so given my initial love for this one I bought two.

A pale gold with a light fluffy head and respectable lacing. Very clear with little carbonation evident.

The smell is a sweet roll and light sweet malt breadiness with a lemony brightness. Not the usual hop pine or citrus bouquet. This is light and summery. A crispness and refreshing quality even before the first sip. Peppery spiciness and a bit of grassiness combine with a light fruit melange. Apples, grape, pear, and tropicals banana, and pineapple

This is just a perfect summer beer. Taste mirrors the nose. An apple tinged malt backbone flows easily into a tripel like Belgian sweetness. The fruit melange speaks out. That peppery spice again. Then the Saison funkiness emerges to lay a platform for the bright and super clean hops. The Sorachi hops give a finish so clean and perfectly dry that it's almost like champagne. Before that finish the expert balance they give leaves the signature for the whole brew. The is a delicate, subtle, and watershed brew. You think think you taste the alcohol but when you look for it...that taste is not alcohol.
This is sooo close to a 5 in taste for me that I have to remain calm.

Feel is light and quaffable. Carbonation is mild but lightly, creamy, and finely effervescent. You just don't want to run out because it feels so good.

The other reason you don't want to run out is because this is one of the most drinkable beers in my recent memory. Never mind the slightly high abv. The alcohol is invisible. The refreshment level is off the chart. The finish will give the dryness that deep thirst craves. You will find it very easy to go a little overboard with this one. Enjoy the swim.

A real triumph for the Brooklyn brewery. A brew that really showcases what may be Japan's best contribution to the brewing art. This is one of my top ten beers of all time, maybe a top five. A perfect beer for review # 200.

scootny, Sep 06, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

I ordered this beer knowing nothing about it. I vaguely recognize the name, but I don't know from where. BA says it's a farmhouse ale that was only brewed once, so I order one. It is served to me in a 12oz pint glass, and it looks good. A finger of white foam that goes tot he top of the glass atop a full pour of golden orange beer. It's translucent and has plenty of bubbles rising to the surface; I'm expecting some high carbonation. It smells sweet and spicy with a bit of floral hops hidden in the back. Wow, there is a really interesting taste to this beer. It has a strong malt character reminiscent of some other high quality farmhouse ales, and a unique aftertaste that is bitter and alcoholic. I bet that is the Sorachi Ace hops showing their stuff. It has a full body and decent mouth coating properties. I can see myself drinking a few of these, but not too many. It feels strong, and the aftertaste may not feel so impressive after a few rounds, but if you see this one on tap, I recommend getting a pint. It's another great Brooklyn beer.

ToasterChef, Sep 02, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

Month old growler from Bierkraft. The only reason I go there really. The twenty-five percent plus markups on their bottles don't seem to affect their growler pricing thankfully($9.95 for the fill if you already got the glass & the polyseal cap).

Inch of quickly receding beated egg whites. Pretty, table skirt trim lace, with a veil of ethereal scum floating on top. Dusty golden wheat body.

Smell is big on alfalfa(ever have a guinea pig as a pet?) & stiff hop resins. On a smaller scale, baby powder, those wonderful ginger mint hotel soaps you "confiscate" from your little excursions into foreign beer territory, & at the very end, the harsh exhaust of pissy ammonia being it's only big detraction.

Rindy tangerine & bushy greens upfront. Rubbing alcohol harshness brings a lemon, Theraflu-like astringency. Bitterness withers your tongue at first, but wipes cleal & snaps crisp with a little grass that continues on & just barely lingers, opening it up to the dry cracker malt laying in wait. Backend evens out just like a pils should it seems. Touch of apple though. A little time sitting out softens the hops greatly, giving it a pleasant orange juice note, but as a side effect, it turns yeasty as well(it doesn't float everyone's boat).

Mouthfeel is awesome. Very crisp, big/rounded carbonation that just refuses to grate on your tongue. The beer is dry through & through, getting your mouth watering for another sip. The alcohol doesn't hide very well, & is my only complaint.

I got the lemon, & the grass, but not the lemongrass. Not my favorite, but pretty unique. :)

PEBKAC, Sep 02, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

Growler from DeCiccio's in Ardsley, NY, enjoyed this one so much over the course of this hot and sunny summer day that my review is of the final pour, cloudy lemony/medium apricot light amber, creamy off white head, leaves plenty of tongues of lace as well as mighty fine looking sheeting. Simply delicious saison, mega lemon, soft pineapple, fruity hop bomb of a saison. Love saison, love fruity and aggressivly hopped saisons/Belgians. Gonna run back ASAP to hopefully get more of this nectar. Fine work Brooklyn.

Billolick, Aug 26, 2009

on tap 8/22/09 at Ron's Original in Exton

A - pours a hazy golden yellow with 2 inches of white foam that left some decent lacing

S - strong aroma of lemon hits you first with hints of some saison funkiness

T - the lemon dominates in this one and it does it quite well, and was unlike anything else i've had. Definitely worth seeking out

M/D - nice and crisp, refreshing and great tasting. I could have had this one all day. Definitely one i'll seek out again.

mikereaser, Aug 25, 2009

On tap at Diamond in Brooklyn

pours a clear golden yellow with a one finger white head that doesn't hang around long. Lacing clings tip the sides of the glass.

Notes of clove and lemon on the nose

first thing I get on the taste is Dill, then lemon grass perhaps some Ginger, pepper (lemon pepper?), light medium bodied. A healthy amount of carbonation, tingled in your mouth. Crisp and refreshing. A wonderful summer beer.

What a great beer. One of the best
things to come out of
Brooklyn brewery in a while.

DaggerEyes, Aug 25, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +4.1%

On tap at Headkeepers, Greensburg PA.

Appearance: Clear, golden & lager like. Small head that retained very small cusp throughout drink.

Smell: some fruit, pear and lemon

Taste: Ummm....different. Smooth, ultra smooth mouthfeel. I detect some slight chamomille, which adds to the overall unique taste. Lemony with a hint of pepperish clove. This does taste like a Saison, a very different Saison.

Overall: As someone mentioned below, I had one of these then switched to something else. This was so alluring, I wished I would have had another.

Kolsch, Aug 23, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

A: Came to me a nice looking hazy golden color with a finger and a half of white head. Nice lacing.

S: The hops are right up front and it is interesting. Quite a bit of citrus with lemon more detectable than anything else. Little saison funk with some pepper and ginger

T: The hops were enjoyable and different which is why I think this beer has as high reviews as it does. Quite a bit of pepper and some phenols as well.

M: Nice mouthfeel. Light and refreshing. Quite dry in the finish.

D: I liked this beer but it is not really a saison as the bartender pointed out. Somewhere betweeen a tripel and a Belgian IPA. Still a decent beer.

aerozeppl, Aug 21, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +13.9%

a: This was a slightly cloudy straw colored yellow. It was served to me with a short white cap that faded to moderate lace.

s: Lemon, lemon, and more lemon. By far the lemoniest beer I've ever smelled. In the backround was a little dry, spicy Belgian yeastiness. Overall though, this was absoultely a hop showcase.

t: Here as well; hops first, saison a distant second. The fresh, lemony but not bitter sorachi ace hop took center stage and it is fantastic. The peppery Belgian yeast was barely noticeable. I'm not sure I could have identified this as a saison if I didn't know what it was going in. This is a beer for hopheads, no doubt.

m: Crisply carbonated and refreshing. Slightly dry at the finish.

d: I tried this at the Drafting Room and they had several beers I wanted to try. I couldn't pull myself away from this though. As a saison, this is an interesting experiment. As a hop showcase, this is a clear winner. I can't recommend this strongly enough.

DIM, Aug 15, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +11.9%

Growler fill courtesy of the super trader known as NutBrown. Thanks Alan!

From the ever versatile GT 1 Liter swing top bottle.

A big pop when I opened the swing top, it pours a clear straw gold colour with a +2 finger head of foam. There is some nice lacing.

The smell is wow....lemon, lemon grass..I have never smelled a brew like this before so I gotta put it down to the special hops used. I also get some spiciness and some yeast but the lemon influence is huge and very inviting.

The taste, again, wow. The lemon smell transfers to the taste big time with a goodly amount of pepper and near the finish, I seem to get an almost earthy maltiness...maybe it's actually a Brett-yness, that quickly succumbs to more lemon that has a nice balance between bitter and tart.

Yeah man. This is a uniquely flavoured Saison that's really hitting my palate on all the right notes.

The mouthfeel is on the light side of medium and the carbonation is medium. Very nice. And...head retention is superb and look at all the lacing!

Drinkability? This is at my comfort level for the style, abv wise, but a Saison has to bring their A game to keep me interested for the whole session. This one surely did that so for me, it is very damn drinkable and surprisingly refreshing. A superb job by Brooklyn!

Bitterbill, Aug 15, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +11.9%

On tap at the Roadhouse in Brookline, MA.

Fantastic stuff. You can tell it's unique from the first sip.

A - Very cloudy with a pale yellow hue. Fluffy head.

S - Very fruity, especially citrus.

T - Soft and creamy with a lot of citrus in the finish. I kept thinking of mangoes after each sip.

M&D - Very clean and fresh as soon as it hits your mouth. A little sour but it's inviting. Very easy to drink and highly recommended.

Gatch, Aug 12, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

On tap at Gramercy Tavern.

A-Pours a clear gold with generous white head and very good lacing.

S-Crisp lemongrass, some black pepper and Belgian yeast.

T-Following the nose, lots of lemon and black pepper notes. A bit of banana peeks through in the finish.

M-Light bodied and crisp.

D-Very nice and light. A little too much lemon limits the drinkability for me.

sholland119, Aug 11, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

On draft at The Waterfront, Brooklyn.

Poured a hazy light straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was good retention and very good lacing.

The smell featured a sweet lemon and robust yeast esters.

The taste consisted of a zesty lemon, light grainy malt and spicy yeast esters.

The mouthfeel was light and refreshing.

Overall a very nice summer saison. This beer should be made in bigger batches, bottled and promoted for summer.

plaid75, Aug 11, 2009

On tap at the Hopleaf.

Pleased to try this new contender from Brooklyn. The goblet simply 'glowed' with this golden elixer. A bright luminescence never seen before in a saison, more keller or wit territory here.

Lively spicing jumps out, but is overpowered by fresh citrus and yeasty tones.

Super refreshing to the tongue. Even after a few stronger beers proceeding this, the flavor is captivating and quenching. The dryness keeps you wanting to drink more. This would make an epic lawnmower beer, yet is interesting and satisfying enough to be a daily drinker.

I could put down 3 pints of this fairly easy, after that, my attention may drift, but not many can stand that test.

An exceptional beer. Glad to try something so unique and refreshing.

ShareANevada, Aug 10, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

(From notes)

A - Bright yellow clear gold color; pure white frothy head that stayed around a while; good lacing

S - Light citrus at first, more lemony than anything; fruity; yeasty

T - Lemony fruitiness at first then you catch a more hop driven bite; biscuity and yeasty; definitely interesting stuff

M - Medium MF and a little slick; very soft carbonation

D - Really refreshing and interesting = easily drinkable. Lovely here

Overall, quite enjoyed the Sorachi hop flavors in this and very fun beer to drink. Recommended.

Nickls, Aug 09, 2009

Pours a straw yellow with a dense, two-finger head, fairly clear. The smell is honeydew melon, hay, a little funk, some barley. The taste is more grain, lemon zest, mild funk, an intense bitter finish; it gets deeper and more complex as it warms. The carbonation is full, and it's medium in body: good to start off well-chilled, in this respect, but that's kind of at odds with the temp. at which it tastes best. It's an intense but enjoyable quaff; a couple of pints are plenty.

gory4d, Aug 08, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

At George Keely's had to try the new Garret special and any farmhouse ale I'm game for. Serived in in a tulip glass.

A:Hazey golden two finger tight retention head and sticky lace.

S: The nose gave off a spicy hoppy smell with candy caramels following in the distant background.

M: Medium to thicker body with a mouthfeel of tart/astrigent with high carbonation.

T: Your mouth gets a relaxed malt at first and then is stung with the various spices, corriander and clove coming to mind perhaps. You will detect the citrus theme along with slight toasted bready and grassy flavor. The yeast strain is very interesting with full body but moving more the to acidic side.

D: Spicey farmhouse ale that you will find from others but still has the body with hops which I'm not sure which and a strong malt backbone. Something I look forward to trying again.

Brianmerrilyn, Aug 08, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

A very interesting beer made with very interesting hops. I'm not sure how many of these I could drink but it is definitely worth trying. Had a glass at the local beer bar and it definitely had great appearance and carbonation and an interesting and unique flavor. A little weaker than i expected but a very good beer to try.

david18, Aug 07, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -16.5%

Growler from Bierkraft in Brooklyn poured into a Hennepin flute.

A--Bright, bright yellow--the color of Troegs Sunshine Pils--with a two finger rocky head. Lots of lacing, plenty of bubbles while sitting throughout the tasting, even in a glass without a nucleation point. Very snappy looking beer, especially in the heat.

S--Heavily floral, with an oddly biting peppery back end. This is some weird hop action. No pine, no citric notes except massive LEMON I could pick up. There's also enough coriander to make an herbal tea out of. Yeast may lend some pepper, too. Malt is non-existent in the nose.

T--And the flavor spectrum. That's ok, especially given the season. Not like I was expecting much in that dept. anyway from the color. Let's stick to the hops, since they're supposed to be spotlighted. Like the nose, the flavor is very lush floral up front immediately--just a waterfall of like rose petals. Like that scene in American beauty except with beer instead of a naked high school girl. Hops quickly pan out into something more earthy and herbal, and the peppery bite of the nose is even bigger due to the (over)use of coriander. The spice really overpowers this hop-focused saison, and it tastes, honestly, more like an imbalanced wit than a farmhouse ale. The yeast from Brooklyn is just too, um, everyday (i wanna say boring but think that's too harsh) to warrant anything Belgian about it, I feel. But the hops finish is bitter and full and satisfying.

M&D--Creamy, champagne-like mouthfeel. Excellent. Drinkability takes a hit only because I'd rather see a pale ale or something that highlights the hop more, since the variety has such a damn interesting flavor profile. I feel like its characteristics are a bit obscured because of the style the brewery chose. But it does go down smooth and easy.

A big beer, not a subtle beer--and that's where I think it falls short. Brooklyn doesn't really impress when it tries to do complex, high-end brews, because they tend to blur together. Blindfolded I couldn't say I could pick this out from a Local 1. But maybe that's just me.

TheycallmeTim, Aug 05, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +10.2%

Lucky me, this is the 3rd time I've had the opportunity at this beer. I want to get as much of this as I can before it slips through summers fingers.

A- Pours a bright clear golden color with a bunch of medium bubbles clinging all over the pint glass. A good 1 inch bright white foamy head which quickly transforms into a white ring. Looks refreshing.

S- It smells just like the Stone-Mikkeler- Alesmith collaboration to me. Light belgian sugary, touch of citrus, hint of butter, herbal notes, and a twinge of alcohol.

T- Those herbal notes come out like gang busters, and quickly reinforced with the lemony zest. That zestiness remains and coats the tongue. That zest has a bitter grapefruit hint at the end. Starts herbal, but clearly the lemon/citrus owns this palate.

M- Mild bodied with mild crisp carbonation, does not finish as dry as I would have liked, but overall good.

D- MMM-mmm is all I have to say. This is a great beer that will define this summers beer for me. This is a tasty, refreshing brew that I will continue to seek out as much as possible. I will say that Farmhouse is a loose style, I would never have guessed this to be one.

m1ked, Aug 05, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

Served chilled in a tulip.

A - Hazed golden w/ a 2 finger pillowy white head, The lacing is very good and clings in rings to the glass. The bead is small

S - Like prefermented wort w/ a caramel maltiness and an herbal lemony spicy hop aroma

M - Crisp, med high carbonation w/ med body and mild astringent feel which also is contributed to by resinous/oily hop texture which has a dry spicy finish

T - The taste is filled with grainy light malt w/ a caramel note and toast element juxtapozed w/ a very herbal and lemony hop flavor that has a grassy light tannic tinge. The astringency is moderate w/ a crisp citrus finish. The balance between the Sorachi ace and yeast/malt combo is great giving a full herbal taste with a malty backbone

D - A bit highly spiced after the first and slightly acidic but plenty of malt character lends to the drinkability factor. A unique beer which I really enjoyed and could have probably handled several , very refreshing and full of flavor.

My second chance to have this great beer was at Ebenezer's Pub in Maine - served in a goblet
A -4.5 S - 5 M - 4 T - 4.5 D - 5

A - A sunny golden color w/ mild haziness and fluffy like meringue white cream w/ thick 2 fingers - the film of lace clings long after the head recedes

S - A floral -LEMONY dessert like aroma w/ herbal hop nose- lots of fruit esters from the saison yeast add depth to the smell

M - The feel is slightly, well not really slightly sweet...more sweet than spiced or bitter, but it works. herbal tinged w/ slightly spiced and tangy aspect w/ subtle astringent hop to give it depth.

T - Wow, the flavor of this is so unique like the hop it utilizes - The saison has so much Sorachi Character -and the saison yeast adds a gentle juicy qualtiy w/ herbal hop grass and light sweet malt edges it is delcious in its lemony hop and sweet saison uniqueness

D - I can't think of a beer I would want to sip on one after another more than this -wonderful drinkability - it is restrained when it needs to be and pushy in the most pleasant way. Elegant and yet dramatic with palate pleasing qualities
A kickass beer that I can't wait to try in bottles!

Slatetank, Aug 03, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

I had this beer at the Vermont festival on 7/18. I was well into the festival by the time I came to this beer, so may review may be a bit off. Very aromatic hoppiness. Very floral with fruity notes. A different hop flavor or something. It was very drinkable as I spent a ticket on a second sample. I ordered a sixtel for this weekend, so I plan on getting to know this beer better. Definitely a unique beer.

mark1703, Jul 31, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +7.8%

Kudos to rtepiak for adding this beer, a brew I first tried about a week ago and have sought out all over NYC ever since. This review comes from the pint I had at The Pony Bar in New York City on 7/28/09.

Pours a surprisngly light pale yellow, a tad brighter and more vibrant than your standard BMC but otherwise not much different. A satisfying finger of tight, creamy head crested the top of the pint glass.

The aroma is the first indication that this beer is something special. Floral notes unlike anything I'd ever smelled in a beer before--must be the Sorachi? (Which, I'll admit, I had to Google). Lemon, chamomile, and honeysuckle also contribute.

Taste is very floral and honeyed, but finishes quite dry. Carbonation is high, but bubbles are fairly tight so the bite isn't overpowering. Feels a bit thin on the mouthfeel, but for such a delicate beer that's probably to be expected, and given the heat we had last night, was quite welcome.

I found this to be a very drinkable beer (I had a full growler of it last Friday night), but at 6.5% it is NOT the session beer that its initial color might lead you to believe. Some may find it too flowery for their tastes, but I thought it was a beautiful beer in its delicacy. Will definitely look for this again, before it's gone forever.

samoblue, Jul 29, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +4.1%

i'm putting this up on the basis of what i had on tap at the hop leaf. by this name exactly. i haven't had all the saisons by brooklyn so it may be differently named perhaps. so if i'm off let someone know.

"Sorachi ace is a little used hop that japanese brewers created by crossing czech saaz w/ UK brewers gold. its now grown in oregon." (some backup info from hopleaf)

the beer was an eccentric saison that pours rather pale golden murky but with a wonderful tight sticky head. nose of rich herbal lemon predominately. lemon grassy, coriander, clove, licorice, and a whole lot of dandelion. rather italian in spice. robust. palate is surprisingly meaty with a lot of chamomile and what would seem like miso soup doughy. deep greens bitter that's earthy mineral but mild when blended with the lemon. although the lemon is vibrant its not very forward. the herbal quality of the beer makes it rather dry with a soft fruit sweet and predominant herbal finish. here along with the herbs do you notice the pollen and the honey of the blend. burps up lemon grass due to the lively carbonation but not bitter. mild sweet honey finish.

all in all a very unique and balanced beer with a malt character and a carbonation that seem to work with its herbal forwardness and unique hop quality. a treat.

had it again a few days later again at the hopleaf... first of the keg.

this time much leaner and not as much murk. not as herbal but just as cream of a head. seems a bit easier to take. very floral this time around. definitely a honey saison with a twist. hops had the same lemon grassy but also very pollen and a very slight sweet pineapple. but not something that made the whole beer sweet. style a large about of flower qualities. chamomile, dandelion, and honeysuckle. much crisper though. clean with only hints of a dense herb. actually quite similar to the Bière De Miel Biologique by dupont this time around outside of the that still unique but interesting miso soup doughy i mentioned earlier. better this time around though.

rtepiak, Jul 29, 2009